the Rift

[OPEN] The shadows betray you

Fawkes Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
@[Shadow] first please. Sorry this took me forever, I take it he sorta went unconscious and then you can supply the details after that.

The lights went out. I'm not talking about the sun, I knew it was gone it had been for some time. I was talking about the little orange balls that hung off the trees. I was thinking about a glow of violet eyes. I couldn't see them, and I couldn't move. I don't remember what happened. I was in this void of darkness, scarcely aware my heart thumped, and my lungs still carried on their errands. I must be alive? Why couldn't I open my eyes? Why couldn't I stand up? Why couldn't I wake up?

It felt strangely what it might have been like waiting to be born. Except I wasn't going to be born again. I wasn't in water bubble. I was aware of who I was, where I had come from. My name was Fawkes. I certainly wasn't a phoenix meant to rise from ashes. Ashes that had always consumed my life with their toxic suffocation. So I wasn't meant to be anything more than a unknown soldier. So was I merely waiting to die?

Death was pretty peaceful unless this was the final serenity I received before meeting the fiery depths of damnation. I didn't think there would be any angels asking me to heaven's gate. Quietly, my heart continued to thump so calmly, but I was still consumed in this weird haze. Things began to warm up around me, and my cold body began to twitch in fright. I was no longer breathing easy as my blood pressure begin to rise, and I could feel the strange heat strengthen. Heat that shouldn't have existed. I didn't know any better, the littlest warmth feeling like I was set ablaze. It didn't matter. This was hell wasn't it? I waited for the fire, the burn, and the chorus of demons that would feed off the remains of my soul.
Image Credits

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan
@[Kri]
@[Sumati]

Shadow
and who shall I say

is calling?

She could feel his heartbeat grow stronger against the tender skin beneath the wing. It had been dangerously weak for some time there, after his collapse just beyond the border of the desert, but now as the stars had begun to glimmer in the sky once more, he was coming around. Guilt gnawed her tongue like acid as she looked down on the figure on the ground, slumped down beneath the last of the glowing trees for miles.

Had she been wrong to drag him along on this long, arduous journey? She'd been so insistent that he should come to the Throat, nagged and begged and pushed him along, without considering whether he actually wanted to come or not. When he'd collapsed without warning the little crow had gotten beside herself with worry, flitted around him like an egg-sick hen until she finally realized that there was nothing she could do. The only thing she had to offer was her own body heat, and so with some hesitance she had sunk down on her knees beside the horned stallion, wrapped a wing over his back and hoped - even prayed to the lost gods - that it would be enough to help him come around.

But what if he wouldn't?

The thought made her cold with dread. Would she have caused the death of a friend, in her eagerness to aid her new herd and prove her worth? She'd wanted to help Fawkes too by giving him a nudge forward, so it wouldn't take as much time before he came to the southern desert. She wanted him to stay there, be both her friend and herd brother, but now she might end up loosing him all together.

"I'm sorry for being so persistent" she murmured worriedly, finally breaking the silence after hours of waiting and hoping that he'd come to. Dark muzzle reached out to brush over a silken cheek, warm breath blowing against his skin. "But you could have said something, let me know if you were tired... You could have said no if you didn't want to come. I never meant to drag you here against your will..."

The voice of the raven cracked precariously, and with a thick lump hovering in the throat she turned silent again, raising the head to look around in the faint hope that someone might be close by and able to help.

Should she leave him and get a healer? No, she couldn't. The desert was too big, she would never be able to find her way back to the unicorn in time, even if she did find someone. And from what she'd heard they couldn't do much to help now anyway, because of the gods absence... Sighing desperately the little mare leaned closer to her friend, trying to warm him up where he lay in the cold sand.

"Please, get better" she whispered, close to tears as her head stretched out to rest against his.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Unregistered

Slowly it started coming back to me. I had been walking the line of trees with the glowing lights. I had been trying to head south. I had been looking for food, for warmth, for shelter. Trying to get out of the snow. My limbs had gotten weak, more numb than they ever had by cold, by long hard miles. Since I had not eaten for days, I had blacked out by my body's simple needs I wasn't keeping. It made perfect sense I was dying. What a pathetic way to go. I kept being struck my a dark shadow that hovered over me. I had thought I was following one, but was it just holding me here till it was time? If I was in control I would have gritted my teeth, let out a sound of my frustration. Called out to the unknown. There was something else I couldn't quite hold on to, and it laid just behind my reach.

Skuggi. Yes! I had been trying to find her. Follow her? Letting her lead me? Another long breath found its way into my chest, and I kept trying to move. All at once I didn't feel light, and unharmed. Everything felt heavy, crushed, and a bit more painful. That must mean I was alive. I was torn to be thrilled, or depressed. Apparently, I guess it was not my time.

There was the warmth again, a faint caress on my face. I waited for smell of smoke, but there was none. The muscles in my throat shuffled back dryness. Nothing came out, not for awhile. I laid there like a corpse, not aware of a voice.

Slowly I started to feel my body warm, feel the nerves tingle in a strange way beneath my skin. Unlike when I had had my magic, this didn't hurt the same. Suddenly, I began to cough. A hard awful thing that hurt my chest. I was only aware of a few hushed words. When my eyes rolled open I couldn't see much. I had felt someone near my face. The more my brain woke up, talking to the rest of my body, I knew I was surrounded by something soft. My teeth chomped, my lips opening, I tried to recall how to speak. "Shh--adow?" I begin to cough again, wondering what the hell is wrong with my lungs. My nostrils quiver, taking in that familiar scent, I can faintly see her obsidian face. I try to speak, it ends up being half a grunt I made to stop another cough. I wince at her, with a smile thinking not all angels wear white.

I clear my throat, this time a soft wheeze, and a less forceful cough making its way. Apparently there was something down there I needed rid of, but I wasn't too bothered by it. "So..is this where you planned on leaving me?" I say, a touch of humor to he corners of my eyes, and my smile I couldn't stop smiling.

Image Credits

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

KRI the Resolute</style>
    My friends, I am only flesh and bone, but I won't let you die alone.</style>

Chilly winds carry me home, once again my friend in the dark hours of the night, reflecting in the moonlight.

My body feels sore in general from my recent spars, with the bitter cold of winter aiding in the pangs. All of my training could not reverse my years, in the end, when the cold crowded in on me. However, I feel like it is momentary, even now, as the glow of red sands can be seen in the distance, the great pyre keeping my home illuminated. I cannot breathe away the anxiety in my chest just yet, but at least nothing had tarnished the tower of flames in the heart of my home.

It is not until I am nearly past the flowing grasses of the Heart that I see something rather upsetting on the border of my home. I dip low, allowing my wings to carry me only ten feet from the sands, straining my eyes in the dark of the night to make out a lump of winged black sprawled over a body on the ground. My heart catches in my throat for a dangerous moment as I wonder: had my worries not been unfounded? Had my empire come to some heartache in my absence?

I land upon the sands, their soft hush of a toss forward greeting me. The slap of hooves on the dirt rings forward, making my own announcement to the lady of black as I rush forward at a canter, coming to a gentle stop at the side of Shadow before peering over to her, glancing at the white maned unicorn under her wing.

"Is everything alright?" I ask, quite tired from my journey but holding myself steady, voice confident despite the quake in my chest.

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Shadow
and who shall I say

is calling?

A gasp of relief as she felt the stallion stir beneath her forced its way down her throat, got itself stuck somewhere halfway down and made the black mare cough and hack for a moment before she could reply. A black wing pressed down onto the young stud as she struggled up onto her feet, only to remove itself in order to give him space should he feel like getting up on the feet.

"Stupid Fawkes!" she erupted once she'd caught her breath, ears disappearing back into the ragged mane as a sharp-hoofed front leg stamped irately into the rocky ground. "You scared me half to death! Who's leaving who, by blacking out like that? By the stars and the seven winds, I'm not talking to you anymore."

Huffing and pacing beside the ocean-colored unicorn, the attention of the inky mare was drawn towards the sky as a sound of wind over feathers caught her ears. Looking around to see who was beating the wings, the violet orbs widened at the sight of the short, brown mare that touched down and came cantering towards them - worry apparent on her features, yet blue eyes steady.
"Sultana" the shadow mare murmured in surprise and dipped her head quickly, taken aback by the sudden disappearance of the leader of the herd. She hadn't known the short warrior would be back so soon - granted her knowledge of the geography of Helovia remained flawed, but the sound of 'World's Edge' had made her think of some remote island far up to the north.

"I, well..." she stammered, trying to gather tumultuous thoughts into some semblance of coherency. "This is Fawkes, a friend of mine, who I invited to come and visit. Maybe I was a bit pushy or hasty, I don't know, but just as we came here he just collapsed. I don't know what's wrong.. But he's coming to, it seems." She threw a glance at the stallion, torn between fear and hope and helplessness as she had no idea what to do for him.

Turning her head back to the pale-maned tank of a mare, Skuggi took a deep breath and tried to calm herself down. Her respect for the leader of the Dragon's Throat was immense, but she disliked how she seemed to turn into a stuttering yearling as soon as the older mare turned the gaze at her.

"Pardon me, Sultana" she continued, the voice slightly more steady and coherent this time, "my name is Skuggi - Shadow, in your tongue... perhaps you remember me from the recent gathering." She hoped it wouldn't be her stuttering, timid offer to give details on the disappearance of the gods that was remembered most clearly. There was more to the black raven than that, but so far she had botched the few attempts given to prove it - and this wasn't exactly the most flattering situation to be in either. Please, please let the stupid horn-head wake up and get on his feet soon...

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Unregistered

Having scared her I wanted to laugh, the idea made my lungs hurt alone. Instead I was sure I kept grinning like the fool I was. My blue muscle shivering, very aware I was no draped by the warmth of her wing. Hadn't I felt I was burning moments ago? Light puzzlement etches my brows downward, as I try to listen to her chew me out. I can see black dots creeping in front of my eyes, and I have to close them again, letting my face remain upon the hard ground. "Fine," I muttered, wishing to say a lot more words, ones that might have been better. I lacked the care, and the strength. Since it seems she will not say another word, I try to collect my breathing. Suddenly, I'm really tired and even this dirt patch seemed to make a great pillow. I find myself searching for the void I been in, where it was warm very unaware there was someone else who was coming to see us. Shadow herself seemed to make the ground shake with her displeasure. I have an urgency to get up, comfort her. I think I'm mad at her? Wasn't I? I continue to lie there in a frozen heap, wishing I could go back to sleep instead.

If on cue I open my eyes hearing my name, barely lifting my head to see a dark sand colored mare with what I thought was blond mane. I remember Shadow, how I am not just in some cozy dream. I remember that awful panic of hell, and death. So I manage to keep a bit of the black mare's words in my head, try to decipher what happens next. When her violet eyes find me I can't hide from them, though I try since I feel like a stupid, useless rock. Especially, since it seemed this mare was of great importance. How my mind managed that I didn't know. Maybe, it was the way Shadow spoke.The man in me attempts again to shift my body, but my limbs pretty much stretch uselessly in front of my blue frame. "I'll... be fine if I can get up," I say, wanting so badly to stand for many reasons. Again, I try, managing to up right a single, silver hoof.

@[Kri]
Image Credits