the Rift

Discover the unknown [Ink]

Olema Surema Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[please no NPC.]

We leave the cryptic boy in that first forest. There is much still to know, but we have learned this much, we have come upon another great empire. There is an excitement in our steps that hums up into our wings so that they twitch and flex anxiously. We giggle softly to ourselves and this new adventure, gayly frolicking through these unknown and as often as not, perilous lands.

For a while at least, we show our age.

I run my chin down the rump of my sister and she squeals under the tag. Her hind end lifts in a bunny hop as she tosses her head, wispy mane trailing like water after her body. I grin, so wide it crinkles my eyes, and spin away in such a tight fashion my hocks brush the grass under hoof. It crunches like autumn leaves, dead and tasteless as all the other plants in this heat. Some part of me marvels at our games in this weather. Sometimes you just can't help the energy spinning through your legs - it eats your mind if you don't spend it, steals your dreams and sharpens your tongue. We have been tired and restless in a bad way for too long, so we play.

My tail whips in the wind of my sprint, wings eagerly unfurling from my backside. Though I've no intention to use them, they sometimes hope that I will and spread just in case. Stream water splashes up my legs, darkening my fetlocks and knees and dappling my belly. I giggle with delight, heels twisting up and kicking out with shimmering water skipping around them. Behind me my nightingale sounds her protest, which only makes me laugh more. She barges in after me and the water springs up like an abrupt rain across my flanks. Out of instinct I tuck my rump and kick forward with a greater drive from my haunches. It's good I do, as I just narrowly miss the swiping muzzle of Surema. Only her whiskers brush my tail and then I'm gone.

Behind me I still hear her flailing around in the stream. Her attempt must have put her a bit off balance and she struggles to regain herself. Smiling quietly I keep bolting forward, knowing my sister will keep pace the moment she gets her hooves back. I dash through browning foliage and sparse trees, breaking through thorny bushes which leave some red lines on my thin, pale coat. I mind them not.

On the other side however, there is something I should mind, or rather, someone. Too late do I notice him, my blue eyes widening to white rims in those precious second it takes my mind to evaluate the scene. My neck stiffens and my head lofts high, trying to stay clear of the eminent collision and likely, following pain.

I slam into the side of a dark colt.

Our bodies leave a wet smacking sound, like lips loudly pulling apart after taking a long and refreshing drought. I barrel into his legs, knocking him off those stilts and throwing him over and partially atop me. I skid onto my right shoulder, kicking up dust and dead grass as I slid quickly to a halt. Behind me I already hear the thrum of my Nightingale's stride.

Surema breaks through the clearing like an angry hen who's chasing a fox. She heard the impact, and likely just the absence of my fluttering tail for so long had put her on edge. She is rigid as she stops, startled by the tangled heap of the stranger and I. I'm still mildly dazed, and certainly confused, but she is immediately cross. Her sky blue gaze narrows into slits of ice. All laughter is gone from her face now, replaced with a deep frown.
"Have either of you seen someone like me pass by?"

I'm shaking my head now and starting to roll apart from the stranger. He looks none too happy, but so far hasn't said anything, which I take as a good sign of forgiveness. At my sibling's words my gaze flicks up, uncertainty in them. She sounds annoyed, but surely she is making a joke? I begin to slide onto my forehand, proffering a light, airy laugh in response to my nightingale. I move to speak, to say "Have you forgotten the game sister? You're supposed to tag me not uncover me from hiding." yet the words do not come. It's as if water trying to press around a dam, it can only eek out the sides and such does my attempted talk whuffle like dead air through my throat. My eyes gape wide, confusion creasing my features with greater depth. Did I knock into the boy harder than I first thought?

Well, whatever the game, perhaps I'm done playing now and should take a rest. I get the rest of myself up and amble casually to Surema, placing my muzzle out to rest on her withers like a small child asking to be picked up when their feet are too sore.

She recoils from me instantly, a nip reaching out to brandish my nose, smarting it considerably. I try to squeal, surprised, though even that is dead air. I stumble back, falling onto my rump in an awkward sitting position.

For the first time I get a glance at my legs as they hold me up, stretched out in front. They're black. Mud, dirt?

I've no idea that I now appear the same as the black colt. More than that though, I am the same as him.

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu

I'm drinking.

It might have been nice if it was something a bit, heavier than water, but water will do. Likely it's the best at easing my troubles anyway, though I could say the same for any drinking cause, save perhaps courage. Water is sorely lacking in the courage providing aspect.

It does strengthen me however. That's why I'm lingering here like a dark ghost. I have half a mind to just lay down in the stream beyond the bushes and sleep there. I know that wouldn't do though. My ink would start to bleed out into the water and my skin would shrivel up something awful. no no I'm happy enough to sip. Although, frankly, I do much more than sip. I slurp the water up like a dehydrated camel, but luckily none are around to witness such atrociousness.

It is with this type of mindset, satisfied and gorged on water, that I meander around this Thistle not far from the bank. I'll call this place home until the heat breaks, or until I melt, either way. I try my hoof at grazing a bit when someone comes careening into me like a panicked bird. I'm dazed as I fall, completely overhauled at my feet. And I do hear the rustle of feathers and cannot help but wonder what ludicrous bird actually ran me over.

Before I can even situate up from down another set of hooves has come with a sharp voice. Though I'm still shaking the stars from my eyes, my ears are always attentive to speech and catch the rather obvious annoyance on the filly's lips. I nearly bristle with my own, outwardly blaming her for this entire thing just because she's there and I can.

I manage to right myself to a stand just in time to see...me. I gawk, literally gawk, slackjawed and wide-eyed as my reflection, my shadow, my body (am I a ghost, a spirit now?) walks towards the hot filly and reaches out to touch. Her teeth flash and bodies separate like a ripple in a stream. Now why would I do that? Why would I touch this rude stranger? Perplexed I watch in dumbfounded confusion as the second me proceeds to spiral into a panic-attack.

She seems at a loss to her lack of voice. My ears twitch, recalling now not just the tone of the other's words, but the meaning. Have either of you seen someone like me pass by?

I glance at my side where I'm still sitting in dismay and horror. I glance back at the pale filly who has grow increasingly exasperated by myself and I - I don't rightly blame her, here I am sitting calmly but uselessly, and there I am again sitting hysterically, but still uselessly - and she's begun to leave. My brain begins to connect everything.

Where is that damn bird that struck me anyway?

Thief! my mind screams, its own voice a pale whisper of a shout. That me stole me! And before that stole this filly! I'm blindsided by the realization and I stagger for a moment, overwhelmed by the notion of all this. The girl is leaving though and I suddenly delve into a panic attack myself. I don't want to be left here with an insane, thieving me! My eyes widen and my head thrusts up as I jerk forward and cut off the pale girl, stomping my feet on the ground as if I expect her to know some sort of Morse code even I don't know.

My throat is slack. My tongue, it swirls around my cheeks and against the back of my wet teeth. For once, I recall, I am not dreadfully thirsty.

Over ecstatic I whip my tail around with unnecessary fervor and begin to illustrate myself grazing and the filly, the thief dressed as the filly anyway, I presume, crashing into me and -gasp! - turning into me too!

I glance knowingly up at the girl as my hectic design splatter back to the ground. Thirsty I may not have been but am now, my magic pulling all the fluid from me. She must understand I've not the strength left to tell her more. More importantly she must help! Surely she knows more about this if she was already chasing the thief. All I want is to go back to drinking.

I N K

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Unregistered

I am brazened by the audacity of the awful black thing to come and touch me. Scornfully I snap my teeth at its plush nose, not amused by its air-talk or its foolish gangliness. The other, another set of identical twins I note with mild surprise, though my growing anger and despair at the loss of my angel don't let me linger on this long - he is sitting dumbly too. I realize quickly that I'm wasting my time. The longer I spend the further she runs. Why has she run so far away? I worry she's in danger and my anxiety floods my feet into motion.

Before I've gone more than a few strides one of the black colts is upon me. His eyes are wild and his hooves dancing with an unspoken urgency. Annoyance tilts my ears back. Between the poet in the Threshold and this mime, I can't help but wonder if everyone in this place has some sort of speech impediment. "Spit it out or get out of my way," I growl, wings raising in a threatening manner. He does more than spit. His tail whips around with a wet smack I cannot help but wonder at. Before I can do more than sit back on my haunches he's begun to paint, literally paint, me a story. It's hard to follow at first, everything's black and a bit splotchy. And it's fast, he's very animated. Would not telling me be easier?

He cannot I realize. I would have been more awed were I less furious.

His tale I absorb readily then, and soon enough I've discovered it. My face must have changed because he seems to visible relax, smiling even, in a dopey way. I wonder why he needed so badly to tell me? I am grateful he did however.

Together we turn back, and I stand near the black colt lying on its side in the dirt, nearly unmoving. Its gray eyes are glazed over and I fear her, him, it? dead, save for the steady rise and fall of the ribcage. "Olema," I murmur, my voice tight as it speaks the name. It pains me - I am still confused as to what has happened. Sadness threatens to brim from my eyes as her heads lifts and turns. Her expression brightens immediately, eyes clearing to a rainy day. I sob despite myself, kneeling down so that we embrace by neck and touch and breath. "Oh Olema, what has he done to you?"

Hidden Account
Blu

She understands.

I could jump for joy, she understands! I smile awkwardly, finding a strange bond with this angry, lovely filly as we turn together. I make sure not to touch her, though our shoulders could have easily brushed. I'd rather not get nipped like the other me did.

She strides towards the thief that looks nearly dead, and I linger back. I am no server of justice, I am just thirsty again, my story took all the moisture out of me. Rather than blissful retribution however, the girl drops to he knees and starts to sob as she whispers things to the other me. I gawk, completely thrown by this turn of events. Why is she sorry for the thief? The thief isn't even dead, why he's rising to hug her back! I'm so confused.

So thirsty.

I N K

Unregistered

She understands.

I could jump for joy, she understands! I smile dreamily up at my nightingale as she drifts towards me, her features ghastly. I'm sure I look an odd thing, but I wish she would not despair so. To soothe her I reach up and hold her with my long, foreign neck. She weeps into my chest as her own head curls against me. There there, everything will be alright so long as we have each other. Such is what I wish to say, but I can only hold, I can only exhale warmth into her body which has run cold with fear and confusion.

What has he done to me? She asks and I can give no answer, because I have none even if I had a way to give it. I glance away, hoping she does not see how morose I am by all of this. I'm just glad she is back and that she knows me, let me relish in that brief happiness while I can.

Surema is of course, not satisfied with only that. "He stole your voice too?" I'm perplexed by this question she poses me and glance thusly at her troubled gaze. Can he not speak either? How curious, I think, but it's little more than that, for now.

Surema trembles. I snap my attention back to her, eyes widening as I feel her heartbeat against mine. Uh oh.

Rage drives my nightingale to stand. In a flurry of white she is upon the black colt. I try to call out to her, to plead sense with her, but I am silenced and my legs, a different length than my normal ones, wobble uncertainly beneath me. Too late I see her lunge, her teeth snapping for his nape. She will kill him I fear, although at this point I don't much care. I just hope he doesn't have the answer to my problem and die with it.

Hidden Account
Blu

I overhear their soft chatter. Well, her soft chatter, the other me is just as quiet. It's curious, I wonder how her thieving magic works. Why does she do it? Why is the other girl not angry any more?

So many questions, I sigh.

One comment catches my attention once more though. He stole your voice too? My head shoots up, eyes catching the burning ones of the girl - angry again it seems! I cannot help but wonder at her insane rationale. If I steal voices would I not be able to speak then? Or does she think I am a villanious speak-thief intent to make the whole world mute? Not a bad idea I must admit...

WHAM.

Her teeth snap against my nape. I stagger and am shoved down by her force, my nose grating against the dirt. I struggle the breathe, my nose folded up, dust swirling as I exhale and threatening to choke me when I inhale. She moved so fast, I didn't even see. Pain pricks tears in the corners of my eyes. This is not my first beating though. I will stand strong, as I always have. It's harder this time though, I feel so weak, so thirsty. I detest this weather and what it does to me.

She is off me as quickly as she came upon me. Her eyes hold me in a new light, one might I add, that is lacking in anger. I might have felt happier for this, if not for my lungs starving and my neck smarting now. I scowl and move away stiffly from her, but am cautious at turning my back. These are a tricky pair and I will not be bested.

I N K

Unregistered

I freeze.

The moment our skin touched everything changed. I am bombarded by strange images. No, no, not images I realize, memories. I gasp, releasing him and stepping back. I feel blind and my feet stumble for a moment as the back of my eyes flash with all of his recollections. They overwhelm me.

My sister is there, her shoulder a support on my as she guides me to strength. I am too absorbed by this one though, this Ink. He has lived a sad, lonely life I realize. He is mute, as I thought, and magical with his inky tail as I saw. He suffers in this heat, that too I see, it pulls his magic from him.

The memories subside into a dull ache in the back of my head, stored or something I don't truly know, but my eyes can refocus on the world at hoof. I blink - the light seems unnaturally bright and Ink fully dark. He is scowling but I've no time to worry over his feelings now. I turn, eyes seizing my sister who is Ink. "Sister, I think I understand." In Ink's memories I also saw better what happened than his story told. My sibling ran into him, from then on she became him. My touch, took his memories? No, I think, glancing over at him. He's acting normal, not empty. I copied them, didn't I? Same as Olema copied his form.

I understand now.

"Can you paint?" I ask, curious to see the extent of this, my panic subsided. I sense we are awakening.

She shakes her head, confused or unable, perhaps both. I glance back at Ink. He's standing like a frightened caged animal, his back shouldered against a lone tree. I snort, annoyed at this kink in my understanding. Perhaps my sister is thirsty, like he is? "Come, let's get you to the stream."

Hidden Account
Blu

I'm not sure what has happened, but something in the angry filly has changed. She moves to her sibling and asks her to paint. I narrow my gaze, furious at this imposter and that she has not been brought to justice! This is all so wrong! I understand finally though, that my original thoughts were wrong.

The other me had not stolen the filly's appearance. Sister, the one had said. Twins, I recognize. They'd been running from each other, yet they hold each other tenderly. This still confuses me but is less important. Now they seem to be trying to revert her back. If she stole me can she unsteal me? I don't feel changed... but it bothers me to have another me running around, especially one that can't paint.

"...to the stream." I'd missed some of the conversation in my thought but I am alert now. Is she thirsty too, like me? That must but what he sister thinks, but how does she know? I glance wonderingly at her, but they've already begun to move away. They ignore me so easily, but I intend to see this predicament out fully. More importantly I too want to know if she, paints.

Gruffly exhaling I sulk after them, being sure to stay a ways away. They seem, violent. I step into the stream and feel at once rejuvinated. I drink and I watch.

I N K

Unregistered

I follow.

I trust her implicitly and I sense that she has figured this out more than I have. My head hurts trying to sort it all out, and I am thirsty. Perhaps that collision took more from me than I thought? I feel so, weak. I also miss the feel of my wings. My shoulders, so bare and naked, feel exposed and tall and ugly. I shrink closer to my sister. her presence soothes me and I trail soft, gentle kisses of my maw across her side as we walk.

We get tot he stream and I slip into its water. I feel immediately refreshed, and my head feels clearer, my limbs sturdier. I smile, and Surema grins back. I sip of my own accord, my thirst unquenchable it seems the more water I pull in. "No." Surema states, her voice harsh. My body was not the same deep and shiny black as Ink's, not any more. I was not aware, but it had begun to fade to a dingy brown. Surema knows what I do not - Ink's magic provides him his communication, but it also cloaks him black, staining his hairs. Something neither of us know yet however, is that I cannot copy his magic. Without it, the original transfer has begun to pale, the hairs turning their true bay.

"Try to paint!" Surema calls. I glance strangely at her. "Your tail, use your tail!" I glance back at my long, black tail and wave it back and forth across my rump. It flings water, but little else. Frustrated, Surema grinds her teeth. I'm worried now. Something has upset her. I go towards her, my damp maw leaving marks as I stroke her backside. I feel her calm beneath me, her muscles unwinding, her nose pressing against mine.

We stand for how long, I cannot know, but when we break apart, we are ourselves.

Hidden Account
Blu

I watch them like a hawk, these two girls who are rude and thieving and mean. I drink still, hoping to appear nonchalant, but inwardly I am glowing with pride to know that she cannot paint. Her tail flops uselessly. And if my eyes don't deceive, is she mud colored? I glance down at myself to make sure I don't look thusly, but I am still glossy and dark.

At one point, I think I recall, I was a bay. Long, long ago...

I shake my mind, chasing away such ancient memories. When I glance at them again they are holding one another tightly, and the one appears as the other. Stolen again? I can't help but wonder, but this is no longer my place, these girls, no friends of mine. Quickly, I shuffle away before I am forced to interact with them further. At least I know I am the only me.

I N K

Unregistered

I pull away from my sister's embrace and a smile instantly breaks my features. "Olema!" I cry, happiness making my voice waver. She glances up at me, startled. "You are you!" She glances down at herself and her feathers ruffle with excitement. Like a fresh filly she bounces upward, heels kicking out and wings whipping up the water as she waltzes around. I laugh amiably, and together we dance.

"I thought I was stuck as him forever," Olema confesses once the surge has drained from her. We lounge in the stream laying side by side and letting the wind stroke our faces as we stare at one another, appreciating our true bodies, our true minds - his memories have fled me as well. "I did too at first," I whisper, pain creasing my features for a moment. Olema makes a pathetic cry at this and tenderly reaches out to me, consoling me. I smile into her. "I quickly knew better though. I know what this is." She looks up at me expectant, but I want her to goad me on. I grin, mischievous.

"What?" she begs, scowling at the same time. "Is that all you'll offer me, a scowl?" I tsk at her, nipping playfully at her forelock. She tosses her head in annoyance, nipping me back, sharper. It makes my skin crawl and burn where her passing presence was. I want more.

"Don't play such games, this is a serious matter!" She admonishes me and it is truly adorable. I laugh but she continues to pout. "Life is a game! What else do I know but how to play it? And if you knew you would not be so sour of it," I murmur kindly. "I would know if you would tell me," she replies crossly, which threatens another smile from me. "What will you do for it?" I breathe, holding her gaze steadily.

Olema seems to think for a moment. Her irritation remains underlying in her gaze, but she softens, yielding to me. She feels it too, she must, after such a close call of being lost. "I can think of a few things I can do to you for it," she grins and ignites a lust within me that drowns everything else. I drag her closer to me, if that is possible, and she responds by molding against me. Her tail brushes mine, weaving between my haunches in a tickling way. Her muzzle leaves trailing softness across my side, down near my belly where it is delicate and often un-touched. I squeal with delight as that softness turns to nips.

And then she is gone, her feet letting her fly away from me. I am left wanting, craving, needing. I scramble after her and we're off again, racing through the trees and the streams.

Eventually, when we tire and our desires have shuddered out of our bodies, I tell her that we have wakened our magic. Hers I think, is to copy someone's form, and mine, their mind. We will do more testing, we will play some more games...