the Rift

[OPEN] Empty nights bring starlite sights (Kri, Hector, Open)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
the one to see you through your darkest times

Days rolled by, illuminated by a moon that never set; never waned. Stars that didn’t flickered out and give way to a forceful sun. Time stood still, the planet seemed to pause; unmoving, without breath. Frozen in time. I trailed above the very edge of our home, eyeing the wall below with mixture of disappointment and wonder. Without Earth magic it was a pile of useless rubble, as lifeless as the steel that hung around my broad shoulders. Even though a great cheer had rose up when the moon appeared—and folks had even dared to hope that it would soon set.

Those glimmers of anticipation flickered to life in the hearts of my brethren only to be stifled again when nothing changed day after day. I knew. It wasn’t over; my powers had flickered back to life—but the flame was weak, hardly a glow. I could barely harness my power in a way that wouldn’t injure those standing in close vicinity. Until everything was restored fully, it was likely that all magic would remain broken.

Wings beat the night air strongly and with sure purpose; it was chilly because of a never ending blast of cool air that seemed to filter from a North that suffered for a moment of sun. Each raspy breath came as a mist that rose only to fall behind from the speed at which I moved. My eyes searched the land for anything which would threaten our safety; we were still on high alert after all. No time for a wandering mind.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream
 HECTOR</style>

Twelve o’clock!

Hector turned to gaze towards in the direction Veci sent him in and smiled happily when he noted the form of Midas, his fellow comrade in arms. The moons glaring silver bounced against his liver fur and illuminated folds of fiery orange locks that flew like a banner behind him. How long had it been since they’d seen the sun? So long that the General was now getting used to flying in the darkness, guided gently by Veci as they patrolled the borders, carefully watching over Sumati until Kri came back, who may even be back now.

He wondered how her meeting went as he gradually glided over towards Midas, was there anymore news? Did the lands of the Dragonheart sit in the same shimmering moon’s light just like they did? He sighed and hoped one day that the patron god of the throat would shine brightly again, giving back the sight robbed from them. It would be nice to patrol in the sunshine and bask in it’s warmth, in fact, Hector just wished for the beautiful Tallsun days.

He braced himself on his wings and hovered beside the patched warrior with greeting plastered all over his face, dipping his head in a customary manner of hello. "Midas" came his softened booming vocals as Veci floated in beside him. He wondered if the General was out on patrol like himself, their warriors were indeed well trained under Kri’s watchful eyes. His line of sight slowly drifted to the sorry looking wall that had wilted in the endless darkness and reminded himself it was a good thing they were so vigilant.

Image Credits

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

KRI the Resolute</style>
    My friends, I am only flesh and bone, but I won't let you die alone.</style>

I had only been back in the darkness a few hours, the red sands of my home gently illuminated by the light of the great pyre. My ocean eyes scan the expanse of my home looking for the familiar black and white figure of my long entrusted general, Midas. If anything occurred in my home during my absence, I trusted that the golden stallion would know of it. More so than my counterpart Sumati, I trusted Midas to watch for the best interest of my kin. Sumati was noble and cunning, but there was something of a snake in her soul I did not entirely trust.

Perhaps that is why I chose to retain the main force of my home, the soldiers.

Amidst the shadowed crimson and oranges, I spot the familiar glow of white marred by charcoal. Immediately, I begin to curve my flight downward, my voice lifting up to flow down toward the sands. "Ho!" I call forward, trying to grasp his attention before I land with a soft thud on the sands. The grains dance about the air around my hooves, my wind magic granting me a more graceful landing than I had experienced in its absence.

Upon the ground, I notice the bright orange and blood body of Hector, viewing him with warm eyes for a moment before dividing my attention between the two. "Generals," I say, happy to be home once more. "What has happened in my absence?"
""

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas

I felt him before I saw him, and heard the pattern of his wings before enough distance for speech had been closed. When eyes couldn’t be easily used, it would seem that other senses took the liberty to develop as compensation. Our ears had become most important, the slightest change was noticed by sensitive hairs that ran down each sensor; smell also enhanced itself. “Midas,” the orange one said, addressing me by name and not title. If only Hector knew how much his manner was appreciated; too often the herd saw me as their General instead of brother and friend. I turn my muzzle and shift sideways to greet him while giving ample airspace so our wings didn’t collide. “Staying busy brother?” I asked quietly above the whistling wind. Hector was recently promoted, a decision that was both fair and wise from my standpoint. The amber warrior had been nothing but loyal to his family, he was also a great brother in arms.

Those sunset eyes fell to the ground and mine followed curiously. The pitiful wall held nothing back; our thoughts mirrored the other, yet I was the first to give such concerns a voice, “I wonder if it will get finished…” our conversation would be cut short because another thumping sound shook the naked airspace above, I glanced up and sure enough a streak of chocolate came soaring in, “Ho!” she called. Ebony corners slipped into a welcoming beam, I was happy to see our head Sultana safe and at home. One glance later at Hector and I’m bending forward to follow her example by landing.

My hooves touch sand, and they are sure to be followed—Hector would have things to report. She turns to us both, appearing fit and ready for business— there was little to no sign of fatigue across her mug. “Generals,” subconsciously I straighten, and wings trail closer to my barrel as a soldier might stand at attention, “What has happened in my absence?”

Before she left us I had been charged with the duty of caring for our boarders and overseeing troop action. Luckily her home had been quiet for the most part, “Our boarders are secure and your Soldiers are fit for battle should the time draw near,” I thought back to the previous weeks and added, “I haven’t seen any sign of Levi or Aryel. Guacho has been doing well to fill their hooves in light of….their absence.” It was rumored that the two had shared a fling of sorts—perhaps they had decided to elope? “I’m sure you’ve noticed, but magic has returned with the rising of the moon; its only come to a handful of our members though, some remain without their powers. Also one of our family has gone missing, a new recruit, Shadow.”

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream
 HECTOR</style>

A grand smile broke out across his features, orange globes sparkling in guilty humour as he crooked his head to one side and laughed ruefully. "As much as I can, I find if I stand still for a moment the weight of my new title begins to bare down on me, idleness is not something I aspire to." His tones were jovial and welcoming, the world around them was already oppressing, perhaps a few lighthearted words would lift spirits even if it was just the smallest amount. The orange boy was about to continue to ask about Midas’s own well being before a familiar scent and awe like presence snuck onto his senses which was matched with the singing voice of Veci in his mind. KREEEE! the spirit sang jubilantly, speeding off to float unseen around her wings making strange, cooing noises to her return as the fiery eyes of Hector lit up as he gazed towards his Commander and quickly followed Midas to the ground, where hooves met the hard surface with a rather loud thud that came from his bulky body.

Folding away his wings he immediately snapped to attention when she called them, leonine tail curling around one back leg as he waited for Midas to deliver his news first in an efficient concise fashion to which Hector too tried to order his thoughts. The mention of Shadow sent a shot of pain through his body, where had she gone? Had the shadowy mare simply left? For some reason the stud found that hard to believe, she had been very keen to learn more about her new home and even keener to contribute. Surely... She would tell him if she decided to leave, wouldn’t she? He felt certainty and uncertainty, unclear as to why she had gone, but certain that she needed to be found.

Taking a deep breath, Hector turned his full attention to Kri and delivered his own report. "Our Chancellor is safe, I have made sure nothing befell her in your absence." He paused then, Midas had already effectively covered the rest though he was rather curious about the last part of his comrade’s report. Hector had never felt magic’s embrace, but he had noticed the darkness’ effects on Veci who grumbled about not feeling ‘himself’. So the endless night really did cause problems for those with magic and, apparently, magical beings too.

The last thing for him to do was broach the subject of Shadow. Perhaps Kri had already formed an action plan, but if he didn’t voice his wishes, then he might just regret it later. "About Shadow, Commander. May I have your permission to go find her? She is, as Midas rightly says, relatively new to the herd and upon meeting her I learnt she wished to become more involved, to become apart of our family and contribute. I do not think she would simply leave." Hector laced the last line in warning, the dark foreboding in his heart melding into his words as he feared the worst for her.

Image Credits

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

KRI the Resolute</style>
    My friends, I am only flesh and bone, but I won't let you die alone.</style>

"The time may come sooner than we think," I say shortly, my voice warm despite the cool meaning of the words. War may be settling on our horizon, and I wished not to miss any opportunity to strengthen our ranks before it descended upon our heads. For the rest of Midas's report, I silently listen, nodding occasionally to show that I understood. Gaucho, not surprisingly, had been able to fill the duties of the two sergeants without issue. While he may be less than a sharp mind, at least he had a willing spirit and loyal heart.
The latter being increasingly harder to find.

My brows knit at the mention of Shadow being missing. Her face had been the first to greet me home, but the time it had taken me to locate my generals had been sufficient for her to go missing, long enough for the pair to notice. I frown, the ends of my lips tugging downward. "It must have been recent, brothers, for she was the first to greet me home," my voice seems distracted, as I think back to the encounter. "Best that we find her location quickly, for she had come home with a unicorn - Fawkes." Unicorns were usually bad signs for my life. They spelled war, specifically with the same damned herd that refused to die, but instead lived in a horrible wasteland of the north.

"Excellent, Hector," I say in response to the second General. I was glad that the Sinbird was unharmed, since I had yet to lay eyes on her familiar face. "If you seek Shadow, proceed with caution. Our rivals of the North had proven themselves murderers, so be wary of those who wear only horns on their brows."

Taking some time to let the statement sink in, I begin to speak again, with the heavy news delivered from Mirage. "Darkness resides in the home of our Northern allies, the Qian. Mirage was trouble by the passing of two of our kin - Solstice and Torasin, murdered by members of the Basin. The Dragonheart has placed a price on Mauja's head for the murder of her beloved Torasin," I say, looking toward them both with a serious expression. "If you see the Ice King, you are to capture and deliver him to me."

"The increasing threat of the Basin requires us to take action, which I will discuss with you in the light of the flame, where we are less apt to be overheard by unfriendly ears."
""

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

“The time may come sooner than we think,” she was very direct, almost factual as if saying ‘we might soon go to war’ was a detached part of life. In a way, it was common. Helovia never seemed to find peace for very long; too many bad apples tainted our golden ones. Some more spoiled than others. I frowned, not from displeasure at the idea of war—but simply out of concern for our well-being as a herd. Now, was the worst time for battle; so many of our members are weak and without power. Those that had magic…were often unable to perfectly control it. We would manage as always, none were of a weak constitution.

Kri didn’t dwell on the topic for longer than that one sentence though, much to my disappointment. She went on to give an answer to mine and Hectors response. Fawkes. Brows furrowed, I hadn’t met a Fawkes. Recent indeed, I didn’t know how long Kri had been home exactly; but I hadn’t seen Shadow around the Oasis for the past few days at the very least….it was so hard to tell in this confounding frozen world. Two days, three? A week? She hadn’t come home after patrols and with the herd shrinking…we simply couldn’t risk losing more family due to idle reaction time and uninvestigated hunches. My lips tightened their concerned line when Hector piped up that he would be interested in traveling to find our missing recruit. I thought back, to our conversation under the thicket trees—she had been so interested in magic and our culture. It was likely that her vanishing wasn’t a coincidence; if anyone had her—I bet upon the unicorns up North.

A pause and then she speaks again, this time sharing some news about her ventures visiting our sister clan. My gaze hardened as our beloved Sultana shared some rather shocking information. Mauja was wanted for murder. Lips remain tightly clamped until Kri finishes completely and informs us both that we would need to meet with her by the fire. “Aye Kri.” Quietly I added, “In the meantime, I could gather Intel from Fawkes; just to see if he has any connection to Shadow's disapearance?”