the Rift

hills and highlands [madmask]

Aylin Posts: 89
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 :: 3
ali

The moon looks upon many night flowers;
The night flowers see but one moon

Ever since my parents decided to make the Foothills our permanent home I've felt a little bit of a reprieve from the heat. For whatever reason it didn't seem so intense in the lands of the Earth God. I don't know if the World's Edge has faired as well as the Foothills. I've heard rumors that their forest had been burned down by the Sun God, but I really don't know if I can believe them or not. I hope the rumors are only rumors and that the sun hasn't defiled the land of the moon, I really do. Maybe one day I'll go there myself to see. Maybe I'll even meet King Mauja again. He certainly seemed nice enough. He'd even said I could visit him if I wanted to.

I lay in the shade of one of the Foothills' giant trees, watching the sun as it dips below the mountain tops. When the last little bit of it sinks out of view I finally push myself up and stand. Despite the milder temperatures in the Foothills it is still hot and the minute the sun is gone I can already feel it cooling. This goads me into action and I turn on my heels and begin running toward the waterfall and the pool it feeds.

Despite the already growing coolness of the evening I still begin to work up a sweat. When I finally reach the pool I only take a moment looking up at the waterfall before running in to the water. I lay down and roll, letting the cool water seep the day's heat from my small, dark body. When I stand I shake the water from my coat, which serves very little purpose because moments later I am rearing only to crash down into the water and send waves of it crashing up into my face. I laugh then run, or try to, through the water bucking and splashing the water everywhere.

Madyrn Maskan Posts: 87
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 16
Whit

Grins, hidden beneath the handsome curl of their cheekbones, stood poised upon the visages of the brothers, who had been testing out their gifted cloak of mist from the Earth God. They liked it very much, the way they could manipulate and stretch the mist about them, cool sensation of it running over their skin. The practised with it on each other, though it was hard to hide their forms from such familiar eyes, the misty cloak more attuned to hiding one from an enemy than a friend, let alone a brother.

When the cloak was not obscuring their forms or protecting them from heat, it seemed to shrink about their manes, the charred locks always feeling cool and slightly damp, with an odd glow around them as the mist lingered near it. In unison the brothers would flick their crowns to and fro, making the small cloud of vapour rise slightly before it settled a bit closer to them. Yes, they liked the Earth God very much, having respected him before for his sovereign place amongst the heavenly powers, but always feeling closer to the Moon due to their upbringing – now they held the Gods in equal stead.

Splashing caused both steeds to pause their ambling walk about their homeland, ears pricking and senses seeking the identity of such a ruckus. They visibly relaxed when it was revealed to be the moonlit filly gallivanting about the place, a fondness warming them from within as they watched her. Indeed, they considered her a kid sister, accepting her into the embrace of their family with ease. Restless, Madyrn paws at the earth beneath, stirring dust, making it clear what he thought they should be doing. Slashing his tail against both their hocks, Maskan then initiated the action of surging forth to join the filly.

There was purpose to everything these stallions did. They had sent Aaron on what appeared to be a death mission, but they knew the kid was tough, they trusted he would survive, with his brains filled to the brim with lessons – though they also knew he would continue to grow, just as they did. They watched this filly now, and while they were her protectors, they would also enable her to protect herself, albeit indirectly and without her even realising.

Madyrn rounded the young belle, standing deeper in the water, his flamed forelegs being swallowed by the lake, splashes cascading outwards from his lengthy trot. Maskan came up the other side of her, facing the other direction, so that as the brothers moved they danced a very wet circle around her. Laughter rumbled in their chests, as playfully both brothers took turns in attempting to place gentle, tickling nips upon the cherubic belle’s hide.

Aylin Posts: 89
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 :: 3
ali

The moon looks upon many night flowers;
The night flowers see but one moon

I was startled by the sudden appearance of one of Mirage's brothers, Madyrn I think it was. The water effectively obscured my view of his legs below the knee, so I couldn't see if his stranged stockings were on his front or hind legs. It didn't really matter, though. I loved both of them as if they were my family just as I loved Mirage and Akaith. More splashing had me turning to look behind me and I spotted the other brother as he circled. As they moved they laughed and it reminded me of the deep rumble of thunder that I'd heard on occasion when the night had begun to cool. I smiled brightly at them and laughed again at the ticklish nips they were giving me.

I began twisting and turning, running with the two as I tried to dodge some of their nips. They made it seem so effortless to move in the water, where I struggled some at times. I tried giving them nips of my own whenever I managed to get close enough to them, but most of the time I only managed to get a hold of their tails. It didn't really make a difference to me because when I did get a hold of their tails I would tug on them then run in the other direction. They always caught me, though, and they always tickled me more.

I wish I could have this much fun with Cyrus, but even though I love him we never see eye to eye or even get to spend much time together. When I'm sleeping he's awake and playing, chasing the sun across the sky. When he's asleep I'm awake and basking under the glow of the moon. I do love Cyrus, but I feel more of a connection with Mirage and her brothers because we all love the same being. It saddens me at times, but I do have hope that one day my brother will see how good the moon is and how destructive his sun is.

The more we play, the more nips I get and the more I struggle to catch up with the brothers the more I realize that I'll never be able to. Their legs are so much stronger than mine are and carry them easily through the water at a swift trot. At least I think it's swift. So I decided to give up trying to catch them and, instead, begin bucking and kicking again to try and shower the brothers with as much water as I can.

Madyrn Maskan Posts: 87
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 16
Whit

The brothers behave like a flame that has endless energy, and they are pleased to see their actions inspire reactions from the filly, reactions that were fuelled by youthful energy, but also a spark which they aimed to direct for their own purposes. Though they moved in play, such activities were excellent for strengthening the core muscles of one’s body, as well as the legs, and for improving general co-ordination. Laughter rumbled from both of them as she would hold onto their tails, not always by their intentionally slowing down for her, which impressed them so. With approval they noted her change of tact, it was a good idea to alter one’s method of attack should the initial method grow too tiring and have little effect.

The cooling water that doused them brought welcome relief from the heat, their frames growing darker as the liquid seeped into their coats. Deep chuckles rolled from their chests, both brothers rising on their hind legs to serenade the child with splashes from their forelegs. Madyrn was first to land from the rear, and swiftly ran towards the miniature bucking bronc, deftly hoping to grab a hold of her tufty tail and tug her off balance. Maskan landed slower, and watched his brothers antics, moving swiftly to have his larger frame buffet the filly’s, so that he might better aim her path towards them. Her small hooves might have struck them once or twice, but they were warriors, used to such rough-and-tumble games with each other – these things did not hurt them.

She was fun, this little moon child, and she was full of life, something the brothers could appreciate, use. They could run with her until the day turned to night and then day again, for as long as she could keep up. They would continue to push her until she fell, then they would push her some more, so that she fell less and less. They saw the potential and they longed to help it reach its peak. “Strike us like you mean it, little moon belle,” Maskan’s gentlemanly voice taunted, followed swiftly by his brothers addition of “we won’t stop until you learn to keep going.” Were they bullies? Maybe their methods hinted at such. But they were acting on behalf of the greater good.

It just so happened that the greater good coincided with their amusement.