[OPEN] !! High Hopes in Velvet Ropes [Sohalia]

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
give me your eyes for just one second,
give me your eyes so i can see
everything that i keep missing

It was about time that Rasta figured out these new surroundings. It wasn't a bunch of swamp and rivers around here. In fact, it was quite dry and barren - the polar opposite of where she used to leave. Just that simple thought dawned a creation for the nightmares to begin to linger around in her cranium and sleep was now something she wished to push off. To push far far off. Her hooves clipped against the ground in a continuous rhythm. Each step matching the last, evenly spaced with no more or less weight than the previous.

Why was it, now, that everything was seeming so mechanical and planned? Had she lot all of her spontaneity in the invasion and being trapped as a prisoner of war? Had she become so broken that all that was left of her soul was some shattered image only capable of keeping the formalities and the image she had once had? Could she even allow herself to break down and cry and take in all the horrible events that had happened? Had the wall she had built to protect herself after the shattering experience with Scathashoun been raised and fortified too high to allow herself the grace of taking it down?

Rasta's features held an old and worn look for someone who appeared to be so young. She held much past her years and she was uncertain she would really be able to continue moving on in her later years. She used to be able to shed tears of joy. She used to be able to shed tears of pain. Now she couldn't shed any. She knew her way around without much of a second thought - but she couldn't even navigate the sea of her own emotions anymore. It all flooded her brain at once when it dared to pass the flood-gates that were holding them at bay.

And so, here she was, floating forward until she felt something strange. A tall, looming wall against the edges of the border -or at least what she assumed was the border. Her entire frame stopped, haunches dropping as she raised her head up toward the sky. Bewilderment shoveled through her features as she let out a snort of uncertainty. "What the-" were the only words she could muster up as she attempted to take all this in.

That was when it hit. It hit her like a bull ramming it's entire weight into the one who had caused it anger and taunted it. All of the air was knocked from her lungs as shame flooded through her. If only she had thought of a way to fortify her lands! Then perhaps they would still be there! Perhaps Ramaskith would have been put to rest! Perhaps there would have still been an area of freedom! But no. She had failed. She had failed in her attempts at protecting the one thing she had sworn to protect. She had let her pregnant state get the best of her. And she had lost everything in her attempt of getting enough freedom to come back for her mate and child. She knew not of their state of existence now and it sickened her.

Everything that had happened was all her fault...

549 words
@[sohalia]
if anyone wants to crash they are welcome to <33
Image Credits

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

The night is dark and full of terrors, or at least that is what they say. At times I believe them, but sometimes I do not. This is one of the latter times. The night presses in around me, but it wraps itself around me, pulling me into its embrace, almost like a lover. Gaucho, my mind whispers, but it is an errant thought in an empty skull. There is little that catches my attention tonight as I stand atop the creation that is partially mine, and partially of those before me. I had sought to protect those I loved, I strove to build something to keep them safe. But the gods have gone, and our magic with them, and so I am again powerless to stop what may come. I shed no tears; I feel no pain. There is only acceptance now, a deep melancholy that settles in my bones, a cold and unwelcome knowing that this night might well be our last.

We are not without enemies, the Dragon's Throat, and it is not without a heavy heart that I sleep. Perhaps if I had pushed myself a little harder, worked a bit longer into each night before this... perhaps if I had avoided Gaucho's advance, if I had not become laden with child... but no, that was before my gift had come, and I would not give up my daughter for the world. I could say the same of Skysong - I will always say the same of Skysong - but my heart aches for her, and for my lost firstborn Diniel, and for my missing mate Note, and for all those I could not save before Helovia. I am surrounded by sadness and loss, it would seem, carrying nothing with me but suffering for those whom I deign to love. Perhaps it would have been better if I had simply declined Rowan's offer to come to the Dragon's Throat, if I had passed through Helovia as I had so many other places, a leaf on the breeze, floating wherever the wind might take me. Had it been a better life? No. But had it been a safer life?

Perhaps it had been, for everyone else.

A voice interrupts my dark musings, and I find that it is one I recognize. Zenobia sleeps in the heart of the Throat, safe within the confines of the herd, and I must return to her soon, but for now I believe a talk with one as wise as Rasta will do me good. I like her, and I respect her, though I know so little of her. My hooves clang softly against metal as I make my way carefully down one of the ramps, and then they thud softly into sand. I would never have dreamed that I would love the desert as I do now, but I suppose I have never thought to have multiple lovers, either. One must adapt, or one will die. That is what they say. As I see it, it is indisputable truth. "Miss Rasta," I greet her warmly, wanting to reach out to brush my muzzle against her shoulder in welcome, but being too shy to do so.

"Talk talk talk."
@[Rasta]

Sohalia
Don't wanna leave this life knowing I barely tried...
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Rasta shuffled her feet in uncertainty as she peered up at the wall, feeling each tiny crevice of the metal wall as she inched back a few steps. It was so strange, stumbling across a wall after a bunch of barren land being all she had seen for a while. Each little shift of hooves from horses relatively close to her had caught her attention, though she knew not if someone was circling the sky above her. The thought of that was disconcerting. She didn't enjoy knowing that she was defenseless from the air. And now, there was actually a threat there. It only made her wish for the companionship of her hawk even more. She wanted to know what had severed her connection and made her vulnerable to normal disease and sickness and that worried her even more. She had become so accustomed to living forever that the thought of death coming soon enough was something that didn't seem to sit too well in her brain.

That was when she heard the sound of hooves clacking against the desert terrain and heading toward the wall, and the vibrations were strong in accompanying them. Shifting her cranium toward the oncoming being she bobbed her head in a sign of welcome, though she hadn't quite yet placed exactly who it was joining her. There were too many new bodies she had yet to interact with enough to be able to place who it was off of just their walk and posture. The approach, though, did let her know it was far from threatening so she allowed her muscles to relax as she turned ever so slightly in the sand to face her.

Her name was placed in the air, accompanied with a Miss. A smile curled up her lips as she moved in just a little closer to the mare bumped her maw up against the one who she believed to be Sohalia right underneath the joint that was connecting the massive wing to her shoulder bone. "Sohalia? Is that you?" she asked, her head tilting to the side a little. "Please, ma'am. No need to call me Miss. Honestly, just Rasta is fine. I am not leading a kingdom anymore - formalities such as these are not of any necessity with me." She explained with a grin as she stood back, head still tilted to the side. "Is something wrong? I can't tell if there is something bothering you in your strides or if that is just how you normally walk," she explained, concern flitting through her features as she waited to see how the mare was really doing.

445 words
@[Sohalia]
I love Rasta and I love Sohalia ;3
Image Credits

Sohalia

She recognizes me as I call her name, and I am pleased by the smile that forms on her maw. I grin in return, relieved, and though she cannot see me I am sure that she will note my reaction. Thus far I have been amazed at what she can "see," and I cannot imagine that this will be any different. She is quite incredible, and I wish I knew more of her history, for I have an almost instinctual feeling and she and I could be quite good friends. If I weren't so completely in awe of her, that is. Her nose bumps my shoulder beneath the wing joint; the appendage is folded out of her way, so it is not difficult for her to do so. I return the gesture, brushing my own maw against the base of her nape, which is as far as I can reach from my current location. "It is," I say in response to her inquiry. Good, so she did know me!

"I will probably retain the 'Miss,' if it is not a bother," I add sheepishly. "It is a force of habit, and such things are very difficult to quit, wouldn't you say?" It is half a joke, and though I do not laugh, a soft smile remains on my face. I suppose that if it really bothers her, I will make an effort to stop, but I cannot imagine addressing her in any other way. She is just so... wise, and intimidating, and strong, and everything I want to be in life. What else does one call one's role model other than miss? Furthermore, she knows that I am not particularly happy, though we have known each other only a short time, and I am reminded of my friendship with Rowan, and of my friendship with Phaedra, both of whom read me remarkably well - and that's with sight. Dare I hope that Rasta and I will develop a similar relationship?

"I am... worried," I admit, though the word hardly seems to do my thoughts justice. "This wall... it's my responsibility. The God of the Sun gifted me with a wondrous ability to weld metal, but since the endless night came, I can't. It's just... gone. All of my magic, as if it were never there." I frown. "I didn't know how reliant I was on it until it wasn't there. And how am I supposed to contribute to the herd without being able to do this? How am I supposed to protect my family?" I think of Zenobia, my precious daughter. I think of Skysong, the rogue child I have already lost. I think of Diniel, dead before she began to live. I think of Gaucho, though I hardly think I can count him as family - but I see him as such all the same.

I should not burden her with my problems, but she has a way of instilling calm and trust in me. I feel as though I have known her for years rather than days, and again I wonder if I might call her a friend as I do the others. Again I wonder if I am not more a nuisance than anything to her. She did not seek me out on purpose; it was I that approached her. She asked if I was alright, but perhaps it was only being polite. What if I merely annoyed her? What if she would rather be elsewhere? The thoughts swirl around my mind, and I wonder when I became so insecure. Surely it was after Note left; surely it was a result of the various rejections I have suffered through in only the past year. Surely I was not always this way - was I?

"Talk talk talk."
@[Rasta]

Sohalia
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

As Rasta smiles she can feel the tiny upturn in winged mare's maw before she gently bumps her maw against the shoulder below the wing in welcome. Her voice making sure she is saying hello to the correct winged creature. And, the response only proves that she has at least managed to pinpoint the mare who had led her to this new land that she could call her home, the gesture of welcome returned by a gentle brush against Rasta's nape as the smile widens her maw even more.

Again, Rasta says that the Miss is not required. After all, she is not leading anymore, it serves no purpose. The winged one says she wishes to retain the miss, calling it a form of habit and making a light joke of it. Though, Rasta can tell that she is a little shy in her speech. "I suppose if you cannot get rid of it is fine. Though, I do not wish to make it seem as though I am in a leadership position when I have just joined." she explained, her brows furrowing slightly before shrugging it off and questioning her well being. Something seemed to be bothering her, but of course Rasta could have been wrong in reading her stride.

It didn't take too long for the mare to admit that she was worried. Carefully, Rasta bobbed her head, audits perked tall in an effort to urge her on. She knew from experience spilling what was eating one up inside only aided the process of healing. The words that are uttered from Sohalia's mouth is understandable. She has lost the one thing that defined her. And it seemed as though she had done quite a good job with the thing that defined her, as the wall that was near the two mares was definitely sturdy.

Carefully, she pulls herself forward just a little, snatching a piece of the mare's mane and giving it a light tug to pull out the knot that was in it before I ever so delicately kick my hind leg into the metal wall, listening to the way it echos strongly until the resonating of the metal clanging cannot be heard. "Sohalia. You will contribute just fine. I am certain the endless night will very much so end. Do you hear how sturdy that wall is? There are a few weak spots, but they can easily be fixed. You built this - without any way of really telling just how strong it would become. You are not weak. You will find ways to protect your family." Rasta paused, her blind eyes closing for a moment. "Have you considered actually listening to the world around you and feeling everything it has to offer? Taking in the vibrations? They offer more information than one would believe..." She explained, delicately stomping her hoof in the dirt and feeling as it sent out the vibrations to the metal walk ways, nothing else around them except perhaps a few random animals scuttling around in the night. "It will aid you more in the dark - where it is more difficult to see... I can try and teach you if you'd wish..." Rasta finished, tilting her cranium ever so slightly to the side so that her forelock covered her eyes which were still straining to lock upon the mare which was in front of her. The winged one was stronger than she knew. It was all a matter of getting her to believe it...

591 words
@[Sohalia]
Image Credits

Sohalia

I can understand her rationale for not wanting me to continue to call her 'miss'. Of course, it helps that she understands why it is necessary for me to do so - doesn't she? I do hope that she does, for I would very much like her to know how much I value her companionship. She reminds me of Mother, in a way, though they are vastly different in both appearance and persona. But they both make me feel safe - loved, even - and for that I am more grateful than I can possibly explain.

But our conversation has moved on, and I find that I do not wish to draw more attention to that which seems to be of little importance. My misery has me wrapped within its clutches now, a dark little spiral with no end in sight. A gentle tug on my nape pulls me to the present, however, and I look up into the kind eyes of Rasta. The clang of hoof on metal makes me start, and I jerk my head up and away, searching for the danger; it is only after I realize that Rasta is to blame that I settle sheepishly and listen. She has caught my attention, and continues to do so throughout her speech. Weak spots? Where? Vibrations? How? What?

I gape at her for a moment before gathering my wits. I am strong, she has just reassured me of that, and surely I can grasp what she is trying to tell me, for I am neither weak nor stupid. "I... you can feel the weak spots?" I venture. "Could you tell me where, when the sun returns?" That, of course, is my first concern, as the wall is to be our protection. It cannot be made poorly or weakly, though I find myself blaming those crafters who came before me. Recognizing the emotion, I quickly squash it, for how is it fair to blame those before for what may very well be my mistakes?

As for the vibrations: "I have never thought to feel the world around me, Miss Rasta," I admit, again sheepishly. "But I would gladly learn what you have to teach." I want to learn, for I feel it will assist me in building my wall, in sheltering my family. I need to know, for it will give me something to do. "If it's not too much trouble, of course," I add, with a slight smile.

"Talk talk talk."
@[Rasta]

Sohalia

Zenobia Posts: 61
Absent Abyss atk: 3.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Athvadar :: Albino Grey Wolf :: None Semper
even rivers start as mere droplets falling from the sky
</style>

Sleeping.

I seemed to do a lot of this sleeping. Mother said it was important to rest when one's body was weary. When I was awake, I felt so full of energy all the time - the fatigue struck me down suddenly, and before I knew it, slumber and dreams had taken me to worlds far away. Mother always seemed to know when this would happen, for we always seemed to return to the Oasis, surrounded by our friends and family, where my limbs would fold beneath me and under her watchful gaze I would fall to sleep. I dreamed of curious things, of fire and darkness dancing together, like the great pillar that lighted our home shooting to the heavens above. Mother often mentioned this thing called the Sun. She said it was like the Moon that always watches over us now, only it burned like fire. I had never seen such a thing, and imaging it was difficult. I was born under this so-called darkness, and with nothing but the moonlight to guide me, I found my eyes able to see details that others complained were taken from them without this Sun to illuminate their vision. My dreams contained nothing but moonlight, sometimes shrouded by burning balls of fire, for that is all I could imagine when Mother spoke of the Sun.

I awoke with a shiver. My petite crown lifted from where it laid upon my folded forelegs, a yawn stretching my dark muzzle wide. A snort left my nostrils as I peered about me, curious as to the whereabouts of my mother. Scrambling to my feet, I shook the sand that clung to my pale hide, flicking my dual toned bottlebrush tail from side to side as my dark, cocoa eyes took in the various shapes of familiars around me. But mother wasn't amongst them. Before anyone could object, I made my way swiftly towards the open sands of our home, stretching my wings beside me as I ran, enjoying the feeling of wind passing through the pale feathers. They were not yet big enough to carry me in flight, and I wasn't yet co-ordinated enough to figure that out yet anyhow. But I could at least run, and fly in my own way. I headed towards the wall of our home, for that was often where I found one or both of my parents. Father spent a long time flying over the borders, and mother spent time staring at the wall she said she had started when the Gods were here. It was the Sun God who gave her power, but with him gone, there was nothing much she could do but stare at the unfinished work.

As I approached the border, I could see her petite, ivory frame outlined by the shadow of the wall behind her, seemingly glowing in the moonlight. Nearby, there is another, smaller and wingless being - I vaguely remember her face, her cerulean eyes peering down at me the first time I ever breathed outside of my mother's womb. I sung out to them both, happily flapping my wings as I did so, not realising the speed I was gaining in my excitement. I took a leap, only, it was at the wrong time - my wings soon became tangled, seemingly on nothing, on air, and the sand in front of me soon slapped me in the face. I was barely a few strides away from mother. A few moments of general flailing, with wings jutting out at awkward angles and limbs digging trenches in the sand, and my little tiara stuck upwards, a sneeze leaving my nose. I blinked, once, twice, before simply staring up at the pale beings nearby, sheepishly grinning at my clumsiness.

Image Credits
[Image: 573ea2c04723f]
please tag Zenobia in all replies!
magic & force is permitted, excluding death or permanent injury.

She clangs her hoof against the metal, making her point about the difference in sounds of the wall itself. As it rings, Rasta sees Sohalia jerk her head up, looking for the danger that is not present. She explained the holes and the weaknesses that were present in the walls and Soh's eyes were on Rasta with such an intensity she knew that the mare was definitely taking heed to what she was saying.

"Yes, I can feel them..." I start, watching her carefully for her reaction before adding, "And, yes, I can help point them out specifically once the sun has returned." The other mare continues to speak after a short pause, this time going about the vibrations I had spoken off. Saying she had never thought to feel the world that way, and that she was willing to attempt to learn it.

Rasta lets out a small laugh and a gentle bob of her head before feeling as the young foal takes off to try and spread it's wings. Leaping at the wrong time, she ends up tumbling into her own makeshift trench in the sand. She sneezed once before grinning up at the two mares standing and conversing.

A tiny sigh escaped Rasta's mouth as she gave a tiny smile toward the little one all tangled up in her own limbs upon the ground. "It's a little hard to explain. And I don't wish to scare your little one. But, did you feel anything as she tumbled to the ground?" Rasta inquired, before pausing for a second. "I'm going to stomp my hoof. You will, obviously, hear it as it thuds against the ground, but try and see if you can feel the rings of vibrations, much like water ripples, along the ground..." She attempted to explain before giving her hoof a hard stomp into the sandy substance she stood upon. The vibrations pooled out, spreading across her vision and making some of the structures even more pronounced than they had been in her skull.

This would definitely be difficult to teach...

353 words
Sorry it took so long, guys ._.
Image Credits

Sohalia

It has been so long, it seems, since I have had something to occupy my attention. No, that is not true - Zenobia holds my heart in her dainty little hooves, and she gives me plenty to do. But it is not the same, not when I long to offer something more, something substantial to my family. I could not keep Note; I could not keep Skysong; I will not keep Gaucho. But Zenobia, perhaps, I can hold, I can help, I can love, for it would seem that no one else will have me. Perhaps she, too, will grow out of my affections one day, as her successors had before her, but a mother can hope for the everlasting adoration of her children. So it has been since the beginning of time.

It is my daughter who interrupts us now, who pulls my fascinated (though horribly rude) stare from Rasta, a feat for which I find myself immensely grateful. I nicker my own greeting as the young, spindly-legged flicka gallivanted her way towards us, my wings stretching out protectively out of reflex, as though to gather and shelter her from harm. I take a step towards her - and then she stumbles, tumbling head over heels to a stop at our feet. I hide a chuckle behind a wing, so used to motherhood by now that I do not fear for her well-being. Children, I have noticed, are remarkably hardy little things. It is only as we grow older and become aware of the dangers surrounding us that we break and fall to pieces. I admire the tenacity and bravery of the younglings, for I wish that I could have my own fearlessness back. It would do me a great deal of good in these troubled times.

"Come, darling," I croon, my vocals betraying just how smitten I was with my daughter. "Say hello to Miss Rasta." A gentle smile alights on my maw, and with the wing closest to Zenobia still outstretched, I return my attention to Rasta. She begins to explain her power - for that is how I think of it, being unused to such a 'sixth sense,' if you will - and I again find myself fascinated by her descriptions. She is blind, and yet she sees better than those of us who retain our vision. Clarity is something that I have found myself lacking so very often, particularly in my areas of courtship; though I doubt feeling the vibrations of the world will guard against my own stupidity, her teachings will no doubt give me something else to focus on.

I close my eyes as she continues to instruct me, one aud flicking to my daughter so that I might keep a metaphorical eye on her. Rasta stomps; I hear it, clear as day, as my other ear has remained eagerly trained on her. But try as I might, I do not feel anything save the swish of my own tail against my legs, driving away a few flies. I open my eyes and train my gaze bashfully on the ground, shifting my weight uncomfortably before I gaze at Rasta through my lowered lashes. "I'm sorry," I say sheepishly. "I didn't feel a thing."

"Talk talk talk."
@[Rasta]
@[Zenobia]

Sohalia

Zenobia Posts: 61
Absent Abyss atk: 3.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Athvadar :: Albino Grey Wolf :: None Semper
even rivers start as mere droplets falling from the sky
</style>

The comfort of my mother's wing draped across my own shoulders did little to dampen the smile that had curved maw. Rather, it broadened its reach. I leaned into it, whickering warmly, even as her gentle nudging against my nape aided my balance in putting my feet beneath me once more. I crooned gratefully to her, leaning my similarly pale hide against her own, wondering at the simple differences in shade that existed between the dark rim of my feathers and mane, and the pale magnificence of my mother's bodice. I look to the friend she indicates, Rasta, and observe that she is of pale bodice too - were all great mares pure and white, with no markings to obscure their brilliance? When I grew up and learned all there is to know, like my mother, would I too hold a hide of sheer, pure ivory?

I followed my mother's instructions, stepping forward gingerly to greet the mare without wings. The smile on my face is kind and childish - I am too young and ignorant to understand that the blankness of her eyes is truly a blankness to her ability to see me - and my velveteen nose reaches out to her in greeting. "Hello," I murmur quietly, with a light laugh curling the word at the end, as I grow shy and bashful at potentially being caught in the middle of all the attention. They mostly seemed to speak over me, though I heard their words, I didn't truly grasp what it was they were talking about. I watched the equine maiden strike the earth with a sure, hardened foot, I saw the way the sand moved outwards from the impact. Mother mentioned not feeling a thing, and I merely shrugged, not entirely sure what it was we were feeling anyway. Even though I have very little clue as to what they are talking about, I wonder with some cheek curving a smirk onto my maw, whether I could help them further.

"Want dance?" I asked them both, nudging them happily, before bounding away, making sure my hooves pounded into the earth in my playful rhythm, just like Rasta's did - only more repetitive and potentially more disastrous. I laugh again, enjoying the freedom that was being a youngster safely and ignorantly tucked within the walls of my home.

Image Credits
[Image: 573ea2c04723f]
please tag Zenobia in all replies!
magic & force is permitted, excluding death or permanent injury.