the Rift

Lost in the Shadowed Wood

Tellmae Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The night was unyielding and seemed to last forever. How long had it been since she'd seen the sun? The longer she traveled the darker it became above and all around as the world transformed beneath her heavy feet to a foreign and mysterious terrain the like of which Tellmae had never seen before, not even in her dreams. On the steppes a tree was a rare and far sight and usually the specimen were none to impressive and yet here she was surrounded by them in numbers thicker then a mane had hair and larger then any fallen rock the steppe wanderer had ever scaled. When she had ever entered this place Tellmae could not recall exactly but it seemed forever ago in these hours of the dragging night. Fear gripped the young mares heart as eagle would its prey but it was dulled by the weariness and ache that fed in her muscles, beating and sending her flesh alight in flame with every step. However Tellmae carried onward into this deep unknown, propelled by instinct and hope that the sun would rise soon, comforted only by the slight rises in the land that reminded her of her home. The bay's pace was little more then a hastened walk that constantly slowed and bolted as ashened ears swiveled at every sound, though she was uncertain of what sounds she really heard and what was in her head in this horror wood. Shadows around her formed shapes she could not name thanks to the odd, misshapen trees and by now her strength was failing, drained by the journey and the heavy weight of sleep in her eyes.

When the sun rises you can rest, you shan't dare otherwise, that's what she kept telling herself when she watched her breath steam in the moonlit air.

When the sun rises you can rest and find home, as she climbed another rise.

When the sun rose...you shan't dare otherwise.

From then on traveled blurred, as did time. Distraction came in the form of a sparkle to her right as Tellmae was met with a gully before her that cradled a small stream in its grasp. The water that ran through it, faint though it was, glistened in the luminous moonlight as it bounced over rocks and other obstacles. Idly, Tellmae made to swallow and found that the motion nearly choked her, so parched was her throat. Overwhelmed by her need the bay glanced around before carefully making her way down to the stream, trying each foothold before placing her full weight as her limbs quaked beneath her in weakness. Once on its shore Tellmae supped at the clear water greedily, caring little of how the icy coldness kicked in her gut and instead reveled in the reprieve it gave her from the silent world around her.

When she had had her fill Tellmae spared a glance at the sky and the moons seemingly unchanging facade. It was beautiful yet at the same time hollow of all life, a light that gave no warmth to the world and certainly no comfort to the bay in its eerie stillness, for in what world did the moon not set and the sun not rise? It felt like a mockery to Tellmae, a perversion of all her wishes and suddenly, unbidden, tears brimmed in the younglings eyes and Tellmae wept openly, falling to the ground as she could stand no further under the force of her sobbing.

The bay was exhausted in spirit and despite all her efforts, was hopelessly lost in a shadowed land, alone and afraid. It was enough to defeat anyone, could she be blamed for her despair? If someone could just find her and tell her everything will be alright, maybe it'd ease a few of her tears....
---------------

(OOC: Tellmae has only been around for a day or so but she is wholly disorientated by the lack of sun and time having just crossed over into Helovia. She's also a bit flighty and tired so she's rather a bit of a baby presently and childish besides. Just a heads up)

Ayaka Posts: N/A
Unregistered

I had come here yet again. I had come to the place where I had first entered before finding my home at the Dragon’s Throat. I had come to help another out of the darkness and into my lit home. It was part of my job as a Sergeant to bring others home. I wanted to fulfill my job and recruit. I always loved the feeling of when someone chooses to follow me back to the beams of fire at the Throat. It was a feeling of pride an honor knowing that one wanted you to take them home. Everyone needs a home, friends, and even a love to be happy. If I brought someone to the dessert today, it was one step closer into happiness. It was like healing the wounded or giving food to the poor. It was one way to make someone at peace for the moment.

My fur was like shinning like a starry sky. It glimmered and sparkled like the magic that I had once found that I had. It was not that fake dullness that the moon had brought to it. My pools of lava looked through the land, trying to spot a moving figure that was in need of a home. My tail slightly rose and my maw turned up as I inhaled a whiff of the dark forest. Hmm... There was a burrow full of rabbit (I would have to remember that when I got hungry), a flock of birds were resting in a tree, some crawling insects of the ground, the refreshing aroma of pine and oak, and one more scent that lingered. It smelled like a horse. There was something with her though. It was the smell of salt. Perhaps this mare had lived at the sea before she wondered into Helovia.

My frail frame turned towards the direction of the scent and I set off to go find the newcomer. The smell of an equine pressed harder and harder against my nose as I treaded closer. My ears pricked up and I stopped as the figure of a laying horse came into my sight. Soft sobs were reputing from the mare. My eyes almost grew tears themselves. How sad it was to see this mare. She seemed helpless and without a friend. I would have to change that. Oh god, she would probably be terrified of me though. I was a predator and she was prey. Though, I was not like other wolves. I would not rip open a horse for the meat that it supplied.

I swallowed, gently tucked my ears back a little and lowered my head and tail. I slowly padded closer to the chocolate pelted mare. I walked to her side, and then gave her a little nudge with my muzzle. I sat down. “You should get up. There are dangers out in these woods and if you do not show that you are strong, then they are sure to get you.” My gentle voice rang out to her and I looked into her bi colored eyes. “If you don’t mind me asking, why do you cry?”

talkingggg

Credits

@[Tellmae]

Unregistered
The vastness seemed to echo throughout with the sounds of her crying, amplified by the chilled air and space around her like a message to the world that said " here lies Tellmae, a sad piece of work, broken and weary, leaking in tears because the night lasts forever and the sun won't rise". Despite having not seen another living thing the dark bay tried to lessen her sobbing as best she could lest she attracted monsters with the tempting sound by burying her head beneath her legs and into the earth, but in place of tears her shoulders rocked more in her desire to sleep, which she fiercely resisted falling to.

Nothing brought her comfort.

The strange scents of the tree canyon she was within assailed the young mare's nostrils, an oddly refreshing yet potent smell of whose likeness could only be compared to mint. Even the dirt from which so much green sprouted from was far from what she knew, being dark and rich and shining with crawling worms, a far cry from the pale shifting soils and sands of the steppes she had once traversed. Just where had she been spirited off too? Perhaps the haunts of her homeland had taken her, that the hillcats that had sprang on her before had not been cats at all but shapeshifting spirits that had cast her into the land of mirages! It all made sense. The moon, the woods, and all that encompassed her, a mirage. She was still home but lost in a spell. What other madness would create this realm of fleshy wood and pervaded air? The realization hit her like a jolt and it was enough to stop her tears for a moment, though it was to be short-lived.

Unbeknownst to Tellmae a figure had drawn close from the shadows. Absorbed in her thoughts and her sense of smell thrown off by the woods perfume, it was only when she felt a nudge in her side that the bay turned and saw a wolf laying beside her. A wolf that spoke. A wolf she understood. A wolf that shimmered in the moonlight. If that wasn't a sign of a haunt Tellmae didn't know what was. It had come to trick her, as the stories told, when the wanderer was near their end, to make her feel safe when all their was was danger. It meant to follow her as the vulture follows the dying till her soul could not resist being devoured.

A new fear hurried Tellmae's heart, making it beat rapidly. How did one defeat a cunning spirit? Even though the she-wolf's words were kindly her sincerity was not felt by the bay and instead the mare rose to her feet and dashed some lengths away before whipping about in a wide stance, putting on a brave face after quickly brushing off remaining tears on a foreleg. The stories told of the haunts only being able to fed off the deceived. Maybe if she told it she wasn't fooled it would let her go?

" I despaired too quickly and I'm ashamed you have had this much of me." Tellmae said hotly, her voice cracking some before catching herself, answering the haunt wolf. " But I'm on to your game, haunt. You've exposed yourself with the shimmer in your coat and I am deceived no further by your spell wood. I demand you release me at once! You will not have me any longer." The dark bay stamped a hoof loudly for emphasize on 'demand' and tossed her head. The display might have been impressive were not the rest of her legs trembling notably.
---------

(OOC: ...and things were going to be so sweet.)

Eris_ Posts: 97
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 4 Buff: NOVICE
Frostie
E R I S

Heart pumping, breathing ragged and eyes darted about, the mare was looking for a new toy or a new family member. It did not matter which. Bright blue eyes searched Helovia's threshold, her ears were perked and listened carefully. Today she was not a danger to anyone, no, today she was simply Eris. Her dragonbone crown did not sit upon her domed head and her thoughts were calm, forward thinking however she was as cunning as ever. Never was she one to speak straight forward words, oh no. More often that what her family like she had a double edged meaning to the words. She loved some of them though, in her own twisted way. Trust was a very different thing to love. Trust made you end up end, locked up or hurt. Love? Eris would do almost anything for those she had grown to care deeply for. However she would not trust them...even if their or her life depended on it.

Voices...ahead? She crept forward quickly, keeping to the shadows. The moonlight was her only friend at the moment. In fact...the moonlight would always be her only friend. She never trusted anybody else to let them become her friend. Sure, at times she...loved people. But most of the other times...well she wanted to kill them. It wasn't really her fault, the way blood of other sang to her sometimes it was really far too hard to resist. She paused watching in the shadows, finally having arrived upon the two others. Keeping behind some bushes, she faced both of them she observed their relations conversation and body language. One was a wolf, the other seemed to be a rather odd mare. Everything was rather confusing, the mare didn't seem to make much sense. Was this the time to recruit another to her family? Had she could to the threshold today just for this mare? Only time would tell.

The screaming mare appeared have have been crying, whether it was the wolf's fault or not Eris waiting in the shadows. Silently, like an undead being, the golden mare waited for her moment to appear. Even was she was normally minded this dramatic mare simply adored to make a grand entrance. Demanding to be released Eris withheld a chuckle. The mare did not seem physically bound to the wolf...she did not understand what the problem was. Shrugging out of the bushes, the mare looked over the scene with bored eyes. There was no fun in playing in this game, simply she looked at the wolf and muttered, "is something wrong here?" Quiet, thoughtful and soft her voice reached out to them. Eris today was selling herself as a fair maiden, who would never even hurt a fly! Blinking between them she waited for an answer, the darkness was hidden well away today. No matter what her original search was for, now she only wanted to help and hopefully recruit this mare.

Normally she would have barged in and threatened death to the wolf. However the scent of the Dragon's throat was in his fur. She had to respect him and his home if her family ever prayed to call upon their aid. Looking over to the mare she offered her a tender smile, hoping to convey herself as a friend. "My name is Eris," Standing proudly before the other mare, the golden dun wanted to impress. "What may I call you sweet sister?" She inquired. It was in Eris' nature to call everyone a sister or a brother. She didm not know why, perhaps it was simply a habit she had grown into. Quietly she stood facing them both still waiting for an answer for both of her previous questions. This mare could play the waiting game all day long if that's what it took to win this mare over.

644 words.
The Asylum information page If you have any questions feel free to PM me!
Also it's late so I apologise for any mistakes, I'll edit in the morning!
@[Tellmae] @[Ayaka]

They built my city on top of a grave,
Now the dead roam the street like a rotting parade,
Quarantined and forgotten for days,
These are the stories of those who have gotten away

Unregistered

This mare was nervous. I could smell the fear rising in her system. She quickly got up then sprinted a few strides away from me and then turned to face me. I could not help but give a little laugh at her behavior. Then the mare began to speak. Her words sounded like total nonsense to me. I slightly cocked my head then gave a kind smile. I stood back up then let my tail sway and I lowered my head. My body posture was showing peace, but she seemed to not be able to read this.

I don’t get what I did wrong. I just wanted to make peace with her and give her a friend. It seemed like she did not want a wolf friend though. Wait… did she think I was a spirit coming to bring her to her death? Wow, this mare was either very scared or insane. I did not know what to do now to make her calm down. Horses were farrr too confusing for me. Every one that I had met had feared me. I just don’t get why though. I did not like to cause harm. I only wanted to bring this mare to a home with food, water, and a source of light.

“Please calm down. I am not a threat. And how could I release or have you when I don’t own you? I am not trying to play games either.”

Oh gods, I was trying to stay calm, but my heart was now racing. This mare, for all I know, could charge at me and easily kill me. I would not fight back to her. I would not want to show her that I was a demon!

Suddenly, another figure appeared. "Is something wrong here?" She spoke softly to me. I looked over to her with eyes that looked quite nervous. “To be quite honest, I don’t know.” I said, my voice was slightly shaky, but still held it’s a sweet and strong ring.

My orbs of fire shifted between the two. I lifted my head a bit higher (still keeping the position of peace though). “I am Ayaka, Sergeant of the Dragon’s Throat. Like I said before, I am not here to cause harm but simply offer you a home where there is food, water, and a source of light in these dark times.”

[[Sorry for the short reply.. I didn’t know what to write ]]

talkingggg

Credits

@[Tellmae] @[Eris]

Unregistered

Tellmae
Left or right, there is only one place to go.

Confusion was the first thing to register in the dark bay's mind after her initial wave of bravado melted away like a receding tide. The haunt wolf's reaction had caught her completely off guard, balking away as if terrified, just the same as she was. It even asked her to calm down in its own shaky voice. The stories never mentioned anything like that before. Tellmae was just starting to wonder, head cocked slightly to one side when another voice broke through into the moment. Tellmae's gaze whipped to the source, fearing another sort of creature, but instead soon fell upon the figure of a mare shrugging through the shadows toward them both. Even in the darkness the dark bay could tell the gleam of the others coat; a fair gold dun with a red mane that accented the most piercing of blue eyes she had ever seen.

Tellmae nearly smiled with relief at having another of her kind nearby though she didn't let it come to her maw and instead the young bay listened to the exchange of words before her. After all, this could all be a farce yet devised by the haunts... even if she was beginning to have doubts. A few of the words the wolf -Ayaka, as she soon learned- said were unfamiliar to the steppes mare. What did Sergeant mean? And what was Dragon's Throat? The latter sent a small shiver down the dark bays spine. She wasn't entirely certain if she wanted to know. At the mention of dark times the bay's ears perked a little and absently she cast her bi-colored gaze to the stars and moon above, studying the strange stillness now as if it were a piece to a puzzle. What did that mean exactly, 'dark times'? Certainly the night couldn't last forever...could it?

It was a moment or so before Tellmae realized things had gone quiet and was asked of something from Eris. Tellmae dimly recalled she'd been asked for her name. " It's Tellmae." she said, bowing her head a little while fighting a flush of embarrassment for her delayed answer, and maybe for her actions earlier. The more the young bay dwelled on it the more she felt a fool. Sparing a glance at both Ayaka and Eris, Tellmae worried at the earth beneath one hind foot to provide an outlet for her nervous energy, but it didn't help to suppress her urge to speak again. "Sorry," she began without prompt. " All this...night walking...has gotten to my head and its been dark for a while. I'm perhaps a bit...lost." The confession, minor as it were, was a bit like a weight taken off her shoulder, yet at the same time made her feel vulnerable for some reason in face of these two strangers. It in a way made sense seeing as once of the company was a wolf, though the canine in no way had expressed any desire to harm her. Oh well. Maybe in this land the wolves ate leafs. But if wolves ate leafs, what did the horses eat? Tellmae didn't care to wonder.

"blah blah blah."

@[Eris] @[Ayaka]

Eris_ Posts: 97
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 4 Buff: NOVICE
Frostie
E R I S

Watching the show unfold just gave her an immense amount of joy. Giggling at the other mare, the leader moved closer. The wolf spoke first though, as Eris had suspected, the wolf - Ayaka was from the throat. Her blue eyes hovered on her for a moment, she smelt rather delicious. However while the wolf was under the protection of The Throat Eris would not touch a hair on the wolf's head. Instead a small smile was passed to Ayaka of the Dragon's throat, then her eyes turned back to the mare that was speaking again. Tellmae introduced herself. Eris chuckled and bowed her crown head. When the blue was raised back to the mare, Eris knew that it was game on. Quite interested in having their mare join her cause, Eris spoke softly. "Yes, journey's can be quite exhausting." The insane mare muttered in a sympathetic voice. Sighing lightly as if she felt sorry for this Tellmae and the long journey she had made, the golden mare paused in silence now under the moonlight.

Choosing the soft words carefully, the golden mare wanted to be gentle yet still be impressive. "I have a place where you would be able to rest rather safely after your long journey." As a leader you didn't have much time to waste on other people. Eris knew that she was probably needed else where, she was not really trying to rush Tellmae, more...hurry the conversation along. It wasn't because Eris didn't care about the end result of this meeting, it was more that she cared about her current family more. If this mare wanted to be apart of it all she had to do was say so. There was time to play games however now was not one of them. So the golden mare jumped right into what she had to offer. "I lead a group called The Asylum. We are a band of misfits, outcasts and the insane." A smile crept over her face as she spoke. "Would you like to hear more about us?" Gentle tones, almost like easing a hurt timid animal into a hospital. Not easy but sometimes it had to be done because it was the right thing to do.

Not wanting to press the matter, the leader stepped down, glancing towards the Ayaka. Guessing that this Ayaka also had a place to offer, the Blood Mistress was being polite to her allianced friend. Normally she would have barged in, seeing the mare, wanting her and doing her best to win her over. This alliance was good for both sides had been rather clever Eris thought. Or maybe she was just chatting herself up a little bit. Turning back to the mare, Eris once again awaited an answer from Tellmae.

" "

459 words.
@[Tellmae] @[Ayaka]

They built my city on top of a grave,
Now the dead roam the street like a rotting parade,
Quarantined and forgotten for days,
These are the stories of those who have gotten away

Unregistered

Tellmae was the newcomer’s name. She stated that the night walking had gotten to her head. I shook my cranium, showing that I understood. If it was not the high beacons of fire that provided a light in the Throat, I would start to get a little whacked up myself. She also said that she was lost. Everyone was lost when they entered Helovia, or so I think. Confusion was probably running through her mind, just as it was with me when I first entered into this land.

Eris began to talk, my harks pointed forward as she said that she was from the Asylum. She was one of my herd’s allies. A smile from the golden mare got pointed at me, and I could not help but exchange the kind gesture. My tail still swayed slowly and my maw opened to speak, “I have heard many good things about the Asylum.” My fiery orbs then shot at Tellmea. “As I said before, I can also offer you a home, led by a fearless leader named Kri. Although we are called the Dragon’s Throat, do not think that we accually live in a dragon.” I chuckled a little, remembering one of the horses that I had attempted to recruit who thought that the Dragon’s Throat was for actually dragons.

[[Omg.... I am so sorry for this very short and very suckish reply D:]]
@[Tellmae] @[Eris]
talkingggg

Credits

@[Tellmae]