the Rift

[OPEN] 3... 2... 1... lift off,

Amara Posts: 136
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sameira :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire dark
Amara
Trotting along, my other beside me, we walked from the dank Marsh, escaping the tight area. Instead, I traveled across Helovia to find the tall, rolling green hills, perfect for practicing flight. Weaving through trees, I wandered along. I wished Sia was with me, seeing as how we both loved adventure. Maybe I could find her later? But where did she live? She mentioned something about being a Doctor for the Assassins... but where did they live? They could live anywhere in Helovia, which pained me. I wasn't going to go through lots of trouble just to find my friend.

Walking towards the Fields, I noticed the lovely blue flowers that illuminated the Field. They were a brilliant blue color, reminding me of Sia's glowing blue horn and her pretty blue eyes. Frowning, I shook my head. I wasn't lonely, I had Sameira and everyone in the Asylum. I was still alone, still somehow missing something. Maybe it was my family? My true family. The one I was born into. I knew mommy was still with me, still floating around in my head somewhere. But daddy was gone, somewhere far away. I missed him, missed him so. I had forced myself to get used to the grass when I had left the Pirates, forced myself to get used to it.

But the one thing I still hadn't mastered, was flying. It was in my blood, I had the wings to prove it. But they were useless, since I couldn't practice flying in the Marsh because there was no open space. But here in the Fields, I could practice my flight without worrying about crashing into a tree. I climbed up the Field, reaching the top. There was a small lump where I could leap off and fly. Reaching the top of the small hill, I heard mommy's voice guiding me. Take your wings little one, stretch them out, stretch them as far as you can. Tilt them up, tilt them down, now reach them towards the ground. Reach them for the sky, for me. I followed mommy's instructions, unfolding my wings. My dolly fell out, but Sameira swooping in and caught her in her jaws. I didn't mind, since I had grown apart from dolly, I just carried her around for no reason. While Sameira rolled around with dolly, I stretched my wings, practicing flapping and turning. Good my little lassie, you're doing good. Now let's see you try to fly. Just get a good head start, and jump. Try to curve back around, flap your wings if you must. I did as I was told, backing up before running forward, spreading out my wings. I leaped into the air, mommy's voice telling me what position to get into. Tuck in your legs, keep your forelegs up towards your chest a little. Don't let your hind legs drag behind you or you'll be slowed down. Bend your neck forward a little, not too much. Point your nose... good! It took me only a few moments to assume position, my tail streaming behind me as I flew. I felt my hear leap with excitement as I soared. I flapped my wings, trying to maintain speed as I let myself glide. I tilted my left wing to the right, the right wing tilting up. I leaned to the side, stumbling a little. Mommy's voice chimed in. Oops! Keep those wings straight after you turn or you'll be flying in circles! And keep that hind leg tucked! Oh! And no looking down! Haha, no looking down! Like I would do that... Maybe if I take just a peek below me... no! I made sure not to look down, instead I looked straight ahead, looking further into the night.

I spotted Sameira, who was barking and howling at me. I smiled, about to call to Sameira, until I realized how close to the ground I was. I flailed, shooting my forelegs out too late, my legs folding beneath me as I tumbled and rolled in the tall grass, a few sharp blades of grass biting at my skin. My amber eyes caught everything, the dark landscape flashing before my eyes as I rolled through the grass. Feathers were flung, tears shed. I lay there in the grass for a moment, pain. Pain everywhere. I had managed to fold my wings, but a few feathers had escaped. I blinked, looking up at the sky. Suddenly everything went dark.

No, I wasn't knocked out. Sameira was just looming over me, stepping on my face. She looked at me with her blue eyes, whimpering a little. I nudged her off of my face, her paws scratching me. I rolled onto my belly, raising my stomach off the grass. Sameira bounded around me, barking at me, probably asking if I was okay. Smiling at her, I nodded. "I'm fine, just a little beaten up. I guess I have to work on my landings..." I looked at Sameira and smiled, bumping my nose against her forehead.

[[Amara learning to fly :D mommy's teaching her <33 trying to keep pegs only unless an asylum member wants to butt in <33]]

Murdock Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 9 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8 HP: 61.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Gaz

The fields seemed to be his preferred haunting grounds these days. Perhaps it was something about its proximity to the sky or its openness that drew him to it, but he always found himself coming back to the gentle slopes of the alpine meadow. Now that spring had finally touched Helovia, winter’s chill had subsided somewhat, though the darkness prevented any warmth from settling in the air. In the sun’s absence, the grass had hardly regained its liveliness and structure, and instead still hung limply across the dirt among the vibrant moon-flowers. The fields, though still beautiful to him, appeared dead and uninviting despite no longer bearing their burden of snow.

Murdock had sheltered beneath a tree for what he guessed had been the night, though there was hardly any indication that morning had fallen upon them. The Foothills had been left in disarray as sleep patterns were uncoordinated and patrols had begun to die out, leaving their fearless leaders scrambling for organization. He knew he was needed back at home, but he craved the cool, fresh air of the mountains and the freedom that came with wide open spaces. Being able to see the moon and stars once more after what felt like months in darkness made him never want to look away from it, as if he was afraid it might disappear again. Perhaps it would, but for now he would enjoy its presence and pray that light would find them once more.

The fields felt lonely and empty in the darkness, as they often did, but Murdock soon noticed he was not alone. A distant light moved along the tree-line, its path leading it in his direction as it climbed a small hill. The golden shadow moved slowly and carefully at first, and then seemed to flail about ungracefully as if it had been stung by a bee. He watched in silence, curiously looking on as the little shape took flight. It floated gracefully for a moment, leveling out and gaining speed before it came crashing back down to the ground.

His interest piqued, he set off down the slope toward the golden light, squinting through the darkness until he could make out the shapes of a little chestnut foal and a black hellhound. Despite the creature’s youth, Murdock had never had a pleasant experience with such a beast, and so for a moment he hesitated among a bed of frost-wilted flowers. He tipped his head down toward the filly where she lay in the grass, her tiny wings spread out across her back as the pup stood over her protectively. He supposed the girl had been trying to fly, though apparently she hadn’t had much luck.

He remembered his first few flights as though they had happened yesterday, but it had been years since his first attempts at getting into the air. It was always such an accomplishment to finally master the balance and technique as a foal, and he had fortunately caught on quite quickly. He hadn’t been graceful by any means, but his light build and awkwardly long wings had aided him in ways he had never expected them to. Now, flying was almost all his heart had room for and he suspected it was much the same for any other pegasus.

He smiled unthreateningly at the pair as she spoke to the young hound, nodding his head slightly in agreement with her words. “The most important part of any flight is the landing. Don’t be discouraged. It can take many tries to master it.” He took a few steps closer to them, keeping an eye on the pup, though he tried to mask his nervousness. Of course, this time the hellhound didn’t belong to a supremacist unicorn, but one could never be too cautious. “I’m Murdock, Executioner of the Foothills. I could help you get started if you like, with flying I mean. A little help could go a long way.”

"talk talk talk"

[ Murdock's on the job ;) ]

If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?

Image Credit
x

Harmony Posts: 137
Deceased
Filly :: Equine :: 16.4 HH :: 5 § Frostfall
Wild.

Harmony

Harmony wondered her favorite land, climbing a small rise, she breathed in the scent of the beautiful Heavenly Fields. The moon flowers lit up the field, providing little, but pleasing light. Mixed with the moon, together they made a perfect pair, shedding light upon each other, making it all much more extravagant. The dead grass was no nuisance to the beautiful moon flowers. In Harmony's mind, they where went to be together. If not, it would look like a garbage dump with Christmas lights. Although, she didn't know what any of that was, her mother had once mentioned it. She didn't care what it meant, she had no interest. She heaved a sigh and walked on, wondering like a lost filly.

She perked her harks, becoming aware for any other beings. She caught sight of to pegasi. She smiled. She have always thought that these being where the most beautiful of all. Their wings was what appealed to Harmony the most. She had always wished to have the feeling of feathers at her side. To be able to use her wings, stretch them out, and fly. It would never happen though, she was just a plain old boring horse. She started to walk towards the pair. When she noticed the hell hound, she was taken aback, she really didn't like companions, they freaked her out. Harmony let out a small shudder and kept walking, caking the smile across her lips.

When she was close enough she spoke to them.

Hello, I'm Harmony. Who are you?

She smiled wide at them both, blinking kindly. When her blue orbs opened, she set her harks in a relaxed position. Resting her left hind leg she waited.

The breeze ruffled her long forelock that had grown to the tip of her nose, with a slight curl. She flicked it out of her eyes, so it set away from her right eye, and somewhat over and away from her left. Her small dainty hooves sunk into the damp soil, sending a chill from tail head to muzzle. She shivered, her winter coat providing her no warmth, for it had already started breaking loose. The moonlight was no help, it provided no warmth.

Harmony found herself wishing for the sun. She had never thought of praying to the Gods, but tonight, she will. She will pray long and hard for the sun. She will pray until it comes back.

@[Murdock] @[Amara]

Word count: 419

Sorry for chiming in, she probably isn't wanted here (:

The life ahead can only be glorious if you
learn to live in total harmony with the Lord..

Amara
I had flipped over, so I lay there on my back, oblivious of the stranger approaching. I was too busy thinking. At least, trying to. What had I done wrong? My flight seemed pretty good. At least, I thought it was. But I did something wrong. Was it because I had taken my concentration off flying at the end? My landing was obviously a messy problem that needed to be cleaned up, so I should practice that next. Sameira started growling, signaling there was someone or something approaching. Standing up, legs a little wobbly, I looked at the horse who approached. Sameira continued to park, high pitched little barks. Puppy barks.

But this horse was a little weird. He was glowing, or, looked like it. Was it magic or an illusion? I couldn't tell, but it was pretty cool. He had wings, and the feathers were glowing a magnificent greenish hue. Sameira barked a bit more before I nudged her with my hoof. She looked at me, her ears down in a guilty manner.

“The most important part of any flight is the landing. Don’t be discouraged. It can take many tries to master it.”

I looked at the stranger and all his glowing feathers. Maybe he could teach me to fly and land! He was a pegasus, so why not help me out? I looked at him, opening my little maw. "Could... could you teach me?" It was a big request for a stranger, but I really want to learn how to fly. Of course, I'd have to figure out how the heck Sameira could fit on my back, maybe I could find a crafter to make me a sack or something to carry Sameira around?

The strange stallion introduced himself as Murdock, Executioner of the Foothills. Nodding my head, I opened my mouth, speaking in response. "Well, Mr. Murdock, I'm Amara... and this little pup is my companion, Sameira. And could you please help me with flying?" I smiled at him, happy to have met a pegasus at a time like this. (What a coincidence!)

I spotted another horse approaching, this one not too older than me. She introduced herself as Harmony, and asked who we were. Smiling, pleased to meet a new horse, I answered her. "I'm Amara, and this pup is my companion, Sameira." I looked at Mr. Murdock, waiting for him to introduce himself. Harmony stood there, and I turned to Murdock, a smile on my lips.

I was a little excited, hoping this stallion would teach me the basics of flight. And then I could show Sia my aerial moves! And learning to fly was just the beginning of learning to fight in the air! Inside my excitement began to bubble close to the top. I really wanted to learn to fly! And this was my opportunity, so I took it.
@[Murdock] & @[Harmony]

Gaz

The young girl reminded him very much of himself when he had first begun to fly. It was always an ungraceful business when one started learning, but it quickly progressed to something natural and easy. This filly was meant to fly, as was the rest of her species, and soon enough she would get the hang of it just like so many others. Of course, the darkness did little to improve visibility and learning conditions, but nonetheless he would do his best to help her. Provided one approached it with the appropriate personality, almost anything was possible.

“Of course I can,” Murdock smiled down at her, taking a step back to allow her some space to arrange herself. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Amara and Sameira,” he added hesitantly, taking a glance at the young hellhound as it barked at him once more. He had no doubt that the girl could keep her dog under control, but he was still wary of the creature. He was not scared of many things, but after one too many unpleasant experiences with vicious canines, he wasn’t letting his guard down.

As Amara lifted herself to her feet, the soft sound of footfalls drew Murdock’s attention behind them. Another filly approached, this one lacking both wings and a horn, but wearing a bright smile upon her face. He nodded to the paint in greeting, stepping back and turning to face her. “Nice to meet you, Harmony. I’m Murdock,” he dipped his head in a slight bow. “I’m going to be helping Amara learn to fly. You’re more than welcome to watch if you wish.”

Turning back to the young chestnut, he stepped up to her side. “Give it another try. This time, try to keep your weight centered and stretch your wings out as far as you can,” he opened his wings to demonstrate, spreading his feathers apart to increase the surface area. “Take a running start, and once you think you’ve gained enough speed, open up your wings. I’ll be right beside you,” he nodded to her, taking a step down the hill. “Don’t think about it too hard. It should come naturally.” He offered a smile to Harmony, stretching out his muscles as he waited for Amara to lead the way.

"talk talk talk"

[ Running low on muse D: Next post will be better! ]

Image Credit
x

Amara
His response filled me with joy, my eyes widening. I felt my stomach flutter, the idea of being able to fly making me want to bounce around like a rabbit. Wait until Sikeax sees me flying! I can be the eyes in the sky when we're going on adventures! Yeah, that sounded fun. I looked intently at Murdock, amber eyes sweeping over the stallion. His voice drew me to look at the mare, who he said was welcome to watch. With that, he turned to me. He told me to try again, this time I should try to keep my weight centered and my wings stretched as far as they could go.

After nodding my head, I stepped up to the ledge, backed up a little, and galloped forward. I threw myself into the air, wings stretched out. I strained myself to pull my wings out as far as they would go, attempting to center my balance at the same time. I let my mind go, as Murdock said this should come naturally. I grunted, trying not to concentrate so much. I looked for Murdock, but as I did, I began wobbling. I stopped, turning my head, gazing at the ground that was coming at me. I felt a little better to know Murdock was there to correct my faults.

My mind drifted, and suddenly, I was spiraling out of control. I screeched, realizing that while I was thinking, I had loosened my legs, which had offset my balance. I squealed as the earth came closer and closer. I threw out my legs, which caught most of my weight. I had shut my eyes, not knowing when the ground was coming to me. I realized I didn't want to hit the earth again, so I let my mind go and curled up my legs. I let myself free, tilting my wings up. I narrowly missed the ground, my heart thumping. I looked back at Murdock. "Did you see that!?" I squealed, happy that I was still in the air. "Umm... but.... uh... how do I get down mister Murdock?" I asked him, curious as to how the hell I was going to get down from here. I looked nervously at him, wishing he would speak quickly, I couldn't fly forever.

@[Murdock]

Gaz

Murdock watched as the chestnut threw herself forward with renewed enthusiasm, her tiny legs racing across the frosted grass as she gained momentum. He recalled his first flight; the sensation of speed before you rose of the ground and the brief feeling of weightlessness as the air lifted you up. The novelty never wore off, no matter how many times he had taken flight and no matter how many times he had watched others do the same. Nothing compared to seeing the contours of the planet from thousands of feet up and nothing could ever fill him with more joy. Well, almost nothing.

Without hesitation, he matched her speed. He covered the same amount of ground in far less strides, and within seconds he was in flight at her side. He kept his head turned toward her, his eyes watching her movements as his wings took care to remain clear of her path. It seemed her determination had been restored, and now a look of confidence had replaced the uncertainty on her face. "Very good!" He called out over the wind, rolling slightly to the right to give her more space. "Just shift your weight a little to the left..." he began, but was quickly cut off.

Suddenly, Amara was spiralling out of control. Her wings waved wildly in the air as she rapidly lost what little altitude she had gained. She had become too lost in the beauty of flight, allowing her mind to drift from focus for one second too long. Immediately, he turned toward her. There was little he could do to save her from the fall, as attempting to 'catch' her might only cause them both more injury. "Spread your wings! Just relax," He tried to calm her, but his advice was evidently not needed.

Just as the ground raced up toward her flailing legs, she recovered gracefully. Her tiny amber wings had spread once more to catch the crisp spring air, and again she was flying. Murdock veered away from her as their paths converged, offering a broad smile to the filly as she called out to him. "Well done! Very well done indeed." Though he had no experience in teaching others to fly, he found he quite liked it. It felt good to see someone else make progress, especially when you were the one to help them along.

"Landing is the hard part," he began as he looked toward her, "but don't be discouraged. It takes everyone a while to get it mastered." Beating his wings against the wind, he tilted his weight back to slow himself and match her speed. "Just slow yourself down like this...and then hold this speed as you descend", he began to loose altitude, gradually sinking down toward the earth gently, as if the air was holding him up. "Stretch your legs out, and at the last second beat your wings so you touch down softly." He flared with his wings, his hooves touching down lightly in the grass. Looking back at his student, he waited to watch her progress. He knew she would do well.

(Sorry it took me so long to respond! I should have a bit more time now, so expect responses more regularly :) )

"talk talk talk"

Image Credit
x