the Rift

[OPEN] NOISE

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

I fell asleep a filly, and when I woke up, the world had changed.

Bro was already on top of things, I noticed. I had watched him in the shroud of darkness that had fallen, the dark that lingered even if my body, my bones, my blood screamed that it was daytime. I stood on an outcropping of rock and meadow, watching him gather some Grey members, healers, my own Ma, and leading them with is words, some power I knew he had even though he could never take a hit; he was a beacon in the not-night-darkness, glowing and in his element, a piece of the black that engulfed us all, and it was right for him to be a leader. It was right, the mantle fit perfectly on his shoulders, and he knew what he was doing. Older looking, deeper in his chest, oh so sure of himself. It was just as well they followed him and the words that came out of his mouth, better him than me, because—

-- well—

--I was just a wreck.

They were saying my name a few times down there, I heard them. Just little whisperings from where I was, but I walked away from them just the same, shaking my head, my eyes clenched tight from the sound of my name. Because I didn’t know what it meant anymore—my name was an empty title. Do you know what that feels like? To hear your own name and not know what it means? To be completely lost and disconnected from yourself, your identity, and to feel fear and shame and anger (anger), oh so much anger, just by hearing your own name?

Because that’s what was happening and it was ripping me up inside because how can that even happen, how can you feel so much discord just by thinking about yourself, but then I remember I don’t even know what that was anymore. Myself. Roskuld. What even did that mean? Yesterday it described some hard-headed filly girl that had the misfortune of sticking her own horn in a tree that one time. Ros was the big cousinsisterfriend of Jiji, that girl who was now so tiny that every time I set eyes on her something clenched painfully, searing in my stomach, and then I would know that Ros was gone somewhere, that the child I knew myself to be was dead and gone and so was something in this world and I could feel it, the grind of it in my bones, the wrongness of it in the heat of my blood and I knew the sickness of the world and What does that mean Daddy?

Come on, Daddy!

You obviously had some sort of plan or idea about me and what I needed to do because that voice (that voice, that voice) wasn’t leaving me any time soon. That voice in my head that I dreamed of in that familiar dream of mine, that heartachingly beautiful thing where I could fly and I knew myself and my skin and bones weren’t strange and deformed and right and wrong at the same time and I heard him speak ROSKULD, YOU ARE THE TIME KEEPER. DAYS WILL NOT CYCLE. THE SUN WILL NOT RISE, BUT YOU WILL KNOW THE SEASONS AND FEEL THE PATTERN OF THE SPIN OF TH EARTH. WATCH AFTER THEM and it was the cue for the end of the world and something to shrivel up inside me and crumble and die.

But he wasn’t lying because I knew things that I didn’t know, felt things that didn’t make sense but that explained the nature of the warped universe. Daddy dearest was gone (he wasn’t my Pa. I didn’t know one, didn’t need one). Something else essential was gone too, a vibrancy in a whole other dimension that was just finished, like it was the beat of the heart of this world it had flatlined. The only life I truly felt came from deep within this body (that wasn’t mine, but I knew it anyway) and from Mesec—there, I said it, his true and proper name, because that beat and buzz made me realize that he was a brother to me in many more intimate, intricate ways than one. I still didn’t know what a god was, or what it meant to be one—but I was getting terrible ideas.

I was ashamed. There, I said it. I was ashamed because I knew things that didn’t make sense, and I knew they should, but they didn’t. I was ashamed because I knew I wasn’t a child anymore, that I grew up and developed and I should have matured—but I didn’t. I was still the filly afraid of the vastness of the world, safe in this cocoon of foothills, knowing I was pathetic but being okay with it because I was nothing, nothing, nothing in the wide plain of existence. I still felt that I should be Roskuld, this empty title that meant nothing, not a damn thing, because Roskuld was a different sort of creature than I was, what I ought to be, what I was turning into.

There’s nothing good to be gained from a pathetic demi god.

I turned away from Mesec, walking away from the assembly, climbing and cresting the hill and willing myself to disappear into the shadow. He was a leader now, and I didn’t want him to see me like this.

A wreck.

~.~.~

[Slight continuation of THIS thread.]
Roskuld</style>

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

mesec</style>
      boy of the night fell from the stars</style>

[ooc - PLEASE READ!! Since Dingo is a dumbass, I editted this post to get the HTML for my reply, and ended up pasting my reply into this and hitting 'save' instead of 'cancel', thus deleting my post. .____. The following is a little synopsis of what I wrote before.

Mesec walks away from the short meeting held with Ophelia, Hana, Panzram and Apollo, and see's a figure off in the distance. He approaches it figuring it's a herd member, and as he gets closer, realizes it's Roskuld, his sister. He uses his magic and teleports close to her, asking her where she's going and saying that he was worried at her disappearance.]

I appeared, and she backed away. Further and further she put herself away from me, crying out in surprise, and immediately I planted my feet and came to a stop. I had not wished to frighten her. "I-I'm sorry, Ros," came my voice after a moment, considerably softer but still just as worried, "I didn't mean to scare you."

But as I inspected her more closely, gazing over the creases of her face, I noticed just how weary she looked. I had never seen such an expression on the face of my little sister, and in all honesty, it was startling to see the normally grumpy, pushy, have-it-my-way filly looking at me as she was now. I wanted the old Roskuld back, the one who wasn't afraid of anything, who was ready to take the whole world on at any given moment. But for now, I was content to comfort my sister, whatever may be hindering her.

For some time, she simply stood there, slack mouthed and staring at me like a fish out of water. She wanted to speak, to tell me something, I could feel it; but I understood all too well how difficult it could be at times, to tell somebody your secrets. I'd gotten considerably better at it, however, if I could say so myself. It wasn't my time to share, however, it was Roskuld's, and I could only pray that she trusted me enough to confide in me what it was that was troubling her. Was it the darkness? The fact that she suddenly seemed so much older, almost matching my own age?

What I was about to hear, however, nearly caused my jaw to drop.

After the words left her mouth, speaking of her father I wasn't sure I'd ever met, I was left speechless as the gears in my head grinded to process what I'd just been told. Roskuld's father, whoever he was... he was a God? Just like my own Mother? I didn't know what crows she was speaking of, or exactly who she was talking about, but one thing was for certain. Like me, Roskuld was also a demi-god... Remembering myself, I sucked in a deep breath and settled my silvery gaze on my sister's own. I hadn't meant to stare, but the news had come as more than a surprise to me.

Before I could say much, though, she went on, firing question after question to me. I didn't mind listening and considering each, standing calmly before her and not daring to step any closer, unwilling to send her reeling back again. I already felt bad enough for her as it was, and it was only when she grew quiet again did I speak up, my tone firm but gentle.

"Roskuld... Please, calm down and take a deep breath; it's going to be alright." I feared a sudden outburst from her, but before she could get a word in, I pressed on. "A God is... a supreme being. Somebody who created the world and everything within it. At least, that's how I would describe it." A quick pause was taken to gauge the now-yearling's expression, but I inhaled softly and continued. "I don't know why you weren't told, Ros, maybe Mum was waiting until you were older. I only knew of them because my Mother is a Goddess, as your Father is a God."

As for what she, we were supposed to do now, I had yet to form an answer from the time of waking just an hour ago to now. "I don't know," was my answer, a reluctant one but all too true, "I really don't, Ros, and I am sorry. We have to stand strong against whatever this is. We'll figure it out and make it to the next dawn, I can promise you that. We have to stay strong and warn the others about what's going on..." I trailed off then, something clicking in my head. I recalled the brief visitation from my Mother earlier in the night, and I couldn't help but wonder, had Roskuld's father come to her?

I had to know.

"Can I ask you something, Ros?" Another brief pause before I continued, "Your father... Did he come to you last night? Did he say anything to you?" Maybe he had passed some dire form of information, something that could aide us until the Gods returned home. And, I prayed to them, that they would.

Credits
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Crap.

Something sunk low in my stomach, hearing my brother’s voice cutting through the silence of fake night. I cringed and I hoped that he wasn’t talking to me, that he hadn’t seen me slip over the hill. Maybe if I trotted a little faster, he would miss me? But then his voice came back, louder this time, suddenly right behind me, and I whirled around and backed away and cried out at his sudden appearance—he was there, suddenly there, and I backed away from him. I still didn’t want him seeing me piss poor and groveling.

*"Are you alright, Ros? Where are you going? I... I was worried for you."*

His appearance was already working its own kind of chaos on me; like I said before, he seemed built much more sturdily, a little older, a little bit more pep in his chest. But my eyes found him quite easily without me having to crane my neck; from my perspective, he had seemed to have shrunk a little, even though I knew that it was me who had gotten taller—which circled back to the confusion that ached within me, the need to refuse this bigger, older body even though I was perfectly attuned to it, to every impulse and reflex (the Gods weren’t so cruel as to grant me a body that I couldn’t use, I guess). But the impulses and reflexes brought implications of things I didn’t understand, deeper things, subtle things that never mattered to me before and still didn’t’ matter to me but now I knew about them anyway so my disregard was something a lot less innocent, a little more sinister and selfish on my part.

I just stood there for some time, kind of gawking at him with my mouth open like a trout gaping for water-air, because I wanted to say everything and nothing all at once and it was causing a blockage in my brain that made me dumb and mute. I wanted to tell him how terrified I was; I wanted to tell him how much I began to understand; I wanted to tell him how proud I was of him, and how different this world was now, and what I expected the emptiness meant and why it was crushing me in its own way. I wanted to tell him how much I’ve figured out about myself, how much I never knew, because no one told me, not even Ma, and that more than anything was creating a rift so wide in my heart I expected to fall in at any moment. All these things were clamoring in my brain, these things and even more things and impossibly even more things, some that made sense, some that were just brainless warblings and shrill screams of frustration and somewhere, somehow, I plucked a thing from the torrent of stuff that I decided was the most important thing to say for some reason.

“He’s my Dad,” I blurted at Bro, my eyes going wide right along with the realization. “He—that guy I saw with Ma. He’s my Dad. That creepy guy that killed all those crows. And he’s a GOD.” I didn't even know if Bro knew who or what I was talking about, but I was blurting it mindlessly, thoughtlessly. It was one of those intimate things I realized with this body and this new intuition of mine; the idea that I needed a sire, and dammit what other sire could I possibly have? The memory of his voice haunted my thoughts, because I remembered him saying almost the exact things I had said, in almost the exact cadence, and it could’ve been hilarious but it wasn’t, it wasn’t. I searched Bro’s face, looking for a reaction to what I said, wondering if he was feeling like I was and hoping to g—well. Hoping that he wasn’t.

“…Mesec?” I asked, my voice full of other tones and notes screaming help me, help me, “ What…what’s a god? And how come no one told me about them? Why didn’t Ma tell me?” I admitted to my ignorance this one time, not skirting around it but facing it head on; Bro had told me he had worried about me, and it was this care that made me trust him to help me somehow and first and foremost, I needed knowledge. “What am I doing? What…what am I supposed to do? Where am I supposed to go? I don’t know what I’m doing,I confessed, my speech breaking and breathless with a growing panic. I backed away from him some more, a couple of steps into the darkness that should not be; I didn’t want to leave him, but staying meant possibly facing something that I wasn’t ready for, even though leaving meant certainly facing the world that needed me. Even if I didn’t know how to save it.

Roskuld</style>

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

mesec</style>
      boy of the night fell from the stars</style>

I appeared, and she backed away. Further and further she put herself away from me, crying out in surprise, and immediately I planted my feet and came to a stop. I had not wished to frighten her. "I-I'm sorry, Ros," came my voice after a moment, considerably softer but still just as worried, "I didn't mean to scare you."

But as I inspected her more closely, gazing over the creases of her face, I noticed just how weary she looked. I had never seen such an expression on the face of my little sister, and in all honesty, it was startling to see the normally grumpy, pushy, have-it-my-way filly looking at me as she was now. I wanted the old Roskuld back, the one who wasn't afraid of anything, who was ready to take the whole world on at any given moment. But for now, I was content to comfort my sister, whatever may be hindering her.

For some time, she simply stood there, slack mouthed and staring at me like a fish out of water. She wanted to speak, to tell me something, I could feel it; but I understood all too well how difficult it could be at times, to tell somebody your secrets. I'd gotten considerably better at it, however, if I could say so myself. It wasn't my time to share, however, it was Roskuld's, and I could only pray that she trusted me enough to confide in me what it was that was troubling her. Was it the darkness? The fact that she suddenly seemed so much older, almost matching my own age?

What I was about to hear, however, nearly caused my jaw to drop.

After the words left her mouth, speaking of her father I wasn't sure I'd ever met, I was left speechless as the gears in my head grinded to process what I'd just been told. Roskuld's father, whoever he was... he was a God? Just like my own Mother? I didn't know what crows she was speaking of, or exactly who she was talking about, but one thing was for certain. Like me, Roskuld was also a demi-god... Remembering myself, I sucked in a deep breath and settled my silvery gaze on my sister's own. I hadn't meant to stare, but the news had come as more than a surprise to me.

Before I could say much, though, she went on, firing question after question to me. I didn't mind listening and considering each, standing calmly before her and not daring to step any closer, unwilling to send her reeling back again. I already felt bad enough for her as it was, and it was only when she grew quiet again did I speak up, my tone firm but gentle.

"Roskuld... Please, calm down and take a deep breath; it's going to be alright." I feared a sudden outburst from her, but before she could get a word in, I pressed on. "A God is... a supreme being. Somebody who created the world and everything within it. At least, that's how I would describe it." A quick pause was taken to gauge the now-yearling's expression, but I inhaled softly and continued. "I don't know why you weren't told, Ros, maybe Mum was waiting until you were older. I only knew of them because my Mother is a Goddess, as your Father is a God."

As for what she, we were supposed to do now, I had yet to form an answer from the time of waking just an hour ago to now. "I don't know," was my answer, a reluctant one but all too true, "I really don't, Ros, and I am sorry. We have to stand strong against whatever this is. We'll figure it out and make it to the next dawn, I can promise you that. We have to stay strong and warn the others about what's going on..." I trailed off then, something clicking in my head. I recalled the brief visitation from my Mother earlier in the night, and I couldn't help but wonder, had Roskuld's father come to her?

I had to know.

"Can I ask you something, Ros?" Another brief pause before I continued, "Your father... Did he come to you last night? Did he say anything to you?" Maybe he had passed some dire form of information, something that could aide us until the Gods returned home. And, I prayed to them, that they would.

Credits
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Bro apologized for scaring me, and I could’ve laughed, because this fear wasn’t from him. Bro wasn’t a thing worthy of fear, never had been, never will be. No, this fear, this blind panic, was a different thing all together. It was its own mind with its own needs and wants, and I wasn’t man enough to satisfy it apparently, because my nerves were jumping and thumping and zig-zagging all over the place. When Bro told me to calm down, I snorted hard, a loud, rumbling sound through huge nostrils I never had before; I threw my head forcefully, pawed the ground in agitation, and marveled on how much of an effect it was. My hooves were huge things of granite; my head was adorned with a great, sharp, jagged crown of a horn that was as dangerous as it was I-guess-kind-of-sorta-maybe beautiful; my anger was worthy of notice now, and no longer an admittedly adorable antic of a foaling. I was not adorable. I paced back and forth, tail swishing the air, chest heaving, breath heavy, my ears cocked to Bro to listen to the rest of his explanations. The thing was, as I moved, I could feel my mind clear and the tension ease a little from my shoulders; I was following his advice I guess, calming down after all, but instead of standing there and letting my steam build I let it gush out and give myself a chance to breathe again.

A supreme being, he was saying. This elicited another snort. Somebody who created the world and everything within it. It was a mind-numbing prospect, this god thing. The creator of all things, everything I knew and didn’t know and didn’t care about. And I had personally come from them nuts of his.

I stopped in my tracks suddenly, hooves crunching in the frozen grass. I was the daughter of someone so powerful and capable, a kind of power and capability that I couldn’t even wrap my head around. What….did that mean? For me? What was I, the pinnacle of millennia of experimentation? Or was I…the beginning of a new one? Hearing Bro explain that his mother was a Goddess—no, that wasn’t right. He was just making me snort things again, making me start the pace again. It was a trick, he was tricking me, it wasn’t true. It…wasn’t. We came from the same mother, me and Bro, she gave gross birth to him and then waited a year and had me too and I…she wasn’t…?

“Is Ma…Is she a….a…?” I asked, coming to a sudden stop again. I looked hard at Bro—Mesec--, my eyes boring into him, no longer childish eyes. Because deep down I knew, I really knew, and it was a dumb question to ask. Ma wasn’t a Goddess. She just wasn’t. But the reasoning unraveling in my head wasn’t stopping my innards from crushing in on themselves, possibly the last remnants of whatever kind of existence I had known to be true, my precious world where everything was right and happy and made sense imploding on itself and blistering into oblivion. Because Mesec wasn’t my brother. He wasn’t my Bro.

He...

I looked at him, simply looked at him, and there were tears there. Yeah, I’ll admit that. I had started to cry.

Then I threw my head again, and I felt my mane shake, and I turned heel and walked off. There was nothing from me here. My father was a GOD and my Bro wasn’t my brother, and I didn’t know what to do and I was just a waste of confused space and Bro—HMMPH!-- Mesec already told me he didn’t know what I needed to do, so there was no point in staying. No, there was this shit about “staying strong” and warning somebody and there was nothing for me, nothing at all. The world was dark and something was dead, I had a daddy and he was a God, I had no childhood left for me and a thing for me to do dangling away from me in the shadows, and he wasn’t my brother.

He asked me something though. Br—Mesec asked me if I heard something in my sleep last night. I stopped in my tracks, but I couldn’t face him because—well. See, I didn’t hate him, I wasn’t hurt by him, please understand that, but he….yeah. There was just hurt. “Did he come last night?” I repeated, my voice lowered, controlled, and I heard the strange timbre of it, the oldness of it and the pain I tried and failed to hide. But yeah, there was no forgetting dad’s voice. It was here, in the pit of my chest, a clear instruction for me that still meant jack shit. “Yeah, he came,” I said gruffly“He told me I was the Time Keeper. He said….the days will not cycle, and the sun would no rise, but that I’d know the seasons and know the patter of the spin of the earth…” My tone had gone awfully quiet, almost trancelike as I spoke the words I knew by heart, “He told me to watch out for them.”

Something inside me was closing in on itself, becoming a vault situated in the pit of my person where everything had crumbled to nothing. I was closing myself from Mesec, from the world and its evil darkness; I was closing myself, because I didn’t know me or whatever I was venturing into. I didn’t know how to handle myself, but I was going to do it myself, and figure this out somehow. Myself.

But there was one more thing. “Can…can you tell Jiji I said goodbye?” My words were so quiet by now, but it was the only way I could control the warble threatening to break through. “Just tell her that I—well—tell her I suck, yeah, for not saying it myself. But I’ll see her again. Tell Ma, too. I’ll see them again. I’ll…I’ll see you again too. One day.” I didn’t turn around to say this to him; I didn’t face him and look him in his eye. I said what I needed, and continued to walk off into the darkness, then trot, then bolt like a bat out of hell, all without a backwards glance.

I was crying too hard. I didn’t want him to see.

Roskuld</style>