the Rift

You Make Me Want to Be Brave [OOC Spar - Rasta]

Florabella Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
It was the height which made her tall - even for the mare’s age - due to her own lineage which could not be changed the moment she was conceived. It wasn’t the sole height which she meekly hoped it would her against any chance of surviving, but was her body even built for it? A coat of two colors with its own pattern which made it known as her. An ever aging body which was finding its strongest pinpoint to develop the bones. She was clumsy and hardly done much for herself. A few runs done her justice, but never before had she ever lashed out at another. No, the thought made the signals towards her brain to throb. Throb it did, but she couldn’t literally shake off the discomfort. Fighting was too bizarre. Too frightening. Surprisingly enough, it wasn’t what caused her to gawk the most.

She paced as her body heated up against the temperature as instructed over and over again in her foreign of a mind. Move. Move. Move. Her body was stiff and eyes glanced everywhere for any sign of another. None had approached yet and her lungs allowed her to exhale a frosty breath of relief. She tilted her head upwards towards the sunless sky and the only view provided was the moonlight caressing a small portion of the terrain. The trees made it impossible to follow it clearly. Her sight set itself on another ground and she took a steady canter away from her original position.

The unknown. She did not possess anything out of the ordinary to know what was expected by other species. A second sense wasn’t in her grasp either. It was what made some anxiety spread through the mare. It was possibly a very easy way to injure another and have them dislike her. It was hard to imagine any body part to be stained with blood. It was hard to imagine at all, but she assumed it was an instinctual type of behavior impeded within her. With a sigh, she came to a halt and inspected the spot where the terrain had an open sky. The light was easier to look through, but she blinked, trying to adjust to the sight.

"Anyone want to... teach me how to spar?" Another sigh escaped her. Florabella spun around nervously. She never had fought before, but she lamely hoped it wouldn’t be lethal. She restlessly moved around before she waited for her opponent to arrive.

Words: 404
Setting: It's dark out with the stars and moon to provide some light, but in time it will lighten up again. It will transition into dawn soon. A cold breeze is picking up. The forest is nearby with its pack of trees rooted into the dirt, but it's not a fairly open area. Not entirely.
Type: OOC / Training Spar
Magic|Companion: 0/0
Rounds: 3 rounds & closing defense
Comments: Sorry for the lame intro and future spar posts ;; Am I doing this right?

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
give me your eyes for just one second,
give me your eyes so i can see
everything that i keep missing

Rasta shuffled her feet in place. She had a strange feeling. She needed to get out. She needed to fight! It had been too long since she had felt her hooves up against another's flesh. After all, it had been a necessity that she understood the art of war when she had to lead a herd in her old home. So, she began to allow her hooves to glide across the terrain, careful to listen to each little vibration that might signal another equine or perhaps something she was so ever close to pounding into.

Carefully, her frame bulked up, weaving through the trees as she perked her ears up for the sound of another equine. That was when the trees began to disperse - leading to a more open area of the forest. She could only assume that the moon was shining down upon the land, offering sight to the one who was granted with such an ability. The thought of the moon, and the stars, though sent her a pang of guilt. She had left Taj. She had left her foal. But she would have to shake those memories off of her back. She would have to concentrate on her safety at this moment. That was all that she could control. So that was all she would worry about.

And then, someone was asking to be taught to spar. A snort escaped Rasta's maw. Someone was seriously standing in this clearing asking to be taught to fight. That was like asking to be eaten. If anyone who had a sick mind decided to take this mare up upon that offer she would most likely not be walking anymore. Rasta placed her feet squarely upon the ground, taking in a short breath as she fully took in the vibrations of the land around her. It didn't take her more than 2 seconds, but she knew off of the way this horse was speaking that it wouldn't be willing to make the first move. The mare couldn't stand still, her frame shuffling back and forth in place as she stopped twirling around in an attempt to see where her predator might be coming from. Carefully, she pulled her frame from the presumably shadowed area of the trees and gave a light cough. "I will. But it is not wise to request help from unknown sources. Others take this as a way to gather fresh meat..." she explained, standing a little bit taller, blind eyes locked (as much as they could) upon her frame.

No more words would escape Rasta's mouth as she rocked back on her haunches before pushing off into a barreling charge. Muscles were rippling as the stamina of the Arabian breed held true, allow swifter movements and minute changes in tempo to not tire her out more. Her head ducked to the side ever so slightly so that her cranium did not get smashed into the chest of the mare. After all, she didn't have to feel the sickening crunch of her bones as they were pushed into each other and extended back into place. Her right shoulder was aiming to the left of the mare, more specifically for the mare's right foreleg, in an attempt to knock her off balance and perhaps push her closer to the trees around them.

Four strides away. Avoid the branches, legs stretching out just enough to land right past the root she would have stepped upon. Three strides. A sickening crunch as a few twigs snap under her weight. Two strides. Her hooves were digging in just enough to constantly search for the vibrations the mare was putting off, prepared to alter her course with the slightest movement in order to continue to track the mare before her.

One stride. Again, she bunched up onto her haunches, feeling her muscles ripple just a little bit as she allowed her entire body to catapult forward, going full force toward the mare as long as she did not move from her path, head still ducked to the side protectively. She needs to be knocked down to realize there is no give or take. But I will not grace her with warning. She will have to make her instincts kick in if she wants to learn to fight... Rasta thought to herself, a sigh upon her lips.

730 words
[1/3]
@[Florabella]
Image Credits

OOC Help
So... I'm going to regurgitate some stuff that Neo has told me since I don't have too much to help with yet. I'll try and break a few things down once you've actually attacked, etc. Anyways. If something doesn't make sense don't be afraid to ask and I'll try to explain or I'll get the answer from someone else. -only had one other spar before like a baws and it was also OOC-

Writing Style
Stick to one style of writing (incase you, for some reason, feel like experimenting with POVs) and make sure to check each post before you submit it. Check for details and spelling errors. Ensure that you responded to everything the post gave you to work with. Also, make sure it's coherent and flows. That flowing portion may be difficult to work in. But... remember. This is creative writing, so the attacks shouldn't sound like a list...
Like. "She did this. And then she did this. She felt a blow to her shoulder. So she did this." While that is the good base of it all, you need some emotion flooding through there. Just a heads up for when you start responding.

General Attack/Defense Things
The easiest thing to do, so you don't fall into some kind of power play would be to defend from the attack I just gave you and attack. And then fall into this attack/defend rhythm. I cannot say "she charged directly into the mare, knocking her to the ground before bolting off a few strides," because I don't know if I actually knocked you over. Perhaps your mare jumped off to the side and just barely got nicked by Rasta's shoulder and then she kicked out at Rasta knocking her off balance so the running off would be void. Leave things open enough to not make someone forced into a certain position because you continued on. But leave them closed enough that the person has to respond to your attack somehow and can't just go "I saw her start to turn and backed up a few spaces so I wasn't hit" Of course, that can happen realistically maybe once... depending upon exactly what is happening, but be careful of what's going on around you, where you are in relation to the horse, and just what is behind them/around them.

You also need to keep things realistic. If they get injured you have to take that into account the rest of the battle. Emotion/pain felt should be addressed and taken into account for the rest of your posts. If it's easier on you - make a sticky note and keep it beside your computer so you know where they are injured/what it's effecting so you can keep that in mind.

All That Extra Detail
So, keep in mind the breed difference and the height difference. Yours is an Oldenburg who is 2.1hh taller than Rasta. This makes it a little more difficult to maneuver in a tight space, so be careful about where you are starting to push your horse to. Rasta is currently attempting to knock the larger mare off balance as the center of gravity is different and is attacking her legs (much like a wolf going for the hind legs...). She is also trying to push the large mare closer to the trees so that it is more difficult for her to move around in. Rasta is fine with weaving between trees (though of course her blindness will be taken into account) and she is also quite accustomed to feeling the tiny movements and twists of hooves and shifts of weight to get an idea of where they are going to attempt to move. But, in the process of her concentrating completely upon Flora and being in an unknown terrain (unlike her original land where she had lived there for thousands of years and knew it by heart) she is likely to trip over some rocks or a root or something.

Do not forget the terrain! It doesn't matter how well the horse seems to fight if they start off in a partially cluttered space and it ends up turning into a completely open grass lands with no holes or anything to get in their way.

Unregistered
The pacing of the mare continued after her declaration for a spar. The setting made it much more difficult to pay attention, directly, towards any sudden sights with her heavy reliance on seeing anything up close. Her eyes rotated more than her head where there were times her eyes darted and the whites of her circular tools for vision shown. She questioned if it was the wisest choice on her part, but it was too late now. She was pathetically desperate to remove the cowardice lurking in her and determining her actions. A part of her, lodged deep into her veins, sought a chance to fight as her ancestors and former herd had done.

The shadows kept a particular one melded, as noted, when one of her species had approached with words to be heeded. A guilty look passed through her eyes. Florabella’s eyes locked upon the newcomer, noting the differences, but gazing in awe at the beauty of the other mare. However, her instincts were literally shouting at her. Move! The moment was long and unnecessary as the mare charged fluidly, yet swiftly. The pinto’s ears flicked forward and towards the sound of branches, turning her head side-to-side to locate the origin of the sound. A surge of panic rose in her gut as her haunches bunched and she belatedly charged away- anywhere - to escape the pounding of hooves gradually growing louder and louder with a possibility it was directed towards her. The taller height made it much harder to maneuver as her body rotated to the left from where her nose poked the air with a quick snort before the move.

She struggled with the wave of emotions and the heavy breathing echoing her uncertainty in a fight. She thought she was in a safe zone, but the way she found herself struggling to regain her footing after a blow near her foreleg sent her sideways and towards the ground with a sloppy squirm to get back to her feet. It wasn’t a steady position, once she recovered, but her swaying neck had her head close in contact with other objects surrounding her. The blow was enough create the ache she began to feel once her brain acknowledged the blow. The spar made her think on the timing, but her lack of knowledge on the subject caused an automatic assumption: quick counterattack.

Nostrils flaring and ears pinned back with a slight twitch, she lifted a fetlock and the rest of her legs followed as she attempted to lash out in a hasty offense. She gritted her teeth as the pain flared and throbbed momentarily.

Words: 437
Tag(s): @[Rasta]
Attacks: [1/3]

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
give me your eyes for just one second,
give me your eyes so i can see
everything that i keep missing

Was this mare seriously standing in awe Rasta's figure? What? Just because a mare had answered her call to learn how to fight did not mean she was about to go easy on the lingering one before her! It seemed to take her a minute to realize that Rasta was actually charging directly at her before her huge frame started to move, rocking back onto her haunches in a pace of uncertainty. She started to move off, but it was clear in the flexing of her muscles that she did not seem to have much of a destination in mind. And then, once the mare realized where it was Rasta was aiming she started to rotate her form to her left. Good, there were some sense in her mind that could work.

Delicately, Rasta twisted her hoof just enough to push her off more to her right, moving the same distance the mare had moved to her left. The blow to her forelock had sent her stumbling a few feet to the side as Rasta took in a huge breath of air, shuffling to the side a little and shaking out her head. The mare was on the ground and then back on her feet in the few instants it took Rasta to completely regain her foot, feeling as the taller mare heaved her way back onto her feet.

If the mare has any logic she will produce a counter-attack while the pain is not at it's worst. And, she did have logic. A smirk crossed Rasta's maw as she started to inch backward, attempting to feel her surroundings and the brush underfoot as she felt the mare begin to raise her hoof. Where was this mare aiming? Shuffling back a few more steps she managed to avoid the hooves contact with her side and chest, but Rasta's hoof did catch against a branch and it almost sent her to the ground.

Within seconds she had recovered her balance and her position in the world and was already spinning on her forehand toward her left. She ignored the ache in her shoulder from the impact earlier, though she could tell that her spin was not as tight as before. Then, once her haunches were lined up with the mare and the trees surrounding them she rocked onto her forehand and sent out a whip-like kick toward the mare's chest, attempting to push her back into the tree and give her a few more scraps and bruises. She needed to learn to attack and get out of this area she seemed to be pinned in.

But, of course, Rasta needed to make sure she could keep her footing while all of her concentration was upon the movement that the mare was sending to her in the vibrations of the land.

469 words
[2/3]
@[Florabella]
Image Credits

attacks
Okay. So. The one thing I noticed was you responded well to my attack in how the horse seemed to move, where she seemed to go, but I think that's because I helped guide you as to what I was aiming for her to do and react like. She could have stepped out of the way at the last minute and actually put Rasta in this trap surrounded by the trees, but instead she took the hit and fell into the area.
And then, when you did your counter attack, you didn't specify which legs were raised up and where they were aiming etc. Fetlocks are on all four legs, so that doesn't narrow it down to front or back, and it says she raised her 'legs' so did she jump in the air? Because I didn't know it was a little hard to respond. I wrote it as if she had kicked out with her front legs, almost as if to chip at her shoulder/side as that's what would have been the closest to the mare at the time with Rasta starting to back up. I did give you a little lead-way, as I had Rasta trip on the branches on the ground and be hindered by her shoulder ramming into the mare. But you are still stuck in a pretty vulnerable position, locked up against a trio of trees that are kinda forming a slightly larger semi-circle.

Make sure when you write out your attacks you give some kind of direction as to what you mare expects to happen from it. Do they want blood to be drawn? Do they want to stun the opponent? Or do they simply want to break some bones and make someone die? Where exactly are they attacking, the left side of the horse or the right side of the horse? Remember that the horse is facing the opposite direction so their left is your right and their right is your left. Where are they moving? How far are they stepping off to the side?

All of these are important parts of the spar in general.

Unregistered
The edge of her rump did not make any contact with what she hoped would relieve her from the quick pacing of her heart. Every thud from the muscle and the throbbing pain rang throughout her large body as the trees closed in on her surroundings. The poor lighting did not help either as she attempted to make sense of the view, but also where an opening could be. Her eyes squinted as she continued to wrack from the deep breathes she gulped in from the attack as well as the aftermath due to it. It took only a minute to hastily recover her senses, sloppily, but it was there.

Her ears were not the best at sensing much, but it flicked forward to the rustling of nature. Her head dipped down to see if it was possible to get ensnared by the roots before her neck aided her head back up and higher than her shoulders. She was close to moving forward to find an opening, but no doubt, more pounding on the planet’s floor caused her to think thoroughly. She shuffled through the trapped area she got herself into, but it became very obvious she might not be able to make it out without some consequences.

Florabella tried to peer for an opening, but the only vision she managed to see struck her immediately across the chest with the hooves’ edge scraping her skin. The impact left more throbbing pain and a bruise on the brown fur of her bi-colored body while both her upper and lower teeth bit down where it met the middle. Warm air sprouted from her nostrils as she bit back the sound effects the pain put her in. Think. She needed to think! It was hard on her to balance the pain and instinct rattling in her brain and the pain wanted to take over. The blow sent her backwards towards the back where one tree trunk was rooted.

The mare took caution as she moved to the left to see if there was an opening. The walking gait was slow and it took her more energy than intended to glance everywhere while trapped and uncertain near the trees. Her eyes peeled off any possible shadows which shrouded the other mare, and she worried over that choice. Instead, she swerved to the right side and tried to bump with her muzzle towards an assumption on where she could find the other without intending damage just yet.

Her nose touched only the air, but she intended on getting out alive. Her instincts flared to move and run from the trap. She wasn’t quite sure on what she had planned to do, but she glanced where she assumed the highlights of the other equine’s form was. Her head lowered and neck curved downwards and to the side. She charged towards the other mare towards the side of their body with hope to bump them out of the way so she could be in an open area.

Word Count: 495
Tag(s): @[Rasta]
Attacks: [2/3] (Edited this in if that's alright!)

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
21 days have passed. Rasta defaults to Florabella.
No VP is awarded