the Rift

The forgotten and shivering (CLOSED)

Penguin Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
She had no time to just lurk around. The snow and the wind where creeping up on her and in the bitterness that only winter could bring, Pen found her legs aching. She was young, much too young for such pain in her joins, yet they where there. Swinging her black mane over her shoulder she tossed it out of her pink eyes. In the dark afternoon the mare found herself being herded down a tree-line by the landscape and she was unsure as to where it would lead her. All she knew was she must find shelter soon, or she would simply freeze to death. Already her legs where starting to go numb and she did her best to keep them moving.

“DARN YOU!” She cried out into the heavens as she stumbled and feel to her knees. Slowly she would get up. Her body shivered as she stepped forward again, making it a few more feet before stumbling once more. She could hardly feel her front legs they where becoming so numb. Is this the end of me? Shall I die here and see my family once more by the end of this day? Her thoughts questioned in her mind as she forced herself up again. She wasn’t ready to die, her sheer will wouldn’t allow it to be done. Breathing slowly she blew her breath against her legs in an attempt to warm them as she started to move forward again. Head low, and eyes half closed she headed into the bone chilling wind. It felt like needles against her skin.

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

What brings happiness like light in the infinite darkness? The moon had come back. Kahlua didn't know when, or how, but even the cold couldn't keep her from smiling. The moon gave her hope that not all was lost. For the last few weeks depression had been settling deep into her bones and she had feared that she would die. The lack of food and the lack of light affected her, mentally and physically. Still, the ribs poking through her skin and the biting of the wind could not keep her down. She had even taken care to clean her coat, something she had not bothered to do for a week or longer now- a record for a horse as vain as dear Kahlua.

For now, her wandering took her through the Threshold. Her many trips here really were selfish- she wanted recognition in her herd and she only knew so many ways to do that. She wasn't smart, she couldn't fight, so she chose to try and grow the herd. As each step took her through snow and cold, she shivered; however, her coat was thick after months of living in Helovia and she barely felt it any more. Suddenly, she heard a voice in the wind. “DARN YOU! Kahlua's ears swiveled to the sound and she couldn't help but turn herself that way. Her steps were slow through the heavy snow, but eventually she came upon a mare.

A smile lit her face, welcoming the painted mare that she had come across. Her and the other were almost twins, except that Kahlua noticed two differences. The other mare's long, sterling horn and her pretty pink eyes. “Are you OK, my friend?” Her voice was soft and lilting. The happiness she felt at the return of the moon was invading every portion of her being. Her body was tall, neck arched, mane and coat well kept again. “You'll have to forgive the cold and the dark, but at least the moon is back...” She couldn't help but talking about it. It was hard to ignore what she was feeling.
Can you feel it? Can you feel the hope, can you feel the world coming back to life? Its just a little bit here and there, just a few flowers and the lamp trees are brighter, but how can you not be happy? I mean, I guess you don't know. I guess you're new here so you wouldn't know. But still, I could jump for joy. You don't know the joy of the moon until you know the horror of the infinite blackness.
.KAHLUA

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Unregistered
Dying here in this way was so not okay with the black and white mare. For a while now her life has been nothing but chaos. From the lost of her family, to this bad weather. The fact that the moon was out didn’t even faze her. After all it was just the moon, and in this weather she couldn’t see anything but white. Yet she could hear and as she fell to her knees one more time she let out a sigh. It was almost as if she had given up, as that was the tone within the sigh. Yet at the sound of someone’s voice she looked up and saw someone. Mother? She thought as the mare looks a bit like her mother, but then again she looked a bit like her father, and herself as well. This mare wasn’t her mother though.

Slowly she got up again, but this time she fall back down. ”I…I don’t know.” She said softly to the other mare. She was a brave creature, but she was scared and just so cold. ”It was gone?” She then asked as she tried again to get up and stay up. It was hard as all she wanted to do was fall back to her knees and then stay down, but she wanted to live at the same time. ”I am Penguin by the way.” She told the other mare, as she said it she hoped this mare wouldn’t make a crack about how didn’t Penguins like the cold or what not. Then again she wasn’t completely sure what a Penguin was to be honest.

”Where am I? Where are we?” She then said in a bit of a whisper as she thought to herself, but also spoke the question out loud. Perhaps this stranger could help her out by telling her.

The mare before her, despite her beauty, looked weak. Her knee on the floor, her slow rise... everything about the mare screamed giving up. Kahlua could not know if this mare had experienced the infinite blackness the way that Kahlua herself had, but she guessed that the mare probably had. Regardless, Kahlua did not think too much into the matter. She wasn't smart enough to analyze things of such magnitude and even if she could have she didn't really want to. Thinking was stressful to her and she didn't really want to. So instead, she let the mare rise from the snow.

But, as the mare fell again, Kahlua couldn't help but feel a twinge of compassion. She hadn't come here with any intentions other than to gather a new herd member and bring her home; however, watching this other mare struggle pulled at her heart. Perhaps it was because of the moon coming out, perhaps it was because she was remembering the time she had spent with Onni and how scared she had been... Either way, she stepped forward and tried to nudge at the mare's shoulder as she spoke.

“It was gone?” The words made Kahlua look back up to the moon for a moment and sigh, remembering the darkness. As the mare heaved herself up, Kahlua quickly tried to spin around so she was facing the same way as the mare and provide her a shoulder to lean against, should she want it. Penguin. Kahlua repeated the name to herself a few times before she finally began to speak. “Lean against me if you want, I'm not too strong but I can try and help.” The words were foreign on her tongue, helping was not necessarily her nature, but she couldn't leave this mare to fall again. “The moon was gone... I don't know why. Smarter souls might...” She trailed off slowly. “I'm Kahlua, of the World's Edge, by the way. We have a fire there. It burns forever. We could warm you, if you'd like...”
Who am I to want to help someone else? Well... this is a strange feeling, isn't it? How am I supposed to feel about this? I mean... I don't want her to die. But do I care if she lives, really? I suppose I do, since I'm here trying to help here.... but where did this come from?
.KAHLUA

Unregistered
Rather or not this mare was really as kind as she was acting mattered not to Pen. As she shivered she shook her head tossing snow that stuck to her twisted horn. Pink eyes lingered upwards as she looked at the sky for a moment, but after a few seconds she simply didn’t bother. If it had been gone, she didn’t pay any mind to that, it just seemed like darkness was all that there was ever going to be for her. Darkness and ice. Stuttering lips tried to speak before she calmed herself and her chattering teeth. ”Thank you Kahlua, my legs, they are just so numb.” She told the other mare. It was the weather and the harshness of it.

She herself had came here to find shelter, if that meant joining a herd, well all the better. As Kahlua spoke of the land she is from and how there was fire there she nodded her head to the worlds. ”I would like that very much.” She said in an honest voice. Her body was slightly leaning against Kahlua, but only barely and only her shoulder. ”This fire, it burns forever?” She then questioned trying to get her mind off of the cold. Fire that burns forever, even in such weather interested her quiet a bit. It was as interesting as the mare who was helping her. This act of kindness wouldn’t simply just happen to Pen and her not give anything back in return. She knows that Kah helping her could very well, be saving her life and for that she would give the mare her loyalty, but she wouldn’t be creepy about it either.

The gentle conversation between the two was refreshing. It was nice to be part of an easy conversation, one that didn't have implications for the future or threats of violence or monsters. As the mare said her legs were numb, Kahlua turned to nudge her neck, encouraging her to walk while the talked. Kahlua didn't know the science behind it, but she knew that moving made her warmer than standing. She took a step forward, hoping her new-found companion would take the hint and move as well. She went slow, though, so as not to have the mare tumble forward on her again.

“Yes, the fire burns forever, a gift from our leader Mirage, the Dragon Heart.” She still had not met the Dragon Heart, but Kahlua was grateful for the gifts she provided to her herd. “I have not met her yet, but I hear that she is kind.” Taking a moment to think, Kahlua suddenly realized that she had ignored her twin's previous question. “This is Helovia, by the way. We are in the Threshold now.” She paused a moment to look at all the snow around her. “Where did you come from?” Thinking that the mare looked like her twin had gotten Kahlua to thinking about her own past and her true birth twin.
Fuhrer, my twin. I still miss you. I won't pretend to want to befriend you. But I do wish you were here. The fire that burned our lands down, the disaster that separated us from one another. I don't know what happened, I don't know how we got separated, but I still do miss you from time to time. I don't miss your nagging, though... But hey, I can pick the stuff I want to remember and forget. That's my perogative.
.KAHLUA

Unregistered
Being around someone felt nice. For a long while it had just been herself and she missed the sound of another’s voice. Talking with another after so many months of not seeing another had almost made her go mad, but she had promised herself she wouldn’t allow such a thing to happen. She did start talking to herself, and even to birds, but that was just to help keep her head on straight. Now that she has found someone else to talk to she knew that she wouldn’t lose her mind. As Kahlua nudged her back, Pen took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Her legs moved again a little faster then the baby steps she had taken before. Yet she was still slow, she matched the pace of the mare that could have been her twin if she was a normal equine.

However, even though they where different the unicorn still believed them the same. After all they both had four hooves did they not. ”That sounds amazing. This Dragon Heart must be very powerful to make fire like that.” Pen said softly. She was honestly amazed. Being able to make fire in general was amazing and something she had never heard one. Her life must have been more sheltered then she had thought. Looking away from Kahlua know she looked at the world around them as she was told the name of the land. ”That is quiet the interesting name.” She said and then went quiet for a moment as she thought about her home, and the question that was asked.

”I come from a place known now as the Crimson Lake. It was once a lovely valley, small, but still my home, but now there is nothing left of it. After the flood, all was lost and the valley is now a lake.” She was choking up a bit as she talked about it, but took a deep breath and pushed tears away. Dear family please rest in peace. She thought to herself as she kept on walking.