the Rift

[OPEN] Murderous Intent [Invasion]

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi

Bitter crimson tears
flow from lifeless eyes

Snow turned to grass, woodland turned to meadow and frigid cold turned to feverish heat. The pace was hard set, cloven hooves ate up the ground, stopping only when necessary to rest and regain lost energy. Following the Nightshade on his journey was a string of colourful blasphemes that started from the Basin’s narrow path all the way to the Throat’s border, the Worlds Edge was inflicting it’s retribution and he had to be sent south of all damnedest places. d’Artagnan hated the south! It was a land that, in his experience, seemed destined to be run by vertically challenged fowl with vulgar tongues and a leader who seemed more stallion than mare. The shade’s first war in Helovia had to be in that burning furnace of all places. Needless to say that any horse that had drifted near him along the way had been entertained (or not) by his wondrous knowledge of intricate swear words. As the Throat land began to appear before him he sighed and glanced behind him, his face an odd mixture of anger and worry. His two sons he worried less about, the frail hearted Edge would not harm two foals (or so d’Artagnan thought), it was Kou who made him sigh a long and lonely sigh. Last time he had watched as a prisoner as his herd went to war, as his Nurse went to war, this time it was the other way around. Fate liked keeping them apart at times of strife, or so it appeared.

The Nightshade walked past what looked like the beginnings of a wall, his gaze noticeably sharpening with curiosity and his maw curled into an amused half smile. So there really is more than just air between their ears he chuckled silently to himself, feeling another wave of amusement rolling off Aramis. You flatter them came the hounds rather harsh comment which sent his crimson bonded into bouts of dark ruckus laughter. Their mood significantly improving once minds turned to the task at hand. This arid region was not completely unknown to him, a few times he had ventured here both on his own accord and once as a war prisoner, though his delightful stay with the Ardent was spent with no sight whatsoever. Minimal at best was his knowledge of this land, but no matter, he would just have to make do. Skulking forwards he raised his maw to the air with devilry intent in his gaze. "This land now belongs to the Aurora Basin, unless one of you ladies would like to convince me otherwise."

His words dripped in taunts, knowing full well he wouldn’t get away with such a proclamation, he would be sorely disappointed if they laid down arms without a raising a hoof after all. It wasn’t a good fight without spilling some blood. Aramis paced in front of him, their minds connected through bond and recently they had been able to communicate with one another, a handy thing to discover and their companionship had deepened. The hound had been rather downcast over the past couple of seasons, the absence of Gods had reduced him to the average form of your everyday Doberman with extra fur, the fire in his belly taken from him. However, the prospect of a fight was rather exciting and Aramis had perked up along the journey from Basin to Throat. Under the silver gaze of she who was hated, the Nightshade and his guard awaited an answer to his challenge.

[wc: 590 | 0/4 rounds | 0/2 magic/companion
0/1 Herd Champs, extra magic. | BBs: Endure & Swift
--
Midnight & Cloudy.
Position: d’Artagnan is near the border, facing towards the Oasis.
Standard invasion dueling rules apply, magic/companions subject to SW plot.]

SNappa2006.flickr.com

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Cirrus Posts: 233
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8 HP: 69 | Buff: SWIFT
Whit

Cirrus
& Sitka
We hadn't been home for long, my beloved cloud and I. The sand was beneath our feet, between my padded toes and surrounding my bonded's neat hooves, the wind stirring around us, lifting the indigo tendrils of her mane off the sleek curve of her nape. I smiled a canine's smile at her as her cerulean gaze drifted to meet my own. We had been travelling a lot lately, but had finally settled back in our southern home. I had worries that my beloved cloud kept far too much to herself, restricting the friends she made - it was true, that she could call very few souls a true friend. When I voiced my concerns to her, in that peculiar way that our bond allowed, she simply said that she had all she needed to survive in this world, why should she seek out any more? To survive is one thing, to live, another. The words were all I offered on the matter, before I permitted her to change the subject.

Friendships were one thing; family was another. The entire herd was our family, and our loyalty was firmly secured with them. We healed them when they became hurt, and we protected them when threats were made to their security. Cirrus did miss her mother, it had been far too long since she had seen her elegant presence. And the rambunctious, electric personality of her sister was also sought after, though to no avail. My sensitive nostrils could not catch their scent amongst those of our herdmates, even as we wandered along the incomplete wall.

What my nostrils did detect, was a whole other boardgame.

Enemy, it wasn't even a word, more of an alert, an alarm that rung along our shared bond. I felt the ripple of tenseness travel up her spine, as her ears pricked and her eyes scouted forward. Wings burst from her sides, and an instant later she had surged forward and into the air. My limber legs travelled across the sands at speed in her wake, and I growl as I recognise a canine scent alongside that of the unicorn enemy. I could tell it was one who was the same as I, though the absence of magic had stripped us of our usual magical attributes. I warn my beloved, by sharing through our bond the scent I had detected. Her breathing quickens, as without a second thought, she plucks the spear that was tucked into her right wing out, holding the wooden shaft in her mouth, the sharp, silver end pointing to her left. She was inexperienced in true warfare, but she was the daughter of the fallen General, raised with a strict fitness regime.

Don't think, I murmur to her as we travel, just do, I add, feeling the waves of nerves roll through her, watching them dissipate somewhat against the force of my voice sounding in her soul. As the shapes of our enemies took form beneath the silver, muted light of the Moon above, a growl began in my chest - my eyes clung to the crimson streaked beast, while Cirrus' gaze traced the outline of the unicorn. I stopped several strides away from them, panting, but not worn out - warmed up more like. Meanwhile my beloved had taken a higher altitude, and then descended, picking up speed all the while. I growled louder, feeling rather than seeing exactly what she was doing. Her coat was roan, dark against the midnight sky, a shadow amongst a world of shadows. Her wings were silent, for they did not beat as she descended, they merely held their position, and pointed her bodice like an arrow towards this enemy.

The time came when an impact would be made. Barely two strides to the right of the unicorn who made this challenge, and facing in the same direction as he, she touched upon the sandy ground, which absorbed some of the impact, preserving her legs. Her momentum carried her onwards in a jaunty canter, her father's spear stuck out to her left. She aimed the spear towards the right side of d'Artagnan, hoping to stick it into the area half-way up the scapula, at the base of his neck, and open the skin and muscle all along said neck. He was taller than her, it was more likely that the spear would divert below his nape than drift above it, if it struck at all. My beloved was not a bloodthirsty creature, but she was a healer, and she knew what injuries best immobilised her patients - she could apply the same principles here, only in reverse. Little did she know that she was facing the healer of the Basin, who also had that much more experience in battle too.

[ 796 words.
1/4 attack posts.
0/1 closing defence.
0/2 magic/companion uses. ]
image credits
table by whit
as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

• please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
    I write what I feel at the time
    and hope everyone else does the same c:

Official Posts: 847
    Administrator
    Stallion :: Equine :: ::
    Official
    By request of imi's absence, d'Artagnan defaults to Cirrus.
    Cirrus receives 1VP and the Throat Defenders earn 1 point.