the Rift

[OPEN] when all other lights go out.

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO</style>
 Let the meek have the kingdom of heaven; the strong shall rule on earth.</style>

When the world is placed on your shoulders, what do you do?

If I knew the tale of Atlas, I would know. Unfortunately, for all of my inspired thoughts and whispers of courage, I learn just how long the land seems to stretch underneath my wings and this abyssmal sky. I finally accepted my place as the son of the Earth, but I have no idea what I am doing still. After all, in my mind, I have only been the son of the Earth for... I don't know, a few days? It is hard to keep track of time in this sunless winter.

Mother is proud of me. Father is proud of me. Ophelia has faith in me. I cannot let them all down because I do not know what to do. I must figure out something; I need to protect the world. I promised that I would. I left my home in hopes that I would immediately find a purpose. Instead, I have found and endless night, bitterly cold and just as barren of inspiration for my assigned task. How can I be hopeful when I do not even know what I am supposed to be doing?

I let out a heavy sigh and begin to circle downward, toward the faintly glowing lights of the trees below. I discovered them not long after the light of the Foothill's great waterfall had faded into night. Like lanterns, they lit well traveled paths across the otherwise pitch black land. From my vantage point in the sky, they looked like little radioactive cookie crumbs sprinkled across the night sky. The sky might well be the ground, for this is the only place I see stars.

My bronze hooves come to land on frozen winter ground, finding now forgiveness in my landing. However, as I come to stand beside the pale, glowing bark of a tree, I notice the grass at my feet beginning to buck up, coming back to the point of health and glowing green in the faint light. A barren wasteland at my hooves replaced with fresh spring grass. I smile, for I have found my answer. The only gift my father had given me to protect this earth, the ability to heal the land from which I was born.

If there is no food, the outcasts of the land would die before the end of the season. I would ensure that none of this occurred by providing them with relief. We were one in the same now - outcasts, that is. Lowering my head, I begin to graze upon the soft, resurrected grasses below me.

Art by Krazie!</style>

Catalina Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Catalina

Wise to the labyrinth of rabbit trails etched across the vast, unforgiving wilderness of Helovia, and well aware of the remarkable landmarks which lay scattered throughout, the young horse with a pelt painted sleek with gold and silver made haste towards the very centre; the burning heart of the country in a southerly direction. Method and deliberation cast each of her careful strides through the churned mix of muddy snow. Some magical light did meld through the rough bark of the naked trees along the way, though the darkness of this unforseen, apparently perpetual night, suffocated much of her ability to see the passing landscape around her. Touch, taste, and her finetuned ability to perceive the world through strained, listening ears, had risen to defy any chance of vulnerability.

Cat had shed the nurturing, smothering caress of her mother’s company. With fierce ambition and values that conflicted with the romantic sway of Kanti’s helpless heart, the filly had been able to tolerate such lovesick company any longer. At one year of age, the young mare had soaked up all of the education which childhood had to offer, and had fled the nest; detached from her mother’s tender breast, to engage her skills and developing priorities, and establish herself into the impatient spin of the world.

She was still a good distance from the pit of fire which she knew licked and danced always, churning a thick pillar of choking smoke far into the heavens. Cat could only trust that it had not perished alongside the sun, the moon and the stars- with the Gods, who rumour told, had slipped through a fracture between worlds and vanished forevermore.

Beneath her fleeting tread, tired wasting grass crunched, unable to thrive without the sunlight, and old snow saturated the earth, creating filthy, muddied slush to stain her pumping limbs. But then something happened, something that caught the careful young creature off guard so that she skidded to a sudden halt, and lowered her face towards the ground. Beneath the pale glow of an old, lonely oak not half way through the meadow, a tiny mat of grass was sprouting; barely noticeable at first, but as she watched with widening eyes, the sodden snow covered earth began to thaw a little so that the slight green splinters could breathe and mature before her eyes.

Cat hesitated, famished to say the least and immediately tempted to indulge on the strange occurrence. But she was also suspicious, and lifted her face to all allow all of her remaining senses to scour the near vicinity for sign of life- besides this, miracle. Softly she called also, her voice low and showing no trace of the uncertainty dribbling into her mind.

[ooc: I hope I wrote about the grass appropriately :-S]

IMAGE CREDITS

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO</style>
 Let the meek have the kingdom of heaven; the strong shall rule on earth.</style>

Slumber had found me in the cold winter air. After waiting for five or ten very long, drawn out minutes with my chest puffed out with illusory self-importance, I had gotten bored and the chill made me tired. I huddled by the bark of the tree, wings wrapped close around my sides. I tucked my head in close to my chest and slept, warm clouds softly drift from my nostrils as I breathe easily. Foolish, to stand so defenseless, alone in the middle of an unnatural light. However, nothing horrible would befall me today.

Nothing. Except the dreadful encounter with the one thing I feared in this world - a filly.

The soft nicker mixed in with the howl of dead winds reaches my ears. My eyes flutter open with soft eyelashes, my ears picking up the crunch of nervous hooves. I had finally gotten what I had been waiting for - a traveler who I could offer food to in the harsh of winter. Beneath my hooves, vibrant blades of grass sprouts fro the snow, the ice thawing in places from the energy surrounding me without effort. I glance around the tree's trunk in time to see the slight figure of a foal.

A yearling, likely, but smaller than I. I let out a warm greeting nicker in response to the hesitantly offered one she created. It is then I remember how feminine and soft the voice had been. Huffing in air, I capture the scent of my worst nightmare: a filly. This girl was a filly.

I cannot explain why, but fillies have always made me nervous. I really only had ever gotten along with mother and Ophelia. Then, I met the shadow mare with a crimson mane, and the lovely lady of lavender and tired eyes. However, all of my experiences with fillies have been, well, firstly, uncomfortable, and usually with yelling. I think back to Azulee and Cirrus, the sisters of the Dragon's Throat. Cirrus had been domineering from the start, with a loud mouth made for yelling. Even if this filly was different, there was still a chance that I would be put in a precarious situation.

I stood at a crossroads. I had promised father to be brave. I had told my mother I would. Ophelia was proud of me. I needed to allow this girl closer, and to get over my irrational fears. With a dry gulp in my throat, I take a step out from behind the tree, my bronze hoof meeting soft grass and a slight chill. "Hello," I say, my voice feeling dry and raw, but I attempt to make it friendly. "I am Hototo, son of Ktulu and Father Earth." I probably sound crazy. I sound crazy. Who would believe such a bold statement? "If you are hungry, this grass is healthy." I smile, a tight-lipped smile.

I was trying, okay?

Art by Krazie!</style>

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

The darkness was wearing on her, slowly eroding her personality like the slow roll of waves against a rock. She wasn't going crazy but small parts of her were missing, parts that she hadn't been without since the day of her birth. Slowly but surely, she was beginning to accept the fact that the sun was never to return. She was beginning to accept the fact that she would never know if it was day or night again. She was beginning to accept the fact that she was going to die of starvation. Even the herd lands could not provide for their members any more. For example, the Dragon Heart's fires in the Edge were great for warming a frozen body, but fire doesn't grow greenery.

What had once been a beautiful sculpture to look at was now the work of a mere amateur. Hints of her beauty showed through, but the changes that the darkness had caused in her were hiding what had once been a glorious vision. The mare's skin was tight over her ribs and she was hungry. The bleached areas of her hide, normally kept perfectly white and pristine, were caked with mud in some places. Especially her limbs. Her mane and tail, usually groomed to perfection, were knotted and interwoven with sticks and shrubs. What use was keeping up your personality if the darkness was so thick that few would rarely see you? She was beginning to act like her brother. And as she walked, her mind drifted back to her past.
I'm hungry. So hungry. Fuhrer, I hate you. You left me alone. You let the fires eat our land, you let everything we knew and loved die. You let me panic during an emergency. You let me run away when I couldn't find you. And then you let me come here on my own, to this horrid place where the days are always night and the grass never grows and the season is always winter. I LOOKED FOR YOU! We had our differences, but in that moment I forgot everything and looked only for you! And where were you? Gone! Run away, I'm sure. Left your sister to die. And I lived then, but now you've left me to die again! And you're not even here and I need you.
The mare sighed. Where was the charming spark that guided her life? She was so tired, loving life was hard. She was becoming a wreck. Before she had been dumb but at least she had been pretty, the life of the party. Up ahead, the mare saw a lamptree. The first she had seen in some time. Without a thought to any danger, she began to walk a little faster. Any light was better than none. And then she saw it, green grass growing under it's boughs and she nearly tripped over herself to get to it, nevermind the colt and filly that stood there as well. “...Hototo, son of Ktulu and Father Earth,” she heard the colt speak as she began to tear up grasses beneath her hooves and swallow them greedily. She didn't wait for him to tell her it was safe. “Kahlua, of the World's Edge,” she managed to spit out between mouthfuls. If he was the son of a god, so be it, but she was hungry.

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Catalina Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Catalina

As though on cue, the tilt of her trembling ears caught upon the lick of wind, a nicker to answer her own. Its chord was warm and friendly, though while her eyes struggled apart from the comforting glitter of lantern leaves and glowing tree bark, Cat held her guard through clenched hindquarters and rolling shoulders. Quietly she slipped towards the stranger, while the thick long tresses dressing her shoulders danced wildly to the unheard rhythm of Frostfall’s breath. Beneath the weight of her tentative tread, hoarfrost crunched, and the filly’s nerves tingled as she passed through the eerie, empty chill.

Ahead and not at all far from where she had paused, his shadowy outline moved from the dark form of a faintly lit tree. "Hello," He called gently, though musingly she imagined a hint of unease bothering the greeting. Cat neared, holding her breath as she curved her path just enough, so that she too would be illuminated a little when she arrived just beyond his bubble of space, beside him; touched and reassured by the parting gift of the gods and their sister.

Again he spoke, "I am Hototo, son of Ktulu and Father Earth,” though before the painted filly could return to him an introduction of her own, another horse stumbled rashly upon their flimsy, gracious meeting. The brazen mare barely spared them even a first glance before hunching forward; unnervingly close, to gobble ravenously at the freshly grown shoots by their hooves. Astonished, Cat had already balked away from the suddenness of the mare’s appearance, and peering downwards from the lifted lean of her skull, she watched circumspectly.

“Kahlua, of the World's Edge,” the mare spat, hardly allowing her voice room to flow between indulgent mouthfuls. A sharp snort that was not altogether understanding, puffed from the filly’s upturned nose in response. With slight reserve, Cat reversed to grant more space between the three and lowered her pale blue gaze, passing it contemplatively by each horse.

I’m Cat...” She offered modestly, nodding afterward as a mild smile entertained her snowy complexion. There were no airs or graces for her to buff the name with and so she shrugged unnoticeably, moving quickly forward through the swift train of her thoughts. “Strange,” She pondered aloud through a meek chuckle, glancing at the same time towards the feeding mare. Cat had not caught Hototo’s confirmation that the grass she gorged herself upon was palatable. “For the life of me, I have found no grass growing like this anywhere else...

IMAGE CREDITS

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO</style>

I sound crazy, and I am now dumbfounded.

As the words slip through my mouth, a barging body of black and white shoulders its way into the small circle where I and this stranger stood. The filly's name is missed with the intrusion of this new mare, stopped in the girl's throat, I'd guess. I find myself hauling upwards on my haunches, front end swinging wildly toward the right side, away from the tree and into a fresh mound of snow. Slowly, shoots of grass begin to peek upward through the frosty element, flushing with life at under my bronze hooves.

"Pardon," I say quietly down toward the older mare, who rips forth a mouthful of fresh, emerald grass before looking upward with dull eyes. I had never been around a girl with such a slack jawed expression, seeing as mother always has a warm glow when she peers upon me, and Ophelia always looked wise beyond her years. However, miss Kahlua seemed not to care much about her rude behavior, but did at least pause long enough to offer the us a name. My eyes are still wide with shock, but at least I kept my mouth shut. I manage a smile. She must have been hungry, so at least I quelled the fire in the bellies of one - this Kahlua.

My eyes and ears flicker over to where the original guest stood as her voice comes out gently, much less harsh than the brash mare who stumbled in. Cat. Despite her young age, there was a maturity in the pale face which gleamed in dull, silvery light of the tree. She seemed older, older than me, older than the painted beauty who walked in so abruptly to our company. Apparently, Cat is also more inquisitive than the hungry, older mare. The wind howls by my ears as I turn my strong built frame back toward her, eyes open and earnest.

The small patch of grass I had been standing on slows its strange growth, halted by the lack of my presence. The earth, however, grows more vibrant the longer I stand posed, stalks shooting up out of grass which melts by the energy being burned. "Grass follows me wherever I go," I say, sounding quite crazy again. I knew all other magic had been snuffed out, so if either of my company possessed abilities, they would think me a liar for claiming such a skill. "Flowers too." I smile at the filly shyly, hoping she enjoyed flowers - at least we would have that in common.

Art by Krazie!</style>

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

A M P E R E

| pegasus | mare | 3 years | 14 hands |

"Many worse things that could be following you."

A voice leers from the darkness, sliding and slipping through the light-less waste like a serpent. Its body soon follows into prominence, bathed bright in the peculiar glow of the tree a black shoulder cants upon. Where vibrancy had already adorned the pegasus, the foliage luminescence made her all the brighter, all the stranger.

Whatever beauty she had, peculiar or not, was mostly lost in the dark, and not just the one that pressed upon them from the empty heavens. In her gaze, as clear cut blue as the day sky, lurked a haunted shade that spoke of gathering storms and ones since passed. What was previously only a childish gleam was now the weathered look of one who has gripped fear and embraced loss. The void of the black world was only like rain adding to her terrible day.

Ampere cracked a smile though, and soon after that, a loud, out of place laugh. It came so easily, habit more than anything by now probably, but maybe she truly did find something to laugh about still. That or madness was beginning to seize hold and that always seems to inspire comedy.

The sound of joy ends abruptly, cut off by the tilt of Ampere's head as she inspects the boy before her. The girls at either side are mostly ignored, for now, as Ampere is not here simply to nibble at the grasses given by one who feels giving. Whenever one is in a position to give, one is then also in a position to take.
Nothings comes without a trade or consequence.

Ampere was hungry. She'd been wandering, lost in the dark and stumbling in snow or flying through wind exhaled from glaciers. She had known something was wrong quickly when dawn never rose to her morning song. She had once heard tales of a place where the sun doesn't shine for some time during winter, but Ampere didn't much believe that tale and besides, if she did it was said it was much more south and white beyond belief nearly always. It couldn't be here, where fall had just been full of grasses and trees.
It did make her think of her last time here, in Helovia. The image of the speckled unicorn and the cobalt plague beside him, of a flame-backed dog, it made her shudder. She had fled in haste, clutching her life desperately.
Ampere had to return though once her magic no longer came to her will. She had remember the abundance of magic here and so much talk of the gods, it seemed as good a place as any of the others she knew to find answers.

That's why she was interested in Hototo.

It was luck she was wandering by, that and being downwind of his succulent foot grass, that brought her to him. A moment of watching and she'd gathered enough to approach him.
His youth however lent doubt to her heart that he would understand his situation any better than they did.
Worth a shot.
What else did she have to do anyway?

"I wonder though, why does the grass follow you now? Just a season past I coulda made that grass spark and now it's like I'm all dried up, yet your frog's still shooting off mojo."

She wanted to know about the sun too, but she didn't think any of them would know about that. They were after all nothing more than ants to that great sphere of the day.

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Pardon, the voice of the god-son reached her ears. Part of her wished to stop and offer him the respect her deserved but the grasses traveling through her mouth and into her stomach filled a void that had been empty for far too long. Each mouthful settled her hunger more and more. As she continued to swallow mouthfuls of the sweet grasses, she heard the filly snort and gave her a brief glance; it did not stop her from eating. Vain as she was, beauty wasn't keeping her alive right now. Grass was.

Cat, the mare repeated the filly's name a few times in her mind out of old habit. As her stomach felt fuller, she slowed the rate at which she ate. For now she could see no reason to stop. Grass follows me wherever I go,the god-son's voice changed this. Lifting her head, she flicked her ears towards the colt and listened to him speak. She was intrigued by his magic. She had no magic and had met no horses that had mentioned or demonstrated their abilities. Not knowing anything of the magic, she did not think the colt sounded crazy to say his was working still.

As she opened her mouth to speak, another voice broke through the darkness. The ominous tone of the pegasus mare made Kahlua's ears flick about her, reminding her once again (as many things did) of Onni's insistance that demons roamed the land in the darkness. Her laugh soothed the painted mare's concern, though, and Kahlua let an easy laugh follow the pegasus mare's sound. She even took time to look at the fellows that were with her here. The filly- painted and palomino was cute and may yet grow to be beautiful as she aged. The god-son- horned and winged like she had never seen before. And this new mare- black and blue like she was flooded with electricity.

After the electric mare stopped speaking, Kahlua flicked her ears to think for a moment. Pondering the ways of the world was beyond her, but at least now she was beginning to recognize that the god-son's gift was special, even among horses gifted with magic. “Forgive me, my lord,” she said facing the colt. “I guess you wouldn't know the feeling if your hooves sprout grass, but I've just been starving in the snow...' It was no excuse for her rudeness, but Kahlua didn't feel very much shame either. A starving horse was a starving horse.
Yeah, so I barged in.... but what would you do? You're starving and you see food. Are you going to ignore it? No, I didn't think so. So don't stand there, so high and mighty, acting like you're better than me. We're all the same. We all want to live. So go ahead, act like you wouldn't barge in. Lie to yourself or not, I know what you would do.

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO</style>

Whatever reaction was given by Cat is starkly lost as I nearly jump out of my skin at the sudden voice of another. I had been so rapt with my current company I forgot to keep my ears open for new approaches. It takes me a moment to see her, this newcomer, as she is dark as midnight except for a few bright highlights - vibrant eyes, blue markings, and a flash of feathers in her mane. I swaddle my wings close to me as I scoot over a pace, trying to allow her in our little circle gathering. As I do so, the grass seems to extend its reach, pulling toward me, like a sunflower does the sun.

Something about this shady newcomer made me anxious, and even when she lets out a barking laugh, one of my ears falls back uncertainly. The painted lady, Kahlua, lets out a much more natural laugh, as it is inspired by the joy of another. Where this stranger's mirth came from, I am uncertain. She seems a bit off kilter, but I guess I should not judge her before I have had more time to learn of her.

I find it strange that only females have flocked to me. Am I some sort of mare magnet? I certainly hope not. All three have made me uncomfortable in various ways, and I really just want them to be normal, calm... eat and then leave with happy smiling faces. I swallow the anxiety lodged in my throat before looking over at the new mare more carefully. Her own derisive eyes scour me, passing some sort of silent judgment upon me while ignoring the rest of my company.

I turn my face only as Kahlua speaks, listening to the mare before letting a small smile grow on my features. "Oh, no," I say, my voice tumbling over my words sheepishly at first. "I... I'm not a lord, and you have not offended me - merely surprised me." I try to smile more, reassure her she has done nothing wrong beside give my nerves already wound tight a stir.

The scary, dark mare speaks again, her word choice rather strange... quirky. I find myself growing more comfortable with her odd way of speaking. She seems less ominous to me, and more like a silly soul. I am not certain if this is an accurate assessment, but she is not the towering body of doom I once viewed her as. I grow more comfortable, allow myself to loosen my stance a little. "I think it's because of my father, ma'am," I say frankly, not wishing to go beyond that. "He left me the task of caring to Helovia, and I would be rather useless without magic."

Art by Krazie!</style>

A M P E R E

Another misguided sound of mirth rises into the night and disperses as quickly as it came. The sound draws Ampere's attention to the young filly, a wash of blue on the patterned coat still stained with innocence. The girls words that soon come forth, pronouncing the little colt as a lord earn her a dismissive snort.
Ampere has no patience for children. Not hard to believe considering her own age is still fresh. Somewhere along her growth period she'd lost whatever bits of mothering she should have picked up on. The world has always been good at taking things.

The only time you are ever given anything is when you plunge into the hard cruelty of this existence, fighting for your first breathe and from then on, every other one until the world yanks back your last.

The darkness presses on Ampere like a weight. It settles in her mind and clouds her thoughts until they seem as black as the sky. She shakes her head in an attempt to clear it, but it works no better than trying to rid a fly trapped in her ear; it buzzes and crawls around inciting madness.
Her teeth grit, the top and lower meeting with a quiet click that reverberates in her mind like a fissure racing along stale dirt. It doesn't help her mood any that her stomach tightens and swirls with ever-present hunger. The diet of pine needles and bark she scrounged up from the Threshold and other forests didn't have much sustenance and set her taste buds to revolt. To then stand before this fresh, lustrous grass was a true test of her will power.

Ampere had never done well on tests.

She lunged hungrily for a patch of grass nearest her just as Hototo turned to address her. The mad munching of her jaws on the foliage nearly deafened her ears to his reply, but they pricked forward eager to know. Unfortunately he answered in much the way she expected, with nothing that made sense.
All fathers tell their boys to take charge. He is nothing special after all.
It brought a disappointing droop to her frame.
At the very least the grass she was eating beat away the darkness flooding her mind and morale, even smothering her paranoia that the grass was poisoned or magic that would turn to needles in her gut. At this point Ampere figured she'd die of hunger so why not magic along the way.

"Your father hmm? Must be an upstart guy if he left you all alone in the dark and expects you to shoulder the shadows." Ampere manages to get out between chewing, blowing a snort that sent her lips fluttering and all the grin spittle off them as well. "Can't really expect much more from dads." At least Hototo knew his - some small voice in her mind stabbed that comment eagerly in her heart.

Ampere frowned.

"So I'm gonna assume none of you know why the sun broke either eh?" The comment came out carelessly, much the same way her hopes of finding any solutions tonight had disbanded. It was her fault really. She knew better than to let her hope swell like that just because she was magic.
She just didn't know what else to do anymore and not hoping made her feel worse than having something to believe in, wrong or fake or not. It was times like these she wished she was religious, but it was times like these that solidified her realization that any gods out there couldn't give three tail shakes about them.

Kahlua shifted from left to right a few times before settling down again. She was agitated slightly. It had little to do with the equids before her and much more to do with herself. The strange mix of feelings that was within her was causing her confusion that she didn't care to deal with. Emotion one: happiness. She was meeting others, which she loved to do; and she was eating grass, which she needed to do. Emotion two: discomfort. The electric mare was odd and Kahlua was yet to decide if she should like or dislike her. Emotion three: chagrin. She felt like she was being judged for barging in and inhaling the grasses so suddenly. Emotion four: ineptitude. She really hadn't done enough to make this god-son like her, being so caught up in all the action.

Now, four emotions may not seem like a lot, but poor Kahlua just wasn't made to handle such confusion. Luckily, despite the electric mare's snorting, the god-son quickly dispelled emotion three. You have not offended me.” His words were kindly and the mare rested somewhat easier knowing that she had not made a complete fool of herself. Three emotions left wasn't perfect, but it was better. At least she could concentrate a little better on each one now. “You should not be ashamed, god-son. You are a lord, like it or not.” It was hard for her to fathom his modesty.

The banter of the god-son and the blue mare that followed interested Kahlua only in so much as she was still trying to figure out the electric mare. Emotion two. Nothing about that one was changing. Try as she might, Kahlua could still not find anything that definitively answered her question about the young mare. The mare's words were so colloquial and unabated. If she spoke so freely, Kahlua could only assume she would react as freely. That was what concerned her. The mystery of the electric mare was that Kahlua expected her to be unexpected. At least Kahlua would not judge her for inhaling the grasses- that would be a little too hypocritical.

None of you know why the sun broke. Kahlua certainly did not. The electric mare's frown did not make her feel comfortable trying to answer the question either. Still, there was a part of her that could not maintain personal silence too long. 'Well you're rather rude to us for not having much to add yourself' is what she wanted to say. After all, there was no need to make the mare like her that Kahlua could see. Her meeting with Ricochet had taught her not to run her mouth too rashly, though. No need to start another fight. “I don't suppose I'm scholarly enough to ponder such things,” she said instead. A far cry from her original plan.
Go on then, judge me as you will mare. At least I'm strong enough to admit my faults... fault.

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO</style>

While she had seemed strangely abrupt and disarming at first, I am rather liking miss Kahlua now. She speaks with soft, reassuring tones that I do not hear all that often anymore. Her words make me miss mother, and I had promised to visit but have fallen short of such things as of yet. Nuna will likely be very put out with me by now. I smile at her, giving her a gentle nod. I am not sure if I am a lord still, for I have no home to claim anymore, having given my own up. Is the world my home now? I am no Lord of the Earth, for that would be my father's title... do I inherit his title? I frown imperceptibly, uncertain at this point.

At the voice of the rather personality laden mare, I shake my thoughts out, turning to face her dark features once more. The common way she speaks with reminds me of a filly, though she is quite obviously full grown. Lively and spirited, but melancholy and tired like lavender lady, if I had to guess by the words she uses. They were both doubtful of my father, but I think maybe people just expect too much from Gods, who are busy with the whole land - or was she hear for my crazed introduction as son of the Earth?

"He just has his own shadows to shoulder in the place no mortals can travel," my voice seems earnest, though she may think I am probably talking about his burial. He had reassured me that I should remain brave. I knew in my heart that he was still alive, that he would return. However, this lady did not know that. "He will return when his work is done." A smile, blessed on a child's face, looks older on my own features now. Despite my young years, I seem old. I seemed old from my first breath, I suppose. Never have I acted quite right for a child. Now, instead of some strange deformity of personality, it makes sense.
I am old as the dirt.

So I'm gonna assume none of you know why the sun broke either eh? I pause, thinking back to what father had told me. He mentioned the sun being gone, but never explained why. He did not tell me that they all we leaving, but the lack of the moon in the sky, the almost endless passage of time, made the most sense at this point. "Well, I would guess they have all left, ma'am, to fight whatever evil was coming here." Evil, it sent a chill down my spine to even say it. However, I believe it to be true. There had been a threat posed against Helovia, I was certain of it. This would be the only explanation for the disappearance of the Gods during the dead of winter, when we needed their support the most.

At Kahlua's comment, I let out a childlike giggle. I found it amusing that she would know her own faults, but in such an accepting and lighthearted manner did she lay them down. Her heart was good, this painted beauty of black and white. I only wish I had her confidence to freely and openly state my own flaws, for there are many.

Art by Krazie!</style>

A M P E R E

The frustration building in Ampere as the two before her continued to consort as if nothing was amiss was reaching dangerous levels. Already rough around the edges the young mare would soon do something she'd later regret. In her mind the gentle voices of Zar and Taz cooed over her temper, willing her to settle, memories of better says long lost.
In some ways it made her feel worse.

I'm working with children, what else did I expect?
The clarity of the situation struck Ampere like a bolt of lightning from the clouds. She glanced up, not entirely sure one hadn't. There were no clouds. Nothing but endless black.

After the girl continued to fawn over him, Hototo returned his attention to Ampere, but his answers were no less pointless than before. He believed his father would return, and built him up as a God in his absence.
Poor kid
Ampere's sympathy was short lived, lost to the impatience of dealing with her own situation. He'd learn some day, just like she had. We all learn how the world works eventually, and when we do we wish we hadn't.

"They're too late then, the evil's already here. It's been here." Ampere responded with a loud burst of air trumpeting from her nose. She leaned down to hastily grab another mouthful of grass, barely chewing it before the lump struggled down her throat. Her eyes were still sharp and hard, the laughter gone out of them for the rest of this evening.

Ampere made to turn away from the foals, wings beginning to spread off her backside, stiff already in this damn winter cold. She flexed them slowly, taking the time to throw a softened look of blue over her shoulder.
"Don't lose that hope, it takes more from you than you realize when you do."
With that she struck out into the night, her hoofbeats soon swallowed by the thumping of her wings and then, nothing at all.

Having forgotten her hunger for a moment, Kahlua began to pick at the grasses again. She was gentler this time, taking bites more appropriate to a civilized mare. Hototo's company was becoming more calming. His smile and not caught her attention and she decided then and there that she actually like him- not just because he was a god-son. His in response to Ampere were only mildly interesting to her, but she listened with rapt attention. She was like a child listening to a story- strange when she was the oldest one here. She had heard so little of the gods though, having come what seemed like only days before they packed up and left.

The giggle from Hototo caused Kahlua's head to raise from the grasses around his hooves and she laughed in response. It was a natural response for her. The sound was cut short, though, by the words of the electric mare. The evil's already here. Kahlua shuddered. This mare was sounding like Onni and Kahlua was none too pleased about it. Her ears went back and she closed her eyes, remembering the brief interaction between herself and the Shaman.
Gods-almighty. If everyone will just stop talking about all the evil and monsters in the darkness, that would be really great. Its like every time I try to go out and make friends, someone is claiming that something malicious is present- or doing something malicious. I don't see why everyone has to be so damn depressing all the time.
Kahlua took several deep breathes, trying to subside the fear that was threatening to well up inside of her. She righted her ears and put a gentle smile on her face, a mask to hide her fears that she probably wasn't wearing very well. The blue mare's takeoff was interesting, but not interesting enough to calm Kahlua's nerves. She had come so innocent into Onni's grasp and left so ruined. Ruined only because she had learned something that day in the past- the secrets of the worst part of the world. She would rather have gone on in her ignorance.

“I think I should go,” she said softly, her blue eyes looking up to the colt as she took a few last bites of the grass and mourned internally that she should have to leave the tender morsals behind. She wanted to leave for fear that she would lash out at Hototo. Her apprehension about the dark and the evils in it made her act strangely. “Thank you, Hototo. I think I should have starved without you.” She nodded to him quickly before looking about and trying to find the next nearest lamp-tree. Having found it, she began to walk. Her steps were nervous and her head looked down to the ground. Whatever it was out there- if she couldn't see it, she didn't know it was there.