the Rift

Innocence of the Stars

Avarielle Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Silence. I am surrounded by it. Nothing but the sounds of our breathing. Even that barely audible in the heavy night.

"You should be resting, you have to be sharp tomorrow Avarielle."

"Torolf, I wish to be a star," I don't look back to see the stallion's reaction, "I cannot bear another day of this battle. I believe that the stars are able to keep their glimmer for centuries because they only come at night. They see the world differently from the sun. The sun boils and rages from what it sees in the daytime; war, pain, lies, hate. But the stars remain soft, the world looks different at dark. Even hardened soldiers are innocent looking in sleep, the darkness cloaks the harshness of life in a blanket. I want to see life like the stars. If I see one more battle I think that I will lose my.... 'glimmer'."

The stallion stopped walking towards me. The only movement is the high grass lightly dancing at our hooves.

"Avarielle." he says my name in a choked whisper and he still doesn't move towards me. So I go to him, the wind picks up and pushes me towards him I go into a light canter.

I get to him and wrap my neck around his, he flinches before softening and returning my embrace.

"You weren't meant for this life Av. You can't harden yourself like the rest of us can. You should be dozing off in the sunshine with some little girl braiding flowers into your mane."

We both lay down together.

"Then I wouldn't have met you." I look up at him from under my lashes.

"I remember the day you got brought into camp for training. You were so quiet and withdrawn from the rest of us. You seemed so vulnerable," I flinch at being described that way, "Not in a bad way," he laughs, "I guess I just couldn't resist a pretty filly. Not very often do we get a good looking mare around here, before we had you all we had was the cook's nag. Although I may have chased after once or twice."

I cannot help but to laugh at the image, "Shush Torolf, she is so sweet. You would be lucky to snag a mare like her."

"I felt such a need to protect you. I didn't know what from at the time. I stood close by while you slept, grazed as close by as I could without making you uncomfortable. I longed to have you notice me. Then when I got in that fight with the older horse and he knocked me to the ground you ran in and stood over me protecting me from that final blow." I lift my head and crane my neck in a show of mock strength and pride. "Avarielle, you are a star. You have been my shining star in all of this."

He reaches over and places his muzzle against mine I feel tears well up in my eyes. We lay in that way for a few moments, treasuring the moment before he begins to stand.

"Stand up Avarielle." His voice and eyes have suddenly turned to flint.

"Torolf?"

"Just do what I say," he barks, my head spins at his tone. Never before has he talked to me this way. Never had I imagined he ever would.

I pause for a moment and he pins his ears back. Once I get to my feet I take a few hesitant steps towards him and he lunges at me pushing me away from him.

"What are you doing?!" Hurt and confusion saturate my voice.

He charges at me hooves striking out hard against the ground, but I can't get myself to move from his path. He barely slows as he reaches me, throwing himself up into a rear pawing the air above us violently.

My beloved Torolf looks as fierce as what his name implies. When I still refuse to move he begins striking at my legs, forcing me to move back.

I beg for him to stop, tears overflow from my eyes. He continues his attack forcing me to flee from the camp.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

My heart shattered as I drove off the one bright thing in my life. I answer her question long after she is gone.

"I'm protecting my star."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Standing hidden in the edge of the forest my heart aches. I watch Torolf stand by himself with his head hung low. I want to go to him, but I fear his reaction.

I spend days like this following behind always hidden away in the forest. One morning I wake up to silence. No morning bustle. I look out from the forest to see what was left from an ambush. The enemy must have attacked early morning before everyone had woke.

My heart runs wild as I crash through the massacre, how could I have slept through this? While dodging the few remaining men Torolf is my only thought. He is my only need. Every fallen horse I see is him. Every groan, every ear shattering cry comes from his lips.

And then I see him. He is laid on his side facing away from me, but I can see his breathing is labored and he is covered in sweat. I slow to a walk trying to prepare myself for what I might find.

"Torolf."

"Avarielle?" His voice sounds tight, forced. "Just can't stay away from me can you?" The stallion has a smile in his tone, but it all still sounds off.

"Stand Torolf." I need to see him get to his feet. His answering silence makes my blood run cold. "Stand up!" I desperately nudge at his back with my head trying to roll him up onto his feet.

"Avarielle!" he says my name through clenched teeth. "It's my leg. It's broken. You need to go."

I fall to my knees. Everything inside of me breaks. I lay my neck across his. I can feel his racing heartbeat against mine. Together as they always should have been.

A human's footsteps approach, I snake my head towards them baring my teeth. But another comes from behind.

"Go! You know there is nothing you can do, even if you run them off it will only happen slower Avarielle. This is what I want. Please go."

I squeeze my neck harder against his, one last embrace, before I numbly stand. I don't feel the wind as I race across the field. I don't feel the lush grass brushing at my legs. I feel the anger of the boiling sun.

I run away from the sound of a sword being drawn from its sheath. I run away from the glinting of the raging sun on sharpened metal. I run from the sound of Torolf's scream.

I run to where I can find dark. I run to find the innocence of stars.

I run for weeks. I run through the day and night. Rarely stopping for rest. When I sleep Torolf gallops in ahead of me dashing through the trees urging me to follow. I find the same landmarks in my waking runs. And I follow.

After nearly a month of running I can feel a change in the atmosphere. The land seems quiet, a feeling of reverence fills the area. As I walk further in I am surrounded by darkness with strange trees lighting my path.

I lift my nose to the strange lights and let out a snort jumping back after feeling a strange tingle. I put my nose on it again and let out a happy squeal of laughter at the strange trees.

I see familiar movement in a nearby opening. A stallion rears and lets out a joyous call before vanishing. I have found where Torolf thought I belonged.

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

OOC| Your writing is beautiful- I really felt the story :)

Kahlua wandered aimlessly, following the glowing trees that lit the path. Since the sun had been permanently extinguished, the glowing trees had provided some of the only light in the land. She didn't like it very much. For one thing, it was damned hard to see. For another, her internal clock was being messed with to the point that she hardly knew if it was day or night anymore. And with nothing to do but try and figure out if it was day or night, where the next step in the darkness would take her or when she would next find a bite of eat, she was stuck thinking. Now, as it was, Kahlua wasn't much of a thinker. Nobody had ever accused her of being smart, so brooding and pondering were stressful to her. But even more stressful was what she as thinking of with every step she took now- memories. None were so sweet as the ones that made you who you were, but neither were they ever so bitter.
Can I even remember my home? Sure I remember. There was father, Judas Priest. They called him the Preacher. He lived in his little, crumbling castle, rarely taking the time to come out and check on his herd. Was he a good father? He might have been, if he had showed a little more interest. Do I know what happened to him? No, but do I care? Not really. And mother. Oh, sweet mother... well, sweet isn't exactly the word. Krystal Nacht, the queen of the damned. She was lovely... what more is there to say? And Fuhrer. We had our differences. I loved him. Did he reciprocate? I don't know. I think he was always a little jealous that I was so much prettier. Until...
She shook her head to ward off the memories before she could think any further. She hated remembering the disaster, the fires, the destruction. She hated remembering the fear, the confusion. Mostly, she hated that she couldn't find him. Would her and her twin, Fuhrer, have been friends was he here today? No, most certainly not. But did she regret losing him? Every day. At least missing someone lost in a disaster was easy. If she had to question why he left, why he chased her off, why he died... her poor brain would have been worked to it's last straw.

Unexpectedly, the painted mare noticed movement out of the corner of her eye. It always seemed like she was sneaking up on others and scaring herself. She was a little unobservant, it was hard to be otherwise. The mare before her was large, both in height and girth. A draft breed, and seemingly better fed than many of the horses Kahlua had seen in Helovia as of late. Kahlua herself was growing skinny in these cold and dark times. As Kahlua trudged through the snow towards the ebony mare, she let a smile cross her face. “My name is Kahlua, friend. Welcome to Helovia.” She wasn't entirely sure how she had made her way to the Threshold, where she had just so recently crossed into Helovia, but since she was here she may as well do some recruiting. She was sure the brownie points with Thor and Mirage wouldn't hurt her quest for fame throughout the land.
.KAHLUA

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Unregistered
Ooc- Thank you so much! That is an even bigger compliment after reading more of your writing. Kahlua is a really interesting character.

I cannot help but be delighted with my strange surroundings, my entire being aches for the adventure and fresh start that this land is sure to bring me. The cold snow piling around my hooves and upon my back glides through the air settling upon everything leading the forest to look fresh and un-trodden upon.

I take this as a sign that my fresh start has began. My heart aches for the loss of Torolf, but spending all of my time grieving for him only seemed to rip a larger hole in my heart.

"My name is Kahlua, friend. Welcome to Helovia."

I am startled from my thoughts by a voice that could only be described as a soft tinkling; every word soft and lilting. A gorgeous black and white mare walks through the snow in my direction, even while plowing her feet through the snow she manages to make every step a dainty dance. She is small in stature but has a way of carrying herself that makes her presence massive.

"I am Avarielle," I go into a dip of a bow, not too low, but not keeping my head above hers either. It was something I learned from my war time, treat all like a prince until you know otherwise.

Her smile was the brightest I had seen, but her eyes darkly sparked with thoughts and ambitions. I cannot help but smile back at Kahlua, her seemingly lightness in mood is contagious. But I do believe that the mare won't be an easy one to figure out.

"What is Helovia? Are there other horses? Are you by yourself?" My head spins with all of the questions I wish to ask her. I remember the trees that look as if stars had come down to rest upon them, "What are these trees?"

I'm excited to have came across another horse after being alone for so long.I didn't realize how badly I wished for someone to speak with until now. Too late I realize my excitement over took my composure leading me to act like a boisterous yearling.

I lay my pricked ears back some trying to portray a bit more indifference in my speech. "I would like to know more about this place, and if I could grow to call it home."

A shiver overtook the mare as she waited just briefly for a response from the large, draft mare. The falling snow and the winds were chilling, and perhaps silencing too. The draft mare's jump surprised Kahlua, only because the painted mare was rarely silent enough to count herself among the sneakier equines of the land. Of course, the darkness probably lent itself to her stealthy approach. “Avarielle.” The painted mare repeated the name to herself several times. She would need to remember it if, in fact, she would be introducing the draft mare to the herd. As she was repeating the name, Kahlua was pleasantly surprised to see the draft mare bow her head. A little bit of stroking the ego went a long way- and Kahlua was sold. An occasional reminder of her beauty was a welcome thing.

The draft mare smiled back and, if it was even possible, Kahlua stood just a little straighter and perfected the arch of her neck just a little more. If she was being treated like a princess, she should act like one. She had never really gotten along with too many mares- but this one may prove to be the exception. Suddenly, the draft mare's questions came rushing forth and Kahlua laughed, a gay sound that filled the cold air with life. It was not mocking or rude, but welcoming. She knew all too well the emotions that were causing the draft mare to rush through her words. As the mare composed herself and settled to a quieter mood, Kahlua found her chance to respond, in turn, to each of the question.

“Helovia is the country you walk in. There are horses, but you will find winged and horned companions here as well. I have to say I was shocked myself!” She didn't hide emotions well, but didn't care either. She paused just a moment to reflect upon her own arrival here, the first horse she met being a large black stallion with leathery bat wings. “I suppose I'm by myself right this moment, but I was taken in by the members of the World's Edge, a large herd that serves as my family now. As for the trees...” She trailed off briefly and looked towards one of the strange lamp trees, her mood darkening for a moment. In meeting this new mare, she had briefly forgotten the darkness pressing all around them. “The sun has not risen in weeks. They say it has to do with the Gods, though I know little of them.” Still, the darkness could not keep her down long, this was too joyous an occasion. “Homes here are plenty, though, and I'm sure you'll grow to love it despite the darkness. Thor the Gentle Heart welcomed me with open arms to the Edge. There are other herds as well, some my allies and enemies only because of my home. I can't say why, the rivalries have a history in Helovia much longer than my own.” She paused to laugh a moment. “Politics!”
So I see you love me, which is great, because I'm wonderful. And now that we've gotten over that part, you can just keep on loving me. And bowing to me. And anything else. See, one day I'm going to be in charge, so really this is all just good practice for you now. And I like you, so we'll be perfect together. I'll run the show and you can be my second in command. Maybe. Just don't get any prettier, we can't have you distracting from my beauty. Not that you'd ever overtake me just... we don't need any bad feelings between us, do we? So just show me you're useful and we'll be the best of friends. It'll be great!
.KAHLUA

Unregistered
I smile at the mare's reaction to my bow, even if she isn't one of position it was worth the effort if only for her reaction. I laugh along with her at my blurted questions, such a freeing feeling. I feel comfortable around Kahlua. She is so bright and welcoming chipping away at my usual reserve for strangers easily. I listen intently as she answers each of my questions.

My head is left reeling by the mare's words. "Winged and horned companions?" Surely she is referring to other animals, possibly the birds and deer, not other horses. But why would she be shocked at the sight of birds and deer? My heart races at the possibility, the thought of gliding through the air on a pair of wings has me near dancing with excitement. I can't hold back from throwing my head back and neighing to the sky in celebration. In that moment I know that my future is rooted in this land.

"I suppose I'm by myself right this moment, but I was taken in by the members of the World's Edge, a large herd that serves as my family now."

I feel my body warm at her use of the word family. I had never really had family. After being torn from my mother at a young age and sold into the military Torolf was all that I had. Both were dear family to me, but I longed for more. This could be my chance to be in a large herd.

Kahlua's face darkens when she talks of the trees, though beautiful I realize these trees are constant reminders of a current struggle. "The sun has not risen in weeks. They say it has to do with the Gods, though I know little of them.” I feel a bit guilty for still finding the dark comforting.

As I am reaching out to comfort Kahlua she brightens right back up, instead I reach my head down and pretend to scratch my leg.

“Homes here are plenty, though, and I'm sure you'll grow to love it despite the darkness. Thor the Gentle Heart welcomed me with open arms to the Edge. There are other herds as well, some my allies and enemies only because of my home. I can't say why, the rivalries have a history in Helovia much longer than my own. Politics!”

Thor the Gentle Heart.. promising name. I feel a little less anxious about approaching about joining his herd. Then I realize I've jumped to conclusions assuming that the mare was going to invite me to follow her to her home.

"Doesn't matter what path you take you always seem to be facing enemies," I shiver as memories from battles flash through my head. I remind myself that I have left my past behind and join in with Kahlua's infectious laughter. Smiling I ad, "Politics are nothing more than rationalizing throwing giant temper tantrums."

"Do you think Thor would accept me also? How should I act? How far are they from here?" This time I take the time to space out each question, "I think I may be getting better at this" I laugh and wink at Kahlua.

Kahlua quickly decided that the draft mare must be much smarter than herself. The draft mare's excitement, her call to the sky, at the prospect of the pegasi and unicorns in the land was revealing. Had Kahlua only been told, and had not actually seen, the strange equids herself, she never would have believed it. Or would never have thought the idea possible. But the lands here made the impossible possible every day. The gods, the magic, the never-rising sun, lamptrees, the companions and the strange markings on horses. Oddities were all around her, things she would never have dreamed to be true and yet here they were. It was a strange world she, and this draft mare, had stumbled in to.

Caught in her own little world, as she often was, Kahlua didn't even notice the draft mare reaching out to her. Her lack of observation would, and had, gotten her in to trouble in the past. At least she seemed safe here; that said, she never even entertained the idea that this draft mare was anything but sincere and genuine. One day she would stumble into the devil and not know the difference; but then, beauty often comes at a price. “Doesn't matter what path you take...” The draft mare's philosophizing was interesting to Kahlua, if only that she never would have thought of the things on her own. She had nothing to add to the statements, but they made sense and she nodded in agreement.

The draft mare's questions came slower this time and Kahlua flicked her ears forward, mulling over each one is turn, bobbing her head lightly in amusement at her companion's winking. “Thor was kind, and I'm certain he would welcome you, although there are several in the herd that take the job of welcoming newcomers on their shoulders. Our other leader is Mirage the Dragon Heart. I know little of her, but she may not be as ferocious as her name implies. She provides for us in the winter, giving heat to the land when nature has none to share.” Her mind was on the fires that eternally burned in the Edge, driving the snow away.

“And I don't know how you should act, my friend. I was myself,” she said simply. The one thing about herself she managed to keep hidden was that her flattery was not always sincere. Charming your way to the top would prove difficult if others knew her intentions were not as pure as they seemed. “The walk is a couple days in this darkness and snow. If you are interested, I can show to my home. I'm sure you would be a welcome addition to the herd.” She bounced on her forehand lightly, her hooves coming only inches off the ground. It was an excited motion, and perhaps meant to calm the draft mare a little. Excitement for life and acting like a child did not have to be one in the same, at least in Kahlua's eyes.
.KAHLUA

Unregistered
"Sounds as if I have a lot to learn about everyone. Does everyone have a job? Do you?" I feel the pressure to learn how a herd works before waltzing in, I am thankful for the friendly Kahlua.

"She may not be as ferocious as the name implies?" I laugh, "Not fully comforting Kahlua," I realize this is her leader and hastily ad "I joke about her but I already feel respect for the leader to the horses at The Edge. Taking on the forces of nature itself. But it is more of a distant respect." I consider leaving it unsaid, but after Torolf I believe I will always tell horses how I feel towards them. "At the moment I feel the most respect for you, Kahlua, even if some higher ranking horses provide for me in the future, it will be you that found me and welcomed me. Giving me a chance at the future I dream of. My first friend since.... that I have had in a while." I was going to say Torolf, but I couldn't bring myself to say his name out loud yet, plus Kahlua doesn't know who he is and I don't want to risk having to explain. I watch her face and smile, hoping not to have pushed her away any with a quick heart to heart.

I'm thrown off by Kahlua's response of telling me to be myself. It comes as a shock to realize I am not positive of who I am.

I feel as if there are two clashing sides of me. I remember the young filly who spent many hot summer days dozing off with her head laid in the lap of the farmer's boy as he spun me stories of our future together. I remember his pride when I outran the neighbor's colt. I remember the gentleness of my mother as provided a shoulder for the boy's feeble grandfather to lean on after his crutch snapped, taking one patient step at a time.

But I also remember the tears that fell as the boy handed my lead to the hard eyed auctioneer. The cold hard glint of metal in the sun. I can still hear the sounds of blades being sharpened, destined for a kill. I will never forget the thick smell of blood as it seeped into the ground choking the vibrant grass. And I can still see the bodies littering the ground, something I helped to create.

I look down to the ground and paw at the snow pushing the memories away. Somehow I will find myself.

I begin to canter hoping to be heading into the right direction before looking back over my shoulder and calling back "Come on then, lead the way to The Edge!" I revel in the feeling of plowing through the snow and playfully buck.

Kahlua's zest for life has rubbed off on me, in many ways her excitement worked to calm my nerves. She was one of the few that didn't allow the troubles of life to tie her down.

I look back a last time to where I saw Torolf's spirit rear in celebration and to where I had stood. The place where my past bid me farewell and my future was born.

My stride flatters a little when I see a small flower standing in the ground where I had pawed away the snow. Innocence has a way of surviving even in the harshest environment, being the most fragile but also the most obstinate thing in our lives.