the Rift

[OPEN] Blooming petals of fire (Flow, Cera, Open)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

MIDAS
I've loved you for a thousand years
Our walk was uneventful, and rather quiet. We shuffled through the cold slush briskly enough to keep blood flowing through the veins, but slow enough for shorter legs to maintain a speed without getting fatigued. Every ounce of my flesh was on high alert; it’s unnerving, our path through the darkness. Shadows, with their mysterious shapes turned my beloved trails into sick mind games. Leaves were illumed unnaturally in some places, their underside was black—and even blunt species appeared as sharp as steel. It almost felt like walking through the tall dead grass would slice the flesh from our legs. Each crunch helped verify just how desperate the situation was, our world was slowly dying of starvation. Yet, I tried to not let these worries show for the sake of my current company; and the darkness did aid in hiding my grim expression.

Flow was already nervous and she didn’t need my usually steady self to suddenly grow uneasy. Such a thing would likely break whatever it was that had led her the decision of traveling with me. The pillar was ahead, and the air temperature grew considerably warm as we neared. Its mighty flames licked toward heaven with proud kisses. A wonderful sight indeed, my rigid posture relaxed just a little as that flame grew larger. Eventually golden pools turned to regard her shadowy frame while we walked in silence, even though I knew she wouldn’t be able to really see what type of express was plastered upon my façade; the tips of my mouth still curved into a smile and it was the tone which hinted upon such, “Welcome to Dragons Throat.”
table by whit
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Escaflowne Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Escaflowne
I'm always searching for something more.

(Finally figured things out~!)

I took each step with the caution of a deer fawn, large, sweeping, and undeniably curious. Dusty gold eyes gave the strange land a piercing look, unsure of whether or not I should trust it. Home had trees, trees everywhere with grassy knolls and rolling hills, caves to hide us. This place was deserted, barren and full of dirty orange rocks, rocks the color of sun-warmed clay. We had that back home but I don't think this counted as clay, it was harder and hotter.

What really drew my attention was the billowing flame that suddenly rose before me, I hadn't been paying attention and now my eyes were glued to the flickering vapors. It was like somebody had taken an ember and enhanced it in the womb of natures hearth. Oranges and dark golds licked at my side as we neared, the stallion Midas stopped close to the fire and looked back at me with a strange appreciation. Dragon's Throat, this is why I understood now. Fascination and fear lit up my orbs and tall ears buried themselves into the crease of my poll, what to make of this beautiful thing? I knew Mother would not be here and that hurt me really, I knew she would fly away from a fire before venturing into its heart. She was not here and now I was, small, stunted wing stalks trembled away from my body. Delight and trepidation stepping up my chest and lodging in my throat, what was I supposed to say? So I said nothing, choosing to channel my feelings as best I could into a single gaze that I cast upon Midas. Wonderment, fright, uncertainty, and a sense of belonging that I could not understand. It was strange and I wasn't sure I liked it, but I followed the spark until it led me to the fire in my stomach.

I suppose this place could be my home, I could make it that. I knew though that if Mother ever came I would leave, I wouldn't bother looking back. I wonder if that would hurt Midas.
table by whit

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

C e r a</style>
          & Ilaria
look around you; the world is beautiful

I take up the sky like a giant in a body that is a far cry from such. I embrace the tender silken nightfall that comes from lack of celestial beings. In my horizon Her Highness hangs, the feminine touch to the Gods, yet far from Hera- she does not wear the highest crown, for she is not the Queen. My Lords and singular Lady all held shared power, and it was one of many reasons that bent my knee and touched my muzzle to earth in respect when I held them in my vision or even in my heart at night when prayer was all that kept me strong and evermoving. Astride my shoulders, Ilaria gazes quietly into the starry, quiet evening, her warmth a familiar addition upon my hide. The currents are cold from Frostfall, but as any pegasus knows, there are always varying temperatures in the heavens. An addition to Her light, the flaming pillar that embodies our patron Lord shoots high into the sky, though I’ve yet to see if it ends somewhere in the endless galaxy above. I’ve been doing what I had never thought I would- patrols had begun to take up my time, official or otherwise. There was something sinister in the air, despite Her presence. Something that prickled the nape of my neck, sent ghostly shivers arcing down my spine and tangoing down my legs. Tension ran like a silver wire, humming with conversation and gossip, between the spiderweb of herds and bands, outcasts and newcomers.

I dip my left wing, caressing the surface of an invisible lake, my vision impeded by the thick, pale lashes that adorn my eyes. And there I see, at the base of the pillar, two figures. Before I recognize them, I am already levelling out and tucking my wings to my sides tightly, allowing gravity to pull me down at dizzying speeds. Only when I see the familiar splotches of ebony and ivory do I spread my appendages and slow, nearly backpedaling with how quickly I stop my descent. Curiously I eye my father’s companion, a figure I’ve yet to meet in the Throat. Perhaps a new recruit? Yet, as I spiraled ever closer to the ground, and by proxy to the figurines standing upon the sand, I couldn’t quite fit the fae’s image into the word ‘recruit’. She was no fighter, with her skittish, dancing steps and quailing movements. My heart panged, remembering Mystique and Wanyecha, both so terrified and hesitant. How many more would be abandoned like I had? How many more would cry into the darkness for mothers and fathers, sister and brothers who would not return? How many more foals would seek haven in the warmth of the Dragon’s Throat, orphaned and distrustful?

My ivory hooves hit the sand with a solid, pleasant thud. A small, dusty cloud, far from threatening our eyes with the particles drawn up from my landing, rises from the earth at the buffeting of my wings. I did not land directly amidst them, not wishing to frighten the scared looking female who looked to be about my age. Jogging easily on my seemingly never-ending legs, I smiled brightly to Father and Fina, whickering softly in wordless greeting as my harks tipped forward in joyful recognition. Ilaria uncurls from my nape and pokes her head out into the air from my left shoulder, luminescent silver-edged mahogany irises blinking searchingly at the unknown yearling while I welcomed my father home from his travels. My own pale caramel muzzle reached out for the obsidian of Father’s, smile still warm and inviting on my lips and in my eyes as I brushed him, exchanging breaths and scents as we did every morn and night. Not that we could tell the hours anymore. ”Welcome home, Father. Have you been safe in your travels?” I step back, nearly dancing with the length of my legs, to survey him with concern, a crease upon my brow as I check to make sure no inch of him that I can see is scarred or marred in any fashion.

Only once I am satisfied with this rather routine, almost habitual inspection, I turn my emerald gaze to the filly at my father’s side. Her canvas is deep, blacker than a raven’s wings and darker than a starless new moon night. Her gazers are the same gold that I have come to associate with Father, luminescent and eye-catching. Upon her cheek the same color trails up her bone delicately, a sharp but attractive contrast to her pitch black background. She shoots from the ground, rivaling me in height, but from my own observation we are dead even at this young age. Ilaria peers at her intently from my shoulder still, a watchful guardian. I turn and bump my nose to her shoulder, and she makes a disgruntled noise as she leaps away from my prodding to clamber up my neck to my poll. Rolling my eyes at her antics, I gave a warm smile to my year-mate and stepped forward, careful not to invade her space, merely show I was engaged and curious.

“Hello there, my name is Cera. Welcome to the Dragon’s Throat! What’s your name? I like your markings, they’re very pretty,” I admitted softly at the end, my smile traveling to encompass the entirety of my face, smiling through eyes, face, and lips all at once. How could I not be happy? I didn’t believe in flattery, and I was still far too young to understand all that business anyways, but I wanted to compliment her at least. Hopefully she wouldn’t kick me in the face for some odd reason if I messed it up. Mares were seriously weird sometimes. Ilaria huffed and dug her claws into my skull and I winced slightly, huffing out a tiny laugh that was hardly audible. Oh dear, I guess I was wrong. Women in general were crazy, not just mares. That one earned me a slap to the neck with her tail. I adjusted and folded my wings closer, comfortably tucking them into my body, warding off the chill effectively. I may not succumb to the wintery seasons as I had before reaching my first year, but I was still prone due to my thin, lanky frame, no matter that I was slowly gaining a very lean, athletic musculature. I was envious of Father in his stout, impressive strength, but he was always quick to soothe my doubts and brighten my insides with love and kind words that highlighted my own good points. Blinking at the newcomer with a boyish smile, I suppose in the future I would dub it as charming, I flicked my bitoned tail and waited patiently to hear her vocals.

image credits
table by whit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

MIDAS
I've loved you for a thousand years
It’s hard to tell what my young friend is thinking; she certainly didn’t seem over enthused about the features our home offered at first glance. Which, considering that everything was either dead, dying or unnaturally glowy…I couldn’t blame how her eyes cast their gaze at me in bewilderment. Lost, uncertain, innocently childlike. By firelite I saw that Flow’s ebony senses were slammed so far back across that dainty head it was a wonder they didn’t merge into one flesh. This was not how I wanted to show her the land of my father, nobody favored presenting the sands to newcomers during a time like this—when it is shrouded by shadows and questions. I would have loved nothing more than to speak of good things between us. Show this yearling the wonders of a beautiful oasis, let her smell the orchid blossoms in Birdsong and sip from the purest waters a desert could offer during the heat of Tallsun. Yet, all I could submit was warmth and a promise of protection here at the base of this fire.

She said nothing vocal in response, only gazed up at me with that same forlorn expression and looked away dejected. My heart yearned to somehow reach out. If only I could pull Flow close against my barrel and simply hold her as a mother would her child. Things weren’t so simply in life, this filly wasn’t a tiny foal to be cuddled—and it was likely that she would reject any semblance of physical comfort. Still, I stretched my neck towards her and paused all other movement. The whiskers on my muzzle twitched back and lips parted to allow a soft whisper clearance, “You’ll be safe here Flow, that I can promise you.”

A screech shatters the crackling silence, the tone is demanding and similar to the shrill call of a predator bird. Fina. My attention rises, eyes snap to a heaven that wasn’t heaven. Her magnificent body appears out of the darkness and becomes naturally accented by the fire. She circles the pillar, staring down at us in a raptor sort of way. Softly my bonded touches the mind and I feel a rare wash of her concern, “You’re safe?” Already she is eyeing my company with a dangerous suspicion that is born from a worrisome heart, I hold back a scowl and respond, “I’m well, come down here and meet the newest member of our family.”

Fina circles again, but acknowledges my request by flying lower. I turn back to regard Flow with an easy smile that would hopefully reassure, “I would like you to meet Fina.” The exotic bird alights across my spine one moment later. Her talons gently caress flesh as her slight weight settles upon me, a welcome improvement to how they used to dig. Sunset plumage folds skillfully, and she becomes a streamline being; aqua eyes swivel at a bend to catch the ash colored filly within her sights. Studying the child with judging eyes I hear a question soon after, “The child is…afraid?”

“Yes, this one was likely abandoned to the night.”

Somewhere within those pools a softness forms, I wasn’t the only one who pitied the lost souls of this world. That creamy beak opens and instead of a hiss or crackle, she whistles a gentle tune—one I recognize from when Cera was smaller. “She likes you,” I add, still retaining my previous grin. Perhaps it was helping me watch over Cera that eased that reckless nature into something more caring, or maybe my soul was gentling her wild spirit. Raptor pools jerk back to me accusingly and the orange feathers along her spine ruffle up as if she had just heard something offensive, “I care nothing for them…” she huffs out melodramatically.

Though we both knew it was a lie.

Another set of wings disturb the air, I recognize their pattern and glance up. Fina also tilts her beak toward the astral abbess, a restrained eagerness flares—one that was often hidden from all but myself and him. Cera. She loved him dearly, like a sister to brother; they had been together since her hatching and there was none that could be more favored. My son comes into view, his creamy patchwork body rippling with new muscles. A lean composition, athletic and sporty; it wasn’t going to be long before this mind matched the height of his body.

He lands at a comfortable distance. Fondly I gaze down the fireline at the desert child, a soft responding whicker springs from the folds of my throat as he trots over. Despite having only moments ago expressed an uncaring disposition, Fina chirps brightly; she had been waiting for Cera and Ilaria to notice her. Our muzzles stretch and join, we both knew this almost ritualistic pattern. I had after all been the one to teach it. Breathing in his musky scent was like tasting home, “Welcome home, Father. Have you been safe in your travels?”

“Aye,” I respond softly, though I knew the word was useless until he had finished going over my flesh for mar and imperfection, “You shouldn’t worry so much, it will give you early wrinkles,” my lip twist into a playful beam that was becoming rare these troubled days. He wastes no time in diving right into introductions. I regard Ilaria while words are being spoken, smiling I inquire lightly, "Keeping him in line while I'm busy?"

table by whit
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Escaflowne Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Escaflowne
I'm always searching for something more.

It must have been something divine that chose to send Cera to us at that moment, successfully frightening me as far away from him as possible. Dust erupted from the earth in a silken cloud of gold highlighted with red sediment, my hooves skittered upon the ground as I stationed myself out of view. Trepidation slid its fingers up around my backside and down my back, plucking the hairs along my spine as it traveled up, up, and tickled my ears which swiveled round. I could see through the dissipating cloud a creature like us, a pegasus with... No! Curiosity grounded me and I was moving before I truly realized it. Two skins clashed across this boy's body, a color close to the clay on a rivers bank and yet lighter, creamy. It was a vastly different from the black attached to Midas and yet somehow the same.

His name was Cera and he looked at me on equal ground, vibrant yet shadowed green clashed against my own vivid gold. I could feel the pulse of something familiar behind my eyes, cheeks twitching as I tried not to smile. He was my age and suddenly I didn't feel so alone, but it was different sort of feeling than what I usually had. I didn't know this boy and he was so strange, his coat, his demeanor, his speech... It was all so akin to Midas and utterly bizarre. I couldn't place where the discrepancy lied and so I took instead a more tentative steps toward him. "Flow, my name is Flow... P-pleased to meet you.. Cera" A voice trembled across the back of my brain, much like a warning bell but it wasn't strong enough for me to take heed.

Somehow I pictured Milly trying to ward me off from wherever she was, striking out to push the boy away from me. She had always been the more attractive of us and preferred the attention over me. So having his full attention on me was if anything uncertain and like the child I was I ducked my head shyly, brushing it down and close to the older stallions thigh. It took me a moment to realize what I'd done but I didn't move should I reveal the embarrassment upon my face. I don't think Midas would mind really, although it didn't last long before a resounding shriek caused my to start up and backward from both horses. The flaming missile came fast and hard yet at the last minute it swooped out of it's dive and landed with the epitome of elegance upon Midas' shoulder blade. My jaw clenched and fell repeatedly, a chewing motion to signal subservience that I turned to unconsciously. "W-what!" I gasp as Midas speaks, explaining the creature that was not a missile at all but in fact- a bird. Impossible. Birds did not burn and live, fire brought death and destruction wherever it went and this bird was engulfed in it. The word 'pheonix' was beyond my mind to grasp and I trembled anew next to Midas, despite his assurances.
table by whit