the Rift

[PRIVATE] all the strength in your heart;

Osiris Posts: 88
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.3hh :: 13.
Comadre :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Boom Boom!

osiris</style>                                                      even holding on tight won't save us this time.</style>
image by Massimo Valiani @ flickr.com</style>

"I'm glad your spirits have picked up," a growl says in the dark, sarcastic and biting. From ten feet above the head of the stallion comes a delighted chuckle, odd and cooing.

Twirling about in the sky above, Comadre the black dragon is feeling more spritely these past couple of days. The abnormal descent of starless night across the land had severed ties with magic in equine and beast alike, leaving the soul of the little reptile wanting and empty. Now, however, the scaled creature was getting used to the space in his soul, deciding that the bond between he and Osiris was more valuable than that of his firebreathing. They had survived the shades and severing of their mental connection, so they would survive this. Side by side, stride by stride. Comadre and his overgrown dog.

Their trek to the north had proved useful, having run into a lady of the Basin. Now, they moved steadfast back toward their home. Osiris knew the paths well enough by the feeling in his feet, and he was little hindered by the dim lighting offered by the strange, glowing trees. Enhanced eye sight both for him and the small dragon sailing above kept him secure in his own movements. The trio of wolves which had come with them simply kept close, unnerved by the silence between Osiris and themselves. The hybrid had decided to keep his beloved family near as possible until the shadow lifted from the land. The darkness was eerie, but felt vastly different than the invasion of shaded creatures he had faced in Isilme. Instead of a malevolent force of anger and vengeance, he only felt absence, silence. The void in his chest which was only filled by those close to him.

Don't worry, Osiris, the little black says from above, a glimmer of violet eyes in the dark. I won't leave you. The wolf felt, more than saw, a toothy grin in the night. "I am so thrilled by that sentiment, Comadre, truly." More sarcasm, but was it really? We all know the wolf would rather appear detached and indifferent, but there is a connection and warm affection between the dragon and stallion that was undeniable; it was stronger than the connection between Osiris and the cousins of blood following close behind. Family came in many shapes and sizes, with or without announcement and approval, but even Osiris could not deny the strength to which he was tied to it.

The very same bond which kept him on this earth, likely.

[ @[Cirrus], for Whit.
This is occurring at the bottom of the mountain peak the Fields sit on, to avoid confusion. ]

Cirrus Posts: 233
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8 HP: 69 | Buff: SWIFT
Whit
It was so quiet. The wind was quiet, no stars shone, no moon or sun, nothing. As we travelled through the air, coming down from our Northern venture, we watched in stunned silence as darkness befell the lands, and with it the magic that allowed my little cloud to employ the wind as her guide, and me the power to light my back in flames that could warm us. There were moments of panic, of fear that everything as we knew was changing, or ending… But the end never came, only a continuation of our existences in this bleak, abysmal world. Our direction was thrown off, and from the World's Edge, we had hoped to travel South, but it did not end up that way. Somehow, we had journeyed west, dancing along the borders of the Foothills before finally descending upon the side of a mountain. The Fields were a place we had not ventured together before, not that we could exactly tell where we were at the moment. My beloved had simply decided to get her bearings from the ground for a while until we found the correct direction to take.

Knowing that south laid downhill of the great peaks of the Fields, we turned our forms that way, myself padding down on large paws designed for swiftly running or all-day jogging, and my beloved moving at a hasty walk, which sometimes jutted up into a jig-jog of a trot on areas she could navigate with relative ease. The darkness and sheer emptiness of the world around us, however, often stalled our movements, as I navigated by scent and sound, and she by the same through me.. It was a difficult journey, one paused by many curious, not-so friendly detections of scents and sounds that were unidentifiable and therefore avoided. When I detected the scent of a particular species, I paused in my steps altogether, and instinctively, I felt my bonded do the same. Wolves. It was a thought shared by both of us, though I don’t think my bonded quite heard the fact that I had spoken the word through our shared link the same instant that she had.

Wolves were intriguing to me. I had not had much to do with them, if I were being honest, but they were a branch of canine not too distant from my own calling. Right now, I appeared to be much like a young, lean, sinewy mass of dark, bluestained wolf, my markings the only hint to my hellish nature, given the numbing of the magic across the lands. I had to wonder at the size of the pack - there seemed to be only a handful of them present, three for certain, but was here a fourth? I tested the air repeatedly with my nostrils, hackles raising along my spine purely out of instinctive reaction to the unknown. A brush from my beloved's muzzle seemed to settle the hairs back to their normal residence, flat along my back, before we made the collective decision to press on, to find our way back to the Meadow and then know that we were facing South once more.

What we didn't bargain on, was a dragon appearing.

The black one was hard to spot at first, and certainly hard to smell, given its airborne nature. We had met a dragon before, marvelled at its wonder, but this was.. Different. This one was accompanied by… wolves?

"Whoa," my beloved's angelic voice had a surprised edge to it as once again we paused our steps mid-stride, looking between the pack that travelled beneath the wings of a black drake. The growling tones heard earlier, from the largest wolf - who I assessed was certainly not all wolf - was soon translated into speech after a few moments of consideration, though it did not make sense to either of us at the time. It was like we were hearing only one side of the conversation - and then, it clicked. This beastly creature was part equine, and this dragon was his bonded - for what other reason would a dragon have to accompany a pack of wolves? As my attention drifted to the canines present, I greeted them with a soft murmur of voice, a gentle and low whine, to demonstrate that I was willing to get closer to them, to understand them better. I had been abandoned by my kin, in the fiery pits of hell, rescued by my beloved.. My experiences with my own kind were not all that positive, and I'll admit I was apprehensive about it, despite being genuinely curious and eager to learn more about them.

"Hi." My beloved recovered swiftly enough, eyeing the wolves nearby as she sort of sidled her way to stand by my shoulder, her forelimbs proving a most familiar comfort to me as I leaned against them. "I'm Cirrus, and this is Sitka.We're just passing through here." Her words were delivered with false confidence, her eyes seeking out in the darkness the hopeful connection to something familiar - something that would reassure her that she was not suddenly surrounded by predators in unknown territory, in the darkness, with only a very small window to escape via flight at speed, which was limited by the fact that a dragon, albeit small, prowled the skies above.

When she spied the golden, canine gaze of the large beast before her, it was safe to say that the fear trickling through her was palpable.
background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com
as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

• please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
    I write what I feel at the time
    and hope everyone else does the same c:

Hidden Account

osiris</style>                                                      even holding on tight won't save us this time.</style>

Osiris thinks as he hears the breathless voice of a girl that he must be getting old. Maybe, instead, he should just strangle the noisy little skyrat floating above. He smirks. HEY! I am not a rat, Comadre says as he glares downward at his bonded, a quiet chuckle filling the air as his steps slow, allowing for whoever had been so quietly following them to catch up. A large, lupine ear flicks backward to listen to the sound of the approach. A set of hooves and a set of paws. Some fool and their companion.

Mukki practically jumps out of his skin into the leg of the great hybrid as the soft call of the dog rings out. Osiris comes to a graceful stop, barking sharply and quietly at the younger one who looks apologetically at the patriarch of their little clan. Upon his haunches, the great beast turns with fluid agility beyond his age. He should definitely not move as swiftly at any age past ten, but whatever grace his lineage grants him has kept his body more or less young. From a bearded, guarded face, golden eyes gleam out in the direction of the cloudy colored girl.

He did not know of the magic that normally painted her coat in the colors of the sky, but he could not help but think of a raincloud as he looked at her, as if the magic had left an invisible trace upon her body even in its absence.

Her voice comes out more than a soft breath this time, yet there is something uncertain about her tone that makes the wolf question the confidence in her voice. He was used to being judged by others, and often when accompanied by his family, many were nervous. Maybe, except, of course, Ricochet the Idiot, who seemed impervious to fear or rational thought. Osiris gives a nod, looking at her while standing still, Kaya coming to stand close by his side and looking out with calm, yet serious eyes. Mukki stares from behind Osiris's back legs, though he looks terribly thrilled to see another hound. The third wolf, Pahana, however, is nonchalant. After his company stopped, the larger of the wolves lays down and lets out a long, lazy sigh.

"Hello," the rich baritone reaches out toward her, crossing the space between them. "I am Osiris of the Grey. My companions are Comadre -," his head nudges up toward the sky, the dragon letting out a joyous little trill and he begins to sail closer toward the pegasus girl, a smile on his small, scaley lips, "- Kaya -," head moving down below toward the female, "- Pahana -," toward the lounging wolf, his head now upon rested paws, one eye opening lazily in recognition of his name, " - and the small one behind me is Mukki."

"A pleasure to meet you, Cirrus and Sitka."

Whit
    The sweat that had started behind the svelte contours of my beloved's ears was not caused by the physical exertion we had just completed. It was as if it dripped behind my own ears, such was the intensity of our bond - the sensation was shared among us, the fear that swelled within her tried to invade my own space too.

But I did not fear them. I was curious, that was certain. I was also a canine, and we all shared a very similar manner of communicating - they did not threaten me nor my bonded, and neither did I threaten them. My beloved little cloud was scared, yes, but she did nothing more than look politely and perhaps shiver a little bit on the spot - not from cold. I moved closer to her, out of instinct, and felt satisfaction grow within me as my nearness slowly melted away the tension within her. They will not harm us, I murmured, though I don't think she quite heard my words, more than simply felt what they implied.

The largest of the canines before us spoke then, in my beloved's own tongue, and the little dragon suddenly became much less scary as it danced above us in a way that could only be read as joyful. A smile etched its way along one side of my little cloud's maw, amusement at the dark smudge of a lizard allowing her usual lax nature to peek out from behind the tension and fear. As the colourful song reached our ears, I heard her musical laughter tumble from her lips, as she returned the dragon's little call with her own soft, gentle melody. Finally she refocused upon the introductions of the remaining pack mates (for what else could they be?), and slowly her posture began to change, as she felt less trapped in these circumstances and more like she was simply meeting a new soul.

My little cloud was very adaptable, and I think it is simply a result of being born in these lands of magic and mystery. 'Normal' to my beloved was a state that was never achieved, or perhaps that simply was her definition of the notion. The smile upon her lips became more sure - it even slowly began to evolve into something so confident as to call it a smirk - as Osiris concluded his introductions. The Grey she recognised, for the Throat had lent them their power of arms when they intended to take over the nearby Foothills, but other than that, she knew very little on the matter.

"The pleasure's mine." Her cherubic voice spoke curtly, her gaze travelling between the large patriarch before her and the three wolves that roamed alongside him. I stepped forward then, my posture displaying my cautious curiosity, as I hoped to acquaint myself with those who were my own height for a change. I hoped to greet Osiris himself first, my nose reaching out to perhaps brush against his, my senses alert and flooded with information. My attention then turned to the female, Kaya, smelling the dominance of the rank she surely held, and respecting it as I hoped to make my own canine greetings to her.

"I'm not sure if he's met any of his own kind before." I heard my beloved's voice speak, feeling her gaze upon me, feeling the cautious happiness that flowed from her towards me as she urged me to befriend those of my own kind while the opportunity was there. It was interesting for me to note that she now stood with a hind leg cocked, her wings folded to her sides, apparently abandoning the notion of leaving any time soon, as her interest in this new soul grew within that brilliant mind of hers. "We're from the Dragon's Throat." She added, almost like it was an afterthought, raising her gaze to meet that of Osiris' again. With a somewhat sheepish grin, she looked to the little dragon present, wondering what he must have thought of the namesake of her home.

"Not Comadre's throat, though. It's named because when the Sun is up, it's sands can burn as hot as the fire that comes from a dragon's maw." My little cloud was still nervous, perhaps, but at least she was able to converse in a way that made some sense, most of the time.
    as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

Hidden Account

A smile breaks the tension of fear on the face of their company. Osiris had been expecting more of a battle to adapt the girl to such an unusual creature; many had to spend more than a few trace moments around the larger beast to feel comfortable, yet since aquiring Comadre as a companion, many seemed less hesitant to come to know him. The cheerful dragon, after all, was usually more amusing than terrifying, though the wolf had seen the aggressive side of the small reptile a few times. Certainly, now, as he twirled through the air like an acrobat, dopey smile bedecking his scaled face, he was anything but scary.

Sitka did not make the wolf nervous, for he was kin to him as well. In his life, Osiris had encountered more ill-tempered, greedy, malicious equine than he had wolves. The mare... well, she made him no more nervous than any other he had met in his time here. There was always an anxiety shoved in the back of his throat about interacting with strangers, yet he had noticed this dwindling considerably over the years. Comadre had helped ease this, but it was more the wolf himself feeling a change in his heart. Friendship had granted him what nothing else had - confidence. Surely, the great beast had been able to place a confident mask, but actually feeling like soul rather than a thing changed everything.

As the hellhound moves forward, Osiris drops his head allowing for the noses to touch in greeting, soft muzzle against damp snout. Kaya's hackles raise slightly in excitement, though her face turns with a calm expression, golden eyes cool. Barking once, the female moves slowly toward Sitka, tail raised high, extending a muzzle toward him in greeting before shifting back, remaining ever watchful of the situation.

Unable to contain his excitement, Mukki rushes forward from behind Osiris, seeing that Sitka is more than willing to befriend the group, all bushy-tailed with dark eyes gleaming in delight. His wirey frame has an uneven, clumsy looking gait as he comes to a stop, taking up a playful stance in front of the hellhound, tail curved in easy submission. Face turns up to try and lick Sitka's face, an easy grin on his face as well.

Pahana simply opens an eye, letting out another sigh before closing it once more.

"They have lost many brothers and sisters," he says evenly, when Cirrus mentions that Sitka has yet to meet any of his own kind. Osiris's own family had lost many of their pack back in Isilme, many he had known as well. "So, I am sure they would not mind making a friend." A slight grin, just the fleshy corners of the hybrid's lips lifting. "Mukki obviously wants to."

The mention of the Throat brings forth no particular memory from the wolf, as he had never spent much time far south. He remembered seeing the crimson desert from a distance when he had fought the Boggart to defend Nadira, but never actually traveled to the sands. Now, however, the fading scent of arid dust which emanated from the cloudy girl made perfect sense. At her clarification, Osiris lets forth a chuckle, even as Comadre gives another delighted trill at hearing his name. He comes to land upon the ground close to the girl, waddling on hind legs awkwardly toward her. "Ssssirrrruss," he coos, a smile on his angular face.

"Impressive," the wolf says. "I am obviously more suited for the cold."

Whit
    With keen interest I greet my fellow canine friends, tail wagging with more confidence and enthusiasm as the meeting goes successfully. To the female I give gentle deference, acknowledging her as the matriarch of this clan and respecting that rank with my own soul-bound status, which inevitably made me an outcast among wolves. I was not part of a pack, not a traditional one - my beloved cloud was my world, I needed no others, though it was an enjoyable experience for me to meet them, to find them so welcoming. Mukki springs forth and I find myself wearing an easy canine grin, my tongue lolling to the side as I bend my crown low to snuffle the belly he willingly exposes - an act of friendship and play. My posture bows to him then, my tail waving above my haunches as I let loose a low bark, hoping to initiate a chase about the nearby bushlands.

Behind me, my cloud grins as well, the playful happiness that swells within my chest makes her stand further at ease, further relaxed amidst this crowd of predators. Her faith in me was the same as mine in her - she would not let harm ever come by me, just as I would never let harm come to her. As Osiris' laugh grumbles from his maw, I feel the tenseness rise within her, as she initially mistakes the deep, gravelly tones to be a growl. Easy, my cloud, I murmur to her, and it is with surprise that she finally acknowledges my voice. Sitka?! I feel her eyes upon my back, and I peer at her for a moment over my shoulder, a dark eyelid closing over a cerulean orb in a cheeky wink. But, you sound like him.. Already I know who she speaks of, for his image flows through her mind, the many memories she held of her father surfacing as she recalled the timbre of his voice, the warmth and love and devotion. With pride, I acknowledged this fact, simply murmuring once more, play now, speak later.

The surprise of both Osiris' deep laugh and my voice had placed a silent spell upon my beloved. Her azure pools looked back up to the golden depths of the hybrid's, before her attention swivelled to the little dragon that approached her, cooing her name. A grin split her mouth once again, as her own angelic, musical tones coloured the area, the laughter of a cloud something I find to be an indescribably pleasant sound - I could listen to it all day, which was often why I made it my own daily mission to generate a laugh from the wondrous belle. Her nose reaches out to the little dragon, hoping to brush against his scaly muzzle in a friendly greeting, her own curiosity getting the better of her as she drinks in his new and interesting scent, finding him much less scary now that he playfully sung her own name. As the great wolf speaks again, her ears twist atop her tiara, and she lifts her visage to view him wholly once more.

"With this darkness, there isn't much heat anymore." She speaks, the sadness of our situation made obvious in the tones she employed, so drastically different from the laughter of before. "I never knew.. or rather, appreciated it before now, the comforts of the sun, and the moon." Sad melodies hummed from her maw as she looked to the starless sky above, as if hoping to see something different than the bleak expanse of nothingness we had become familiar with. As her words settled further into her mind, she was reminded of how much she missed her father, in his absence, how much she always assumed that he would always be there for her - for us. Easy, my cloud, I say again, my deep tones having an immediate soothing effect upon her troubled soul, as I chase away that stormcloud of depression which sometimes threatens to swallow my beloved up in a whirlwind of grief and darkness.

• I enjoy being tagged.

Hidden Account

The wolf was passive, standing amidst the excitement of his family, but unable to hear the words in their mind. The silence had been shocking, lonely at first, and even Comadre had been affected heavily at first. With resilient souls, the clan plunged through the Endless Night easily, filling the gap of sunlight with close companionship. Osiris was reminded of the time he had been awoken by Kaya, just after the cataclysm of Isilme. Within the mountains, injured but more certainly alone, the great hybrid had been saved by the serious-faced lady and her welcoming family.
    The same family they shared now, minus a few faces that Osiris recalled in quiet, stoic pain.

It was delightful to see Mukki taking so well to Sitka, for the poor boy could never play with Pahana and Kaya often grew tired of his antics. Immature, wirey, ecstatic. Mukki is full of life that they others do not always appreciate. The expression chiseled in the face of the hybrid softens slightly as he watches the pair of hounds meet, the small wolf rolling to his feet to chase after the hellhound. Strangely still but gentle, turning back into a face that was overcome by shadows hiding his secrets, emotions, and thoughts. It is the distraction of Mukki that allows for Osiris to miss the shifting of emotions on Cirrus's own countenance, seeing just the small widening of her eyes lessen as his focus returns to her stormy appearance once more.

Maybe she was surprised by the laugh, as it is more of a growling bark than anything equine, but that is unavoidable, given his makeup, is it not? Osiris could soften his words, his biting sarcasm, and even his skepticism of others, but he could never change what he truly was. This, my friends, is the cage that the wolf is born into. It is also the cage he will die in, if he does not learn how to look past what he is and learn who is inside. Comadre already knows.

The hybrid takes a nod to her first statement. The normally chilling breath of winter was made even more painful in the absence of light, and even he, the one born into the shadows of life, found himself seeking the warmth of light upon his fur once more. However, he counted himself lucky that he at least had family to keep him warm. This girl, Cirrus, what did she have, aside from Sitka? He wondered vaguely about what awaited her in the south, if familiar faces would greet her with warm smiles. Would adoring eyes feel like the sun upon you? He wondered, and then she laughed.

Delighted with the slender black dragon cooing like an idiot.
    Ah, well, some things never change.

"It is easy to miss the importance of things thought permanent," he says in agreement, voice musing vaguely, as though he were remembering something once lost. In his mind, the face of a certain dapple grey appears, flickering behind his eyelids, which blink swiftly to turn her away. She was never coming back. "What is the expression? You never know what you have until it is gone." He smiles, nearly a melancholy sight despite the normal associations with such.

"To have learned such a lesson now, I sympathize with you."