the Rift

[OPEN] Perfect Porcelain [aka "The Booby Trap" - Ophelia Capture]

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud
& your heart releases, You won't fall to pieces.
& your breath comes crashing in. </style>

"I wouldn't step there."

Cold. Emotionless. She had been following Ophelia for some time - ever since she made up her mind to...well. We'll get to that. But things had gone far enough, and even the golden-girl, scorned or not, could not let Ophelia knowingly walk into danger.

"Or anywhere, actually. It's a trap."

My trap.

Anxiety - the only true flaw that Phaedra believed she had. Of course she was vain, untrustworthy to a point, and deceitful when it suited her purposes, but the extent to which she used those traits to her advantage, outweighed calling them flaws. Anxiety on the other hand, flooded her lithe body like a shot of adrenaline. It filled her chest and throat like an acidic poison; burning and churning and forcing her into reckless action. She wanted to scream and lash out at the white figure before her - had wanted to ever since Ophelia had so flakily and fleetingly said goodbye and simply left. But more than her desire to expel her frustration, was the want to be reassured. To...to have it be all alright again.

Tears stung through her sea-green gaze as her minds eye replayed Ophelia leaving. Ophelia, who had greeted her upon entering Helovia - who had seen past the frightened exterior, and had offered her a home within the Gray. But it had been more than that; it had been a purpose. A family. No longer was the golden girl forced to use her beauty as a way of getting stallions to protect her - now it was she that was a force to be reckoned with. She had earned magic on her own - from the Moon bitch and her star-bear - and had been gifted magic from Ophelia. Surely it was that magic that had allowed her to go unnoticed for so long - had allowed her to follow her former leader.

How could they just let her leave? The herd had simply gathered and waved goodbye, as if Ophelia was a passing relative, who had only stopped by for a short time. Some even offered to follow her, to leave the Gray. The metaphysics of the situation clouded Phae's judgement and tore jaggedly at her emotions - Was Ophelia a necessary part of the Gray, such that it was no longer The Gray without her? And while she had briefly considered following Ophelia (for Ktulu's cold stare, still unnerved her most times), Stella's quiet rational mind reminded her bonded of Ophelia's reaction when Tor had left.

So how....how could this be okay?

How could they let her leave?

How could they?

Phae tried to look strong and cold, to make Ophelia feel small and wrong, although she very much doubted that she was able to force such an emotion onto her former leader. She bit the inside of her lip hard, trying to keep the tears in her eyes from spilling out, and at the same time lifted her pink muzzle slightly, to try and force gravity to do the same. Nostrils flaring, Phaedra, with only slight hesitation, spread her oddly-patterned wings fully. Her chest heaved slightly, as she drew in a breath and held it, causing bits of stardust and glimmer to fall in glistening waves around her.

With a trap ahead, and Phaedra blocking Ophelia's path, what would The Forsaken do?

Tentatively, Stella trilled towards Tinek, as if subtly trying to ask him how to diffuse the situation.

[Permission for magic/Tinek usage. As Phaedra was using her Chameleon ability, please only join this thread if your character has a legitimate reason to be here :3

@[Ophelia]

Image Credits
 HP: 45.5
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
INNOCENCE
You will never be mine

Ophelia and Tinek made their way through the lonely trees, and the pale mare felt, for the first time in a very long time, peace. Though her heart ached with loneliness and the bitter desire for family, she found that not having her duties and their darkness hanging over her head brought her a form of serenity that she had not felt since she had left the Dragon's Throat so many years ago. She had left her position and forsaken her powers as a leader, and she wandered, trapped in her own mind and her own memories.

A part of her mind guided her, as her sight was both in her mind and before her, each focus torn in half. She trust Tinek to guide her, to keep an eye out, but she could tell that he too was disturbed by his own mind. For such a little creature (though he was quickly getting much bigger), the silver dragon had a very deep, thoughtful soul. He flew slowly on the winds blowing from the ocean, wings expanded and swaying softly. Neither of them were paying much heed to anything in particular.

An alarm started ringing in her head that was buried too easily by the weight of flawless memories, and she stepped without hesitation into the set trap. Ophelia found herself in a maze of a copse of trees with the only viable exit now blocked by....

Phaedra?

The pale mare's brows furrowed in confusion as she looked upon the sparkling mare with glassy beads in her eyes. Ophelia's own shards of the lost stone were dimmed in comparison to the winged mare's beauty, but she barely took stock of her own physique. Her wings were expanded, making her appear larger, but the strange, white Ophelia was not one of normal make. She was not intimidated nor was any instinct of fear excited, no. Her mind was too far full of memories for instinct to even matter. Instead, she was impressed and concerned, wondering who had sent Phaedra of if she had come on her own.

It upset her to think that she had to now consider her old family as possible enemies to her own ideals and decisions, but she had made this choice.

The mare frowned and turned her head to the side, strange gaze looking at Phaedra with a hesitant curiosity. She thought of using her magic, but she was not even sure that it would work, what with the Sun still missing in the sky. "Phaedra, why are you here?" she asked, her softly lilted voice carrying more thickly through the trees on her sensitive ears.

Tinek saw Stella and heard her chirp, but the dragon was perched, watching and waiting. Even though Ophelia did not recognize the danger in Phaedra's stance, the silver did. He waited on a low hanging branch, talons gripping the bark tightly as his scaled tail swung back and forth like a cat waiting for a situation to ripen and pounce. The dragon's jaws were opened ever so slightly, lips curled back from white, sharp teeth. He offered a chirping grunt back to Stella, giving her a warning that he would act if he needed to, and he would not hesitate.

Credits: The-Ripple-Effects @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Deceased

Her lip trembled - but her mind was far too focused on the blaring white shape Ophelia had become, to still the tremor. She was almost impossible to look at it - as if all light had been intensified as it focused on her brilliantly white coat. Was this magic? Was...was the sun returning? Or perhaps it was simply the thick tears welling up in Phaedra's moist eyes. What...what..? Dazzlingly her mind reeled, almost causing the golden girl to take a stuttering step forward. Anxiety fluttered again in her breast, like a startled bird, as a single shutter of her eyelashes caused the frigid tears to both cleanse her vision, and stain her sooty cheeks.

Phaedra, why are you here?

So calm. Hadn't Phae sounded like that moments ago? Cold? Reserved? She felt that if she were to try and speak now, that her voice would shatter like so much frozen ice. For a moment, her emotions wavered violently - the imagery turning to shattered Ophelia's frosty demeanor - but quickly faded.

And Ophelia wasn't even afraid. The world slowed, and for a moment, Phaedra saw herself as Stella did: Ophelia stood taller, and made skinnier perhaps by her white coat and lack of wings. Calm interest starkly contrasted the wave of emotion that threatened to crash and break over the sooty palomino at any moment. Wings outstretched in intimidation, Phaedra appeared more a naked child, than a force to be reckoned with. Tan breast bared for all it was worth, as her curly mane shuddered and danced with each hesitant and frosty breath. Of course Ophelia wasn't afraid.

Phaedra, why are you here?

Not, Phaedra, I'm glad to see you. Not, I wanted to say goodbye in person - not simply shout it at the trees and leave. Not even, Take care of yourself. Just

why are you here.
Why are you still bothering me.
I should have left you to the cold, that day in the Threshold.

why are you here.

"WHY ARE YOU" The sudden burst tore from Phaedra's lips, spewing small glistening lines of spit with the force. Her voice was both a scream and a cry - breaking horribly in the middle with an ugly vocal crack, so unlike her normal flirtatious chimes. Her body was visibly moved forward as the words escaped her lips; her wings bending forward with the effort. A dusty warmth painted her cheeks as the heat of her emotion rose even above the freezing temperatures, tears streaming anew down muzzle. "Why are you here and not home!"

Her muzzle rolled as her eyes a'lit dangerously, as Ophelia's goodbye wavered in her mind. "YOU did this to us! You made us what we are! Made me what I am!" - better. Her voice was now a powerful yell, as her emotion fueled the words, instead of merely cracking them into ugly sounds. Even her tears had momentarily stopped. "Why am I here? You made me to be here! To stealth, and spy, and steal!" As her adrenaline peaked, she paused for a moment, drawing a confident breath, though knowing it wouldn't last.

Again the lip tremble.

Again the tears.

"You ..you said we were a family." She nearly whispered, her voice devoid of the powerful anger of only moments ago. "We aren't a family without you and...and.." Tears. Crocodile tears. "..you didn't even ask me to come.."

Her lip continued to tremble, but as before, the golden girl sharply raised her muzzle to stop any more tears from glistening from her eyes. She both wanted to hate Ophelia, and to be comforted by her. Was her ego too large, that should Ophelia ask her to leave the Gray, that she would decline? To take her prisoner? But what would that prove? Did they all love her so much, as to allow this abandonment?

Who was wearing the rose coloured glasses? The herd? or Phae?

Or was it Ophelia?

@[Ophelia]

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

INNOCENCE
You will never be mine

Ophelia had not expected the verbal backlash, and she jerked her neck back in surprise, crimson tainted forelock falling over her face. She was struck by the vehemency in Phaedra's tone, the angle of her body pointed so forcefully in her direction. The white mare's brows furrowed over her two color eyes as she listened, but it did not take long for her defensive posture to be cut down, broken down by every subsequent word.

She felt weight on her shoulders again, boring her into the ground and pulling her hooves into the soil. Ophelia felt like she would be crumpled against the surface of the earth until its pores opened to drown her down into the fiery deep. Ophelia wanted nothing more than to join her friend in a tight embrace, but she assumed that distance would be only fair, since she had abandoned her.

Ophelia wanted to scream back, to retell what she had told the herd. She wanted to scream that she was falling apart, cracking from the inside and barely holding the pieces together. She wanted to cry that when she looked inside herself, it was not HER she was seeing. Ophelia was still struggling to bring the two halves of herself that the Sun God had split from her loss of memories, still trying to make herself whole, to bring herself back to some of what she was.

And yet with every contract, with every threat of death it widened the fissure between who she was and what she had become. Ophelia had been on a bullet train to self destruction, and she had taken a leap of terror from the tracks and onto unknown ground. She did was not naive enough to think that this was a good idea, or the best way, but for her, this had been her only choice lest she turn into something she could no longer recognize and no longer remedy.

How could she explain that?

Ophelia stammered, her own eyes turning glossy as the cool facade began to crumble, exposing the lost girl beneath the snowy exterior. "I have no.... no apology that would set anything right," she murmured, avoiding eye contact as her gaze fell to her hooves. "What good would I be doing you, asking for you to come with me?" she asked with a strained voice. "You are not at fault, you are safe in the herd. Why would I drag you into this hell as an outcast with me? I am not... I am not so cruel." She tried to take a deep breath, but it shook.

"I know that I did this to you, and I am so sorry, if... if you knew how tortured I am about this decision, perhaps you would understand." Ophelia frowned deeply. "The Grey was an idea from my sister, one that I had to scramble in my head in order for the concept to not make me sick. I lied to myself and in doing so, I lied to you, all of you. For some, the thought of killing, lying and stealing for our own material gain is a natural way of the world, and... in a way that is true. But with every action and whisper, I was being shattered."

Ophelia clenched her jaw to try and keep tears from falling. "I have lost everyone who was important to me, and I cannot lose anymore. Already my soul is becoming foreign to me, and I still have not managed to fix when my mind had been broken in two. The god I love has chosen to never see me again, my beloved confidant, Tor, betrayed me and left without saying a word, and I have turned my own life into a wreck. I can't.... If I were to stay on that path, I would have turned into a monster, but at least this way... I... won't... become something you can no longer recognize," she admitted openly, though she was not comfortable with bearing her soul again, only for it to be forsaken.

"I am so sorry. My intention was not to break a family, it was to make sure that I did not drive us into ruin. The contract with the Basin truly made me see, made me understand. Archibald nearly got us killed because of his over confidence and pride, and my sister's inability to see beyond her own desires was becoming too much to manage on my own. I am not a leader, and I never was. I never wanted to be. When Ktulu and I started this, we were children, and it is a child's dream that turned into a nightmare, for me."

"I realized that there was wisdom in my father's choices. You can love without condoning actions, and you can care without supporting. That... that is what I have to do, for me, and for Tinek. I cannot... I cannot put him through the disaster that is my head anymore. I am not... whole. I need to find... who I am again..." Ophelia tried to find words, and she finally just sighed, head hanging low on a frame that was weary, hanging off of her skeleton like a damp rag. "I do not ask you to forgive me, how could I? But I am always here for you, even if I do not live where you do anymore. You will always be my family."

@[Phaedra]

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.

Deceased

In those moments as Ophelia spoke, the age difference between the two disappeared, and Phaedra's emotional childishness began to show. The Spy had only ever learned how to manipulate emotions, but never to deal with the ones that she truly felt.

I have lost everyone who was important to me

It was likely a simply mis-step on Ophelia's part. She certainly had meant, lots who were important to me, or perhaps lost everyone [in my past] who was important to me - something similar. Surely she did not mean everyone. Yet those were the words ringing in the Golden Spy's ears. And oh how they rang. They rang like the chimes one hears before fainting, like unspoken words uttered after a quarrel. Vaguely she heard Ophelia apologize, and give her reasons. Vaguely, her mind noted that they made sense...that Ophelia was no brutal trader of lives and goods for payment. But they left no impact upon her mind, for it was already too full, the words too loudly repeating.

I have lost everyone who was important to me

Everyone spy, her mind cruelly spoke, echoeing Ophelia's voice. Does not include you.

She was merely collateral damage. Of course Ophelia hadn't asked her to come along with her, nor had she spoken out about these feelings to the spy previously; Phaedra was not one who was important.

Fire burned anew in her sooty breast, and as her sea-green gaze rose once again, this time it was lit from within with an angry passion. Her ears lay flat against her skull, as an even, icy cold voice left her throat:

"You are a sophist. Your words sound right and rational, but you are only fooling yourself; taking the easy way out." Her voice rose slightly as more emotion crept in - the Golden Spy was only able to maintain an icy tone of voice for so long for she wasn't as practised as Ophelia was. "It must be a small world you live in, to have lost everyone you cared for. If I meant so little to you Ophelia, do not coddle me now with more promises you never mean to fulfill, and more lies."

Her creamy tail snapped at her hocks, as her wings fanned upward. They were still raised, but now hugged her sides so evenly that the trail beside her was easily accessible. "Sorry doesn't fix anything. Sorry is an excuse" - These words, spoken from Phi to Tor (and retold to the spy by Apollo), now seemed fitting. Given the Gray's reaction to Ophelia leaving, Phae was confident that they would have altered their processes and plans to succumb to whatever it was that Ophelia needed to maintain her sanity. Perhaps they would have disbanded entirely, and simply become The Foothills if that's what it took to stay together.

As a Family.

"I wash my hands of you Ophelia. You took me in when I had no where to go, and gave me a purpose. I am what I am today, because of you. For better or worse." Her head dropped low, letting a small green amulet fall off of her sooty neck and onto the ground. The Earth Amulet she had stolen from Arathea so long ago, to prove her loyalty and ability. Raising her head, it became clear that once again her eyes were moist. "Consider that debt paid. I will always consider you my family Ophelia, for that is what the Gray are, together or not. But never again shall I come to you with love in my heart."

[If you want this to end, Phi can just watch Phae fly away. But I wanted her to have a chance to reply]

@[Ophelia]

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

INNOCENCE
You will never be mine

Ophelia furrowed her brows, wondering what she could have possibly said to have made Phaedra toss away her words and display of emotion. She listened, steeling herself away behind a wall of ice, two-toned eyes no longer showing the warmth and guilt that plagued her soul. A sneer threatened to curl from her lips, but the expression on her face was cold, nothingness. She raised a brow. "Do you think that this was easy for me?" She grunted, gritting her teeth tightly. "Why do you think that I have been absent from our herd? I needed clarity! Leaving my family remains one of the most difficult decisions that I have ever made."

She furrowed her brows. "Everyone in my past, Phaedra. Who, from my history, remains besides my sister? I lost my entire LAND. Osiris, my sister, and my father and mother remain, and other than them, my childhood is black. I was not born here. I did not come from here. I made this place my home like a puzzle piece that never quite fit, but I make the best of it, how I can because I cannot change the past." I just remember every damn second of it.

"Sorry is an admission that I understand how I have hurt you," she corrected. "I am not going to try and convince you otherwise. If you do not want to see where I stand, you will not. You are stubborn, and that is a good thing. Perhaps it will save you from more... monsters like me in the future." Ophelia's tone turned rather bitter at the end, and she shook her head. "Be safe," were her parting words as the beautiful pegasus flew away, and Ophelia turned to ice.