the Rift

[OPEN] How sweet, the stars

Roland Posts: 230
Aurora Basin Phantom atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 8 yrs HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Glo

It was his ideal tapestry of peace; an embellished sky above, and down below, the sea. Wavering on the edge of the cliff, disorderly in the silence, Roland admired the dance of moonlight upon the ocean’s violent surface, the crash of waves against jagged rock rolling across the swell of wind like a lullaby. A frozen wasteland sprawled out beside and behind him, uneven and rocky, bathed in pale sterling and completely empty. Now that spring had come the drifts of snow were beginning to thin and melt, and what little remained from the winter ghosted across the stone like a band of mischievous specters, twisting around the stallion’s legs and scattering through the air like ash.

Roland waited with an almost breathless impatience for the warmth to return and melt the ice from his mind as much as the mountains of his home, for he was tired of the misery that thrived in the cold and lurked in every shadowed crevice. He had woken to the moon, days ago, just as he had woken to sudden darkness mere months earlier and found his home swallowed by a starless void, no hint of comfort to cling to besides a single light emanating from the Haruspex’s cave.

It would be impossible to describe the joy that had overtaken him when he first opened his eyes to light; not the pale, golden luminescence that wound throughout the herd lands and rippled in the waters of the lake, there as a festering reminder that their Gods had lifted anchor and cast off, but a cool and familiar radiance that seemed to smooth the craggy edges of every uneven surface in sight. Their moon had returned, borne by its chariot of twinkling stars, coaxing new flora to bloom amidst the frost and frigid air. If their Goddess had returned to Helovia, what of the other deities? For once, Roland found himself optimistic of their return and wished he had not tossed aside his comrade’s words of hope with such passionate disbelief.

Now, luckily, there was more to invest his hope in, to cling to as if his mortality was being threatened. In odd places, where the layer of ice did not permeate the ground, strange life was blossoming. Roland had first encountered the glowing flowers by the hot springs’ bank, faces tilted towards the moon and petals curving downwards. He had noted with amusement that they seemed to shrug, postures askew with leaves curling expectantly, lifted in repentance. It was the first glimmer of happiness he had felt in a long time.

Above him, the moon hung over the cliffs like a watchful guardian, curling swaths of silver silk around his hide and scattering fractured white light across every surface until the entire world seemed to glow with prosperity. If he could drape himself in all the silver that he saw then he would never want for gold again.

Push your luck if it makes you a promise
that turns con men honest.

Image Credit

Seiren Posts: 43
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5
Adoptable

SEIREN

Your life means nothing to me.

It was unlikely that she would ever go to her brother for comfort again. She HATED his guts and only saw the weakness in his being. When their herd needed him the most he ran, ran away from his responsibility, ran away from his own life. She didn’t want to think about d’Art anymore though; she wanted to feel relieved for once. Taking a deep sigh, she entered the frosted crest beneath her hooves. The soft touch of the earth beneath her sent chills tingling down her spine. The thin layer of snow made slight crunch every step she took, leaving a soft embedded print behind. The moonlight illuminated the empty area bringing a faint light to shadow the objects. Spring was here and was starting to melt nature’s cooling gift. Seiren kept calm as she breathed in and out admiring the view. Her nostrils formed a puff of clouds from the chilling night. Her orbs sparkled as if they were one of the millions of stars up above. Moving her cranium towards the sky, she could not think. The scene was breathtaking.

The moon shimmered in the darkened sky. The rays from the moonlight touched Seiren’s back allowing her to shimmer along with the moonlight. Even though her eyes were black, the rays made them have a sparkle to them. Layers of silk and diamonds made up the remains of the beautiful earth which surrounded her. It was so perfect… Seiren had never seen or experienced such a breathtaking night. As she drew closer towards the water’s edge, the lazy ocean hugged the shore. Its crystal like shine massaged the sands gently as they drew a perfect rhythm. Seiren walked with elegance as she examined each little detail of the water’s work. It brought a calming reassurance that everything would be alright, everything was perfect.

Out of the corner of her black eye, she saw a figure moving. It was wrapped with shades of golden, and as she looked closer had a nice build. She wasn’t sure who it was or what they were doing here, but she wasn’t in the mood to argue with someone. Taking a slight breath, she pursued forward to actually see what the figure was before anything else. Moving swiftly, she didn’t want to startle the figure, so she stopped at a reasonable distance once she could see him fully. A handsome figure he was glowing as the moonlit rays touched his coat. His eyes were a striking color of an electric blue which had a kind look to them. His mane covered his neck with strands of golden silk. The best part was, he was a unicorn. Taking a breath of relief, she suddenly found herself searching for her voice. “Beautiful night, isn’t it?” She called coolly.

Seiren talk blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

[Image: tablesei.png]

Glo

The sound of footfalls reached his ears from a distance and Roland tensed, head turning slowly to seek out the new arrival. It had been a while since he had left the safety of the Basin, and he was still wary of what might lurk in the strange darkness that had fallen upon them. His eyes almost swept over the dappled mare as she approached, the moonlight playing across her features in such a way that she blended seamlessly into the backdrop of shadowed stone and silver granite. A wave of stars meandered across the black sky behind her, flashing jubilantly as if they had never left the fabric of space. Roland tensed imperceptibly as she moved closer, her face unrecognizable in the darkness, but he assumed they had never crossed paths before.

The silver mare’s voice carried across the snow dusted rocks with the slightest edge of an echo, her greeting harmless and yet not openly friendly. Roland looked away from her, casting his gaze upon the rolling sea once more as it fought with the cliffs below them and wondering if that was her attempt at affable small talk or if she had approached him for another purpose. He was going to keep his guard up for the time being; as of late he hardly trusted his own family let alone a stranger on a dark night. But he would play the part of a good humored gentleman for the time being and wait to learn her true nature.

It is.” He finally agreed, if you like that sort of thing, for he would have much preferred the light of the sun beaming down upon them. Still, the silver sheen against the ice and the pallid reflection of the moon against the frothing waters was not unappealing, and Roland could appreciate the beauty of night even when he longed for the heat of day. The Impersonator’s tail curled against his hocks as he shifted his weight upon the slippery ground, a breath of cool wind tousling his forelock. The breeze smelled faintly of salt with the strong, sharp scent of ice and snow interwoven in the tang of brine, sticking in the back of his throat. “What brings you to the edge of the earth?” He cast her a sidelong glance, smiling diffidently in a silent invitation for her to come closer. It seemed uncomfortably formal to speak at such a distance to one another.

My name is Roland, by the way. Aurora Basin Impersonator,” he introduced himself with a slight nod, deciding there was no need to be cryptic even if he wasn’t going to welcome her at his side with open arms. Perhaps he was being unfairly suspicious, for the dark had led him to think foolish things before, but he would find himself at greater fault to have been caught off guard than to have expected a ruse all along.

(So sorry for the wait, I’ve been ridiculously busy lately!)

Image Credit

Outcast
Adoptable

SEIREN

She drew her breath calmly as she watched him with a sharp eye. His gaze seemed to travel toward hers, until he looked in the direction of the rhythmic seas. The moon hung behind the rocky terrain cliffs allowing the rays to slightly slip from behind. The golden boy was still illuminated by the moonlight as he looked away, although, he didn’t seem to have much interest that she was here. Seiren started to wonder if he was just going to stand there like that forever and stare, or if he was actually going to be a gentleman and answer her. She sighed, slightly in agitation, flicking and twisting her silky tail behind her like a crescent moon, watching to see what he was going to do.

“It is.” He recalled. His tone was calm which helped Seiren’s muscles relax from being tensed. Finally she thought. She quietly turned her head towards the stars and the icy remains showing him as though she appreciated him agreeing. Usually she never recognized the little details which made up the crystal earth, but she wanted to give herself something else to think about instead of being angry. It took her devious mind off of everything that was going on. The silver girl recognized how the stars looked so innocent as they rippled in the reflection of the rumbling sea. Innocence was something she was not, but she wore a mask, a mask in which she was very good at manipulating herself, creating this innocent girl. She never released herself to anyone fully, not even the ones she trusted for she knew she could scare them away with just one of her dirty little secrets.

Seiren examined him, but she couldn’t tell what she thought about the golden stallion yet. She liked to test others so that she would be able to see, only slightly, how they really were. When he spoke again she listened with her ears tipped towards. She enjoyed hearing his calming tone. “What brings you to the edge of the earth?” he asked. Her silvery gaze washed over him as he spoke. It was only after he was done talking that she knew that it was inappropriate of her to be so far away from him. She drew closer and closer. It was almost as though there was a silent invitation he made with his gaze. She accepted this as the fae dared herself closer. His smile was also inviting and she was surprised when the corners of her lips pinched upwards creating a kind looking smile.

Once she arrived closer to the brute, she was only a few lengths away now. She was a close enough to see every detail of him. She smiled faintly as she examined his presence once more before answering. “I’m not quite sure truthfully, I just… kind of ended up here.” She said uncertainly. As she drew another breath to speak, the salty and cool iced air lingered into her throat slightly. “How about you? What brings you here on this fine night?” She almost cooed to him. She wasn’t trying to flirt, but she could be very “kind” in a weird way.

When he really had finished speaking, she knew there would almost be a catch to the scenario. Of course my dear Roland was from the Basin she thought with disgust. Only then did she think disgusted, but kept her mask on. “Well, Roland, how interesting. What a fine way to serve the Basin.” She drew a slight smile as she caught his gaze. She wondered if he felt uncomfortable with her here, not being able to fully see her features because of the darkness. She didn’t really care if he was uncomfortable because she wasn’t. She actually didn’t mind the Impersonator and wanted to get to know him just a little bit more.

“I’m Seiren, Roland.” She finally said.

[OOC: No worries:3 I totally understand!]

Glo

He watched from the corner of his eye as Seiren’s gaze tracked up and down his moonlit form before settling on his face, her head dipping as she moved to stand closer to him. Her proximity allowed him to relax, strangely, and so he turned his gaze away from the tumultuous waves and allowed her his full attention as her voice echoed in the short distance between them.

Her answer might have been cryptic or speculative, murmured into the dark in hesitant tones. Roland smiled, exhaling with a slight laugh that was a mixture of frustration and amusement as she turned his question around on him, unsurprisingly. Part of him wondered if they were unwittingly preparing to play a game of charades, standing in the shadows with concealed faces and false smiles. She seemed just as conniving as he, but if there truly was malicious intent beneath her honeyed words he believed she wouldn’t stand a chance; Roland sweet-talks like he lies, all glitz and hidden angles, planned trajectories that look effortless until the dust settles around cool calculation. He might even welcome a little excitement on such a dreary night.

There had once been a time when he would have shied away from hostility, but there was no hiding from it now. The Basin was changing him, hardening his mind and forcing courage upon him; to get him through the unbelievably cold nights and to remain untelling when faced with the hardened gazes and racist words of his family.

I’m escaping,” he finally said with something of a wry smile. Escaping, from himself perhaps, or from the icy confines of a home that hardly felt like anything but a prison cell most days. “It’s much nicer out here than it is in the valley.” He would return of course, but only when his eyelids felt heavy and the urge to sleep was too strong to ignore, but he had no hopes of waking to the sun. Spring had come, but even with winter behind him he felt little relief; the air was still cold, the days still dark, and drifts of snow still stretched across the ground and piled high against the cliff face.

It had been a fair while since he had been in the company of a creature who did not belong to the Basin. He had kept himself cooped up in the herd lands, gazing out at the looming mountains and rocky crags with all the chagrin of a jailbird. It was refreshing, in one way, to stand beside someone who did not sway under Psyche’s influence, but unsettling in another. With the way the dappled mare spoke, Roland assumed she didn’t find his occupation as interesting as she had said.

A pleasure to meet you, Seiren,” he said once their introductions had been swapped, offering her a warm smile that may or may not have been entirely genuine. His tail curled around his hocks as he traced the shadows falling against her cheek, still unsure as to the nature of her company. “You aren’t going to push me off, are you?” He asked, glancing at the cliff’s edge in an almost imperceptible gesture.

(Blah, my next reply will be better. <3 I just wanted to get this out for you asap)

Image Credit

Outcast
Adoptable

SEIREN

A mysterious look aroused from the girl’s face. Cheek bones pushed upwards as a smile silently formed from her lips. Silver threads of her tail flickered slightly from side to side. Like a crescent moon, it twisted and twirled. Seiren was still breath taken by the view, especially the cliffs, with the moon hiding behind its rocky barrier. This whole night was intriguing, but the main thing that was keeping her attention was Roland. He seemed to be nice enough, the way he talked so pure and gentleman like. Seiren was surely appreciative that he was not yelling at her or trying to kick her out. He was nothing like those Basin slime bastards. He actually could have a good future in front of himself. Crimson orbs sparkled with bliss searching for his ocean color gaze. One of Seiren’s ears felt sound vibrations and twitched backwards, with one forwards. It was then created into Roland’s honey coated tone. She sighed, taking in the weird taste of the air, and continued to listen.

Escape?! The word hit her like a brick wall.

Seiren suddenly snapped her full attention towards the golden brute. Eyes locked on his with concern which wrapped in the emotion of her features. “Roland, my friend, you have intrigued me with what you have just said.” She spoke almost quietly. “Why would you want to escape from the Basin?" Seiren knew exactly why he would want to escape the Basin, but wanted to hear his explanation just in case it was momentarily. The herd itself was run by slime ball idiots who called themselves a herd. They weren’t smart or didn’t look out for one another; they just used everyone for their own advantage. Neither leader would care if one of their herd mates died, nor if they lost a few members. They were cold-hearted, and had black souls. Even though Seiren’s brother seemed to live that lavish lifestyle, no one knew what was being hid underneath. She shuddered at the thought, but kept a fake grin to show him that she was fine. His wry smile kept her looking, until he spoke once again.

“Yes, I agree. This is much nicer than the valley. I can’t even describe how perfect it is here.” She spoke her words truthfully. Seiren was beginning to think that if Roland was running away, then maybe he would want to stick around with her temporarily, she wouldn’t mind it. The silver girl figured that she would ask the golden when he replied about why he was escaping.

Seiren let her ears open, listening to him talk. It only took a matter of seconds, but she let moments of silence come in between the two before she spoke. She didn’t mind company all the time, but if Roland pushed her too far or said something that would make her feel uncomfortable, then she would leave. All he was doing though, to her surprise, was just being kind. “It’s a pleasure to meet you as well, Roland.” She was surprised by another masked smile. “I honestly have never met anyone like you before…” Her voice trailed off shyly. She wasn’t going to lie to him about it, but she wasn’t going to say anything else about it either. She figured that he deserved to know that he was a good soul and he had the right intentions. Although she wasn’t trustworthy, she could give nice compliments if she felt like it she guessed. It was truly unlike her to be so… kind, but he wasn’t being offensive.

A warm giggle aroused from her throat as smile came right after. “I probably would only if you pushed me first, but other than that, no I would not push you off the cliff.” Another giggle came and then suddenly she was serious. A thought crossed her mind. If you were my brother then I surely would have.

[It's okay, I love alll Roland posts<3 You're a gifted writer! Sorry mine was kind of late as well :/]

Seiren talk blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Glo

The more they spoke the more the tension eased from Roland’s muscles, and he slowly allowed himself to relax in the mare’s presence. If she truly had malicious intent, creeping upon him like a wraith while the whisper of the sea drowned out the clack of her footsteps across salted granite, then he would have expected her to have made her move already. Assassins rarely wait around to chat before they introduce you to the business end of their blade.

She listened to him speak in silence, her eyes wandering as he responded to her inquiry with his usual ambiguity, but his composure was derailed when she took a sudden and unexpected interest to his reply. His eyes narrowed, visibly skeptical in a way he didn’t bother to hide in the darkness. The concern in Seiren’s voice, and her sudden rapt attention to his words caught him off guard, but he couldn’t be sure if she was just trying to lure an explanation from him while feigning genuine curiousity. “We have only just met. Do you really expect me to disclose my secrets so soon?” His voice was low and quiet, hinting at his distrust while a disbelieving smile grew on his lips. There was no telling what her intent was in questioning him; perhaps she had a bone to pick with his herd, perhaps she was only being sympathetic, but even if he was not invested in the Basin’s ideals, he would not betray them on such a whim.

I do not always see eye to eye with my family,“ he said finally, both as a way of vague explanation and also to appease her. It was a half truth, the best she could hope to get for the time being, and he was satisfied with himself. Beneath the easy smiles and dismissive words, he was at war with himself. Being a part of the Basin had its perks; he had a cave to shelter him, a hot springs to bathe in, a family- albeit a detached one, and a few friends. More than he had known in many years, for certain. If he was to leave, he would no doubt miss the familiar faces of Arah, Sia and Mauja, the latter of which he hadn’t seen in a while anyways.

But the whispered voice in the back of his head never ceased, ridiculing and challenging. Was this what he wanted for the rest of his life? To build a foundation upon bricks of ice and fabrics of snow, to serve under a crown who wanted nothing more than to wipe every hornless equine from the earth? His eyes lowered to the ground, tracing the reflection of pallid moonlight across the frozen ground until stone gave way to emptiness, and the sea thrashed below. Seiren’s voice was but a vague noise in the distance until he heard his name, drawing his attention back to her dappled form.

Is that so?” He inclined his head with a growing smile, a new light of interest glinting in his eyes as he shook off the last vestiges of his silent speculation. As soft-spoken as the Impersonator could be, he had a dangerous ego and inflated appreciation for his own ‘dashing looks’. “Well, I hope I don’t disappoint,” he added, tail curling around his hocks appreciatively. His eyes flicked briefly to the horn atop her head and the scarlet marking that circled it like a target. “Do you have a family of your own?” He asked, lowering his gaze back to the dark hollows of her eyes, unlit by the hovering moon above them.

(Really enjoying their dynamic <3)

Image Credit

Outcast
Adoptable

SEIREN

Roland’s voice was soothing to Seiren as she listened to his every honey-coated word. The rolling seas crashed softly in the background which created a rhythmic lullaby. And each crash of a wave, the easier it seemed to be there. The moonlight still illuminated her slender figure, allowing Roland to see every aspect of her dark features. The night just seemed perfect to her and she liked how interesting their conversation was getting. Although she did not like most of the souls she met, for some reason he was alright. And yes, maybe it was because he was a unicorn, but it wasn’t just that. It was beyond any of her racism, it was his golden heart.

Electric blue eyes peeked out from the dark shadows, and Seiren searched for his intriguing gaze. As he answered her, she let out a nervous kind of chuckle. “Roland, darling, of course not. I only expect you to say whatever your heart desires. It was simply just a question of interest.” Her voice was calm and had slight emotion to it. She really wanted to say I have no interest in the Basin’s pathetic drama, but however I do have a concern about what happened because it involves you… but then again do I really care? A smile aroused on her features as she thought to herself. She had to admit, she had never told anyone her secrets and she would never ever tell Roland them now. They had just only met and he was right. The only one who knew about her darkest secrets was d’Art and she wanted to scream every time she heard his retched name.

“Ah,” She almost whispers. “I cannot say that I see eye to eye with mine as well, so I understand.” Her dusty tone was serious, but calm. Silence was sometimes the best part about inferring something about someone. She thought Not everyone has to know everything about your being. It’s okay to have things kept to yourself that way you can have some dignity. Her dark orbs looked up to find the warming ice gaze of Roland. She liked the way she could look at someone and they couldn’t tell anything about her from her eyes. They were locked by the mask and the only way to see what hid underneath was the unwrap it.

“It ‘tis so, Roland, it is.” She like the way the word Roland rolled off her tongue. He was probably the most enticing soul she had met in a while. The way his chiming voice drew her attention, his gentleman like ways, and his questioning answers Seiren liked very much. “You won’t.” She says with a wry smile. Orbs searching his she almost waited for the next question.

Suddenly a switch was triggered in Seiren’s mind. Family. She almost started to panic as little sweat droplets started to form on her neck. Flashbacks from her first herd came into her mind. d’Art ,Ghost, and Irc’s pictures were clear in haunting images. Her mask seemed still calm, but on the inside she was almost losing her mind. She thought that she would be able to, just for one night, forget about her awful past. Before she could even think about it anymore, a single tear trickled down her dark orb. “I-um” She choked. “I don’t really have one.”

[Me too<33 And sorry this is sooo late! ]

Harmony Posts: 137
Deceased
Filly :: Equine :: 16.4 HH :: 5 § Frostfall
Wild.

Harmony

The cold that used to bite at my sleek coat now gave me a comforting, and ironically, a warming feeling. The cold now seemed to comfort rather than chill. For now, I called the Frozen Arch my home. The many ice caves, the ice laden ground. All used to be so unusual to me, but now they seemed to be second nature. Trekking across ice, snow, blizzards, it was all so easy now. Yes, this was an advantage. I could travel almost anywhere now, with the confidence that I would be able to navigate what the Earth God threw at me, hopefully.

Through the inch deep snow I trudged. The large muscles in my pillars flexing and pinching with every cautious step I took. I have visited this region only once before, leaving soon due to the harsh conditions. An icy chill swept over me as I cleared a rise, and slowly descended into a small valley. The air slowly turned to a translucent mist as I neared the end of the slow slope. Here, it was much warmer, an ideal place to rest, with a small rivulet to my left, unfrozen; surprisingly. Taking a small drink, a smile danced over my kissers as the icy tinge reached my tongue, then down my throat to settle in my stomach. With a harsh shake to my bodice, I cocked my right hind, closing my orbs, expecting a quick rest. The silence was broken when two voices reached my harks. I could not make out the words, but I knew they were saying something. With a sigh, I couldn't help myself but find enough curiosity to locate the beings.

As I followed my path, upwards this time, I reached the top of the rise. Here, there where no mists. I had a beautiful panorama of this frostbitten region. As my orbs scraped over the land, they stopped on two darkened silhouettes, closer then I expected. With a satisfied nod, I lifted my maw to the heavens, noticing that the wind was caressing my locks to the west. With a sigh, I tracked to my right, where I had seen the two last. As I cam over another small rise, I found myself in their plain sight. I smiled slightly as I jogged downward, then halted about three horse lengths from them. They where both crowned. Dipping my painting dome in a polite gesture, I then nodded to each of them. One a Mare, the other a Brute.

" Greetings. "

{ Hope you guys don't mind Harmony popping in! }
Tags;
@[Seiren]
@[Roland]

The life ahead can only be glorious if you
learn to live in total harmony with the Lord..

Glo

Roland was relieved, though bemused, to find she didn’t blame him for hiding away his intel, for she touched on all the subjects he would rather avoid with something of a knowing glint in her eyes. Perhaps it was her intent to rub him the wrong way, or perhaps they truly were at such odds with one another. He tilted his head and gave Seiren his best enigmatic smile, more taunting than serious, though still reticent, still unwilling to speak freely of his own thoughts and feelings to a stranger he had met mere moments ago. Regardless of her intentions, he would not fall victim to a viper’s poison-laced words. There was once a time when he would have avoided creatures like her, possessing all the cunning and cleverness as he, with too bright a smile and too sweet a voice, but now he was only all too eager to dance along the knife edge of danger and risk his own integrity for the sake of flirting with a drifter. He had grown reckless living amongst the icy halls of the Basin. So, he pressed on, finally turning the attention from himself and onto her. If he was unwilling to talk about his family, perhaps she was the same; and it turned out he was right on the money.

His eyes darkened in concern as he noticed the tense lines of her neck and the strange look in her wet eyes, immediately regretting the question that had slipped from his mouth. Gone was the teasing smile from her lips and the easy, relaxed lines of her posture. Seiren’s words were choked as she responded quietly, causing the stallion’s heart to sink in his chest. He moved closer to her and was about to murmur a sincere apology when a voice interrupted from the darkness, incongruous and unexpected, and Roland’s head jerked away from the dappled mare before him and into the shadows. Cautiously, his eyes sought out the unsolicited new arrival in the darkness, startled, and grew even more so when he noticed that the young mare standing several feet away from them was bare atop her head, no horn to be found. Dread jolted through him like ice in his veins.

Suddenly feeling awkward, he retreated from Seiren’s side and turned his attention onto the sorrel, ears perked as he looked her up and down slowly, head nodding in offhand acknowledgement to her greeting before his gaze slid to the side, flicking towards his silver companion to discretely gauge her reaction. He had no idea if she was just as racist as the family he had left behind in the Basin, or as indifferent as he to the hornless and winged.

Hello,” he murmured at last, quiet, cautious. He wasn’t about to mention that she’d caught them at a bad time, nor was he about to welcome her with open arms. He deliberately avoided introducing himself at first, wary of sullying his name if their meeting was to turn bloody. Tilting his chin, Roland turned back to the mare and offered a weak and careful smile, tail curling around his hocks nervously. “You should be careful wandering out here in the darkness. It isn’t safe…” His voice was kept strictly monotone, unfeeling and yet edged with the slightest warning if she were intent enough to listen. He wasn’t about to disclose to either of them his stance upon the matter of racism, and intended to keep his prejudices buried beneath the rest of his secrets; but he wouldn’t allow the painted mare to come in harm’s way if he could help it.

Image Credit

Outcast
Adoptable

SEIREN

Seiren feared that if she told Roland that d’Art was actually her brother, then he would report it to the Basin. She wasn’t sure if Roland knew that she did not want her brother looking for her, or if he did. If the golden did tell, then the silver figured it would be out of concern. Either way she decided that it would be better if she just kept it to herself. Seiren wasn’t one of tears or much emotion, but she just hated her brother so much that it brought a sour taste to her mouth and tears to her eyes. Every time d’Art was thought of she wished they were not related to one another. She hated him with all of her being and Mauja as well for basically babysitting her brother and for kicking her out of the old Foothills.
She held her tears back, thinking of how pathetic she probably looked. The girl just hated everything about her family and wanted nothing to do with them. Seiren didn’t really have a family because they didn’t want her either. They had all branched off long ago and decided to not want one another’s company anymore. They were fine living on their own. So Seiren did not really lie to Roland, she told what was the truth.

In the darkness, the Golden moved closer. Her dark orbs searched to find his placid gaze. He seemed to sense her anxiety and had a look of concern plastered to his defined features. Electric blues were soft like the rolling seas in the illuminant moonlight. She felt as though her ears were going to pin against her skull as he moved closer. The silver was not trustworthy of others. She told herself that she did not need nor want comfort from him because she was no filly. She just “seemed” to want space. Surprisingly, she found her cranium urge forward for her muzzle to meet contact with his. Her hot breath made a cloud that trailed from her nostrils as she looked towards him. What am I doing? She wondered to herself. And right when she was about to go to finish reaching for his muzzle, an unfamiliar voice crept in from the shadows.

Her head snapped sharply towards the sound. Ears tipped forwards as the different sound waves found their way to her drum. Cringe now settled in her veins as she saw that the voice did not belong to a superior. There was no horn atop the girl’s head. Suddenly her ears pinned to her skull and a metallic taste stained her mouth. Perfect timing she thought to herself. This was all she needed now… a dumb equine to make the situation worse. This night was just getting better and better with all of these surprises.

The silver felt Roland’s gaze shift towards the new being. She as well, turned her attention to get a better view of this trespasser. Squinting her icy eyes, Seiren sent a cunning smile towards the figurine with confusion bubbling in her system. The outcast examined the girl as much as she could before she felt Roland’s gaze upon her. She looked towards the golden with disgust plastered among her features. She knew that he was feeling the same way because the Basin was a racist bunch. She was glad that she wasn’t the only one feeling this.

After she listened to what both beings had to say, she looked towards the girl with a sly look. Tension seemed to fill the air “My dear, he’s right.” She hissed calmly. “You never know who or what you could find in these dark…” She gave a wry smile Cold,” She flicks her tail nervously Shadows.”

Harmony Posts: 137
Deceased
Filly :: Equine :: 16.4 HH :: 5 § Frostfall
Wild.
h a r m o n y
I was not wanting, and my was it obvious. I must have walked in on an odd situation, one that was meant to be private. I had hoped I haven't offends them, but my demanor soon changed as I noticed the disgust displayed on their faces. They both wore horns proudly atop their foreheads. Predejuice, again. Against my species that have done them no wrong. They must think equines aren't clever, or maybe they don't deserve life. But hell, I'll prove them wrong. I slowly faded away my smile before ignoring what they had to say, and taking a step back. I kept a respectful distance from the awkward duo while I spoke. 

"Deepest apologizes. I see I am not wished to be here. I am truly sorry. I can leave if you wish it. " 

I then slowly blinked before raising my dome, letting them know o was simply treating them with respect, not treating them as my "superiors". That was wrong, all wrong. The thought shouldn't cross anyone's mind, for it was horrid. Treating "lower species" as if they don't deserve this land. We have every right to it. And I'll be damned if I'm scooted out of here like a dumbfounded filly, because I am not, and never was. These beings may think of me as impure, but guess what? I am much greater than they are, simply because I do not think as arrogantly as they do. My goal is to be kind to all, not to judge. Leave the judging up to the Gods. 

Glo

Racism was a terrible disease. It was a contagion that did not discriminate, contaminating both the soft spoken and iron fisted, the caring and the cruel. In many cases it curled, disregarded and inconspicuous, in the depths of the minds it had infected, yet unbidden it would seep through whatever good nature the creature contained to gently poison every word and every action; though in some, it was stretched across their person like a flag, bearing it across their hides as proudly as unicorns brandished their horns. And as of yet there appeared to be no cure.

Seiren’s words broke the icy silence with all the toxic allure of a serpent, falsely saccharine and dripping with a hidden warning. She obviously liked to toy with her victims before killing them, and Roland believed that objective was dancing at the forefront of her mind. A shiver went down his spine as he looked at her, expression carefully schooled into nonchalance even though his muscles were tensed beneath his hide. The moon cast a metallic glow across the mare’s dappled skin, a soft light distantly reminiscent of the sun in a way that he had previously found beautiful, but now was ominous.

Roland knew she was not to be trusted; why at any moment he might turn to admire the stars and find her knife in his back, but she held a unique potential for friendship that he found himself averse to letting go. Such was life in the Basin too, where the challenge of keeping his character in check was constant, and he rarely found the chance to speak what he truly thought. Like a seed coming into fruition, doubts were beginning to blossom in his mind, and as time dragged on beneath the cover of a wintry night it was beginning to frost over his goodwill.

Harmony would walk unscathed from their gathering on the cliff side, if Roland could prevent an altercation. He had seen too many fall victim to the Basin’s cruel ways. “No need to be sorry.” He dismissed the painted mare’s apology with a flick of his tail, careful to keep his voice clean of emotion or sympathy. It would be in her own best interest to leave, for he wasn’t sure what the silver mare might do if given the chance. Slowly, he tilted his head to the side, a minute gesture yet one that hid his eyes from Seiren’s view, and with this fleeting opportunity he cast Harmony what he hoped was a meaningful look. The warning went unspoken, for he was toeing a fine line; one that spanned between a tentative alliance with the dappled mare, and a curse upon his name for empathizing with the hornless.

(Sorry for the hold up, I’ve been running seriously low on muse)

Image Credit