the Rift

Under the Influence

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream
No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

Hector was slowly beginning to lose track of what time is was exactly. The moon had one night suddenly appeared and the hybrid watched it now in wonder, the grasses of the oasis tickling his hocks in the freezing breeze of Frostfall. The endless night was a clear one though, no harsh weather plagued them at that moment and the stallion could see the silver light clearly. He wondered if his commander was fairing well, he was ordered to remain in the Throat lands upon his surprise in-statement as General in order to protect the Sinbird. Whilst Hector took his duties seriously and would protect Sumati with his life, he found himself chaffing at boredom. After all, he was a warrior at heart and an idle warrior was mind numbingly boring. There was only so much aerial and footwork work one could do by themselves. It was the main reason he'd returned to the oasis, where his match with Gaucho had took place and he smiled at the memory. He may have come out the victor that day, but he certainly had not defeated the now Sergeant and he wondered if they would ever get a rematch one day.

Sighing, he walked over to the lake and gazed at his dark reflection, noting the arrival of Veci by his side. Where have you been? He asked of his specter who appeared somewhere near his head. The ocean. Hector smiled, Veci had always liked being in her company, he was at his quietest when surrounded by the salty air. The sea was a beautiful place to visit. You're sad? Hector chuckled at his bonded's curious question before sighing another long sigh. No not sad, I just miss the feeling of a good fight. The General felt a wave of amusement hit him then before it turned into excitement. Fight then? Hector's smile broadened and he cast about the Oasis. Ah, we'll have to find a willing partner first.

Horse and ghost made their way to the centre of the Oasis before issuing a cry to battle. He wondered who, if anyone, would answer it. Large, orange marked wings folded into his sides and ears curved forwards as the wind ravaged his vibrant locks. Eyes burned in anticipation and blood pumped with fire, quivering in excitement, waiting for an opponent to appear.

(@[Shadow]
3 posts each + closing defence
Set in the Dragons Throat Oasis with a cold, northerly wind.
Hector will not be using magic/companions)

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Shadow
and who shall I say

is calling?

A call from a familiar voice rang across the oasis and made a shadow stir by the lakeside. Rugged ears turned as a dark head raised from its downed position where cracked lips scoured the ground for edible greenery, eyes dull yet retaining some small interest despite the hunger that continuously ate away at her strength.

That was Hector, wasn't it. What on earth... With a curious snort the little mare pushed her legs into a trot, stiff due to the cold and the stubborn wind that seemed hellbent on stealing away what little warmth she managed to get. Moving only did so much to warm her up, and it risked sapping her of the last of her strength... But she couldn't resist finding out what the tall tribrid might want. He had sounded so eager, so.. anticipating. As though something interesting was about to happen.

Now, Shadow wasn't exactly hard pressed to seek out his company, she quite liked the young giant. As she rounded the frozen waters of the Oasis and caught a glimpse of the winged steed her heart made a funny skip in the chest, as though the sight of the tall frame and the flowing mane had been a surprise. How silly, when she knew he had been there from the beginning. Snorting at herself, the raven slowed down to a steady walk and moved up to the general, whom she actually dared call friend, and gave him a curious look behind the bushy forelock.

"What are you up to Hector, calling out like that?" she asked with an amused twitch at the lips, faded purple glittering up at him in the light of the stars. She was more similar to her namesake than ever before now when the night had turned brighter; small, hard to spot and as silent as a whisper. But it was beginning to show how the winter was taking its toll on her. The coat had lost its gleam, and beneath the thick wool her ribs and hip bones were showing. Spring would have to come soon, or a life would be lost to the ages.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream
No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

The one who answered came as quite a pleasant surprise to the orange General. He watched her slow from a trot to a walk, his body reacted with a familiar passionate pull which made him blink in shock. When had he fallen this far into the clutches of love? Had distance truly made his heart grow fonder of the ebonite mare who aptly called herself Shadow, her short sturdy form a far cry to what Daenerys had looked like and yet the feelings she stirred were the same with subtle differences. Hector had hardly known the pale Arabian, but Shadow, the General knew a little more about her and his affections had grown in time. Apparently unnoticed until now. Noticing he was staring, he looked away quickly to school his expression before turning back with a gentle expression, lips curling into a half smile at her words of amusement. "What would make you think I’m up to something?!" He feigned innocence, leonine tail twitching as he was already enjoying himself in her company.

You like her.

His startled expression from the words in his mind turned quickly to an embarrassed frown and he cast his face downwards, silently cursing his bonded’s sheer bluntness. Keep your comments to yourself. He bit back at Veci, who laughed wildly before floating off somewhere unseen and Hector shook his head in disbelief. No doubt the sprite would make sure not to heed his words.

Curious pools gazed back to Shadow, his features turning thoughtful before tilting his head questionably. "Kri likes her warriors to be fit and ready for battle, I fear my skills are getting rusty in this endless night, care to help me train?" His thoughtfulness turned into a teasing smile then as his eyes glittered with mischief. "I wonder if you could beat me." It was more of a friendly taunt than anything else, pools hungrily waiting for her answer before going briefly blank as he sought the tender strings of his bond.

Are you coming back to help me?

He felt another flutter of amusement trickle into his conscience and the boggart chuckled in a tone that almost made Hector roll his eyes. Private fight. No Veci. The hybrid snorted at the spectre’s reply and shook his head once again. It appeared he was never going to live this down; his invisible friend had found something else to tease him about.

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Shadow
and who shall I say

is calling?

Dark head tilted slightly as she noticed the rapidly changing expression that flew across the tribrid's face. Not very good at interpreting the emotions of others, she remained clueless as to what he might have been thinking of, only knowing she felt happy as he smiled back at her. The leap of the heart was quickly replaced by a tickling flutter in the gut, rapidly suppressed as her grin widened - what was up with her today, really.

"Oh, I don't know" she retorted with light voice as lavender orbs trailed across Hectors tall, muscular frame. "Maybe that mischievous look you have, or the fact that you usually don't make much of a ruckus..." But it was more the eager tone in his voice that had drawn her closer. It had reminded her of something, a scene she had witnessed once as a yearling. She had woken up late one night and found her father gone from the clearing they had rested in, leaving behind only scents and tracks that disappeared into the forest. Without waking her mother the filly had risen and followed after her sire, finding him by the bank of a river along with a group of other stallions. They had been moving in a violent dance that night, a battle of everything and nothing with bodies crashing, wings batting and hooves flailing... It had been beautiful and horrible to see and left the normally inquisitive girl in such awe that it had taken many seasons before she could ask her dad about what they had been doing.

Was this why he had been sending his voice across the desert? Indeed this seemed to be the case. Raven appendages shifted thoughtfully at her side as she listened to the offer of her friend, a small snort of offense and slight hesitation escaping into the cold night.
"I guess... I could try" Skuggi said and unfurled the dark wings partly, "I haven't really done this before though, so don't blame me for being clumsy. I've only ever fought mountain cats and eagles in my life."

Already as she finished the sentence the little mare started forward, pressing her body from stillness into a short canter that brought her head on towards Hector. Round ears dipped awkwardly into the coarse mane, ivories bared and flashed white in the poor light as the raven turned in on the left side of her friend and made a snake-like snap towards his shoulder. She retracted the head again and heaved herself up into the air, sand scattering in the wind when she took off - hopefully they wouldn't end up blowing into the his eyes. Shadow beat the heavy wings rapidly to sustain her altitude, then with a flick of the tail she banged hard to the left, intent on slipping over his hind quarters, clip him on the right flank with her back hooves and land again on the other side, side by side with the General.

Not for the first time did she notice how exceptionally tall the stallion was. He towered over her when they stood side by side, easily able to fit her below an outstretched wing, and muscles well honed as well as the thorns protruding from his face turned the fiery steed into a formidable opponent. Beside him she felt even shorter than usual, dwarfed and weak and inexperienced...

What had she gotten herself into? The only comfort she felt as dry, black hooves sunk down once more into the shifting sand was his promise from before that he wouldn't use the horns against her. Shadow hoped that she could count on that, really wished that her attack wouldn't hit too hard if it ended up landing... Why would she ever want to actually hurt the horse that meant most to her in this strange new land?

Only allowing the wings to fold halfway back to the sides she sidestepped towards the left, hoping to putting some distance between them. While she greatly appreciated the comfort of his proximity, this was perhaps not the best time to cuddle up for warmth. Something about that playful taunt had gotten to her, like challenges usually did; Skuggi wasn't used to be ranked beneath others. She'd been youngest, her needs come first, her opinions taken into as serious account as any of her family's. The half-starved little bird wasn't about to let anyone settle down on her, not without working for it. Thus the glance she threw towards the experienced warrior was fierce, hot and alert as it looked to see what became of him, intent focused solely upon his sorrel frame. A minute ago it would have felt embarrassing to study him so closely - now it was all she could do, while tensely awaiting retribution.

1/3 + Defence
WC: 798

Came at Hector from the front, head to head. Moved to her right, his left, and attempted a bite towards his shoulder. Took off from the ground and flew up into the air, veered to her right to skim over his backside. Tried to kick him on the left flank as she went down on the other side, ending up side by side with Hector. Half-folded the wings and took two paces to her right, to make more space between them.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
21 days have passed. Hector defaults to Shadow.
Shadow receives +.5 VP.