the Rift

[PRIVATE] Realisations

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
It was rare that the mare slept a dreamless sleep these strange, elongated nights. Nightmares ran rampart through her, like a tornado, leaving fractured and broken ruins in their wake. She awoke restless, weary and tired, all the time, never quite remembering what it was her mind was trying to tell her as her consciousness pushed aside the foggy unconscious ruins of her mind.

Only, tonight was different. Tonight, her dreams seemed so real, palpable. She could smell the blood, the burnt flesh. She could feel the chill of ice against her limbs. She could feel her heart breaking as she stared into the lifeless eyes of her beloved friend. Wings protruded from her sides, heavy, golden, and instead of hooves, she had great, sharp, platinum claws on the end of each strong limb. Her eyes delivered the same world to her but from a slightly different perspective - she noticed different things. Suddenly, there was that chilling cold, that icy sensation running up the sides of her legs, and she was perched on top of it through the flapping of those heavy wings.

Only, she wasn't quite fast enough. Through her heart she felt the ice penetrate, through her eyes she saw the spotted hide of the wielder of such magic. With a snarl she summoned the fire that lived within her belly, and with her last breath, she hurled it at that spotted demon. Mauja, she vaguely recalled, just as the life was taken from her - just as she woke up, a cold sweat trickling down behind her ears, and Akaith purring worriedly upon her back.

Mauja.

The mare was standing - very rarely did she lay down to sleep, even with the vigil of her mate near by. Moving as subtly as a shadow, she awoke her golden daughter with a gentle caress, reluctant yet desperate to confirm what it was her mind had finally pieced together after all this time of uncertainty.
"Tell me about you trip to the Heart, little one."
"The Sun God was there. He set fire to that white girl bonded to Tinek, and he healed that spotted stallion, and then he paid attention to one of the other fillies. Then I followed Sakura to.. to.."
"Shh, I know sweety. Tell me about how he healed."
"It was with magic, mother, as if light had stepped down from the sky and up from the Heart and then danced across the burn, leaving no hint of it behind."
"How would he have gotten burnt?"
"It was dragon's fire, mother. I am sure of it."

When her daughter had first told Mirage about the presence of Mauja at the Heart, she had thought nothing of it - too fresh was the wound caused by Torasin's departure. She recalled now, how she had shushed her daughter then, how she had assumed that the burn would have been caused by nothing more than the Heart itself.

But it all made sense now.

Mauja was the murderer of Torasin.

With a swift farewell, the little shadow mare moved. She wasn't sure where she was going, nor what needed to be done. Her mind was awhirl with the implications of her discovery. She wasn't even sure who she could discuss this fragile information with, who could help her. She had to tell someone, but with the absence of the Gods, she could hardly confide in her patron Goddess. So, it was with some absentminded rush, that the little shadowmare was travelling at reasonable speed towards the borders of her land, a golden dragon flitting through the trees above her, her destination as yet unknown, but her mindset decided upon at least one single fact.

Mauja would pay.

@[Kri]
Mirage the DragonHeart

image credits
table by whit

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

speak of all the love we lost and what it cost us</style>
left us to beg our breath would stop, but we kept on</style>
AND WE WERE STRONG.</style>

I flew through darkness, shadow. There was nothing to light the sky, and the world seemed flipped upside down, with the stars dotting the earth instead of the heavens above. The glowing trees which had sprouted. I still did not know the exact purpose of the trees, but I knew the trails illuminated were the common travels of equines below.

The skies were left unmarked, but my experince told me that I was heading steadily north, toward the World's Edge where Mirage would surely be waiting for me, or, at least, I hoped. Through thick and thin times, the Dragonheart had long stood by my side. When the world faced us with adversity, we met it with surely, stolid determination and the hearts of friends. Few are those who run deep as blood; Mirage was more my family than many who shared my own blood, and I would trust that bond we shared. Some may claim circumstance forced us to remain tied, but I feel that even if we were both stripped of our titles and our homes, we would remain together. I pray that I will never have to test my theory.

The whistle of feathers in the still air is what would greet the dimly twinkling forest below. The air felt dead, reft of any wind that would normally accompany me, yet the push and pull of my wings would never falter. I began to descend, my figure reach soft circles as I scan for a small clearing upon which to land. Forests are always a pain in the ass to visit - too many trees, not enough landing strips. I had become accustomed to traveling closer toward the cliffs of the land, but in this night, I was uncertain where the forest truly ended and the sea began. It would be safer to search in the soft light for a break in the branches.

I slow my pace, an unusual style for one such as myself. I was all about daring swoops and landings, but I could not risk my health in these times. My hooves come to the earth with a gentle thud. It was then I heard the leather of wings. The glint of gold in a world of misty silver stars. The World's Edge was strangely beautiful in this unnatural light. I learned where the constellations that normally bedecked the skies had gone - home.

I began to move swiftly in the direction of gold, hoping my eyes did not fail me. "Mirage," I call, tentatively, in the shadows of the night. The shadow mare, plucked out of the stars, was like a thin silhouette. I smile, my old friend. "I have heard of the troubles which befell your home," I begin, thinking of Solstice and Torasin, the names of the fallen Valentine passed to me. "I am sorry to hear of such a loss."

"A dwindling in the Throat has begun, unfortunately. Several have not returned home for many months. I grow nervous that the Basin is preparing something for us, or planning to slowly choke us of our members," my voice is calm, despite the troubling words I deliver. "Mauja has never been my friend, and I have been a pain in Psyche's ass several times."

"I fear for my family in this eerie night."

KRI the RESOLUTE</style>
MY FRIENDS, I'M ONLY FLESH AND BONE, BUT I WON'T LET YOU DIE ALONE.</style>

image by vinothchandar @ flickr.com

She was distracted, disjointed, her mind was frazzled. The weight of this realisation seemed to disrupt all other thought patterns, all sense of co-ordinated action.

It was him, Akaith. The FrostHeart. The Ice King. He killed Torasin.
Yes.
I want him dead, Akaith. More than anything, I yearn for his death.
No, you don't.
I do!
No. You want him to suffer. To feel that which you are feeling.
But how?
We will find a way.

It was then that the dragon felt, more than heard, the wingbeats that announced the arrival of a pegasus - the pale outline of a blonde mane and tail combined with the hint of blue caught in eyes of the maiden, suggested that said pegasus was familiar - Kri. Upon this recognition, a huge exhale seemed to spill forth from the dark mare's lips, as a breath she did not even realise she was holding seemed to finally release, stresses seemed lighter to bear. Her friend, her loyal companion all though years ago in the wilds, the Resolute one alongside whom she had not only aided in gaining the Throat as a home but the very grounds she stood upon. It was too long since she had visited the southern borders of her friend's home, and the darkness had forced her to hide with her mate and daughters more often then not of late.

"Kri," her voice spoke with the relief she felt lining her tones, her svelte ears leaning forward eagerly to listen to her words, even as her bodice regained some semblance of co-ordination and brought her shadowy form closer to the chocolate one.

"The identity of both murderers is now known, though it has only just, belatedly, arrived to me. Torasin was killed by a weapon that had melted away, though a calling card was left behind - I did not see it at first, I was blind in my grief. Mauja is Torasin's murderer. And D'Artagnan is Solstice's. There is little doubt in my mind that the Basin is behind the decline in numbers we are feeling too." Adopting a similarly grim, but calm tone as her sister in herd responsibility and life, the DragonHeart did not hesitate to launch into the guts of the situation, slicing it open with her direct and forthright language, done away with the colourful lyrics and puzzling riddles.

"The time has come to prove to them that we are not put here for them to torture as they please. The time has come to give them a taste of their own medicine. There is a reward on Mauja's horn, intact or not." It was as violent as the little shadowmare ever got, but when considering the circumstances, she was taking a leaf out of Lace's book. They would not wage a war, but they would certainly do everything in their power to convince the Northerners that they best stay in their icy abode, and stop intruding upon the peaceable lands claimed by Mirage and Kri as their homes.

"Fear not, Kri, for as long as we live, we know that they have not won." Taking another step closer, the DragonHeart breathed, a deep sigh filling her ribs, the scent of sand and a fire that burned eternally onwards in the distance dancing along her nares, she touched her velvet maw against her friend's nape as she exhaled. "I am sorry I have been less than present by your side recently. My wings have been taken from me during this abysmal turn of events, and I have been greedy in keeping my warriors and family within my own borders. When the Gods return.. If they return.. We should look into a device that might allow us more effective communication over distances. I miss your company, but I would trust no other to lead a herd separate yet closely allied with my own."
Mirage the DragonHeart

image credits
table by whit

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

The relief in Mirage's voice became evident immediately, and I smile slightly in return. During times of turmoil, the company of friends would relieve the heart, but something about the expression on the shadow mare's face, gleaming in the dull light of twinkling stars, told me that more than just the night rested on her heart. Eagerly, the small chocolate ears pull forward to capture the evenly speaking voice, ripped of her normal riddles.

We were far too close for that now.

More bad news, with the identity of both murderers revealed. My heart sinks, knowing that Mirage would never give into hatred, despite the rage which burns in her eyes. I look meek, even with my brutish features. Mauja the Frostheart. I knew he was going to be a thorn in the side of my life since the moment I saw his collected face in my home. That rat bastard, he would pay for the crimes he committed. Had his target been anyone else than Torasin, I doubt the pain would be felt as heavily by the Dragonheart. To be stricken of your long standing friend - I knew the feeling well. However, I am just glad that those who have passed on do not have to walk this upcoming future with me. I did not know what the world would hold for me, but I knew that I would not stand idly by as Mirage's heart was torn asunder by nothing more than a plague of snow.

I will melt the Ice King with the fire in my soul, or I will die trying. "I will do my best to return a horn of ice to you, my friend," I say, my voice taking back on the fire it held normally, eyes gleaming in the dark. "For a scar on your heart leaves one upon mine as well."

I lean toward Mirage even as approaches me, the soft velvet of her muzzle touching my nape, my own reaching out to her shoulder to complete the embrace. "Your support is felt from a distance, sister," I say in response for her apology. I had never felt abandoned by the World's Edge or their Queen. We were separated by many sands, which explained the lack of communication we often suffered. Trips were often more frequent, but in this night, robbed of my personal wind, even flying had taken longer than usual. "The wind does not follow me in the absence of the Gods, so I have been robbed of fast travel as well." I smile slightly, though sadly. The wind was ever my friend, but now I felt more isolated in this silent world.

"An interesting idea, this line of communication, or perhaps some means of fast travel. It would be lovely to spare the long journey north to see a friendly face."

KRI the RESOLUTE</style>

Standing by her long term friend, Mirage had to wonder at how she had won the chocolate mare's loyalty - and indeed, how Kri had secured her own. Why had they not then just joined a herd together? Their ideals were similar, their belief that all species were equal in srengths and weaknesses, their devotion for one another - why then, were they leaders of different herds, standing in lands of opposing Gods, yet allied despite it all? They were too similar, perhaps, both too ambitious, too fiercely protective over their kin. There was no doubt that should one of their herds, for whatever reason, fall, they would combine in harmony, seamlessly becoming the largest, most formidable herd of Helovia.

Perhaps it was because neither of them had desires to rule the largest, most formidable herd in Helovia, that they kept things the way they were, with distance between them but an alliance that bound their herds together in an undeniable bond. Mirage thought of it now, and considered it something akin to the bond shared between herself and Akaith - unquestionable, untouchable, yet undeniably present. The thought brought a small crumb of comfort to the heart of the troubled maiden.

The words of confirmation, of promise and shared burdens were captured by the dark audits that sat atop the WeyrLeader's tiara. As she heard them, she allowed their meaning to settle, the tenseness of her realisation to unknit slightly along the contours of her bodice, where it had been settling - her shoulders, her back, her haunches, and largely, within her cranium, where a dull ache had settled in the wake of her reeling thoughts. The mare sighed, glad to have the support of her friend, and somewhat regretting her initial thoughts of wishing for Mauja's horn on a platter before her. She still hated the spotted beast, and she would have her revenge, one day, but she mostly wanted to question him, to find out.. she owed Torasin that much, before she took out her selfish rage on the one who had taken her best friend from this world.

"The Gods will be back," the mare says with confidence that she did not feel, and it probably was evident in the hollow tones she spoke in, though perhaps Kri would chalk that up to her fatigue - though she suspected Kri knew her better than that. "Perhaps a shared pool of water, or a portal..." Her voice drifted off as she came to the conclusion that musing about it was all well and good, but the fact of the matter was, nothing could be done unless the master creators of this land returned to them.

"I was born in lands where the Sun did not rise, I always found comfort in the darkness. But this darkness is unnerving even I. My daughter saw them go, they left us so that whatever is out there would not enter here." She relayed the story her beloved golden daughter gave her, albeit paraphrased and explained more clearly now that Mirage had discussed the matter with the herd. "Israfel, the daughter of the Sun Lord and our Doctor, ensured the fires of our camps were lit before journeying across Helovia to spread the light left lingering on her wings to all who needed it. I pray that the half-God children of Helovia do not bring the same end as those of Isilme." Her voice grew quiet again, contemplative, as she considered the implications of having the young demi-gods in charge. A breath filled her lungs, a deep sigh, as she reset her mind to address the matter she had brought up earlier.

"Despite it all, Kri, we must prove that we are not pawns for those who would work against us to shove and bully as they please. It is time to hurt them where it is sure to affect them the most." A grim seriousness entered the tonal range of her voice, as she loathed the idea of stirring chaos, of hurting others - which is why their plan would not involve violence, per say, but rather a clear, undeniable beacon to those who would harm them that they would not fall, no matter what was thrown their way.

With a sad nod of her crown, she confirmed with the deep stare of her golden gaze piercing the azure pools of Kri, that the time had come for them to effect a change on this world that would suit their means, once again.
Mirage the DragonHeart

image credits
table by whit

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

Funny, how Mirage managed to sound so confident despite the lack of enthusiasm behind the words. We were both uneasy, and I felt as though the older mare were simply trying to comfort me with her own false confidence in the Gods. To be frank, deities have never been my favorite beings. They often were arrogant assholes, or, in Helovia, abandon you without warning, leaving the land and sky lifeless. Whatever feelings of warmth I had received from the God of the Sun were slackened to practically none in his absence.

The Basin was staring us down, slowly eating away at our numbers. Now was not the time for an extended vacation of magic.
Or, maybe, it was the perfect opportunity.

As I listen to my old friend, I realize that she has much of the same reservations as my own. This night was uncomfortable and eerie, but as long as I did not have to face it alone, I would survive. Without something to fight for, I do not have much fight in me. "Valentine described their disappearance as stepping through some sort of... rift," I say, thinking back on exactly what the herd had told her before her flight to the Edge. "I hope they return victorious," my voice sounding distant as I think of where they might possibly be. "And soon."

"I do not fear these children as I would those of Isilme." An honest statement, I suppose. I did not care for Gods nor their spawn, but I knew directly what monsters the children of Sepagus, Nieque, and Cinnoru were. "Unlike those brats, these children will at least know balance and not blind racism. Besides, if the others are anything like Israfel, they are already blessing the world with good intentions." The worry in my heart still grows, but I did not want to fill Mirage with more doubts. Perhaps this time around, the babes of immortals would not wreak havoc on our land.

The Dragonheart mentions again the issue of the Basin, and I know as well as she that we have been inactive for too long as they take our members prisoner, as well as their lives, without regret or consequence. "We have been silent for too long, Mirage," I say, my voice sad and sincere. "That my kin have been reft from my side and yours fills me with a guilt I cannot shoulder any longer. We will remind them of the power which pushed them from their home," my hoof stomping upon the very loam that once belonged to Mauja the Frostheart. "If they will not stand for our freely given peace, we will just have to make them respect it."

"Whatever your plan, I will support it." I did not fear she would lead us to war. After all, Mirage was not the leader infamous for bloodshed.
That would be me.

KRI the RESOLUTE</style>

Hearing that a member of the Throat had seen much the same as her own daughter and fellow members of the Qian, Mirage's gut unclenched a tension she was unaware she was holding. It was not that she had misbelieved them, only hoped that what they had seen had not been misinterpreted. That this Valentine had seen the same thing, and read it the same way, gave her some hope that they would return. Mirage concurred with Kri's fierce words, a small nod given as she wished for their swift return. Kri spoke further of the God's own children, and it was again a comfort to know that they felt similarly on the matter - the demigods of Helovia would be their salvation - or else they were all doomed anyway..

More words of loyalty were spoken, more resonating hums of partnership, promise, and determination. With each sentence given by the chocolate liege, Mirage's own confidence grew, as she was reminded just why they were friends, why they were each a leader of a herd, why they held their titles against all who would threaten to take them away. They had both suffered in their places, both been threatened, tested, both successful in holding their ranks despite the flow of time and the constant barrage of challenges they faced, both from other mortals and even immortals that would test their mettle. They were here because they worked together, and they would stride together into the future and continue to reap their rewards.

There was no way Mirage was allowing this plan to be heard by ears other than Kri's, as she lifted her maw to the level of the Resolute's ear, and whispered in a voice barely audible, a plan she hoped would change the way their enemies thought of them. With a breath, she let the words pass from her lips, and with another breath, she stopped them, moving her muzzle down the nape of the leader, nudging gently as if to check that the words were successfully received. Once she gained acknowledgement, she raised her voice to normal levels again, and tried to bring forth conversation that would divert from the precious information she had just departed with.

"I hope no more have tried to challenge you for your title since our last meet?" Mirage's own title had never been challenged for, not directly, not by one whom she had welcomed to the herd, called family, loved and cared for. Such betrayal would have shaken the mare to her core - she reflected on the way the Resolute had dealt with each of the insults that came her way, how she had defeated them banished them.
Mirage the DragonHeart

image credits
table by whit

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

Even as my words of the demi-god children roll from my tongue, I cannot help but feel a pang of guilt in my stomach. It had never been my idea to be the dam to the son of Sepagus, and all of the Gods know that much. Still, I could not help but feel somewhat responsible for bringing destruction to the home I loved, even if it were at the hands of Cielo. Despite my lack of care during pregnancy, even daring to fight the Roc bird, he had lived. Had I just gutted myself on something, he would never had been born. Did I make the right choice?

Here, in Helovia, I had raised a family out of ragtag pegasus and our friends, something for which I am proud. Even now, I had doubts about my abilities as leader. I need to remind myself more often, perhaps, that I have retained my title longest in these lands, despite the tribulations and challenges I have faced.
Beside my oldest friend, I feel more comfortable in my position.
Worthy, if you will.

Giving her enough space to come next to my ear, noticing once more just how short I seemed in comparison to her own lithe form. Her muzzle tucked close to my ear, her voice comes out like the faint whisper of wind, just loud enough for my ear alone. As she divulges her plan, I begin to smile, the corners of my lips tugging upward in appreciation of those more tricksy than myself. The shadowmare was honorable, but she also had many brilliant plans up her sleeve. As she pulls away to make certain I have heard her words, I give her a smirk, my dark eyes gleaming in the night. "I will get started as soon as I return home," I say with a low whisper, turning my attention back to Mirage as she returns to normalcy.

I laugh, my voice peeling through the darkness with an oddly delighted sound. Her question was amusing to me, mainly because every time someone challenged by grit, I raised victorious, sitting on my throne unharmed. "Not since Azzaron decided he felt like an ass kicking and banishment," giving her a warm smile. "I have not had many troubles aside from the Basin since."

KRI the RESOLUTE</style>