the Rift

[OPEN] The Price of a Life [Onni, Open]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

With a sigh, Kahlua had turned her way south from the Threshold and began trotting towards the warm sands of the Throat. She had been putting off this trip for far too long, at first uncertain of what the proper etiquette was and then later occupied with invasions and healing and trying to get back to normal. Still, the lingering feeling that she needed to go back to the sandy lands had not faded from her mind. Onni had saved her life from that terrible monstrosity that had crawled from the depths of hell and dared to attack Helovia. Even if she did not know to say thank you, she knew that she must say thank you for her own sake and for the sake of diplomacy.

As she moved with purpose to the south, she occasionally touched her nose to her chest. The plum colored stone that hung around her neck gave her strength now. She had come into the lands naïve to the evils that could and would make their way into her life. Onni had tried to warn her, though Kahlua had tried her best not to listen. Still, ignorance is not always bliss. What had started as Kahlua believing the shaman to be crazy had quickly turned into Kahlua's reality. Every shadow was capable of holding another monster, every tree acting as a wall to hide another unnatural being. But where Kahlua's bravery failed she could not look to the gods for solace. They had seen fit to bring an amulet into her life. And though Kahlua was unaware of what power it held, she felt safer just knowing it hung about her neck.

What should have been a long journey seemed to pass by in an instant. Before she knew it the lands were turning looser, the soil slowly giving way to sand, and she slowed to a walk. With the moon shinning down brightly above her, Kahlua stopped near the edge of the border that Onni had welcomed her into so long ago. Though she had been a welcome visitor a season past, she could not be certain that her status was the same and she had no desire to incite the wrath of any warriors in the land. “Onni!” Her dancing voice sang brightly out, hoping only the shaman would come.

As quickly as she called, however, she regretted it. Somewhere in these lands, if he was indeed home this day, was the stallion with the metal collar. The winged stallion with golden, pupil-less eyes. He would know her voice. She could only hope he would not come. Her two meetings with him had been wildly strange and she was in no hurry to fall prey to his horrors again. And so she stood, shifting from side to side in confusion (for what she was to say if Onni should arrive) and fear (that the pinto pegasus should appear), hoping that she would know what to say when the time came.

@[Onni], and anyone else that wishes to join

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

It is quite by coincidence that Onni is able to meet Kahlua, though likely not from the direction she was expecting. Walking back from the Wilds, the shaman approaches from behind the other painted beauty, her eyes watching her hooves plod in the grasses which dwindle to sands. In fact, even Lyhty is sleeping peacefully upon her shoulders, happy that his friend has finally calmed her nerves after venturing from her home.

The tears dried from her eyes, leaving no sign of the sadness upon the alabaster face. The blood had been washed from her coat in the salty waters of the ocean. The burns had all but healed, white hairs growing back over the muddled skin. She looked much better than she had previous to her travels, despite the fact that wanderers normally return weary and tired. Instead, her heart was calm, her mind clear.

The beauty of this simple peace allows for the shaman's ears to quickly pick up on her own name, spoken in a familiar voice. Looking from the ground, the painted girl sees an ivory splashed figure of ebony highlighted against the night sky and the distant flame of the Dragon's Throat. "Kahlua?" she says, her voice slightly questioning as she picks up her pace to fall in beside the girl, turning her face to peer at the mare with an open smile.

"What brings you south, friend?"

ONNI the ILLUMINANT
your love is brighter than sunshine
image credits
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

After getting our new blood, the foreign brothers settled in, I checked up on Cera and grabbed Fina for one last patrol while the evening was still young. Or as young as it was going to get. In the distance I heard a cry, familiar and loud enough to resound across the bare landscape that was our home. ‘Onni’, the wind whispered. Fina chirped encouragement and flew down toward a pair of distant outlines—I leaned forward to follow. Painted limbs extended to absorb any impact that came from landing, daggers brushed sand with easy practice moments later. I settled into the ground and closed my wings. Without hesitation I sealed the distance between us at a steady walk. Fina came to rest on the junction between feathers and spine, her blue orbs swiveling to regard Onni and the Edge girl.

Instinctively I turned my attention to Onni first, with a bright smile lacing across my lips I voiced a simple greeting, “Well met sister,” politely my gaze turned to our company in common curtisy, “and you as well.” Just as those words to their leave from my lips, did memory kick in long enough for me to realize who it was that stood by and by…the strange lass from the Threshold. Yes, though our meeting had been brief, her manner had been strange. Indeed the girl had shrank from me out of fear or dread…though I still couldn’t warrant the reason for such behavior. Hadn’t I been nothing but kind? Nothing but genuinely compassionate toward our allies?
Our colours come alive when I collide with you
with you, with you
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

It did not take long for her call to be answered, surprisingly from behind. Kahlua's ears swiveled backwards as she heard her name fill the strange silence of the desert. The forest of the Edge there were always sounds- birds chirping, trees swaying, ocean waves lapping and small mammals scurrying about. Though the quieter atmosphere here was not unnerving or upsetting, it was strange. Kahlua did not remember feeling this way on her first trip here- perhaps she had not been so used to the Edge them. Turning her head to look behind her, she found the source of the familiar voice moving under the moon's light. What brings you south, friend,” Onni finished and Kahlua nodded her head deeply in greeting. She was glad to see the mare again, it had been too long.

“Onni, my friend, it is good to see you,” she said with a smile. For a moment she ignored the question, falling silent as she tried to figure out what to say. In the end, she came up with nothing more eloquent than what was obvious. “You saved my life. I came to thank you. I should have then...” She trailed off, not wanting to admit to the open air she was a coward and that she had run off into the brush to sulk after bruising herself so badly in an attempt to attack the monstrosity. Still, as she was no secret keeper, the words came out soon enough. “I got hurt scared and ran off... I suppose you were right about the monsters in the darkness. You'll have to forgive me for ever doubting you.” She laughed then, her odd habit used as a form of a security blanket.

Well met sister, another voice came upon the moonlit gathering and Kahlua shuddered, ears dropping back suddenly. She was not certain it was him until she looked upon him, but when she caught sight of his form she shrunk back. Taking a step closer to Onni, Kahlua eyed the stallion with annoyance. He would not leave her be, it seemed. Helovia's Heart, then Threshold, and now Throat. Wherever she was, he was there too. And though his voice was kindly, she could not help but feel her agitation shaping her words. “Sir,” she began as she had every time. “If you have come back to make good on your offer of death, I assure you for a second time, I do not wish it.” Her words were restrained. She did not desire to seem rude in front of Onni, but she could not help feeling like this plague of a stallion needed to stay out of her life.

Hidden Account

A simple smile rests on the pale white face of the shaman as the mare considers her response. Onni may not be the sharpest of her peers, yet it did not take the healer long to figure out that Kahlua was significantly different than many. Some might call it simple or even, for the rude folk, dumb, but the pegasus instead found it charming. The beautiful painted mare of ebony and white had a kind heart, since they had gotten off so ill to begin with - now, they were mutual friends. Only the soft, the gentle would forgive such breaches of logic and manners.

So, no matter how simple Kahlua was, the Illuminant thought her a pleasant girl. Fun, happy, and, at times like this, sweet. The response given surprised the mare a bit, though, causing her lips to turn down in a frown of confusion for a moment.

Saving her life? Thinking back, Onni remembered that the girl had been at the scene with the giant fire monster. Her frown turns to a smile, and the tobiano gives a good hearted chuckle. "I would say nearly knocking you off your hooves hardly counts as saving your life," the gentle voice responds. "However, I am always happy to help a friend in need." The truth, earnest, easy. The shaman had injured enouugh bodies recently; the bright spirited mare had lost sight of what really mattered in her life.

The Sun, her healing, and her loved ones. They needed her to be the kind shaman. The Sun would expect nothing but a shining soul, even if tarnish had found a place upon the gold.

As Kahlua speaks of monsters, Onni's attention is stolen by the sound of an approach, the flashing form of Midas, preceded by the familiar call of Fina. Lyhty chirps in response to the phoenix, and a smile widens upon soft, pink lips. "Midas," the healer returns upon his greeting, offering a nod. "Kahlua is a sister of the Edge," Onni says in response to his acknowledgement of her company. The General, of course, would need to know who resided within the borders, or Kri would have his throat.

The fear of Kahlua catches into Onni's senses as the mare scoots closer, her demeanor now agitated, and her words barbed with things that did not make sense. One of the chocolate ears flips back in confusion as the shaman views Kahlua, then back to Midas, wondering what occurred. "Surely you are mistaken, friend," the healer says, her voice quiet but calm. "Midas has a kind heart, the same as you."

ONNI the ILLUMINANT
image credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

She shrank from me, withdrew inside herself. My smile slipped away into a frustrated frown, a foreign feeling of concern and confusion spread throughout my manner. Golden pools turn to Onni for a possible explanation, maybe Onni would know why this was happening. The patched Edge lass seemed to fancy our tender healer. My Physician apparently had nothing to give, only a name and explanation of location. Both of which I had gathered from a previous meeting. Fina chirped encouragement, feeling my confusion through our bond.

“Sir,” Kahlua said, immediately my posture shifted to regard our scared friend. Lips wanted to give way, defend myself, right this obvious misunderstanding. Before they could move to counter her outward display of fear—said lass spoke first, “If you have come back to make good of your offer of death, I assure you for a second time, I do not wish it.” Surprise tightened and raised the brows upon my face. Ears leaned back, though they did not fall. It wasn’t easy to shock one such as myself. It struck me, stiffened this body—my lips flopped apart but for a moment nothing came out. All I could do was stare at this woman; a woman I had only met once or twice before at most. Apparently though, someone who wore my face had influenced her in an entirely different way.

Onni interjected in my defense, her voice snapped my mind out of whatever place it had sunk to. Softly I responded to these allegations, staring straight at the girl with an unflinching gaze, knowing that this wrong would be easy enough to sort out if only she would believe me, “I am not who said those things to you, upon my family I swear it. Upon my father I swear it.” It was hard to tell if she would believe me, “This beast who said such things? He wore my face?”

with you, with you

The gentle manner in which the Shaman accepted her apology gave Kahlua relief that no words could have. So she was not to be shunned for being frightened, she was not to be berated for running off. She was glad. I am always happy to help a friend in need. Kahlua bobbed her head. She was glad she had stumbled upon this mare, Onni, so many months ago. With so many in the land that had threatened (or had) hurt or attacked her, it was good to know there were kind souls left in the land.

Onni's kind greeting to the unwanted stallion did throw Kahlua for somewhat of a loop. It almost made her feel bad, though thoughts of her own safety were somewhat more prominent in her mind. Trying to process that Onni found this stallion's company agreeable was difficult for her. Between Onni's trust of the stallion and Midas' stiffening, however, Kahlua was having a hard time figuring out what to think. Midas has a kind heart, she insisted and Kahlua tried to catch Onni's gaze. She was searching for something, though even she did not know what. Regardless, her attention was quickly stolen by the stallion speaking and she looked away from her friend's eyes.

I am not who said those things to you, he insisted. Kahlua waned to believe him, wanted an answer, but too many times now she had been hurt by trusting the words of others. Ricochet had acted kindly enough, then attacked her for a stupid mistake she had. She had run into the invasion thinking it was a tournament of knights, only to find herself fighting to defend her homeland. And yet, hadn't good things come of trusting? She had found strength to trust Onni, despite her initial fear of the mare, and nothing but good had come of it. Kahlua sighed, the inward contemplations were too much for her brain. She could think of this no longer.

Taking another step toward Onni, Kahlua reached out her nose to try and touch the mare's neck. She needed the touch for comfort, if nothing else. “I... I'm not sure,” she murmured to the mare softly. Perhaps it was Onni's confidence in the stallion's gentle demeanor, perhaps it was that he had now been kind to her twice and rude to her only once, perhaps it was the earnestness in his insistence. Whatever the cause, Kahlua (though still scared) found some strength to speak to him again. “He wore your face. And your wings, and your eyes, and your armor.” She said, looking over him. “He was you,” but as she said the last line she wavered. Confusion filled her words. She was no longer certain if she meant that it had been Midas, or just a stallion that looked exactly like Midas.

Hidden Account

Her friend appears confused, and Midas surely is as well. However, the shaman retains the idea that the beloved General would never have threatened the life of another so easily. She also knows that Kahlua is not the type to earn a death threat, being so easy and forgiving of nature. So, the tobiano stares blankly at her company, eyes racing from one face to another. Midas appears taken aback, as though her friend had issued a physical blow instead of cold cut words.

There is tension in the air, causing both Onni and Lyhty's feathers to ruffle in an unpleasant manner, as though the warmth had been sucked from around them. Still as statues, they both watch the pair as Midas struggles through uneasy words with a blank look of confusion on his features, but more importantly, one of concern. The healer is reassured in her belief that the General was a kind stallion, knowing how he treated the herd and his own son Cera. Surely, the creature who threatened Kahlua is not the golden eyed stallion with a warm heart.
Not Midas.

Kahlua takes uneven, doubtful steps toward the painted girl, and Onni rustled up a wing, allowing her friend close to her side. The soft of her muzzle seeking out the warmth of the shaman's neck and finding it easily, for the winged mare had no intentions of denying support. Instead, the shaman attempts to sling her wing over the back of the slightly taller mare. An embrace to keep her warm in a moment of terrifying uncertainty.

Even with the absence of sunlight, Onni is, above all else, warm.

"Worry not, sister," the tobiano whispers toward her. "There surely is an explanation... The shadows I spoke of wore the faces of former comrades turned violent and red," the mare looked toward her with earnest blue eyes. "Nothing is impossible in this world, but I would rest my life upon the shoulders of Midas."

ONNI the ILLUMINANT
image credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Her words are troubling, deeply so. Cera mentioned a spirit with such qualities; but that had been months ago. I simply rode off his fear as mischievous play from either ghosts or the like, he had been fooled. But now so had the company which stood before us. Did this same demon still jest with an act of fraud against me? I frowned as she compared myself and the demon down to the steel collar that circled the breast.

“He was you,” she added with slightly less firmness than before.

“Nay,” I countered, “you have been fooled by a demon,” ebony crown rocked back and forth in distress. It was hard to not be disturbed by all this talk of monsters, and I was secondly grieved that said lass wouldn’t believe me. Fina shuffled along my spine until she came to rest on the crest. Onni spoke again, defending my innocence in all this. I thought of the things that might set me apart from that demon. Fina nudged my mind and picked at a lock of ivory to get my attention, curiously but hauntingly gentle I offered slowly, “Did he…have a companion in company?”

Fina was my other half, she held a small but important piece of my soul. When I met a rather bipolar Guacho on a northern beach, he had been absent a companion and the knowledge of it. Again, said incident had been ridden off as a mistake or lapse in judgment. I was beginning to see the folly of such thinking.

with you, with you

The gentle touch of Onni's wing over her back was comforting in a way that she would not have guessed. She had seen a horse huddled under the large tent of a wing before, when Quil and sheltered Resplendence after the invasion. She was glad, and calmed, that she could feel the same shelter now. Worry not, sister, the words came, and Kahlua smiled. Sister... despite her fears, she felt better knowing that Onni would consider her as such. When they had first met, Kahlua had thought that relations with Onni would only be a way to prove her use to Thor. Their friendship had come to mean much more to the mare.

Regardless of her own thoughts on the matter, Kahlua felt that she must trust Onni. The walls she had built, her certainty that Midas was a terrible force to be avoided, were being weakened on all fronts. After all, Onni had been right before, she could be right again. And surely.... Kahlua looked to the stallion as he suggested foul play by the devil. Surely he must be telling the truth. His conviction was without flaw. At least, without flaw that the mare could find. Of course, she was not known to be a terribly good judge of character either.

Did he have a companion in company? The question drew the mare from her, admittedly few, thoughts and she looked upon the stallion with curiosity. Her brow furrowed in concentration as she looked to the golden bird that followed Midas now. “No,” she said finally, knowing she would have remembered if the bird had been with the other being. It was unmistakable. After a few moments silence, Kahlua then sighed in resignation. Though she wanted to distrust the stallion she could not make herself any more. “Forgive me, I meant no offense to a friend and ally,” she said finally, looking first to Midas and then to Onni as though the painted mare walked on clouds. In Kahlua's eyes, she was one of the wisest beings there ever could be. Perhaps the painted mare was just easily impressed, but she didn't know the difference.