the Rift

[OPEN] Over My Dead Body [Invasion Defence]

Azale Moniet Posts: 49
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 3 Years Buff: NOVICE
Emily

Azale Moniet

So, they wanted to take my home now huh? Well i'm not giving it up without a damn fight. First they capture my mother, then one of them murders her, and now they want the Edge too? Over my dead body. My old regret is that I do not have my powers yet. I wish I did. I'd love to burn the lungs of one of these, these.... Jerks... Bastards. Did they have nothing better to do than pick on my family? Well, that ends now... Today, or night... I really don't know which it is with all this darkness. I miss the sun and the way it warms my wings....

Well that is not here nor there. The Goddess of the Moon is the only one around, and the others are fixing something... Why did the Basin have to attack now? Just cause we stole a few kids? At least we aren't going to murder them like they did my mother.... Damn them... Damn them all.... I've got to finish this stupid quest and get my powers... I've got to be able to protect my little sisters and big brother. Even though from the looks of him he's just fine... My family needs me.. I just hope I can prove myself as asset... not a impairment.. Either way, this is my home. I was raised here, my sisters were born here... I want my kids to live here... Well, when I find a mate and right now i'm to busy to even think about boys like that. But anyway, I want to keep my family here and safe.. I would die before leaving here. They will not take our home from us so easily.

[Word Count: 285
0/4 attacks
-she has no magic or companion-
Waits for a challenger along the northern boarder of the Edge]
"talk talk talk"
[Image: 511c499da2515]
[Image: 51535cdaae0d8]
"Oh the things we do for power..."
lines by tamme; coloring by paddeh

Janus Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Janus
We're Both Broken in Our Own Little Ways
We're Broken, but We Fit Together Just Right
It was time.

They had been called to arms, and there was no way that the Andalusian would defy her General. Janus had settled within her home of the Windtossed Foothills as well as she had been capable of since her bitter arrival in this land called Helovia. Since the eternal darkness had swept across their land, the pale female had not wandered from the safety of the Grey's borders. Instead, she had remained at home, dutifully serving the band of mercenaries as if they were her own. And, in some strange sense, they were. They had become her family, her reason for breathing, her brothers and sisters in arms just as those in Vallhea had been...

A furious snort buffeted the mists around her face, her mind focusing on the present. This was not Vallhea. There was no girl upon her back. It was just the Grey and their unfortunate victims. They moved as one collected force of raw power and muscle, a sight to be feared, led by the hulking, brutish form of their General. Archibald led them to the Edge, to fulfill their end of the contract with the Basin. This land of twisting mists and dancing shadows was the furthest she had been from the confines of the Foothills, and so the mare did her best to assess the land around them. This was not the Foothills; trees blanketed the land, and in places the eerie mists made visibility difficult... but it was of no importance.

At this point in time, the call of battle was the only thing that mattered. Already the adrenaline coursed through her blood, causing her heart to pump with excitement. Janus was a war mare; she had been raised since birth to live for the fight, and that was what she was doing now. Crisp, cold, and calculating blue eyes peered out from the thicket of trees, watching as those around her already broke away and entered the bloodied frays of combat. Those ice-blue orbs continued to search, looking, her body yearning to find something to tear into...

There!

A lanky, pale thing flitted against the twisting darkness of the Edge. For a moment Janus watched the creature, sizing her up, a she-Pegasus with four wings. How very peculiar. Janus thought of Mesec and Irrydae in the Foothills, and Phaedra, the Grey's flirt and elite spy who had accompanied them to war. They too had wings, but not like this one's. Despite herself, curiosity bubbled within the Andalusian's pale breast, yet it did nothing to cool the fire, the yearning to fight.

The urge to attack became too much, and Janus collected her lithe mass beneath her and pushed herself forward. It was time. Cream-kissed hooves carried the ivory dancer towards her opponent, hoof beats creating a staccato against the musty earth, pink lips opening to release a battle cry. Shrill as an eagle's cry the sound bellowed across the land, bouncing off trees and echoing through the frigid air. Sapphire orbs narrowed dangerously as she approached the young Four-Winged, hooves sinking into the earth. Ears pinned, Janus charged, breaths leaving her deep chest in sharp arcs.

During her charge, Janus planned her attack, sizing up her opponent. They were different, the two mares. The Four-Winged one was of draft decent, the war mare could tell, a sturdy build with muscles that rippled with power. This pale, mystery-bred Pegasus was nowhere close to the great mass of Archibald, but there was power there that Janus would do well not to ignore. Where Janus herself was built for agility and speed, this thin draft-mutt would not have such graces.

'Come, child,' Janus' mind hissed, ears tipping back as she closed the distance between them. With what Janus assumed was four yards between them, if Azale herself had not made any form of advancement, she slowed her charge from a furious gallop to a slow canter, knowing that the momentum could hinder her advance instead of aid it. 'Let us see what you can do.'

With hope that her charge would place her in front of Azale, Janus wanted to be about two yards from Azale before the Andalusian dropped her right shoulder to shift to the right, aiming for Azale's left side. Janus was hoping that with her quick advance she could crowd the ivory creature and overwhelm her. Pulling her haunches beneath her and gathering her balance, Janus grit her teeth as her lithe bulk slid to a stop to Azale's left, dirt curdling beneath her and and rocks upturning as her hooves dug into the ground. Stretching her neck out, the Andalusian's teeth flashed upwards, aiming for the front of Azale's wing joint.

'Fight me, child! Pretender!'

[Wordcount: 778 words.
1/4 attacks.
Janus charges Azale from the northern trees, attempting to come to a stop on Azale's left side. She also attempts to crowd Azale with her advance, and then aims a bite towards the front of Azale's wing-joint.]

Deceased
Emily

Azale Moniet

One comes. She comes and dares to try and take MY home! I don't think so missy. I may not have a clue what i'm doing, but i'm sure not going to let you take the only real home i've ever know from me without a fight. I've grown up here, not you. My family is here, not yours. You smell of the first place my mother ever took me after I was born, the Foothills. Are you like that stallion who threatened my life? Do you hate me because I have wings? Is that why you want to take my home? To bad missy, it's mine and you can't have it.

She's charging me, just like my brother has done in play before. But this is not play, this is real... What do I do.. Without really thinking about it, I feel my own hooves moving. I charge her, hoping to make her fearful. But no, in this darkness both of us pale warriors are not going to be scared. As we draw close I slam on brakes as she does, dirt flying everywhere. It's not a true fight without a little dirt flying right? My hind legs act almost like springs as the other warrior snaps outward. She aims for my left wing joint, but misses as my hind legs lift me towards the air. Instead I feel the pinch of her teeth against my left side. I squeal in pain, startled by the feeling. It hurt a lot, and now I understood the scars the older members of the Qian held. They were from battles, like this one. How often would I be forced to protect my home? As I continue to squeal, I kick my front legs out and flapping my four wings wildly. I hope to knock her in the head or something, maybe if I get lucky i'll knock her out. I know I won't be, but I can still hope at least. This is my home, and i'll fight as best I can to keep it. I can't let my family down... I just can't.. I've let them down so much already by focusing on myself...

[Word Count: 363
1/4 attacks
Charges forward, skidding to a stop and rearing up. The bite hits her left side instead of her wing joint. As the bite hits she squeals and kicks her front legs while flapping her wings to try and stay up and beat Janus anywhere she can with them]
"talk talk talk"

Janus Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Janus
We're Both Broken in Our Own Little Ways
We're Broken, but We Fit Together Just Right
Perhaps if she had been more stable of mind, Janus would have been alarmed by the amount of bloodthirst that she felt, the eagerness to inflict pain upon this young, four-winged creature. She had been raised a calm, gentle mare by Riveth's hands, taught to respect honor and shed kindness, but now... Now, she was a shadow of her former self. A wandering, bitter, troubled soul, lost without purpose. The Grey had given her purpose, however, a reason to continue the fight, and she showed her bitterness in the only way that she knew how; in violence.

Ice-blue orbs remained locked on Azale's form, watching as the pale youth returned her charge. Janus smirked, the corners of her lips upturning in true amusement. 'She has spunk...' Perhaps if it was not the battlefield in which they had met, the Andalusian mare would have been compelled to get to know this pale child. It was a compliment, for although Janus thought that she saw fear in the four-winged one's gaze, she saw determination. A drive to protect a herd, a family, a home. Such a look had probably in Janus' own eyes, back when she was defending Vallhea... But what a false defense that had been.

They were similar, Janus realized with a start. She and this young warrior. They fought for love, for family... Except Janus had nothing more to fight for. A soldier without an army, a child without a guide... A wandering renegade, nothing more. Bitterness renewed within her, coating her mind like an iron veil, protecting her against such petty emotions.

Janus was uncertain what attempt that Azale was trying to do with her charge, perhaps try and crowd her as she had wanted to do to Azale, but no, that wouldn't work. A seasoned veteran she was, and she would not fall for such childish ire. A feeling of annoyance trickled within the warrior's breast that she had missed her intended target, but it dispelled a moment later as her jaw clamped down firmly upon Azale's left side. Flesh pinched between her teeth, the taste of hide and sweat disgusting upon her tongue, but Janus couldn't dwell on it for too long.

Azale was moving, pushing herself up onto her hindquarters, forelegs and wings buffeting at the air in an attempt to strike out, hooves glinting in the moonlight like deadly daggers. Bracing her muscles, Janus turned more towards her left so that she hoped she was facing Azale, tucking her head close to her pale bosom to protect it. Such an act, however, left her neck and shoulders open for attack, but that was a risk that Janus knew she had to take. The pale mare grit her teeth as she took a blow to the left side of her shoulder from one of Azale's flailing hooves, ice-blue eyes narrowing to dangerous slits. It stung, burned almost, surely cutting through hide and skin, perhaps drawing blood...

Hoping that she was spotting an opening, however, the Andalusian warrior dipped her left shoulder downwards to prepare for her next attack. The muscles in her shoulder and neck gave a terrible pull of protest, and her back legs bunched beneath her to push her forwards, and hopefully into Azale's rearing frame. Janus attempted to aim for Azale's exposed barrel from her rear into the sky, and then pushed forward on an exhale of breath, hooves digging deep into the ground for purchase. She hoped that she could collide with the rearing Pegasus with her injured shoulder and thus, knock her down. Or, at the very least, confuse and wind her.

[Wordcount: 597.
Attacks: 2/4
Summary: When Azale rears into the air, Janus turns slightly to the left to try and make them face to face. She tucks her head safely to her chest, then takes a blow to her left shoulder from Azale's hooves. Then, she attempts to charge forward and into Azale, to either knock her down or disorient her.]

Deceased
Emily

Azale Moniet

Why did I feel suddenly so protective of my home? After all the Edge was just land... But it was where my brother called home, my baby sisters called home... The Basin had taken the only stallion I ever called a father and my baby sisters' father away... Then had gone a step farther to take our mother away too.. Aaron had been right to send the girls running. We would fight. We had to win. This was the one stable place my sisters had. The one place they should feel safe. My thoughts seemed to only increase my drive to beat this Foothills mare into a pulp. I did not care about her family or reasons for being here. Maybe outside of here we could of been friends, but not now. Not after she joined those trying to hurt my family.

As my wings beat continuously, and my front legs thrash in some sort of an attack I feel them connect with her body, well her left shoulder at least. My side still stings badly from her bite, but the pain drives me on. I do not know if it bleeds, and I will not look to see until this is over. I have seem enough blood on my quest, I do not care to see my own. The pain gives me yet another reason to fight on. To cause the same amount of damage she caused me, or more if I could.

It was then I noticed it. She had tucked her head down not only to protect her head but to push me. I stagger backwards, my wings aching from so much use to keep myself balanced. It was strange to use them to keep balanced, when I was still struggling to make perfect take offs and landings... But hey, if it works it works. I am at a disadvantage as I have no warrior training, so I'll use what I can. As she continues to push forward trying to unbalance me I struggle to drop back to the ground. I stop beating my wings while leaning forward, letting my body weight and gravity do most of the work. My body is covered in a light foaming sweat, even if it is unseen due to my pale coat. As I drop I bare my teeth, striking forward in a snake like movement to try and bite her right ear. I want to rip it off and forever mark her for trying to take my home. This place is MINE! You will not take it from me so easily!

[Word Count: 431
2/4 attacks
continues to flap her wings to try and keep balance as Janus pushes forward. Leans forward and stops flapping her wings to try and drop down on Janus, striking out her neck to aim her teeth for Janus's right ear. Hopes to get hold and attempt to rip the ear off]
"talk talk talk"

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official

JANUS | AZALE MONIET
- - - - -
By my verdict JANUS is the winner.
Janus receives +.5 VP and earns one point for the Grey Invaders.

Janus -- post 1 (attack only)

[Realism]
+ 1| Attack: Crowding/Intimidation
+ 1| Attack: Bite to Azale's left wing joint.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Flow.
+ 1| Easy to Read.

Azale -- post 1

[Realism]
- 1| Dropped Attack: both of us pale warriors are not going to be scared. This is almost borderline PP, as you can't dictate how Janus is feeling, and it doesn't count as a response to her trying to be intimidating.
- 1| Defense: Rearing into the air to avoid Janus' bite - there's no mention of where it hits. Her 'left side' is extremely vague. Did Janus get a mouthful of skin? Enough to draw blood, or just cause bruising?
+ 1| Attack: Flailing her hooves/wings at Janus's head.

[Prose]
- 1| Emotion: I can see where you've tried to recall events in her past, but it reads very dry.
+ 1| Prose.
+ 1| Flow.

JANUS -- post 2

[Realism]
+ 1| Injury: Strike to the shoulder.
0| Attack:Charges into Azale - No mention of direction. I'm assuming if you were facing her, and struck with your left shoulder, it would be Azale's left side as well.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Prose.
+ 1| Flow.

Azale -- post 2

[Realism]
0| Injury: No mention of pain.
- 1| Attack: If Janus was pushing Azale using her left shoulder, when Azale dropped to the ground, I don't think she would be able to reasonably hit Janus' right ear, without stating that she turned, or tried to make them face to face.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion: I have seem enough blood on my quest, I do not care to see my own. The pain gives me yet another reason to fight on.
+ 1| Prose.
+ 1| Flow.

JANUS

[Bonus]
+ 1| Breed Comparison.

[Injuries]
None.

[Creativity]
Nothing of note.

Comments: Nothing of note - I would suggest trying to emphasize your directions more when attacking :)

Azale

[Bonus]
None.

[Injuries]
None.

[Creativity]
Nothing of note.

Comments: Use your word count more! I think that would really help with the emotion in your posts. And don't be afraid to attack more than once, in a post!

TOTAL
Janus - 60
Azale- 52

image credit to Paulo Brandão