the Rift

[OPEN] In the Shadow we trust [Ampere stealth]

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan
Shadow

The night air was cold and bit into the skin between rustling feathers, causing shiver to run across the body and tears to flood the eyes as she flew onward. Adrenaline had invaded her veins, it affected her and made every little detail in the surrounding landscape seem crystal clear, like pine needles against the first morning light. South the mare flew, away from the glowing Heart and the rude stallion who had tried to keep her from doing as she pleased - homeward bound.

The soft glow of the moon brightened a lavender eye as the little raven peered through the Evernight and gazed at the young mare who had helped her escape and now flew with her through the dark sky. With her help it had been an easy thing to slip out of the red-eyed stallions reach, and Shadow felt grateful, albeit slightly puzzled as to why she would be willing to risk herself to aid a stranger.

Arching the head slightly higher the ebony girl raised her voice and called through the air, counting on the wind to carry her words to the other mare;
"Thank you stranger, for helping me out. I'm grateful... but why did you do it? Do I know you from somewhere?" Black ears twisted in the direction of the blue-marked hawk, slightly wary yet far more relaxed than she had been when on the ground. Up here in the air Shadow felt comfortable, safe, as she knew her own skills in flight and knew she would be able to if not outrun then at least avoid attacks. With the wind over her wings she was free and untouchable - of that she had no doubt.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
HEART SICK_AND EYES FILLED UP WITH BLUE

Red and silver collided on a canvas of blackas Ampere flew through the dark. From above the moon gilded her in the gentle glow of sterling, while below the great maw of the heart cast her in the rich light of fire. She cast a weary glance down the at the opening as though expecting another monster to surge out of its depths.
She had since abandoned this as her makeshift home, that paranoia all to real for her.

In the search for a new residence she had seen the mare beside her being taken against her will by the horned one. Thankful for her coloration Ampere was able to blend into the dark skies and look down, quickly realizing the girl's freedom was at stake. Never one to sit back and watch the one gift we are given in this miserable existence, Ampere knew she had to act.
She had followed them, waiting and watching until the moment was right and then snuck in to whisk Shadow away. The victory of it made her giddy now and slapped a smile on her features which had frowned too often of late.
Even more impressive was she hadn't earned any new scars in the attempt! Not one well known for stealth Ampere had given it a shot regardless, less than interested in earning bruises when her front feet still ached from the monster's burns.

The joy of a painless victory tingled in her wingtips as she drifted on the air, her shadow chasing her below while a second one hung at her side.
The shadow spoke.

Ampere simpered at the inquiry, taking a moment to respond as she noisily intook a breath, as if preparing to hoist the world upon her withers.
Like Atlas, Ampere shouldered the great weight of justice for this strange mare.
"We've not met," Ampere confessed, not bothering to share her name. They would likely not continue to meet once this affair was over. "Nor have you seen me before. I saw you though, on the day you were taken by that mongrel." Vhemence entered Ampere's voice briefly as she referred to Zar'roc. She had no previous engagements to him, but he had committed the worst crime before her very eyes and for that she could not forgive his soul.

"It is more than unjust to take the freedom of another unwillingly. It is the worst act to commit... I could not fly by and watch it happen without action." Ampere turned her head to the side, blue eyes meeting violet, proffering a simple smile.

For a while Ampere let the silence settle and her words sink in. Little else was heard but the wind cutting past and feathers rustling against each other as wings shifted to keep them aloft.
"If I can... may I ask something of you?" Her voice was daringly hopeful, but slow, as though cautious. Ampere had this question failed too often to rush it out any more, least it cause another stab in her heart. She swallowed, her throat suddenly dry.
"Do you know what's happened around here?" Ampere's head turned to watch Shadow's once more, the ocean gaze frosted over with worry and fear.
"The loss of the sun and before that the moon, of the magic in those that once had it - save for some?"

A M P E R E

plaguedog.deviantart.com

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Chan
Shadow

Their gazes crossed and as the blue-eyed outcast smiled the raven couldn't help but return one of her own, gratitude and appreciation for the swift action apparent in the inclination of the chiseled head. Nostrils flared as the shade took a similarly deep breath, savoring the scent of wind and earth and brimstone that pummeled her senses, then flicked the tail and adjusted the angle of a wing to slip slightly closer to the other, just so she wouldn't have to shout to be heard.

"I was naive who let him so close to me in the first place" she admitted with a bitter grimace. "Even though our leaders told us not to allow anyone close to the borders I didn't react when I came upon him, and like a brainless colt I followed him where few would be able to find me... I won't be doing that again, that's for sure." Conveniently she forgot that following the lead of the lightning bird was just what she had done before. This and that was separate things, why would the rover help her escape just to imprison her again? No, Shadow didn't fear the younger mare that flew beside her, not like she had the horned stallion.

An ear twitched as the voice of her rescuer reached it, and while focusing her gaze on the horizon Skuggi listened to the hesitant question she was asked. It was her turn to smile; with a soft neigh she beat the inky wings to add speed to her flight before making a roll that sent the moon and the stars swirling around her, an expression of joy and delight that set her in a graceful tumble over the feathered girl and on to her other side. There the amethyst-eyed mare planed out gracefully and made a little squeal from delight, letting the wind whip and tousle the hairs of her mane.

"I do know, vinur minn" she exclaimed, happy to be able to help the one who helped her. "I saw it with my own eyes. By the time winter reached its peak a great battle took place on the meadow north of here, between the Gods of Helovia and something strange that didn't seem to belong here. Like a crack in a rock it seemed, only it cracked the air and the world instead. The gods tried to keep it back, but apparently they couldn't and so they went into it... First a golden stallion, then a great brown one, followed by a lavender mare and finally by the black and swirly one. When he disappeared the crack did so too, and then darkness fell."

Shadow shuddered visibly as she remembered the light draining from the sky, feeling fear like an echo of her emotions back then.
"Not dark like now" she continued, more quietly this time. "There were no stars, no moon, no nothing. Only the Seer's Fire in the Throat, the glowing Heart and these light trees... They weren't as bright as they are now though. I guess something good happened a while ago, because between a breath and the next the stars and the moon returned, and it grew warmer... Some of the magical folks in my herd says their magic is starting to return, though it's a bit... odd. Like it's broken, or something."

She tilted the head towards the dark figure, alert gaze interested in figuring out if the mare would make more sense of it than Skuggi could. The raven still found the events she had witnessed to be more than just a little incredible, and she really wouldn't blame the other for not believing her.

Focusing on the surroundings once more, her stomach made a happy churn as she noticed that the landscape was growing dryer. Vegetation slowly thinned out and started to give way to rocks she knew to be red as blood - now they seemed more like dark gray lumps bathed in moonlight. The little raven longed to shoot forward and dive down towards them, wanted to speed up and disappear into the dark labyrinth she knew to hide amongst the stones, but she couldn't. Not while she had a stranger along with her. Instead she broke the straight course and cut across the winds, elegantly falling into a large circle that let her remain in largely the same place.

"Thank you again for freeing me" she said with a smile and followed the path of the other. "My name is Skuggi - most call me Shadow around here. You're free to come and stay in the herd if you'd like; all winged ones are welcome at Dragon's Throat, especially brave and skilled ones like you."

Healed

It took a moment for the words ushered from those black lips to sink into Ampere's consciousness. Much like the way you can get so tired you are no longer able to sleep, so Ampere found herself craving so long for the truth, that when she finally heard it, the words threatened to slip past her ears like the wind. For a while she said nothing and to Shadow it may appear as though she had lost herself to contemplative thoughts on the matter itself. The reality of it though was that Ampere's pulse had increased, a nearly visible thump in the line of her throat, while her mind tumbled over itself in a celebratory glance. Eventually that glee spiraled outward.

Ampere cried out abruptly with a raucous whoop, tilting just as suddenly on her wing tip and nearly catastrophically dipping down to the right, slipping just beneath Shadow's hooves. Laughing to herself Ampere tumbled in the air, rolling in the fever-pitch of victory. It was a hollow victory though, only given with that relief of grasping what so long you have been reaching for. The more it drew upon Ampere's thoughts though, the more she realized just what it was Shadow has said, and not just that she had said something at all - a change to the dither everyone else had spouted.
Sobering up Ampere cracked her wings back to her sides, lifting on the opposite side of Shadow now, creases chasing away the happiness from her face.
She speaks of the gods Ampere realized. She didn't know the names to match the descriptions Shadow spoke of, but she knew the implications of the four. The taste on her tongue became suddenly foul and it felt as though a lump formed in the back of her mouth, attempting to choke her.
Is this the evil that child spoke of? Ampere wondered of the crack that Shadow mentioned, shuddering at the idea of it. She didn't know how much she could believe in these Helovian gods, not after knowing so many deities with other names in other places, but she did believe in magic and power.

Whatever was happening was big.

Before Ampere could ask Shadow on it further the mare had begun to circle, apparently thinking their conversation finished after Ampere's ridiculous stunts. She couldn't blame her and figured it would be better to digest what she had learned before prying for more. Besides, she had nothing left to trade the mare any more, she was not obligated out of anything but personal kindness, which although Ampere didn't think she lacked, was certain that like anyone, had limits of.
Ampere followed in her draft, just barely catching the words whipping out of the mare's mouth. One word stuck true, Dragon's Throat that prickled in Ampere's body. She threw a glance down below them, shocked they'd already traveled so far so fast. It reminded her starkly of her hunger and winter-wasted muscles, and the thought of landing alongside Shadow brought a fresh ache to her injured forelimbs. She winced.

Then again, maybe they had a healer? They didn't owe her one, but maybe Shadow was of great importance? Ampere glanced at the dark mare spiraling down, wondering. She was certainly knowledgeable...

"HEY! Do you know, is there a big brown stallion here still? Talks short and slow, with bones in his face?" Ampere shouted down, sailing longer, unexcited about the prospect of landing but similarly wanting the rest and respite Shadow offered.

A M P E R E

plaguedog.deviantart.com

Chan
Shadow

The shadow halted her slow descent as the nameless mare called after her, curiously waiting for the other to catch up before she replied. It took a while, and gave the crow plenty of time to rack her mind for a face to match the description. Big brown with a bone in the... Furrowing the brow she nodded slowly and beat the wings, halting herself in the air and straining to remain static; suspended between earth and eternity.

"I think so" she responded, voice raised to carry across the winds to the dark ears of her new friend. "Gaucho, I believe he's called. Saw him at the gathering just after the Darkening, he's one of the warriors. You know him?"

Intrigue carried the stocky little mare upwards again, wings aching and straining to carry her weight higher to a place where she could level out and count on the winds for support. Steady eyes followed the movements of the other, more thoroughly now than before. She hadn't had much to do with the fighters of the herd, not beside Midas and Hector - and those for rather different reasons. Overall the bushy-maned inkling knew very few of her kin, being new and all. Still, she felt at home in the sandy desert and was curious to know why an outcast had dealings with one of her own.

"You can come along if you want to" she offered again, throwing a longing glance towards the distant dunes. "I have to go back as soon as I can; these are uneasy times, if they realized I'm gone Hect.. the others might begin to worry." She could feel herself blush as heat crept up on the face, quickly catching her tongue before she'd uttered the whole truth about her hopes. It was all they were, of course. The tall, handsome young warrior might not see her as anything more than a friend and a newcomer, no matter how kindly he smiled whenever their paths met. Just because she enjoyed his company, preferring it over any others...

Shadow cleared her throat and gave the younger mare a questioning look that urged her on for an answer. "Or I can give him a message... Though I'd have to know your name for that."

Healed

Gaucho

The name rung true and clear in Ampere's mind at the first couple letters, bringing forth an image of the sweat encrusted ball of bay muscle. She could still remember his smell that day, tainted with the blood of some foe or another, then peppered with the dust from the dunes. It was a heady aroma of earth and strength that wriggled right into the core of her instincts, flipping on some switch that fired up her desire.

How she kept him at bay that day in the pool she couldn't say. She certainly didn't have that same will power now.

A fond smile graced her lips, one that stretched into her ears so that they did not hear the black mare's question. Ampere wouldn't have answered it anyway. It wasn't anything Shadow needed to know and besides, if she was any good at her job she'd already know the answer herself.

The next words of re-invitation did find their way into Ampere's ears however. She shook her head and abruptly was back at the present, the old image of Gaucho dissolving from her minds eye to be replaced with the whipping wind, how rather she'd like his warm body, and the drifting wings of Shadow blurring into the dark canopy of the dizzying sky, sideways as they spun down.
Ampere dropped faster, hastening to keep up with Shadow now who herself was eager to be in the desert.

She would follow her into the borders and past the patrols least she be accused of trespass, but had no intentions of riding in Shadow's namesake. She had a bigger one to roll about in.

A M P E R E

plaguedog.deviantart.com