the Rift

Can't Go Home, Can't Stay Here

Mercy Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
[Image: Mercy.png]

Twigs broke and leaves rustled as a mare colored brown with white patches on her rump, stomach and legs stumbled from the forest that was on the edge of the small clearing. Her black mane floated wildly through the air behind her as she broke through and her black orbs took in her surroundings. Mercy shuddered softly and felt as her legs buckled beneath her. She plummeted to her knees. How long had she been wandering?

A few hours?

A day?

A week?

At this point she couldn't tell and wasn't quite sure that she had wanted too. As long as there was a massive amount of distance between her and her past she could allow herself to stop and rest.

Water. If I can just make it to some water….

She let her thoughts wander as she searched the area for a stream or a pond. Any source of water would do. Her head was so heavy. Her legs were so tired. It became increasingly clear to her that even if she could locate water it was doubtful that she would make it to the source. She just needed to rest. She just needed to close her eyes and…..

Fire! There was fire everywhere. To her left and right she could see horses in a frenzy trying to escape the flames as they licked their way across everything. They should have been far from here by now, but the attack had come sooner than they thought. Hooves breaking the earth, lightning striking the trees, her father screaming at her.

RUN MERCY! RUN AND DON’T LOOK BACK!

Her head shot up quickly. No, she couldn't just close her eyes. That was when the nightmares came. With a soft sigh she gathered her feet underneath her and, though she didn't think it possible, she stood.

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

Having just came from a meeting with an outcast and a strange, thrashing stallion, Kahlua was a little annoyed. She had been stalking the woods lately in an attempt to recruit more friends to the Edge. With the return of the greenery and the Earth God, the land had a renewed life. Of course, so did all the inhabitants. With competition high, Kahlua had been beaten out by the Asylum twice now. Not that recruitment was a competition, of course. Still, the recent invasion hung heavy on the mare's mind. Surely if an outcast group got large enough they would begin looking for a home. She only hoped that it would not be her home that she had come to love and know so much in these past months.

With the moon's light to guide her, Kahlua had considered heading back home when she suddenly heard the rustling of another in the lands. Well, if it was an established citizen she would at least be able to say hello. If a newcomer, then perhaps her chances were not all lost. Altering her course, Kahlua weaved through the trees and brush until she came closer to the noise. She took careful steps, not to be quiet (she certainly was not) but rather to maintain the clean coat and hair that she worked so hard on- charcoal on clouds. Dusty black on stained white was no look for her. If she had a vice, it was certainly her vanity.

Arching her neck just so, so as to present a pretty, and hopefully enticing, picture, Kahlua stepped into the wanderer's field of vision. Inspecting the other just briefly, Kahlua found her to look rather exhausted. Kahlua knew the feeling herself. Too many fights and up and down emotion swings in the past weeks had left her drained of all energy, though she had been recouping rather nicely in the last few days. “Hello friend,” she said kindly, her dancing voice breaking the relative silence. “Welcome to Helovia, my name is Kahlua. How can I help you?” She cocked her head just slightly but otherwise waited patiently for a response. Perhaps the third time was a charm.

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Unregistered

A flash of fear danced across her eyes and the muscles in her powerful hind legs flexed in preparation to run before Mercy was able to stop and scold herself. Being one of the only survivors to escape her home she had to be strong. Her father had always told her that a collective people could only be as strong as their leader and though she was not in any position of power, she remembered the lesson well. Taking a breath and turning her eyes towards the stranger she raised her head just ever so slightly in an attempt to make herself look slightly less exhausted. If this stranger had not yet attacked her it was most likely that she was friend and not foe.

The horse that stood before her was no doubt beautiful and Mercy lowered her head slightly in embarrassment of her appearance. Covered in a mix of dirt, sweat, and blood she felt inferior to this Kahlua. “Hello, my name is Mercy,” she said as she dropped her neck into as graceful of a bow as she could manage given her physical condition. “I seek shelter. My home was lost in battle and barely any survived. We are now scattered with the four winds and I wish to start over. To forget.” She turned her eyes to the moon in contemplation. Did she really wish to forget? Or was it that she believed that she had to in order to survive.

She turned her head back in the direction of the other female and reached a foot out to move closer to this possible new friend. Any friendly contact at this point was welcome. Mercy was the kind of horse who loved others. All the conflict, hatred and violence she had been thrown into recently was taking its toll on her. Apparently the attempted gesture was more than she could handle after the effort she put into her greeting bow, because her front legs buckled and she fell onto her knees. “I…I apologize,” she stammered quickly, “This night has been rough and my road long.”

Kahlua watched with a strange sense of knowing as the mare prepared to pack her bags and run. It was rare the Kahlua understood the feelings of others, being somewhat on the unintelligent spectrum of world, but fear in the face of stranger was something she had come to know well since entering Helovia. Ever since Onni's strange and cryptic warning of the dangers that hid in the night, Kahlua had been on edge. Perhaps that was another reason for her compulsive trips to the Threshold. Perhaps safety in numbers, the idea that a large herd in the Edge would keep her safe, was something that she strove for. If it was, it was not something she thought about to herself, but there were many things she did not think of.

Mercy. As the mare bowed her head, Kahlua afforded the newcomer the same respect. Though she took care of herself, she rarely judged others for a lack of care. As it was, she was somewhat marred herself. The long scar on a left thigh a reminder of a battle she had not wanted to fight. I seek shelter. As the mare told her story, Kahlua could not help but have her heartstrings pulled on. “I lost my home and family in a fire,” she replied, her mind drifting off briefly to remember her brother Fuhrer and the two that she had called Mother and Father.

For a moment Kahlua allowed herself to be distracted by those who now existed only in her memories. The step of the other mare brought Kahlua back to reality. She was beginning to take her own step forward, to come closer to the heartbroken newcomer, when the other stumbled to the ground. Taking a few quick steps forward out of a strange sense of motherly concern for this other mare, Kahlua quickly wondered if she had scared the mare. A preemptive, “I'm sorry,” fell from her lips as she came up to the mare. The mare's own apology reached her ears and then Kahlua let herself laugh, a quiet but lively chuckle. It was not mean or judging, just a strange habit of the mare's the laugh when she did not know what else to do.

Lowering her nose to the mare's shoulder, Kahlua reached out in an attempt to make contact. A warm breath of air blew from her nostrils before she spoke again. “Rise, if you can. I can offer you a shoulder to lean on if you need it.” Was she really so motherly as to offer this mare help? Perhaps not, and yet she was doing it. In fact, this would be the second mare from the Threshold she had offered a shoulder to lean on. “I am from the World's Edge. We are a strange and eclectic group,” she said echoing Smoke's words to the last mare she had brought home, “but our aim is only to find peace in this world.” She paused a moment to look to the mare again. “If you think you would fit among us, I would be happy to bring you there.”

Unregistered

Kahlua’s laugh reached her ears and for some reason that she didn't understand, her heart lightened. How long had it been since she had heard a laugh? So long that she probably couldn't remember if she actively tried to. Mercy closed her eyes as she felt Kahlua’s warm breath upon her and tears sprung to her eyes. She had kept herself from being vulnerable for so long that she decided to allow herself this small moment to grieve for what was lost and accept what had been given. “Thank you….”she whispered, attempting to reign the emotion in to a more manageable level. She was supposed to be a warrior, a protector of the innocent and yet here she sat feeling child-like and vulnerable under the gaze of this mare. She normally would have felt ashamed or embarrassed about these feelings, but instead she found comfort in them. She felt a strange connection to this mare that was born of both a strange understanding of the other and an intense need for companionship. Perhaps with this one she would allow herself to be more than mere acquaintances, perhaps they could even be friends. With battle imminent and chaos in her homeland, friends hadn't been a leisure that she was afforded for some time.

Mercy began to gather her legs beneath her and with a slow, jagged movement and grunt of pain she found herself on her feet and swaying the short distance that stood between her and Kahlua. Landing softly against the side of the mare she let out a soft huff of accomplishment. “Strange…I can be strange,” she said with a small chuckle, “I think I would like to go to this World’s Edge, if there are more there like you I think I will be quite comfortable.” This was it, she thought to herself, this was what she had wanted since conflict had broken out between her father’s herd and their neighbors. This was a chance for her to do better, to do more than fight and kill. She was no killer, she had only done as she had been taught and expected to do for her people. She looked up at the moon as though she hadn't seen it before. Perhaps this was her chance to find out what family really was.

Thank you, Mercy's soft words came to her ears. Following through on her rare moment of understanding, Kahlua remained quiet while giving this newcomer a moment to gather herself. Kahlua herself couldn't remember the last time she had cried. I wasn't that she didn't feel emotions, it was just that her childish understanding of them left her more prone to anger or frustration than sadness. Perhaps she had not cried for her family because she had shut the feelings away even from herself. The only thing she thought now about the fire that had burned her homeland was anger- anger at her brother for not escaping the flames with her. He could have escaped them from a different route, of course, but he still was not with her. And that was all that mattered to her.

As Mercy began to rise, Kahlua backed up a step to give her room. As she saw the mare sway towards her, Kahlua spread her limbs in preparation for the incoming weight. A soft grunt escaped her lips as the mare fell against her, though she stood surprisingly strong in spite of the additional weight. Mercy's soft chuckle was met with a tumbling noise from Kahlua's mouth. “Then I will take you there, my friend.” She turned to the side and nudged the mare softly in a show of friendship. “The trip may take some time, considering your strength, but I think there is a stream nearby, perhaps it will help?” The last part was a question, for Kahlua was no healer and not very sure of herself in the matter, but she was trying to help. With that, she took a step off, heading towards the stream and then World's Edge.

OOC| Will start a thread in the Edge and tag you :) It should be up by tomorrow evening!