the Rift

[OPEN] Scars across the sky [Kahlua]

Skywalker Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

North.

Skywalker entertains himself with necessity; in the dark he weaves in and out of shadow, across grasslands and mires, in the sullen gloom of woodlands, down trodden paths and through thick undergrowth. He is quiet and systematic, drawing a map of intent, clearing the dark of uncertainty – curiously wandering this way and that, tracing the lines of Helovia into the dark corridors of his memory. There is quiet in his mouth that feels cold as the mists that swivel between his steps and digs into the hollow echo that snap at his heels. The quiet has grown and tastes metallic between his pursed lips; Skywalker knows what it means and while he does not deny it he resents it. Company. Try as he might it is an instinct he cannot quell, and it picks at him like the vulture on the carcass.

So he has headed north for some reason and finds himself climbing up a snaking path; through mist and fog, peering down with every rock that scatter and fall down the mountainside by decree of his shuffling hooves. The hard rock underfoot cries sharply with his every step and the sound screams mockingly in his ears. Someone more apt at climbing might find the rhythmic sound assuring, he realizes – not without bitterness – but Skywalker finds no comfort in the way the sound shears through the blinding fog. He is not precisely living up to his namesake, he thinks and purses his thin lips. Still, he moves on, resolute and unyielding, knowing that all ways lead somewhere: this one hopefully to a point from which he can see the world.

Finally – like a milky curtain – the mist parts for him. The incline is gone and the stallion lets his gaze sweep, greedily, over the unlikely vastness that gathers him up from the steep climb. Above him is the sky, close and punctured with stars: moonlight spills into his mane and slithers down his narrow shoulders, leaving the black stallion eerily aglow. In the milky light, everything seems inverted – darkness that exists in light.

Slowly, he walks into the gentle sway of the grass.

S K Y W A L K E R.

OOC: Open for any & all

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

Why was she here again? She couldn't say. Memories of her last encounter flooded her mind, causing shivers to run down her spine. Kahlua stood at the base of the mountain, looking up. To her right, several paces off, was a tree. The same tree she had lain her blood soaked body against after she had stumbled her way back down the mountain. The same tree that had held her while she tried to bring life back into her war-torn muscles. Ricochet's face laughed at her as she closed her eyes, the terrifying burned half mocking her with it's grotesque features. She opened her eyes and shuddered again. Can I do this? Am I strong enough? She didn't know if she was or was not, but why was she here if she wasn't to try?

Just one step was all she needed to take. One step would put her on the path back to the mountain's top. One step would help her overcome this fear that had become such a permeating part of her life. One step... and she couldn't take it. She stood at the bottom of the mountain, fear-frozen and childish. Flashes of blood crossing her eyes- memories of the slashes and bites that had been laid upon her in her first real fight. The lacerations punishment for a crime she didn't mean to commit. You can do this. Onni overcame her fears. Can't you? A glittering catches her eye and she turns. It's small, just the tiniest little thing. A glowing stone, plum colored, attached to a thin vine necklace. An amulet. She had heard of them. She had never seen one.

Kahlua moved to the amulet and picked it up in her mouth, eyes wide as it didn't disappear. She wasn't hallucinating the thing. Quickly, she slipped it over her head and around her neck, jealously guarding the thing in case some other should try to come take it from her. Its a sign. The moon goddess watches over you. She thought to herself and smiled. Yes, she could do this. That one step happened. Up the mountain she went then, step after step taking her higher. Through the mists and fogs she traveled, the fear dissipating even as the fogs became more dense. Then they broke, and she was at the top of the world.

Her muscles burned for the climb, but she had never been prouder of herself than this day. Ahead of her, she saw a stallion and she couldn't help but whinny to him in an elated fashion. “What a joyous day it is, good sir!” Her soprano voice was joyous and dancing like it had not been in so many weeks and months as she trotted over to him, nodding her head and smiling in good spirits. The plum stone twinkled on her neck in the moonlight. Even the darkness would not keep her down today.

@[Skywalker]
OOC| I won an amulet for Kahlua's post count, I just never actually played her finding it, so that's what the necklace thing was all about. If you don't want to be tagged when I post, just let me know :) You don't need to tag me, I'm pretty good at keeping up with threads.

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Unregistered

He flinches as her cry and the subsequent sound of her steps runs through the silence like scissors runs through old lace. For a moment he had allowed himself the indulgence of half-closing eyes and the steady tension in his shoulders to ease; the field that spread luxuriously at the crest of his strenuous climb had begged it of him. And Skywalker, while a sudden strike to his fatalist character, had complied. His blue eyes fly open, unraveling a wintry stare. Like a blanket his prior longing for company – a mere flicker, he insists – is thrown off him, feverishly. And yet, something compels him to steady himself, to stay with his newfangled (however unwanted) company. Perhaps it is the fact that he must, at some point, socialize with the inhabitants of Helovia that wrings him out of his cloth of seclusion. Perhaps there is simply something about her loud, misdirected elation that stirs his attention. A frown sours his inelegant face while he looks at her down the length of his nose, considering the comely motley of black and white. He weighs her in the quiet but vast expanses of his mind, sipping haughtily from the cup of her beauty. For a long while he is quiet and the silence seems to gather a shadow of its own as it hangs between them, he does not bother with jovial gestures. Instead, there is something else that has caught his eye. “What’s that,” he demands unceremoniously and nods towards the gleaming trinket around her neck. A step closer, a greedy, curious gleam in his eye, Skywalker extends his long, proud neck.

The snake and the thief and the liar that he is: dangerously close, dangerously curious. Perhaps Kahlua should turn on her flying heels, back the way she came?

Perhaps she should stay, for a little while.

He smiles and a wrinkled up perdition unfurls on his bitter lips, “come here, and let me have a look.”

S K Y W A L K E R.

WC: 326
OOC: I don't mind being tagged. Hope you don't mind him being nosy about her amulet.

If he was too quiet, strangely quiet, Kahlua didn't notice. She was too busy inspecting his features. She took in his black coat, his vibrantly contrasting eyes and his thin build. The frown across his face sent a flicker of confusion through the mare, her ears ticking just so subtly. In an instant, she forgot the feeling. If it was pure stupidity or truth on this strange, eternal moonlit night, Kahlua was convinced the moon goddess watched over her. The sound of nothing but the winds rushed across the chilly mountain top field and Kahlua shuddered for the chill, but not for any fear. It was the first time in a long time that she felt truly and completely like herself.

Whats that? The stallion's voice permeated the air and she only stood there with a stupid smile on her face as he came closer. If she did anything, she lifted her nose just an inch or two so as to let him see better. Yes, Kahlua was back. At least for this moment. Her childish, innocent nature was with her once again. Almost the minute she had set foot on this land the darkness had drowned the light and left Kahlua fearful with every turn she took. Today, it was like none of it had ever happened.

Has she been smarter, his next words might have ruined any good day she was having. As it was, she was too foolish to realize he may be anything but curious. “An amulet!” She proclaimed proudly, a bright laugh falling from her lips as was so common for her to do. She took a step closer to him, neck turned to the side for a moment so he could take a better look. “I've heard tell that they are drops of the blood of gods,” she paused a moment suddenly perplexed. “Although, I guess I'm not sure if that's truth or not.” She screwed her lips up momentarily, trying to think (far from her strong suit). Not a second later, she gave up on her useless pondering, her dancing voice breaking the silence once more. “I'm Kahlua! What should I call you?”

@[Skywalker]
OOC| Nope, don't mind at all!

Unregistered

He somehow understands that this place is an amphora of deep-rooted but volatile magic, and while he does not understand it he understands that these chimerical things are things that he must gather – a dragon knows that he must hoard his gold. Skywalker, however, is only a horse and has never before come across inexplicable wings sprouting from shoulders; he does not understand the concept of knifelike horns bursting from the skulls of his new brethren. And now he looks at the mare, wrapping her fondly in the wintry grasp of his gaze, elatedly (if one could describe anything in his disposition with that word) thinking how terribly close this gleaming thing that he desires is. “What does it do,” his voice is level and he remains bolted to his moderation although he’d rather abandon his reticence and snatch that gleaming little thing from her. He does not find a great deal of intellect simpering anywhere in her eyes; it should be no great feat for him to convince her to bend to his greed. Somehow, it always seems as if they do. His lips curve upward and he stretches his neck a little further, letting his sooty muzzle graze against the small object around her neck. Perhaps he does this a little too eagerly, perhaps an allude of some disappointment glows like sterling through a small crack of his well-kept stronghold of discretion: it would bee too easy, he thinks as a strand of her mane tickles his inelegant nose.

Are you turning soft, Skywalker?

No, that isn’t it. Skywalker, however terrible he might be, is a proud creature who (although he rarely shows it) values his dignity and sense of decency higher than his almost desperate affinity for the astringent wine of ruthlessness. However unlikely that may seem. Again, he harnesses his urges and does so quite resentfully. The grass underfoot has somehow sprung into life and fills the cool air with emerald sweetness; it sickens him but the thin stallion lowers his inelegant head nonetheless, distractedly tearing a mouthful from the dark, pungent soil. What to make of this sudden, deplorable failure of character, the question echoes sullenly in his head and he glares at the vacuous mare, as if she were the one to blame. “Skywalker,” the exasperation in his voice is as evident as his aforementioned frown, and silently he questions why exactly he should bother giving her his name.

Perhaps she can be of use, he reminds himself while the amulet around her neck glints and taunts.

“Tell me, Kahlua, what would someone like me have to do to get some of your magic,”

a rhetorical question?

S K Y W A L K E R.

WC: 443
OOC: Sorry about the wait

What does it do? His question broke the air and she opened her mouth, only to find no words coming out. She, who hardly knew how to shut up when it was good and proper, had nothing to say. For a second she sad there dumbly, although her stupidity was quickly interrupted by the stallion reaching forth to touch the plum colored stone. She shuddered as his lips brushed against her chest. Something about him was making her feel uncomfortable, but she trusted in her goddess and let the stallion do as he please... for now. The love and compassion of the gods only went so far, of course.

Their meeting was suddenly interrupted by the growth of grass underfoot and Kahlua stepped away from the stallion a stride. “Hototo?” She said the name softly, turning her head left and right to see if she could find the ram-horned god-son in her midst. He was not there, however, and she absentmindedly reached down to grab a mouthful of the sweet greens. If this is not the work of Hototo, then whose work is it? She wondered to herself, though her musings were cut rather short.

Skywalker, he claimed and she once again set her gaze to him. She caught the tone this time and flickered her ears, wondering if she had done something wrong. “I don't know exactly what it does,” she said finally, realizing she had not answered his question. Perhaps that was why he was upset. “It has the magic of the gods.” She offers in hopes that it will appease him. Tell me, Kahlua, he began and she laughed brightly as he finished. She had no concept of rhetoric. “Oh, I have no real magic, my friend,” she responded, thoughts falling once again to Hototo and those that did. “The gods grant gifts when they are pleased. I suppose this is my gift for fighting to keep the Qian, my herd, in command of the World's Edge.” She paused a moment and shook her head. “I think the moon goddess must not want the racist unicorns in her land.”

@[Skywalker]
OOC| No worries :)

Unregistered

He shrugs and moves to the side, already weary of their idle conversation. As quickly as it came the realization and want for magic abandons him and he looks at the naïve mare with a growing sense of restlessness constricting his patience. Skywalker really has no more business with her, there is no beat of attraction, nothing interesting she could give him and he has discarded the idea of stealing her little trinket. She presents herself as an unlikely vessel of valuable information – the black stallion assumes that whomever she answers to has not shared any important secrets with the mare, given her apparent habit of speaking so freely. He is about to turn on his heels and return to the murky depths of the spectral marsh when he changes his mind. Perhaps she can be of use, he reminds himself, perhaps this mare can take him to the gods, deliver him unto the possibility of harnessing some magic of his own. His ears swivel atop his head and he turns toward her again – an interesting concept, indeed. “Gods,” he begins with his gaze firmly set on her, “will you take me to them?”

“Perhaps you can show me your gods, acquaint me with them so that I, in time, may earn magic of my own?”

Although he does not doubt his abilities as a fighter, he understands that he will always be at a certain disadvantage without magic; the want returns. “And maybe tell me something about yourself on the way, where do you belong? I assume it is not with the racist unicorns, hmm?”

He decides to play nice, for now.

S K Y W A L K E R.

WC: 273
OOC: I've been trying to get a decent reply to you, sorry it took so long. I thought maybe they could go to VOTG and speak to the gods or something? Sorry about the AWFUL post, I'll do better next time :p

Though the stallion was growing weary of their time together, Kahula was reveling in it. She was a social butterfly by nature. Meetings with others gave her energy and made her feel reinvigorated. Especially now, while she was so proud of herself for conquering her fear and climbing the mountain to it's summit, she wanted to be in the presence of another. Being by herself was more than useless to the mare. Any time spent by herself was mostly silent, her brain not being equipped to ponder the workings of the world. Yes, she needed company like she needed air and she was determined to spend some more time with this stallion, whether he wanted it or not.

Will you take me to them? His question makes her eyes grow wide, not in fear but excitement. She had not yet been to the veins of the gods where their thrones sat upon the ground so mightily, but she had heard tell of where it was and was more than excited to see the place herself. “Some of them are gone from this land right now,” she said, repeating information she had learned from Hototo and then motioning up to the moon. “The sun does not rise because our lord of the light has gone from us. But I believe I know where the gods stay. I can take you there, at the very least, so you might know where it is in the future!”

So excited to be useful, the mare was nearly bounding out of her hooves. At once, she set off at a trot for the path that led down the side of the mountain. She looked back once to see if he was following as he began to speak again. Letting his question fill the air, and trusting that he was behind her, she began to speak again, her idle chatter pleasant enough for herself but likely a simple annoyance to the stallion. “I live in the World's Edge, led by queen Mirage the DragonHeart and Thor the GentleHeart. Our herd asks only for peace and equality in the land. We welcome any who wish to further this goal with us.” She paused for a moment, her heart swelling with pride. She loved the land she called home immensely, more than she ever thought would be possible. “I came from a long way off... my home burned to the ground and I lost my family. I have found new family here, though.” She fell silent, a stupid smile plastered on her face as she continued on down the path of the mountainside, happy to spend some more time with this somewhat frightening, but rather intriguing, stallion.

@[Skywalker]
OOC| Again, no worries at all! I don't think any of the gods will come, especially since two are still missing and the other two are busy. We can just go visit the Veins, though. Feel free to start a thread. You can dictate Kahlua's position as they enter, I don't mind. If it helps you to write your post, assume she's been mindlessly chatting about nonsense the entire walk (because obviously that's what she does), lol