the Rift

[OPEN] A Glance Into the Abyss

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

TORLEIK
Death follows into your watery grave

The dark viking of a horse was slowly settling in, find this Helovia to be an interesting place. Antisocial as he was, the stoic stallion knew he should begin to network. In order to know a place, one must know those who resided within it. If he was to call the Aurora Basin his home he needed to approve of most of its inhabitants. Would he actually take the time to meet them all? Likely not. That would require far too much effort and socializing, something Torleik was decidedly against. He spoke to others most often for simple need; they had something and he required it, whatever it be: knowledge, wisdom, information...in extremely rare cases, affection.

Perhaps that would be something he found here. Snorting at his moment of foolish sentimentality, the dual-horned demon continued his slow path, exploring on his own since Ulrik's surprisingly helpful introduction to things in this place. Torleik wondered if he had made a friend. He was not used to having friends, or those who would stand with him. Would Ulrik stand with him? Truthfully, he doubted it. They had not been through any forging hellfire to solidify any measure of loyalty.

The ground here was not as snowy, the air not as bitingly cold. Casting his glacial blues about to observe his new surroundings, Torleik caught sight - he thought - of another presence. Perhaps I am not alone here. So many seem to skulk in the shadows in this place... he mused. The newcomer with the lightning bolt-like white mark down his face set off towards this unmet creature. The wind was not in his favor, as it blew his scent towards his mark rather than theirs towards him. Torleik could not discern whether this dark-coated figure was male or female until he was practically on top of her - and as soon as he was close, he was very aware it was a her.

"Pardon," he said simply, looking over this mare. She was a good deal smaller than he, though dark like he was. She had four white socks on her feet, he noted, cocking his head to the side briefly, and a white stripe down the center of her face. She was very much a unicorn, as her horn was quite long and dark, and...had a rune engraved at the bottom, his sharp eyes noticed. For a moment, something in his chest stirred. Another with a rune on their horn? Torleik felt somewhat connected to this mare because of that, having found very few others in his lifetime with such markings as he. Her air was aloof and cold, but that did not put the Friesian off; his was often the same. It carried with it a tinge of something regal - perhaps it was in her glowing amber eyes that drew him in. She was beautiful in a dark, unapproachable sort of way.

"We have not met. I am Torleik," he said with a bow of his anvil head.

@[Psyche]

[OOC: I seem to remember seeing something about Psyche's horn being snapped off somewhere?? If I'm remembering correctly, then this is before that. Before any invasion stuff because I have no idea what all happened with the most recent invasion, since I sorta came in during the middle of that crazy stuff. Apologies if that's a problem! If so, then I'd assume the base of her horn is still there and Torleik could still notice the rune!]

Afrolovertje & ximpossible @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil

Loyalty, she had found, was difficult to gain.

Oh, others had told her that it must be earned, that it was not freely given. But she had never believed them. After all, they had all followed her eagerly enough when she led them from the Steppe and into the Basin; it had never occured to her that they would not follow her out of loyalty. She had never thought that she would need to do more for them. How much did they want from her? What would she have to do to prove her devotion to their race? Their distinct lack of affection and respect for their Lady troubled her, for what was she to do in the case of an invasion? Would they fight with her? Or would they lay down their arms, so to speak, and turn her over to the enemy? How many of her subjects truly followed her belief?

Too many questions; there were always too many questions now. The date of the invasion, meticulously and secretly planned, was approaching, and she was left to wonder if her subjects would truly follow her into battle. Were they really devoted? Did they really believe? She did not know, and she was not one to ask. And so it was with a sense of impending doom and paranoia that she wandered through the lands that night - or was it day? Who even knew anymore? The darkness pressed in on her, and though she welcomed its warm embrace, she was not comforted. The darkness allowed her to hide, that much was true, but it did not offer wisdom or affection. No, those were things that she was not likely to get any time soon, particularly with the disappearance of her King...

A voice snapped her out of her reverie, and she turned to find its source, her auds pricked curiously. He was new, she was certain of that, for she would have remembered him. He was strongly built and dark as night, with odd marks down his face and a lovely pair of horns. His belly might have been a lighter shade, though in this light she could not tell. His eyes held her attention, for they were a brilliant shade of blue, and she was aware of the fact that he was handsome. Perhaps it was her lonely, paranoid delusions, but she felt it all the same. You've been missing Mauja for too long, she chastised herself as she smiled cooly at the newcomer. "Hello, darling," she said in that clear, hypnotizing voice. "I am Psyche the DarkEmpress, the Lady of the Basin. Welcome home."

There was something oddly warm in the purr of her voice.

[OOC | Well. That took a different direction than I thought it would. :| Sorry for the wait!]

@[Torleik]

[W/C | xxx]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

New as he was, Torleik was not privy to the machinations of the Basin leaders and had no inkling of the impending invasion. If he had, he might have elected not to fight, lacking in loyalty as he was to anyone here. Fighting was something Torleik understood and did well, but it took a reason to truly fight. Being displaced from this location to another within this land did not motivate him overmuch; it would just be another new 'home' to acclimate to and figure out where - if - he fit in.

His discovery of this dark but alluring mare turned his thoughts for a short while and Torleik was surprised to find he was speaking to the Basin's leader. Perhaps a normal stallion would have been intimidated, but he was not. Even female leaders among his people had been nothing but another mare at their core; there was nothing inherently holy about a leader. Most leaders had gaping faults large as their admirable qualities that had put them in their place of power - unless those faults had worked in their favor to displace and step on others already.

That Psyche greeted him so made Torleik feel strange. Her voice warmed him, but he was no fool. There was a blade beneath those words, something sharp and dangerous.

But she had welcomed him home.

Home, as if he'd been missed here, and she was pleased to see him.

Lonely, uprooted and empty as he was, that small gesture clouded his judgement and dulled his instincts telling him to be wary. He was being paranoid, he told himself. Just because many of the mares he had met thus far were marginally unhinged didn't mean they all were. This woman led the Basin, after all - they must have some faith in her for good reason.

And she wanted him here.

"My Lady," Torleik rumbled. If she was the Lady of the Basin, where was her Lord? "This eternal night may hide all manner of beasts more threatening than myself. You seem confident, walking about by yourself - lost in your thoughts as you were," he added, subtly letting her know he had been aware of her before she had discerned his presence. Torleik knew it was important to walk a fine line with leaders: you had to be just dangerous enough for them to wish to use you on others, and not dangerous enough for them to worry you would use yourself on them. It was a long game, one he did not overly enjoy, but such were the necessary politics of being a subordinate who wished not to remain nameless.

TORLEIK

"I don't know what isn't real, but it's easy to beat me. Suck it in. Life is sink or swim: love is blinding, no surviving. Can we live a life of peace and happiness? I don't think so. No denying I am scared to lose the things I love. I'm in control. This is how, this is how it's going to end."

No man is an island.

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil

Torleik would be correct to identify the sheathed blade hidden in every inflection of her voice, for it was indeed there; had she been able to read his thoughts, she might have been impressed by the quickness with which he came to understand her, and she might have been equally perplexed as to her greeting. She had, after all, welcomed a great many new members into her land, but it had not been quite so effortless then, nor quite so warm. She was not, by all accounts, a kind or particularly benevolent mare, preferring to rule with a haughty demeanor and demands of perfection from her followers. And yet she demanded neither from the newest knight in their midst, instead electing to give him the benefit of the doubt, for no reason other than she liked him.

And it was really such a rash decision to immediately enjoy the company of a stallion, really, particularly when she didn't know him from Adam and she pined after another, rather absent steed. She might have sighed, if she were the kind to think her actions through, but being blessedly incapable of such logic, she simply offered a sweet smile to the stallion. It was so very out of character, but then he didn't know that, did he?

And then he commented on her solitude, and she regarded him with an odd sort of gleam in her eyes. The hint that he had known of her presence was not missed, but another thought overshadowed it: was he flirting with her? Of course, our Empress was not one to understand the relationship between stallions and mares, having made her own out of convenience rather than love, but at times she liked to think of herself as well-versed in the varied forms of courtship. Unfortunately for Torleik, this was one of those times. "I daresay confidence is a requirement of a leader, wouldn't you, darling?" Again, she smiled that oddly sweet smile at him. "It appears that it is a trait that we share, you and I. You, like me, are alone in the endless night." She raised her brows. "Aren't you?"

[W/C | xxx]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

TORLEIK
Death follows into your watery grave

Torleik did not know that Psyche held feelings for another, nor that said other had gone missing in a strange event involving water and being spirited away. Nor was he aware that her actions were particularly out of character in relation to her normal demeanor. His words about her solitude hit home and inwardly, he smirked. He was not a simple soldier; there was much more cleverness and wit to this thick stallion than met a first study. Was he flirting with her? A little, perhaps, to stroke her ego – but in truth, she was a pretty mare. He did not have to try overmuch to force the flirting; though, true to his nature, it was not a gaudy, easily spotted thing.

He could tell that her affected manner of speech (calling him ‘darling’ and such) was a habit, but he found he rather liked it – even if such little pet names meant nothing and were likely only sprinkled in here or there to make him feel important. Torleik didn’t mind such manipulative attempts as long as they didn’t stand to harm him or blatantly sway him one way or another. Ingratiation was one thing; full-blown manipulation, another. Psyche’s returned barb, noting that he, too, was alone, stung in a place he did not show. You have no idea how alone I am, female, he mentally grunted, angered somewhat. Torleik pushed the emotion away. She was ignorant and she could not be held accountable for the pain her observation caused. Taking a few steps closer, the rabicano stallion allowed himself to tower over the Lady of the Basin for just long enough. “And night is such a painful time to be alone, is it not?” he returned pointedly, discerning that she was somewhat alone by choice, whereas he was alone for many reasons but. "Especially when it could be shared with another."

[OOC: I feel like this post sucks. I don't know why I'm having such trouble -_- I apologize]
Afrolovertje & ximpossible @ DA

No man is an island.