the Rift

[OPEN] day has not yet dawned [Phaedra]

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

The endless night continues, as black as ever, my ivory pelt standing out starkly from the darkened skies. My wings beat gently, barely having to work to keep me aloft as I ride a thermal that I didn't expect to exist. They were always present in the day, before the gods disappeared; to have them at night is rare, and so I relish the ability to soar while it lasts. I don't know when I will find another, unless I venture toward the sea, and I do not intend to travel that far from my home. Not now. Not so soon after the invasion. I sigh as I coast, my head and heart troubled by the events that transpired. The Throat had been invaded by unicorns - only unicorns. It hit to close to home, since that was how my parents died; racist unicorns flooded out land, murdering them before my eyes. It was only through luck that I had escaped...

As if that isn't enough to bring the fear of the gods into anyone's soul, word has it that the Edge experienced a simultaneous invasion, comprised of the Basin's unicorns and the Grey. Phaedra. I know her and love her; I cannot understand why she would partake in such a catastrophic event. I don't know if she did, in truth; I was not there, I did not see it, I did not see her. But if she did? How could she fight against those she loved? How could the Grey ally themselves with such monsters? Why would they attack a herd that has given them no enmity? Why? Why?

The thermal drops off, and I drop with it, losing a few lengths before the flapping of my wings stabilizes me. I am tired, I realize suddenly, though I fear it is mental exhaustion more so than physical; nonetheless, I bank to the left, allowing myself to drift steadily lower in a wide spiral. The ground approaches; I flare my wings, pausing my momentum and allowing me to set myself daintily on the ground, where I flutter my wings a few times, settling the feathers, and then fold them easily to my sides. Birdsong has treated the Heavenly Fields well; I can feel the spring of fresh grass beneath my hooves, and in bright light, I would no doubt see the myriad colors of the flowers that bless the earth here. Instead of straining to see, however, I simply lower my cranium to the ground and begin to graze.

"Talk talk talk."
@[Phaedra]

Sohalia
Don't wanna leave this life knowing I barely tried...
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud
I'm going to show him what a little girls are made of
Gunpowder and lead</style>

Although the Moon-bitch had forced Phaedra to complete an obnoxiously degrading quest - while pregnant no less - still the golden spy felt comforted in the presence of the Moon. Or perhaps it was the stars? For was it not a creature comprised of light, who descended to gift her with even more magic, than the Goddess had given? Even so, Phaedra had been a part of the attack on the Edge - the Goddess' land. Perhaps coming here was not such a good idea after all - but her wings were weary from flight, and her chest ached from the large purple bruise that bloomed there.

Land Stella comfortingly commanded, flying lowering in hopes that her bonded would follow. As her dark gaze looked for a place to land, she instead saw the whitish outline of a familiar face. Sohalia! She mentally sent to Phaedra, before hurtling downwards towards the white mare, carried upon white wings of her own. Trilling pleasantly, hoping that seeing her friend would cheer her bonded up, Stella hovered next to Sohalia - her bright orangey-yellow face displaying an avian smile.

Following Stella down, a wave of anxiety washed over Phaedra, at the sight of her friend. Damnit, damnit! she thought grating her teeth. Last time she saw Soh, she was newly pregnant. Now however her sides indicated that she had already given birth - some time ago even. And where had Phaedra been? Oh just flailing around, capturing Ophelia and making a mess of things. No big deal.

Landing lightly upon the grasses, favoring her front right leg which irritated the bruise on her chest, an only half-forced smile graces her features. They are close enough now, that Phaedra doesn't feel the need to pretend. Her body glistens as if coated in starlight, as she tucks her wings neatly to her sides. "Oh Soh! You've had it already! I'm so sorry!"

Image Credits
 HP: 45.5

Sohalia

Though our night has not ended, life has gone on. As I nibble tentatively on a few blades of grass, I realize that they taste precisely the same as they always have. A step forward, and I swish my tail gently, displacing a few flies that had decided that my hind legs would make a good perch. Crickets chirp and buzz in the night, a quiet cacophony of life that had abounded despite the lacking sun. It is dazzling, when one stops to think about it, but it loses its luster when one remembers the lives that have been lost, the wars that have been fought, the wrongs that have been committed in the absence of our gods. Though I cannot blame them for their disappearance - for who am I to question to gods? - I cannot quite bring myself to forgive their abandonment.

The night, though it has been long, soothes me, and I find myself relaxing in ways that I have forgotten I can. The stress of bearing another child, a fatherless child at that - well, for all intents and purposes - has crushed upon my heart; it is only here that the weight begins to lift. The feeling does not last, however, for my peace reminds me of my first visit to these fields. My first encounter with Rowan. My heart aches so desperately at this train of thought that I must close my eyes against the tears that threaten to spill. My friend, my sister, my soul... gone. Forever. Never again will her gentle smile pull an answering one in return from me; never again will her incredible intelligence amaze me; never again will she dote upon my children. A single tear overflows; I take a shaky breath, momentarily overcome with emotion.

A familiar trill calls my attention, and with a slight shudder, my head jerks upward, my auds pricking in the general direction from which the noise had come. I shake my head, trying desperately to banish the morose thoughts, and as Stella comes into view, I offer a small smile. "Hello, Stella. It's lovely to see you," I say, my voice barely louder than a whisper, though my pleasure is heartfelt. If Stella has arrived, then Phaedra cannot be far behind; perhaps a visit from my unlikely friend will cheer me, despite her potential involvement in the battle. A twang of guilt pinches in my mind - should I fraternize with a potential enemy? I have never cared for politics, and as Phae enters the scene I find myself caring even less.

I nicker warmly to Phae as she lands, a genuine smile, larger now, on my maw. I close the distance between us to greet her with a touch of my muzzle to hers; it is difficult to tell in this light if she is injured, or if her feathers are ruffled, or, in short, if she has been up to anything remotely like fighting. "Phae, it's so good to see you," I say, meaning every word despite the rift that has bubbled up in my breast. "Yes, she's a beautiful filly," I add in response to her apologies. "Her name is Zenobia. You'll have to come say hello!" My smile falters slightly; I would love for her to meet my younger daughter, but I am not sure that she can. The relationship between our herds is still an unknown to me.

It has never occurred to me that Phaedra's friendship may not be true, but I can say that standing in that meadow, I wondered if she thought she could use me as a means to gain information. The thought was quickly banished, of course - of the many times we have spoken, she has only ever listened to my personal troubles and attempted to help me - but it had surfaced nonetheless. And these things, once thought, cannot be forgotten. I want to apologize, but I don't know what for; I have done nothing wrong, have I? "I would have come to see you, but..." I trail off, awkwardly shifting my weight. "I... there are rumors... I don't know that I would be welcome in the Foothills."

"Talk talk talk."
@[Phaedra]

Sohalia
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud
I'm going to show him what a little girls are made of
Gunpowder and lead</style>

As Soh's muzzle gently brushes against Phae's, a warmth spreads through her weary body. It is like nothing she knows - this feeling of friendship. Does she have other friends? No...not truly. Ophelia couldn't properly be called a friend, nor Tor. And the males in her life - Levi, Apollo, even Tio at one point - they all wanted her for something else. Friendship it seemed, was always an after thought. Even with Tolio - there encounters began as passionately as they seemed to end. There was nothing friendly about their relationship at all - it always burned brightly and vigorously, etching emotional scars where ever it went. But this...this was different. Perhaps it was a sort of affection that Phaedra felt for Soh - her snowy friend was subtly beautiful - the way a doll, or a finely spun piece of glass might be; although Phaedra thought Soh was sturdier than she seemed. So no, not just attraction there was...something deeper, something more stable in the warm pulse she felt, as Soh gently greeted her.

Persistence, perhaps? A sort of...trust?

As Soh began speaking, the thought tumbled from Phaedra's mind, but the warmth in her breast persisted, nonetheless.

"Zenobia.." She mumbled softly, as if trying out the same. "An interesting name. And...her father?" Her head tilted slightly, unsure if the question was perhaps inappropriate or not - at the time, Sohalia had been worried about Note...although Phaedra hadn't heard of the winged-stallion returning. Who knows, perhaps her beautiful friend had tamed the beastly stallion who sired young Zenobia.

As Sohalia continued, a look of dismay instantly wilted Phaedra's perky gaze. Her chest, where Res's wound had been inflicted, suddenly throbbed anew, and unconsciously she reached a wing forward to gently rub the area.
"These alliances...they...Ktulu made a contract with the Basin. We were called upon when they invaded...I don't believe any of the Foothills entered the Throat but...we were sent to the Edge...I-" Her voice trailed off, as her lithe form shook slightly as she tried to hold in the emotion she suddenly felt emulating from her wound. She had joined Ophelia, at the offer of family and protection. But she never believed that their small band would end up as it had - killers for hire. Especially aligned with a bunch of racist Unicorns. It made her skin crawl to think of what had happened - to see the frightened morgan in her minds eye, shrieking and throwing things at her from the mists below.

With a racking sigh, her head lowered to chest level. "They sent me Soh. Me!" Her tail swished against her hocks, as she closed her eyes to try and blot out the ramifications of her actions. But the Edge was not lost, nor the Throat...only the Grey's reputation.

@[Sohalia]

Image Credits
 HP: 45.5

Sohalia

Trust is something that is so very difficult to gain and so very easy to lose, and yet when one is faced with a situation in which one they love is near the brink, they will almost always choose trust over abandonment. Oh, how easy it would be to blame Phaedra for the invasion from the north, to tell her that a true friend would never have turned on us as they did, to turn from her in disappointment and hurt - but as easy as it would be to turn my own negativity onto my friend, it is easier to give the glittering fae the benefit of the doubt, so to speak. It is easier to allow her excuses, easier to believe her dismay. Is that what I have become these days? One who takes the easy way out? I refuse to believe it, but in my heart I fear it is true.

But not in this. No, I trust Phae, and regardless of any enmity between our herdlands, I am sure of her friendship. Perhaps this is the love I am meant to find in life; after all, my bouts at finding the true love of a stallion have failed miserably. Perhaps it would be better if I simply accepted my female friends, kept would-be suitors at arm's length, and continued to work. But one thought of the smoldering look in Gaucho's eyes sends the thought scampering for the recesses of my mind. The physicality of our relationship is almost an addiction, though not one that has been satisfied of late. Is it duty or lack of desire that has kept us apart since Zenobia's conception? Either way, I am nervous that I will be forgotten, replaced with another youthful, captivating female. Gaucho is not sentimental, after all - it would be easy for him to simply allow primal instinct to take over with yet another femme, and then another, and then another. I am just a number, when all is said and done, aren't I?

"A warrior princess kind of name," I admit with a smile, my friend's soft murmur drawing me out of my reverie. "As for Gaucho... well, I'm not sure where I stand with him. He's not exactly the father type. Or the mate type, for that matter." I sigh, then try out a joke: "Oh, how far I've fallen, hmm?" The fake smile drops from my lips with a wry twist, though the time for tears is behind me. I am not who I thought I was, and that is that. Besides, there are greater things to deal with at the present moment. Phaedra speaks of alliances, and I make a soft noise of pity. Skilled though she may be in spy work, I cannot imagine my dainty, flirty friend getting her hooves dirty in combat.

"I don't blame you, Phae," I reassure her softly, again nudging her softly. "It's just... well, how am I to visit my best friend if our herds are at odds? You'd think they'd have a bit more decency than to send you off into battle, now, wouldn't you?" This joke succeeds, at least in its execution: my eyes dance lightly, though they remain soft. I want her to know that I am on her side.

"Talk talk talk."
@[Phaedra]

Sohalia