the Rift

Bird on the Ground

Ace Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Ace walked slowly through the forest with his wings tucked neatly into his sides. His ears were pricked forwards and were constantly rotating, listening to everything from the dead twigs crunching and crackling underfoot, to the small squirrel nibbling on an acorn sat in the tree he just passed. As he looked around, pairs of eyes glimmered out from tree hollows. A gentle breeze blew through his mane, carrying on it the strong smell of rotting wood. The stallion inhaled its smell and continued on; enjoying the sound of his tan hooves trudging through the small plants that grew on the floor.

He lifted his head and looked up at the dark sky. The moonlight only pierced the thick canopy in places, and so the light that hit his tan grey coat was dappled, and danced across him as he ambled forth. Eventually Ace saw a small clearing amongst the trees, and spiralled his way through them to get to the little glade. It was cooler when he was out of the trees; he was less protected from the chilly breeze that gently tugged at strands of his melanoid mane. The only sign of life was an obsidian crow sat on the branches of a small, twig like tree. The bird flicked it’s head around to Ace, eyeing him briefly before giving a piercing caw. He pinned his ears back against his skull. Crows were the only bird Ace didn’t like, there was something odd and eerie about them that he found unsettling, so surged towards the tree, thrashing his wings wildly. It worked, and after giving another loud caw the crow flew off into the darkness.

Now he was alone. There must be someone about, he thought, glancing around him. Just trees. The grullo horse sighed and began on into the forest again. He decided it was best to just keep walking until he found another horse; his wings were already too tired from flying for most of the day.

Antheia Posts: 129
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 4
Clo.

A n t h e i a
from caring comes courage..

I walked courageously through the Threshold, my head tilting high. I knew I would find someone here, for many horses wandered these lands every minute of the day, or night. A smirk crossed my face as I looked up between the tree, gazing at the dark sky that only had a few stars and a moon painted on it. I guess you could say I was on a mission, to repay the World's Edge for inviting me into their home by going out and recruiting as many horses I could get my hooves on. Though, it wasn't easy, other herds wanted members too. But there was one tiny easy part, to stay away from the unicorns. The Basin usually got them all, or the ones that were racist anyway, the other ones were up for grabs and that was where I would come in. Yes, I had already recruited one. Or two? Or was it maybe three? Who knew. I surely didn't, I never kept track of how many I had brought home with me. I didn't see the point. All I knew was to bring them home with me and then make sure they stayed happy and stayed with the Edge.
For sure I didn't want anyone to drop out, but it wasn't really my decision to make, so I stayed out of it. It wasn't part of my business to buck right into their lives, everyone would call me right up rude, and I didn't want that at all. I was suppose to be the happy and generous one around here, since it seemed everyone was down by this darkness. But not me! I was probably the happiest horse in all of Helovia! The winds were perfect and got me right up in the mood, and with no sun, I didn't shed a sweat off of my pretty little coat.
I do wish the sun would return though. I needed some more happy friends besides Kahlua and Harmony. Yes, I did love them, especially Harmony, they were my friends, how could I not? But I wanted more! Two was never enough for me, I loved having friends to talk to and I wanted to become more known in the wondrous place. I wanted to be the queen! Speaking of queen, I needed to go see Mirage sometime. There was so many good compliments about her, and I had yet to meet this mysterious DrangonHeart, or so they called her. Though, I wanted to explore the places of Helovia first, there must be so many adventures out there waiting for me to finish them off! But my first task was to finish what I started, repaying the Edge with so many new arrivals. I could never get enough of them, and now I was out here walking blind in the darkness looking for another.
I never once ran into a tree, I had been in this forest too many times, I knew the whole terrain. The moon also led me through the black scene, guiding my way towards this creature I was looking for. Crows squawked and all I could think was 'so annoying'. If I had yelled at them to beat it, I might've scared away what I was trying to come to me. I wanted to turn around and go home, I had been walking for an hour. Or two? Oh gods, here we go again. Or maybe it was three? I didn't really know, but I did know I was tired. But how could that be true? I wasn't suppose to get tired, I was suppose to stay hyper and happy. Maybe it was just Harmony? She was a real handful, I could tell you that right now. But I have to say, it was fun taking care of such a precious little thing.
I kept on walking, looking around at my surroundings. I soon saw a shadow cross in front of me. It seemed to be a frame of a equine but I sneaked closer, noticing it was a Pegasus stallion. A very handsome one of course. Although, that seemed to be how I always labeled the males around here, handsome. But maybe it was because they were only that around these parts? Only handsome and cute? I guess I hadn't met all the stallions yet because there had to be at least one unattractive male out there? Wasn't their always? Well, I trotted joyfully up beside him, bumping into his side slightly. "Hello!" I shouted softly at him with a smile. "I'm Antheia, one of many that call the World's Edge their home, including myself. Is there anyway I could help you?" I chuckled and let a soft nicker escape my kissers.
Was it bad that I was always happy? For surely not. At least one happy soul wandered these lands. Well, Kahlua and Harmony also. I didn't like long lost souls, I liked the happy ones, all the little happy hearts running around with energy. I loved that scene, with a bunch of little ponies running around crazy with their small heads heads held high. I just wished I could see that view at this moment with the darkness hovering over Helovia. Now that would be a site to see. But, now to focus on this little mister winged buddy here. He needs to hurry up with his answer so I can head home with him and check on little Harmony.
I, really, was in no rush at all, there was nothing to do in a sheet of darkness. There was no butterflies or dragonflies to chase around, no warm ponds to swim around in, and I had no wings so I couldn't soar through the sky like this young one could. All I could do was go and recruit others, though, it was actually not that bad, I got to meet many others and make new friends. So I guess you could say I was actually really busy in a fun way. I guess?

tag; @[Ace] and Open
word count; 1,002
occ; Boo ya! My second 1k post! <3

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
give me your eyes for just one second,
give me your eyes so i can see
everything that i keep missing

How long had it been since I'd roamed? How long had it been since I'd attempted to take in the world outside of the confines of the Throat? I did not know for certain, but I did know that the path I was taking was ever so gifted with the hint of familiarity that allowed me to keep moving. It was nothing like the lands that I still were tempted to call my actual home - the land I had ruled for thousands of years - but at least I was starting to memorize these lands and create the ever faithful map in my skull from the vibrations that spread across the ground like little rumbles of thunder.

The scents that permeated my nostrils were familiar but ever different. The fresh snow was starting to go away - as the vibrations proved with ease - and it was beginning to have the scent of a sweet rainfall as the frozen liquid started to melt away and drip down to the sodden earth which my hooves were forever digging into. The scent of the trees that had barely any leaves left mixed with the almost mint like aroma of the evergreens. The new animals were pulling out of their hibernation with fear in their steps, so I could only assume that the sun had yet to return completely, if at all. Thinking about that, I hadn't actually felt the calming tendrils of the sun as it radiated across my back and brought the yellow-gold undertones that could only be seen in the light, enhancing my white markings - or so I had been told since I had never been granted the gift of sight to see for myself.

And still, something ached inside my soul as I edged closer and closer to the border that was still buzzing ferociously in my cranium. I knew what it was. I knew that it was the missing hole in my heart from the red hawk that had deserted me. I no longer had the ability to communicate with him, and he was no where to be found. How I longed to look back up at the stars and believe that there was something out there to really take care of all of us, but I still needed the proof. I had heard of the Gods - and of the Gods' sudden disappearance - but I would not truly believe it until I had seen at least one of them. Or, should I say felt their undeniable presence. Sohalia had claimed she was marked with the magic of forging, bending the metal to her will in order to create the border, but had lost it. So, there must be something messing with everything that was around us. My only belief, though, was that it was the dome that must be surrounding these lands messing with all the connections to the magic we had once honed and the companions that were a part of our souls.

I swished my long, silken tail and continued to stretch out my legs. The closer to the forest I had gotten the stronger my hooves had pounded against the land. My mind mapping out the land perfectly for the few feet radius around me, a little hazier for the next few yards, and then just a blurry image for the surrounding miles. I had picked up on something, cautious hooves placing themselves delicately between twigs so as to not trip as I slowed myself down to a graceful trot. Wings. Huge wings. Instantly, my entire frame stopped and stood stark still. My audits perked up, attempting to take in the sound. I knew, for the moment, that they were locked upon the ground, but for how long I was not certain. And, if for some reason, that creature was given a reason to take flight I would have no way of knowing exactly where the equine creature was going.

Then, I felt the presence of another horse, this one seemed to be adorned with something upon it's cranium that seemed sharper - like a horn - but until I moved closer I could not be too certain. As I edged in closer I was careful to stay where I believed the trees would hide my frame, just trying to get close enough to feel their distinct frames and decide just how huge they were and what sort of a threat they might be. When I was finally close enough it seemed that they had run into each other, the one with the horn (turns out my assumption had been correct) had bumped into the side of the stag with his huge wings. She spoke and offered her name, which I stored away in my memory as well as her stature and movement. She seemed to move as if she were high on something (perhaps someone had decided to experiment the herbs upon her and had found the marijuana this time around).

Finally, I allowed myself to begin to emerge from the complete protection of the trees, blind eyes glazing over their figures as if taking in their appearance without ever locking onto any portion of them. There was no strange deformities (at least the vibrations said so) and since I could not see colour I would not be able to stick onto the colour aspect of it even if I had wished to. "Pardon me for intruding - ma'am, sir." I said, words soft, the air of authority that came from my times as an Alpha forever prominent in my speech in such a way that I could not get rid of it. It wasn't as if I was demanding respect, it just spoke the volumes of knowledge I seemed to have gathered over the few thousand years my frame had been allowed to wander this earth. "But it seems as though someone has just crossed that horribly annoying border. It's vibrations are radiating off of your pelt, sir." I spoke, tilting my head to the side in an inquiry before taking in the scent of the mare who said she was from the Edge. "My name is Rasta and I am a Dragon's Throat Informant. Though, as you can see, I was not granted the precious gift of wings that most where I reside have." Slowly, my voice trailed off as I allowed my frame to stand up a little taller. "Perhaps we could off you a home there as well, that is if you don't wish to go toward the Edge instead. But, please, do tell - have your travels been well?"

1112 words
@[Ace] and just a heads up, since Rasta isn't a tier 1 or 2 member she can't automatically accept Ace as a Throat member, so once the thread is finished I'll request a switch to Outcast so that we can thread in the Throat to get a ranking official who can.

Image Credits

Ace Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Ace now walked very briskly through the darkness. The crow had left him anxious, and he’d let it get to him and grow in his mind. He was becoming paranoid of his surroundings; every eye peering out of a hole in the tree was some demon that had come to possess him, the simple outline of a bush in the darkness was a huge wolf, waiting to pounce and sink it’s white teeth into his flesh. His pace quickened to a trot. Ace snorted and flicked his tail. He was being ridiculous, he knew he was. This stallion was no coward, afraid of the dark, trembling at shadows like a little foal, but he just couldn’t shake the uneasy feeling that pervaded him ever since he saw the black eyed crow in the little glade. It must just be because I’m nervous about finding a new herd, he reassured himself. “I am not afraid” he said aloud, as if trying to prove it to the imaginary demons lurking in the trees, or the wolf prowling around him that was not really there. He made himself slow down; he’d end up crashing into a tree at this rate.

Ace did calm down, and the demons and wolves and evil creatures disappeared too, but he was still on edge, and sweating quite a lot, even in the cold when some snow still lay upon the ground. His cerulean orbs flicked quickly from side to side, in front of him, on the dark ground, scanning the area for any sign of movement, or danger. His ears twitched, trying to pick up on every sound. Brittle twigs crunched underneath his hooves, a bat flew past, he could hear the beat of it’s wings, and something else. He could hear footfalls that did not belong to him. He nervously flicked his tail and carried on, promptly quickening his pace again. His breathing got heavy. There was something close by. Ace was about to stop when it touched his side. Ace reared up in the air and let out a shrill whinny. He was going to kick out when he realised it was a mare.

Embarrassed, he cleared his throat “Er, my apologies first of all miss.” His breathing was still fast and he could feel the little beads of sweat that had formed on his grullo coat. Antheia had unusual white markings on her dark pelt, and a striped black and white horn to match. “Antheia, my name is Ace, I’m afraid I’m out of a home at the moment. World’s Edge you say? I’ve heard many tales of the horses that live there. Is it true you have a dragon captive in your woods, that helps fight your battles?” he smiled. Stories were indeed passed through the lands of Mirage’s ability to form into a great golden dragon, but sometimes they were twisted. “It’s possible you could help me. I agreed with my friend that I’d join the Dragon’s Throat herd and meet her there, but I am yet to find a horse from there, maybe you know of one?” Thankfully he had calmed down now, and the sweat evaporated by the breeze.

Another voice sounded from behind. A pretty cremello mare that was smaller than Antheia stepped out from behind the trees. Her mane and tail were long and silvery in colour, and Ace noticed a shining white mark on her haunches. In fact, since her coat was so light, her whole body seemed to glow and stand out in the dark. Border, wha- vibrations? Ace thought, looking down at his hide, then back up the mare, confused. He let it drop and smiled warmly at the mare, unbeknown to him that she could not see it. A Dragon’s Throat resident, at last, he thought. “Hello Rasta, my name is Ace. And these?” he gestured to his aching wings “Gift though they are, they can be a nuisance sometimes, especially in tight spaces like this, they always manage to get caught on something” The stallion had already managed to collect several twigs, countless leaves and almost a birds nest while in these woods.
“I’m glad you offered. It would be a pleasure to join Dragon’s Throat, thank you.” Finally, he would have a safe place to stay, a home, and surely his best friend would not be too far behind him. “It’s certainly been tiring, but mostly I’ve had no trouble. Have you lived in the Throat all your life?”

Khaos Posts: N/A
Unregistered
[occ; Just pretend Antheia sorta tuned out and left, I kinda having troubles with my muse lately. c:]

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
give me your eyes for just one second,
give me your eyes so i can see
everything that i keep missing

As the mare bumped up against his side he seemed to jump out of the way, body flailing as he reared up only to realize at the last second that he was going to end up kicking a mare. Instantly, it seemed as though his entire frame tightened, the vibrations curling around Rasta's frame and allowing her to notice just where he weight was going to land - a couple inches away from the mare. He cleared his throat and offered his apologies though his heart seemed to be racing as he attempted to calm down his breathing.

Confusion crossed Rasta's face as she listened to his knowledge of the Edge - knowledge she didn't even possess. Dragon's? One would think that the Dragon's would reside in the Throat, after all they were entitled "Dragon's Throat" for a reason. But, shaking that off she perked her ears up at the mention of her new home, the one that she wasn't sure she could actually call a home as of yet.

At her mention of vibrations she seemed to have returned the favor of the confusion, but he seemed to shrug it off and return a smile, as minute as the vibrations were to tell her that he actually was at the moment. Ace. Good, she would remember that name, and so she stored it in her memory. Instinctively, she stepped back a step or two as he gestured to his wings, uncertain if he was going to open them or not to 'show' her these creations. He spoke that he was glad she had offered, saying it would be a pleasure to join with a thanks falling off of his lips.

A gentle smile met Rasta's lips as she managed a tiny laugh, "Still. I'm sure they are more helpful than not." she mused before he turned the question upon her, asking if she had lived in the Throat all her life. Oh. No. God, no. That would have been way too long. "This way, we'll talk as we walk - easier to cover more ground that way, since I don't have the ability to fly and shorten the journey," With a gentle swish of her tail, she turned on her haunches and motioned in the general direction of the South as she began to weave through the trees. "As far as living in the Throat for my life I will have to disappoint you and say that: no, I haven't. I crossed the border into these lands of Helovia not that long ago. See, I used to rule my own land, and have a hawk as my companion - but upon crossing the border here the connection was severed. It's a long journey, but I'm certain you will enjoy the Throat. she finished off allowing her tiny frame to step out into a delicate, extended trot, cautiously placing her hooves so as to not trip upon any strewn branches or step into a crack.

They would be home soon...

508 words
@[Ace] I'm putting in the request for a change to Outcast and putting up the welcoming thread in the Throat in just a second so that you can officially be welcomed ;3
Image Credits