the Rift

Beyond the Looking glass

Escaflowne Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

I'm always looking, searching for something more,

But when I saw you, suddenly there was no more to look at

I don't remember a time before birth, although Milly always talked like she did. Said things like how she was a star that fell from the heavens, taking residence in her Mothers tummy from an evil that pursued her. Somehow I don't think that's how it happened despite how furiously she pushed the subject. I really didn't care how I came to be my Mothers daughter, just that I loved my Mother and never wanted to be apart from her. Ever.

Where is this place? It is cold and angry, I feel like someone is reaching out and scrabbling at me with their claws. I tremble, fearful and unsure of my surroundings. Where is Mother? Where has she gone? I move my mouth in a submissive gesture as though hoping it would bring her soaring into view, now I tremble for another reason. Mother always flew, mayhap she crashed this time. Maybe she's dead and never coming back. Somebody is sobbing, somebody is sad, and I realize that somebody was me. Mother had to come back! We had to keep going or the bad-dark would get us, that's what she called it: The Bad-dark. So I called it the bad-dark and it scared me worse than Mother never coming back. Heavy, foreboding and full of an agony that you couldn't see but feel. Did that bad-dark lose somebody? Is it grieving over some loss? I know Milly grieved when her bird died. Even though it was all her fault that he died, she still mourned.

That's what the bad-dark felt like, mourning. Someone somewhere was gone and now they were after Mother and I. I shuddered and sucked in a breath and it was cold, freezing! My chest complained and my ribs groaned hatefully as the chill spread throughout my bones and muscles. My tiny wing stubs quaked harder than I and I curled them messily in toward my shoulders. Even though I hated them I wanted them, maybe someday I could fly like Mother does. I sob again because I am alone, and I hate it.

Milly South-wind was the fastest of all the fillies. She always jumped from the highest rocks and flew up to the highest heights, daring nature to strike her down. I always thought she was stupid, foolish risking her life that way. Flying wasn't safe for anyone, and I would huddle into the pathetic mold of my wings, small and insignificant compared to others my age. They made fun of my for it, all the time, and all the time Milly was coming to my rescue. She called me brave and told me I would out-race them all one day, that we together would rule the skies and take only Kings as our mates. Milly was always talking about boys, I usually just nodded my head and listened to her prattle about the newest colt in the neighboring clan. I didn't like boys, they were too much of a hassle and unnecessarily mean. I liked Milly though, she was nice.

(Italics is her in the current, normal text is her memories and her talking about the past. Hope it's not too difficult to differentiate ^^;;)

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Cold, yes it was very cold. A stale chill, one without wind or breath. Snow had turned to ice, slush that weighted sleeping timbers as if frozen in a never changing climate. Silver lantern trees speckled the way along Thresholds many trails. Only the main ones were lit enough to be easily maneuvered. I walked these illuminated paths, eyes doing an area swivel every few moments, nostrils flared and ears stood at the ready—they flicked toward any and all sounds that seemed out of the norm. In the dark, no sound was easily ridden off as normal though. Danger seemed to be creeping from the shadows, its slippery fingers licked along rear hocks; as if daring me to leave the trail. I frowned at our misty world, my wings ruffled nervously against two toned flesh before settling.

It wasn’t long before my senses caught wind of a musky essence, a young woman to be exact. Quietly I stepped from the trail, knowingly halting where the shadows faded into darkness totally—straining, my eyes tried to peer through the darkness and see what a sensitive nose could already smell. Fear, weakness. If something didn’t change whoever it was would surely be in grave danger, tenderly I called out, beckoning her with my voice alone, “Don’t be afraid, I can sense the fear and it only draws dangerous creatures—come into the light, that I might meet you.” In the dark, it was also hard to trust—but I hoped that this lady might find comfort from my tone—Cera often had.
Our colours come alive when I collide with you
with you, with you
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Unregistered

Mother wouldn't let me jump with the others today, Milly looked at me sadly, but I only smiled. Mother knew of my secret, that niggling fear that kept me stationed firmly on the Earth and far away from those fledglings in the sky. I watched Milly that day, swooping, stretching her beautiful brown wings as though she'd been flying all her life. I hated her for it.

Nothing about it changed, none of my quiet wishing, whispers were captured by the cruel winter air and suffocated into darkness. That's all there was, darkness, and it made me feel smaller than I already was. The trees were close, tall and skinny with little more than a few branches to adorn their naked bodies. I feel that I hated stronger today than I had ever hated in my life, and I was only a year old. Could somebody even hate that much? It was terrifying thought and I cringed under the weight it carried. Much-too-small wings suddenly jerked outwards and I started, the muscles in my back spasmed. I hated that too, the occasional lack of muscle control where my wings were centered. But was that really why I hated it so much? Or were there other reasons as I twisted my head around to glare at the protrusions. Suddenly there was noise followed by the faint, tickling glow of light that I had not noticed before. I am huddling close to the ground without realizing it, ears lost into the fuzz of my mane. If I cowered they would not find me, not even the snow could find me sometimes, and it was bright. Bright like the moon. Bright like Mother.

Milly was hanging out with Brutus a lot, I didn't like Brutus. He was a brute, like his name implied. And stupid. Pretty, I guess, but stupid.

"Who, who goes-" My voice was small, like me, trapped inside of a throat that wanted to close and disappear. I saw him for it was a him, and he was huge, tall and outstanding with wings that shuddered against him. I liked him, at least I liked his suit, it was two colors instead of one and I have never seen a coat like that. It was pretty, like Milly and her black legs. He spoke as though he didn't hear me, couldn't understand my voiceless plea, and he was kind. A warm sort of feeling came to me then and I felt the need to move toward it, like the light bugs did when the stars came out. They were always buzzing about, reaching out to things they couldn't have.

"Here, I'm here!" I call, legs shaking and heart pounding, my chest hurts. What he hurts me? What if he only looks like an angel and he is really a demon? Mother warned me about strangers, demonic creatures that wanted my heart and soul. They always made me think of boys, Milly said boys were always after the heart and soul. I thought I should like to keep them both, even though I was already moving. Gangly legs taking me forward through the snow, getting caught in a drift, breaking through and suddenly there was light. Dim but still, it was light. A gasp, mine, echoed against the chill and I was able to forget about it for a moment, he really was very tall. Like Mother. "Hello." I say, and hope he doesn't steal my soul

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

I can hear the quiet shuffling sounds and even the faint noise of a breath hitching back inside a clinched throat. Likely my approach had startled the lass. My body makes no further motion, fearing that if it did...whatever lay in shadows might only crawl further away—out of fear, or dread. Who could have guessed in this light? “Here,” she called finally, either having decided to answer or was tired of hiding out, “I’m here!” Straining forward with extended neck, I leaned in and scanned the area where the childlike cry had come. She stumbled toward me, I could hear the shuffling of hooves and how each step got slightly hung on stale snow.

The woman child emerged dirty and obviously chilled to the bone. Had she wore anything less than fur, a frostbitten girl would have been my reward for stumbling through the dark. My gaze did a quick rake of her physical self, noting malnourishment and small size despite having the face of a yearling. Cera had grown like a weed and nearly touched my crown, though he had yet to fill out as I did—this child was hardly in a state for competition. Fatherly, as was my nature I smiled gently when she rasped, “Hello.”

“Well met little sister,” gingerly my feet retracted a few steps to give her ample room upon the illuminated trail, “Tell me, why are you all alone in the dark?” Her fur was ebony, a solid color without blemish except for slight markings upon both cheeks, I sought her gaze and found with approval that they were both golden in color.
Our colors come alive when I collide with you
with you, with you

Unregistered

"I don't-"I stopped while I was ahead, pulling back the words so eager to tumble out. I didn't know this man, his big-winged brute, like Brutus, and whether he would hurt me or not. Even though I think I knew he wouldn't, seeing as he hadn't yet, I still quaked lightly. Small tremors that rocked out from my core, even the vague lighting that now made my coat glow could not fight off the fear that tickled behind my ears. The duo-tone of his fur caught my eye once more as I let my gaze wander over him, it was so unusual and just out of this world. None of the horses I had seen since my time alive looked like him, we were all solid, dull colors that reflected either moon or sun. Was he born here maybe? In this cold place where snow touched everything and the light was chased away by deep shadows. My fears were translated just as easily into a wary curiosity, taking a hesitant step forward. "Do you always look this way, this- two-fur?" I leaned forward a bit, stretching out my nose as close as I dared, sniffing.

Milly had been gone for two days now, she and Brutus just disappeared, along with a few other colts and fillies. Barton, Vertisha, Simba... That was surprising because Simba never wandered anywhere. He was a momma's boy or that's what the others called him, they called me something similar I think. That doesn't explain where they went though, I'm confused and mad that Milly didn't let me in on the secret. Mother and the other adults are panicking, always looking and I'm starting to wonder if I was being tricked. Or maybe... Something really was wrong.

Something colder than the dark cold came to my back, making the hairs on my spine prickle, I gasped. The bad-dark was here. Suddenly it was raining down on us, everywhere, covering everything in sight. White fingers of pain that soaked into my muscles and made my light quaking a violent tremble. I cast my face up to the stallion "Why aren't you running? We must go! We have to go or we'll never wake up!" Panic blossomed in my chest.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

She didn’t quite answer me, words came, “I don’t-“but they froze upon those black lips one heartbeat after. Childlike eyes rose to meet mine, they held mistrust and a strange uncertainty. I remained silent, waiting for her to either speak again or retract back into shadows. If she couldn’t trust me enough to get past these first few moments, I would be limited in ways to help her. Finally, those same untrusting eyes filtered toward my spine where ebony kissed ivory and a question formed, “Do you always look this way, this two-fur?” My lips twitched into a small smile, “Yes,” I answered, still using that same gentle tone, “I was born this way little sister.”

The fascination of my pelt was a little unusual, but I shrugged it off at a foreigner attribute. This little lady was obviously not from around here. Suddenly her voice rose again, this time shriller and slightly pitched toward insanity, “Why aren’t you running?” Both brows shot up and instinctively I lifted my gaze to stare behind and around the lass, wondering what had given her grief that would explain a reasoning’s for running through the dark. “We must go!” Go? Go where? She kept on, rising another octave that reveal how high-strung those nerves must be, “We have to go or we’ll never wake up!”

Seeing no change in the atmosphere that would give explanation for this outburst, still the same old dark; I looked at the trembling shadow and said softly, “Be easy; tell me what manner of creature frightened you?” There was a chance that this lady could see something which my eyes wouldn’t pick up—a slight chance; or she had just lost her little mind to the darkness.
with you, with you

Unregistered

Escaflowne
I'm always searching for something more.

(I'm sorry I didn't make it clearer in that last post! But it was supposed to have started snowing ha ha ^^;; Sorry!)

He was so calm, collected, although not without small glances to the side. Did he see it? Was he working with the bad-dark? No, he was not like us, me. He didn't panic like everyone else did, even as the small white specks touched his two-toned back. His sudden change of faces was due to my own outburst of fear, but I liked to think it's because he realized the danger. The bad-dark was terrifying, it was everywhere, killing everything. Though nature seemed capable of standing up to it just fine, I remember-- I remember watching as my kin fell. Mother panicked, struggling to make away from the madness, cold wind in my face, Mother's wings churning furiously around me. "You don't see it? Look!" I twisted to the side, kicking my right hoof out to dash at the withering white-stuff. I even did a small circle, smashing the flakes with my nose and thrusting the moisture toward him.

"Why aren't you afraid?" I stopped then, still as could be, watching him with gold eyes. He was tall and I had to bend my neck back to look up at him, whimpering softly as nostalgia washed over my nerves. Mother please come back... I was making a noise, small whuffles of uncertainty as I paced. I hadn't even realized I was moving, snow bunching up around my ankles and making it difficult.

I remember running, fast, hard, my lungs tight and over-used. But Mother had taken me somewhere to the other side of our place and gone off with the other adults, leaving me alone. But it wasn't long after she left that I realized that I knew where Milly and the others were, so did Armandi, a red girl a year older than me. She was with me now, a few steps ahead of me as I stretched myself trying to keep up. I was fast, I wanted to be the first one to find Milly! She was my friend. But when Armandi spread her wings I slowed, coming to a stop as the older pegasus made a strained take-off. Her wings were so long, so big, and it reminded me that mine were not. They were small, insignificant and useless, too small for my age. Some liked to call me a runt, whatever that was.
table by whit
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

“You don’t see it?” bemused I couldn’t do anything except stare at that dark shivering frame, wondering what on earth had startled her. Honestly what was coming next could not be expected, “Look!” she cried, my gaze obediently followed her motions, watching as sooty hooves kicked up snow—and thrust her gangly body around in a tight circle. Tiny snowflakes fell upon both muzzle and neck, they scattered themselves across the smooth conjures of an immature spine. It was then that I realized what the whole ordeal was, all around us—white flakes of frozen moisture had begun to fall into the pale slush below. It was snowing. Cranium tilted up, and for a moment I just watched it fall. Despite having no magic in this land, the frost looked magical when it was illuminated by an unnatural light—almost like thousands of tiny fairies dancing around with broken wings. The ivory specks of frostfall fell upon my snout in a cool kiss that was bitter and tender all the same.

“Why aren’t you afraid?”

Regarding my company again I give the child a compassionate smile that held no amount of tease or humor for her ignorance to our world. Gently pressing the small amount of slush at my feet with one forehoof I replied, “There is nothing to fear from this—it is called....‘snow.’ Have you never seen it before?” The territory this lass came from must have been very sheltering--to think…she had never seen pelts of many hues and snow.
with you, with you

Unregistered

Escaflowne

He scuffled at the white beneath our feet, snow. I knew what snow was, but that stuff from the sky, it couldn't be snow! My nostrils flared and I took a few steps back, snow how silly! It was a force that killed horses and brought pride to its knees. I could still see Armandi's crash, the awful sight of her body twisting and contorting in pain. No I knew what snow was, it couldn't be snow. "It can't be, snow comes from the ground, this is the bad-dark. It killed so many, gone" I didn't feel embarrassed by my confession, it was the simple truth.

I didn't fear that he would judge me, I just told him what happened. He seemed so sure that there was nothing to fear. I wanted to feel that way. "Did you talk to Mother? Are you going to take me to her?" That had to be the reason, Mother must have pre-planned this whole thing! She was definitely coming back, for sure, otherwise why would this stallion be here? A pegasus come to rescue me from this blackness, this cold world. I wrinkled my nose as the flakes made a film blanket along my spine, leaning forward to shake it all to the ground. Gold eyes observed the white cascade of cold as it blended seamlessly into the snow already at their feet, meeting it as though they were one in the same. The bad-dark did look a little bit like snow, when it was all bunched together. Turning back to the man I re-traced those steps back and brought myself as close to his chest as I dared, reaching out curious nose out.

"I'm Flow."
table by whit
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

“It can’t be.” Again, still bemused I kept quiet and chose not to correct her right away, “Snow comes from the ground.” Ears flicked back a notch, and both orbs moved to lock with those childlike eyes that seemed so similar to mine. It was natural to wonder if she was jesting with me—but the serious fraction I saw across those features told me that this certainly wasn’t a joke. “This is the bad-dark. It killed so many, gone.” Sympathy flowed in, it latched onto my soul and snagged it tight. The worn lines on my fatherly face fell into a strained frown, “Aye, I’m sorry you have lost people—but this,” gesturing toward a falling flake I finished assurtively, “Is snow… in this land, snow falls from the sky and piles up on the ground.”

Another question comes, this one easier to answer—yet the subject was going to be harder to address. “Did you talk to Mother? Are you going to take me to her?” Sobered I regarded the child with a mixture of emotions, pity and natural care. She maneuvers closer, growing either more bold or trusting. Slowly I press my head down—extending muzzle the way an arms brother might greet another brother. Pushing the velvet soft butt of a cold snout toward the little lady I attempt to comfort her by brushing lips across that lean forehead, as I often had with Cera. “I’m Flow.” Softly I replied, “I’m Midas….and nay, I don’t think I have met your Ma, what does she go by?” it was doubtful, but worth asking anyway.
with you, with you

Unregistered

Escaflowne

(I am so sorry this took so long! Went away for the week ^^;;)

I stared up at him very much like the star-struck and fearful child that I was, heart pounding in my ears, breath sharp. Snow that fell from the sky? How was that possible? It couldn't be! I remember the lessons that old woman Diiva taught, of how snow grew from mother natures tears, shed for the heat of summer and frozen in wait for spring. This place, this land was so strange and foreign, pegasi with accents and two-toned fur! What else wandered the dark paths of this world? My flesh crawled at the idea of monsters and Diiva's fairytales. This man would definitely fit the bill, so strange and out of place, but wait... Here it was common, familiar, and not so bizarre. Because I wasn't home, I wasn't fast asleep in the thicket with Mother, I wasn't giddy for another days excitement with Milly.

I was lost, and I was alone. And I was scared. Apparently left for dead as well for the one called Midas admitted no acquaintance to my mother, and I withered. "I am left behind then, left for the pickings," I couldn't even fly so escape was impossible. I cast my golden gaze at the stallion and eyed him quietly, silently resigning myself to my fate. It was only befitting of an ill-born pegasus who had trouble controlling her own wings. Small, dainty, and horribly plain, there was nothing spectacular to set me apart from your run of the mill orphan. "Where do you live... Midas" I tried the name on my tongue and had to roll it around a few times, simple and lacking extravagance.

I stood there tall though with shoulders slightly slumped and limbs quaking from the chill. If Mother were here I wouldn't have been, but she wasn't was she. No, she was gone and all I had was a strange beast with two skins.
table by whit
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

She chose not to give her dames name, guessing that she couldn’t trust me enough for the knowledge of it—or that it was a lost cause because I wouldn’t have known the lady behind it anyways. “I am left behind than, left for the pickings.” Left behind? Who had left her and why? I couldn’t ask those things now, she didn’t seem enthused enough to answer my pondering—or perhaps she just didn’t have the answers. “Where do you live...Midas?” I couldn’t leave her here, not alone in this darkness. “I live close by, in a desert oasis…Dragon’s Throat” it would have been nice to describe my homeland to this lass, but there was little to talk about—everywhere was coated in darkness. “It is warmer than here… you are more than welcome to travel with me.”

If Flow refused my offer, then I would have little room to aid this filly. Even still, if she refused--perhaps I could find her another place to call home at least until she was old enough to fend for herself. The glory of living in Helovia, it was impossible to describe a magical land without magic or the patron lords that protected us. We walked blind without them, helping those that could be aided and leaving behind what could not. “I have a son that is about your age.” Cera had a compassionate heart, perhaps he could help bring this lass around. Besides, it was easier to relate things that held similarities.

OOC: Sorry it took so long. ^^;
with you, with you

Unregistered

Escaflowne

Midas looked down at me and his gaze was kind, his gold eyes, as gold as mine! Washed over with sympathy and hopefulness. Was that for me? Was he hoping that I would rise forth to claim his offer of a safe home? Instinctively I blanched though he couldn't see that, I kept the fear wrapped safely in the confines of my mind this time. Not that it would have made a difference, I was ready to fall apart beneath the snows frozen weight as is. My wings were more like a second leather skin as the water weight suction cupped them too my sides, I was unable to move them and the muscles in my spine protested. I shuddered and cast my gaze back to the ground, unsure of how to meet that hopeful stallion in the face. Did I confuse him? Did I confuse him as much as he confused me? Perhaps if he knew that it would be easier to tumble over the words I needed.

Alas I remained silent a moment longer, my thoughts racing as quick as a cat. Touching one idea and fast leaving it for another more attractive, I couldn't stick to one thing I wanted. What was I supposed to do? Accept his offer, follow him to the place called Dragons Throat and make my home there? My smoky flesh crawled at the word, home. I knew where my home was and it most definitely wasn't this Dragons Throat place. But... I didn't want to stay here, I let my observations travel back out to the darkness. The dim light of the mysterious, naked trunks had lightened a little, their yellow glow now swirling with a brief lick of gold. I watched it for a minute, thinking. "Milly always said... She always liked boys, said they were big and powerful. I don't know, I kinda think their a bit icky, buggy..."

I lifted my head toward Midas and stretched my small nose the last few inches to touch the trunk of his leg. "Can I meet him?" I warbled softly, eyes downcast so that the stallion wouldn't see the prickle of sadness there. I didn't really want to meet this colt and I didn't want to go to Dragons Throat. But I was scared and didn't want to be left alone, so what else could I do except follow the trail of security Midas offered me? I flared my nostrils, and leaned.
table by whit
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

It got so quiet that I wasn’t sure she was going to answer favorably, or perhaps even at all. The girl cast her eyes aside, studying the unnatural illumination and distant trees. Lord only knew what went on in a child’s conjuring, but I had to guess that she was weighing options with careful character. Stay or go? Linger along this darklite trail, or go with a stranger? Trusting wasn’t an easy task. If only there was a way to prove that there was no harm, but before one could prove they must be first given a chance. She spoke suddenly, thoughtfully, “Milly always said…” naturally I assumed that ‘Milly’ was a sister figure or even a cousin. Her mother surely wouldn’t talk about trivial matters, so it was easily discarded that this, ‘Milly,’ wasn’t her dam’s namesake.

My lips twitched humorously, it was amusing to hear how younglings thought of the opposite sex. If only such ideals would rub off on my youngest daughter; perhaps her adolescence years wouldn’t streak her guardian’s mane and tail with silver. If only we would be that lucky. “Can I meet him?” She asks quietly, still uncertain and quivering with traces of doubt.

I didn’t scoff her outward reaction and instead replied patiently, “If it pleases you.” It would be nice for her to have a friend of similar age, some things are easier to learn through the example of other youths. Dragon’s Throat seemed full of Frostfall colts and fillies, entering the beginnings of adulthood. Shedding the remainder of their baby fur.
Wanting to somehow ease her nerves I add, “Perhaps we can learn something about your Ma; nomads from distant lands have been traveling to the Throat for shelter from this…unusual occurrence.” Ivory banner flicks to one side, “Are you ready to depart?”
with you, with you

Unregistered

Escaflowne

(So should I just make a post in the throat and wait for Midas?)

My lips quivered and my body followed as I stood beside the massive pegasus, his two-skinned chest doing wonders to shade me from the snow's possession. Still it cascaded from my back in chilly rivulets of water and crystal, like timid fairies playing in the drip-fall. I glanced around once more with bright gold eyes before lifting my small snout toward him. Long ears swayed back into the short crop of my mane as I huddled as close to his breast as was possible.

A feeling of betrayal was planted in my heart and set there, waiting for the right motivation to bloom. Mother had abandoned me, Milly, Brutus, Angor... All gone with the swift coming of snow. This snow it was terrible! It was dreadful and cold and it was a harold to greater darkness to come. I was scared for how I understood this, a feeling in the depths of my young gut as I divined the landscape surrounding me. Cold... "It is cold, please!" My teeth clacked together and wide nostrils flared, taking in a sharp dose of oxygen.
table by whit
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Her body quaked with chills, crystal colored snow still trickled down around us. It had piled up a little around my feathers and they shuffled from their sheath like position until the wet heaviness was gone. I frowned a little and would have moved to push my wings across her slender back. Warming the flesh as they often did for Cera, but I felt that perhaps now wasn’t the time for me to be forward in our already shaky truce like relationship. She was abandoning this spot and becoming braver by the action—trusting me, a stranger and perhaps her last thread of light in this dark world.

“It is cold, please!”

Ebony crown bobbed in agreement and my limbs started their retracting shuffle back from whence they had come. It was no easy task in leading a woman child to what I hoped was a better future, surely it couldn’t be worst then the one that involved me leaving her alone for wolf bait. Softly I tried to ease us into a brisk pace that would be easy enough for her growing legs to maneuver without much harassment, “As we walk you will warm up, and the endless fire burning at home is quite soothing—I believe you will find it a welcome comfort.” Most of the herd stayed huddled around the pillar of flame. It was our only source of light, warmth and any semblance of protection. Not to mention it was the only available nutrition for our desert plants to feed from.

OOC: I can post something and link you if that would be easier? I've got some free moments and writing a short intro isn't very hard <'3.

Midas exits with Flow.
with you, with you