the Rift

[OPEN] Stars Come out at Night [Avarielle, Acceptance]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

“I don't think everyone has a job. I think some are happy to just be a part of the herd. I'm going to try and be a crafter- there are horses here with beautiful magic to create. I want to be able to do that...” She trailed off briefly as she was answering the draft mare's question, her thoughts drifting to the days when she would be the Glazier in the herd. It was lucky she had stopped talking; the draft mare embarked on a lengthy speech which Kahlua forced herself to listen to. Not that it was paining to do so, just that she had been lost in thoughts of her future. At the draft mare's conclusion Kahlua smiled again. A kindly smile, full of ambition but also a genuine like for this other. She didn't notice the black mare's strange sentence at the end, it was full of nuances too subtle for her to pick up on. “You're my first friend too...” she said, finding that she really hadn't made any friends despite being here for many weeks. Onni, of course, but their relationship was tense and hardly what a healthy friendship entailed. As the mare began to run, Kahlua followed suit, secretly hoping the draft mare would not want to run too far. Despite her great size, Avarielle seemed to have excellent physical fitness. Kahlua did not and knew that she would not be able to maintain a run from here to the Edge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, here we are, the edge. I hope you like it. More than that, I hope Thor likes you. So make me proud Avarielle, show them your best side. Because really, all of this reflects back on me. If you look bad, then I look bad for bringing you home. And we just can't have that, can we? I'm sure they'll love you though. Big, brutish. You could easily be a warrior. Or anything else, I suppose. But like I said, just make me proud.
As the pair came up to the boundaries of the Edge Kahlua halted and looked to the draft mare, indicating that she should do the same. “Newcomers must wait at the border,” she said simply, hoping the draft mare would understand. Had she been a scholar, Kahlua may have wondered if this was really out of respect or if there were historical and political reasons for the decrees. They seemed to be in place at all lands. As it was, she wondered little except who would come to greet them and when they would do it. To her knowledge there was only a limited handful of horses that could accept members. One day, she dreamed, she would be one of them. “One of our herd officials will come soon, I hope. But don't stress, my friend, the future is warm and bright even in all this cold and darkness.” It was probably one of the most poetic things she had said in a long time. She couldn't help but laugh at herself, the words sounding somewhat foreign on her tongue. “Welcome home,” she added finally. Though not officially the draft mare's home yet, Kahlua could see no reason why it wouldn't be.
.KAHLUA

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Avarielle Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
"And I am sure that you will become a great crafter, you seem like you aren't one to quit until you've gotten what you set out for." I smile at Kahlua. In a way I envy her, she seems so set in her direction. Confident that she knows exactly what she wishes to achieve. I am not even sure about what I wish for the next day to bring.

"You're my first friend too..." I'm shocked by Kahlua's words; beautiful,outgoing, and sweet she seems like a horse that everyone would be a friend to.

"Well, I guess that we are both making progress" and I really am, in speaking with Kahlua it is my first time really interacting with another besides Torolf. I feel different. Comfortable in my own skin.

..................................................................................................

I stand looking over the land that could possibly turn out to be my new home and it is as if I can touch my future. I can see myself racing across the land kicking up my heels, peacefully laying in the long swaying grass of warmer months, huddling in the warmth of friends during the cold bite of winter.

"I hope that they get here soon. Once they do I certainly plan on putting my best foot forward. Now, which one do you think looks the best?" I laugh and make a show of lowering my head to evaluate each hoof. My feathers are muddy and wet from snow that melted on them. I can only imagine the always meticulously clean Kahlua's thoughts about their condition and set to cleaning myself up.

With my future taking such a sudden turn the past is also creeping up behind me. As I groom my coat I remember others who have done the same.

My mother used to fuss over me, I was her first foal and she kept loving eyes focused on what seemed like my every move. I was a spirited filly, always letting my curiousity lead my hooves. The first night I heard an owl I carefully slipped from my sleeping mother's side to investigate the intriguing sound. I wandered through the field and to the edge of the wood, I took one quick look over my shoulder and set to finding the source of the strange noise. When I did find it, and I was entranced by the big bird. I stood and listened to a few of its sounds before lifting my head towards the owl's perch and letting out a squeal of a whinny. It startled the owl who flew from his perch knocking my ear with one of his wings which in turn spooked me and sent me dashing back towards the safe warmth of my mother's side. She had been woken by my whinny and was already running towards me when I came crashing from the woods. With her ears laid back she nipped my flank and directed me back home. Once we got back she was once again my gentle mother, softly pulling the briars from my coat warning me of the dangers of wandering off alone.

My little boy had spent countless hours grooming my mother and I. When other children came by asking to play the shy boy would go quiet and peek out from behind our heavy bodies. But once the other children had gone he would become animated making broad arm movements with words tumbling from his mouth. Mostly he spoke of how he longed to be with the other kids, but he was terrified of their rejection. Many tears were shed on my neck from the disheartened child, frustrated with himself.

The memories I have of Torolf grooming me are different from the others. The feelings I got from his grooming were softer and warmer. So much more tender. He didn't have the frustration of the boy nor the loving chiding of my mother. He just simply had a soft loving touch. Sometimes we stood in silence, while other times one of us quietly listened as another spoke freely opening our hearts up to each other. I feel tears welling up at the thought of never feeling his touch again.

I miss them all, I miss what I could have been with each of them. Looking at this new strange land around me I wonder if anyone in it will touch my life as the three have.

I feel myself caught in a staggering dance of emotions, my thoughts of a bright future twist and tangle with the dull ache of the past.

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

OOC| Sorry for the wait, I've been waiting to see if anybody would respond. But we can carry on until somebody shows up :)

Kahlua laughed brightly with her new-found friend as she examines her hooves for the best looking one. Out of jest, Kahlua nodded to the black mare's left rear. “That one back there, but you'll have to walk backwards!” It felt great just to have fun. So much of her life was spent planning and trying to achieve her goals. This was a different type of joy, one that she hoped she would not soon forget. Though she knew that she and Avarielle would not always be together, she would have to make sure to go out of her way to keep in contact.

As the draft mare groomed herself free of the mud from their traveling, Kahlua settled in to look about her home. It was not all that long ago that she herself was standing here with Duchanar, staring in expectantly. Not that long ago that she had stumbled blindly into the Threshold. Not that long ago that her own home had burned to the ground. Avarielle was fantastic; the only thing Kahlua didn't like about her company was how much she made Kahlua think back to her past. It was hard to be happy when remembering so much misery.
Stop thinking about it. The more you think about it the more it hurts. The more you remember Fuhrer chiding you ever day of your life, but also remember that you miss him. The more you remember that Krystal, mother, was lovely but always busy ruling her harem. The more you remember that Fuhrer, father, was more-or-less missing from your life. The more you remember that you, Kahlua, were never good enough for any of them. So just stop remembering. Just stop thinking about it.
“Well then, don't look so long faced, my friend.” She broke the silence with a laugh, as was so common for her to do. The comment was directed to the black mare, but she was also talking to herself. She would have asked the mare about her past, but she didn't want to be whirled into memories of her own again. So she looked to the future instead. “So do you think you will want to have a job in the herd?” So focused on her own future, it was hard to imagine that others would not want to have a job and further their own interests; though, she suddenly realized that Av would not know what those jobs were. “There are crafters, warriors, nurses...” She trailed off to try and remember the rest of the jobs. “Spies... I can't remember them all!” She laughed again for her own forgetfulness, looking to the mare to see if she was interested in any of those she had mentioned.
.KAHLUA

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
Another was not so very distant, wandering the boundaries and patrol routes with no particular path in mind. The sound of voices caught her attention, made her glance up curiously. Neither was familiar, and seemed to originate from beyond the herd's borders. Who could be lingering out there, in the darkness? With thoughts of potential threats lurking and scheming, or perhaps dignitaries from another herd, she picked another path that made its way closer to where the strangers stood.

Once within earshot, she paused to listen, then smiled to herself. A new recruit, and what sounded like a fairly new herd member doing a rather good job at boosting the herd's numbers. It was with this knowledge that she broke from the shadows that had hidden her monochromatic figure, stepping from the trees at the tail end of the discussion of potential careers to pursue within the Edge. "Crafters, protectors, nurses, philosophers, wraiths. All are worthy causes to follow. But not all are suited to some paths." A quietly amused smile warmed the facade of the grulla mare as she looked from one young mare to the other. The painted one seemed to be the new herd member, the black her recruit.

"I am Smoke the Wild Rose, the Moon Doctor here in the Edge. I don't believe I've met either one of you." Arching one brow in a slightly expectant manner, she stood over the threshold of herdland and outland, waiting for introductions.