the Rift

[PRIVATE] !! Truth or Dare [Mirage]

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
and i'd tell that i miss you but i'm sure it doesn't matter at all
She wasn't injured - at least not anymore. She had allowed the herbs to make her spill her emotions to Quil. She had let the world know she loved him. And, his gift was tightly fastened upon her neck, resting so that it was up against her chest and bouncing with each stride forward she took. Her mass of tail was still knotted messily, the tendrils no longer able to grasp out a few feet behind her as she moved. But, it still remained a safe place to keep this branch she was using as a make-shift dagger. After all, it was no longer actually safe. At least, it wasn't safe in her mind anymore.

They had been attacked - by the same ones who had taken her previous home. They were trying to taunt the herd. Though, she supposed the taunting hadn't worked too well - after all they seemed to have emerged victorious. And now, she knew for sure, that she had both Kaj and Quil at her side. She was safer than she had been when she had come into these lands. That was a good thing, wasn't it? Didn't really matter to her mind, apparently. For, the memories of the horn slicing through Row's lungs still plagued her mind at night when she tried to sleep. And, now, with the invasion also having horned members, she wasn't sure if the lands were actually completely rid of those who could do the same to her.

A scar was positioned on her left shoulder, about a foot and a half in length and crooked. It was a reminder that pain was inevitable. It was a reminder that she had lost too much to ever really be whole again. Wings still scared her - she was positive there was something sharp in most of them, which could be used against her tiny frame. But, she trusted Kaj and she trusted Quil. And, with that trust came the acceptance of their wing so she could hide herself from the world when all she wanted to do was to break down and cry. They would hide her when she was her most vulnerable. They were her protection from herself. Really, without those two boys she would have been much worse than she was at this moment.

That was when she could have sworn she heard something shuffling through the underbrush. Instantly, her frame tensed in anticipation before bolting deeper into the mists to hide her petite frame as much as they would allow. She grasped her branch from it's slot in her tail before beginning to turn on her haunches in circles. She swore that if another winged creature came at her she would cut those wings up until they were useless bones flapping off of their shoulders.

The world was falling down around Res. Her brain was only trying to make her feel safer. But, was that even possible when all that she had loved was taken from her in this continual, viscous cycle of pain? She would continue to lose everyone until there was no one left to lose except herself. And that thought was the one thing that tore her apart even more than the memories of death and suffering that plagued her skull...

552 words
Res is so broken and screwed up - and she now carries a branch to use as a dagger. xD
@[Mirage]
Credits
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
Mirage knew all too well the feeling of hopelessness, helplessness that could consume one. She had felt it after Torasin had died, and then Solstice too, and now with more herdmates being declared missing, with the death of the soldier she had been fighting, with everything that had unfolded, the mare wondered how it was she gathered the strength to stand upon her sturdy legs. And yet, here she was. Standing alone, albeit for her dragon, in the wake of seeing the great Goddess of the Moon. Though the Goddess stood for darkness and wind, the world seemed duller, stiller as she faded from sight, and so Mirage merely blinked dumbly at the mists as they folded back down on themselves, realising with a harsh slap in the face that reality awaited her outside of the surrealistic world her meeting with the Goddess had been.

After departing company from her sister and the young mare who lingered there, the WeyrLeader and her dragon walked the mists of the land, feeling a new magic awaken within them. As she walked with the mists, she seemed to become the mists, a magic similar to her illusionary magic and yet completely different. It crawled up her legs, across the tendrils of her mane and tail, along her hide - and yet she shrugged it off, preferring her whole form now, even as she nursed tender muscles and bruises. Akaith murmured above her, taking to the skies. Tell me who is hurt, and where they lie. Mirage requested of her golden companion, who swiftly disappeared in the darkness and mists of their home. The peculiar jewel that now rested about her left foreleg shimmered in the night, its sheen seeming to take on the very shine of the moon itself. The DragonHeart's steps became smoother the more she moved, until she heard movement ahead.

Could it be an enemy, caught behind the borders? Or was it a friend, hurt and struggling?

"Resplendence!" She called once she made out the shape of the mare, stepping forth from the surrounding forest with an easy step and a dipped crown. The little shadowmare could easily see the tension written all over the mare's frame, and with a small frown upon her brow, she paused her steps a short distance away, inquiry clear in her gaze. "The danger has passed, dear. You are safe now."

@[Resplendence]
Mirage the DragonHeart

image credits
table by whit

Resplendence
She spun around. Her body tense. Her jaw clenched around her branch - her only weapon left to be given to her. She was not granted with magic, wings, or a horn. She was granted with a missing ear, an open and easily acceptable heart that could be torn to shreds at a moments notice and yet still offered to all of those who needed something. She was granted with haunting nightmares that would leave her immobilized from time to time. She had been granted with her own hell on earth - somehow barely managing to tread with her head above the water that wished to encase her soul and drag her under.

And then her name was called out by someone with sweet chords - chords she remembered. They chimed in her head as she twisted her now scarred frame to face the oncoming mare. Eyes were wide and panicked, still pleading with the Gods that these chords she recalled were not from the winged mare who had been taunting her the entire time she had been fighting. But, when the creature emerged from the shadows it was Mirage - the one who had accepted her plea for Quil's life and offered her a home. Mirage pulled out from the forest and the mist with a dipped crown, and even though Res was shaking - now feeling as though if someone else attacked it was only right for her to attempt to protect the mare who had given her so much - and unable to stop she allowed her jaw to fall lax. The branch slipping from her teeth's death grip upon it and clattering to the sodden earth, disappearing in the mist. She would grab it again later, most likely. Her lock rested against her chest, trembling as her muscles twitched in fear of what was going to be happening from outside sources.

Mirage did not approach her side, instead stopping herself a few paces away. Her gaze was questioning, but not threatening. Had she seen the deep gash that had been on her shoulder not a day earlier, perhaps she would understand why Res had gained this branch to use as a dagger or why she was spinning around in circles, hoping that the sound wasn't that of another creature coming in again to attack the only home she had. Mirage's words reached her cranium. Danger had passed. She was safe. She felt like an idiot. Her entire body tensing up more in embarrassment as she dropped her head and kept her gaze upon the ground. She had looked like a buffoon. An imbecile who could not fully grasp everything that was going on. The DragonHeart was probably attempting to figure out just why she was not off looking for the injured so as to help them. It was a valid question, and one which she should have been doing instead of worrying about every single sound that had come around in the forest. An idiot who couldn't do her job.

Her voice managed to waver, spilling some of her rambling thoughts underneath her breath, allowing them to rest upon the mists. "I'm sorry, ma'am. I k-know. I should be searching for the injured. R-right on it. I'll get right on it." Her gaze still did not dare to look up any farther than the inked mare's knees, her eyes catching the new adornment upon the mare's left foreleg that shone like the moon. So much had happened - so much that she didn't know. It didn't matter though. She should be off looking for those who are injured. She should be tending to their wounds, giving them some kind of pain medication, and then helping them get to Smoke so that they can actually be healed.

She should be doing her job...

638 words
"I'M SORRY I'LL DO MY JOB."
LOLOL. Silly Res.
Credits
When I'm ready to fall
With love

The DragonHeart watched the mare crumble before her. She was a beautiful little dove, an innocent who had been exposed to a world of harsh realities, and not been allowed the time to breathe between crises. But when was life ever fair? When did it ever give you warning, or a break, when you needed it the most? Of course it didn't, but that didn't mean one had to allow the bad things in life to swallow all the good things. She is shellshocked, the little shadowmare murmured to herself, worry lines etching themselves along her brow. It was not fair of her to inflict this upon her kin, her family, her herdmates, and yet.. it was a means to an end. A peaceful end. Surely.. hopefully. Mirage breathed in, preparing herself to speak once more, just as Res dropped the wooden blade in her mouth upon the ground, and peer up at her like a deer caught amidst the glare of shining headlights. Easy, child, Mirage wanted to say, to soothe her, I am here only to help.. And then Res was turning away from her, making to flee the scene, muttering some comment about working.

"Stop, Res." The Dragonheart's voice was enigmatic, seemingly speaking from the surrounding mists themselves. Her neat hooves carried her then, smooth, swift steps that closed the gap between the mares. The dark little shadow's maw reached out, and she hoped to sling it over the other's withers in a gentle but warm, reassuring embrace. "I am sorry, so sorry." The WeyrLeader spoke, the regret thickly lacing her tones, as she was burdened with the weight of the guilt of stacking this pressure onto her own herd, her family. How can I fix this, Akaith? her mental voice cried to her dragon, who flew miles away, scouting for the very wounded that Resplendence was so concerned about. You can only reassure them of what is certain. Victory was had. No casualties, aside from your own. The dragon replied dryly as ever, reminding the mare again and again of her actions.

"Akaith is scouting for wounded; if she finds any, she will lead us both to them." She tried to reassure the frightened mare, admiring her will to serve, to work, to be useful to this herd and family she was a part of. Mirage reflected upon the firth time she ever laid eyes upon her, and smiled - it had been mere hours after her discovery of Torasin's death (a memory that still wet her eyes), and this young girl had come with the wounded and sickly Quil, and begged for entrance and aid. "I am sorry that you were caught up in the fighting - you are so brave, dear Res. You embody the principle of the Qian with your actions, and for that, I admire you. Please, rest here a moment, with me." As she spoke, she extracted herself from the mare slightly, so that she might hold her gaze with her own golden pools, and offer gentle nudges and caresses with the velvet textures of her muzzle against the girl's nape.

@[Resplendence]
[ SO SORRY FOR THE WAIT. I had started this like a week ago and then EVERYTHING happened and now I've finished it :| ]
Mirage the DragonHeart

image credits
table by whit

Resplendence
Stop. That one word had Res's turning frame freeze instantly. Her golden orbs squeezed shut as she listened to the swift steps of the petite mare whose presence demanded that of respect and honour. Nothing she had ever seen this mare do had proved that she deserved otherwise. And, so, with one word all of Res's world stopped. She held her breath until she felt the fae's maw sling over her withers in an embrace. Tears welled into Res's orbs as she listened to the dark one apologize. All that she could do was shake her head. "Sorry for what, ma'am. There is nothing you have done..." she whispered, voice trembling as her frame slowly began to as well.

Gently, she twisted her neck around, bumping her maw with that of the dark one's before she spoke again. Her one ear twitching as she mentioned a name she did not recall, but assumed was her bonded from the way she spoke of this Akaith. "I should be looking as well, ma'am... There are bound to be more... the Foothills... there is no way that we did not incur damage..." she whispered, a shattered mind replaying the memory of Quil's wing and the sickness in his eyes. Others had been worse. She had seen tons falling as she had fled from the Foothills that horrible morning. The Grey... they were the chorus who dared to sing the song of Death. They would not have allowed the Edge to go by unscathed.

And, yet, the dark mare was apologizing again. Apologizing for getting her caught up in the fighting. Calling her brave. Embodying some principal of the Qian? She was admired by the one mare who should have been above everyone. And then, she was asking for Resplendence to rest with her, for just a moment. The shadow of a mare pulled back ever so slightly, golden gazes locking onto each other for a few seconds before she gently nudged and caressed the light's nape in an attempt to comfort her.

Tears. That was all that was managed, though. She shook her head every so slightly as she squeezed her eyes shut to force the tears to stop. Her hair cascading across her face as she attempted to hide behind it for a few moments. And, when her lungs stopped heaving she allowed her weak voice to come out, "I am far from brave, ma'am. I expected nothing more than death - it is what I deserve for not being able to help those I have lost..." she whispers, not daring to elaborate - to say the names of her beloveds. "I am not one to be admired, either. You are the one that I admire. For being able to carry such strength... to not be bothered by anything. To... to always be a rock..." Her voice locked in her throat as she closed her eyes. She didn't know who this shadow saw before her, but she was not what she was describing. A couple of deep breaths and she spoke again, "And I'm afraid I'm not... familiar with the term 'Qian', sorry ma'am..." Sheepishly, she lowered her head.

Her trembling had lowered massively since the shadowed mare had fallen to her side. And, it took all of her not to lean against the mare's frame. Res felt as though she needed to stay on edge. There could be something lurking. There could be something there for her to protect her leader from. And she knew she was not strong enough to do such a thing. But, she would try. She couldn't let the one mare who had everyone who cared get hurt. And she couldn't not do her job. But the shadowed mare wished for her presence, and so she would allow her to have it. If she could give her some form of comfort than perhaps she might have done her job as well. Healing... but not physically.

Perhaps she could help the shadowed mare heal mentally, if she was beginning to break as well...

671 words
<3 you
Credits
When I'm ready to fall
With love

The belle questioned her apology, she began to tremble as she denied its necessity. Oh, but it was necessary, it was needed, it was justified and it did little to alleviate the guilt she felt for bringing this terror upon her family. What other choice did she have? Mirage was not a warmonger, she would not lead an army to invade lands they did not need, she would not risk her kin on unknown grounds to fight in the name of loved ones lost.. But was this any better? Few had missed the foals those of rank had been kidnapping, and while she had no intention of holding them for longer than necessary, the DragonHeart hated that it had come to that. She could justify it millions of times over and still she came to the same conclusion - it was not as if she did this without thought, but that did not lessen the fact that it impacted some of her own far more heavily than she cared to admit.

The shadow mare didn't respond to Res' words of denial, she merely held the girl in the curve of her nape, clinging to the trembling girl, wishing the shock of the battle to be cleansed from her. Let Mirage absorb it, let her take the weight of all her worries and concerns and obliterate them into the abyss. How long had Mirage fought with her own demons? All her life, she had been taught to hide her emotions, and yet all they did was continue to build up, to become more intense - it was dangerous for her to reveal anything aside from that which she controlled and chose to show. The sheer intensity, the force of her feelings was overwhelming for those outside her own family tree, and so the armour she wore was impenetrable and strong. It had been a shock for her, when others began to follow her, to take her personal strength as something to be admired, to be worshipped. It had all fallen into stride for her, to lead them, to successfully provide them with a home, and then to help them defend that home when it was threatened.

"Hush, now." Her voice was soothing and soft, as Res continued to try and insist she should be working. Akaith would tell them if they were needed immediately, there was no need to shift their position right now. There was healing to be done here too, for both of them had suffered similar wounds internally, both needed the other possibly more than each of them realised.

"Forgive me," she said as the mare spoke of the Qian, of not knowing about the group Mirage had bestowed the name upon, the group who followed her originally, the group who supported her cause and still do, to this day. "The Qian is the name given to us before we took the Edge.. It is what I call the herd still. The Qian began as a group of us believing in the same ideals, in peace and equality, in protecting those who need protection… You embody these ideals even without knowing it." The mare finished with a shadow of a smile touching her lips, as she met the girl's teary gaze, happily returning the gentle caresses she offered, leaning into her slightly, just as Res shyly leaned into her own dark frame.

"Is bravery not facing a trial even when you think the outcome is hopeless?" The DragonHeart questioned the mare lightly, curious to know her answer. "Plenty in this world bothers me, Res. But if I let it affect me for too long, I cannot hope to lead those I love in the manner they deserve."

@[Resplendence]
Mirage the DragonHeart

image credits
table by whit

Resplendence
She didn’t respond to Res’s denial. The strong, darker mare simply held her in the curve of her neck. The strong one was clinging to the mare who was unable to stop the trembling of her own frame while she fought the tears back from her own eyes. It was ironic, wasn’t it? The strong one clinging onto the weak as if they were their last hope at whatever it was the shadow desired to achieve. Res could not answer as to what this thing was, but the shadowed leader wished to wrap herself up with the tiny, claybank mare and she could do nothing to stop her.

A soothing voice emanated from the velveteen maw, telling Res to hush, telling her that it would be fine. And, so she hushed up for a few moments, allowing the both of them to sit together in silence. It was comforting, and the claybank’s trembling was definitely lessening. But, with Mirage’s reference to the Qian, Res could do nothing more than to apologize for not understanding what she meant and ask what it was.

Mirage apologized even though there was no need for one. Res was not well versed in politics, she was not well versed in anything other than the name of The Grey and the horror that they inflicted. She had shut herself off from the world to try and protect herself. Her association with the Edge was the complete opposite of how she had been living her life after that initial invasion. And, so knowledge did not bode well to her. Res listened as the shadowed mare’s voice curled around her audits, still soothing. Peace. Equality. Protecting those who needed it. How did she embody them? Res couldn’t quite understand. She could feel the shadow leaning against her frame just as she had leaned against the shadow herself for comfort. Both of them relying so strongly on the other it was amusing. It was so amusing. Everything is just melding together into a sense of peace. ”T-thank… thank you…” she whispered.

And, Mirage’s voice is speaking again. Bravery is facing a trial even when you think the outcome is hopeless… Res shook her head. ”It is… when you hope to live in the end – when you hope you’ll still be able to see everyone again. Ma’am. I’m sorry to disappoint – I went in there suicidal. Prepared to die, hoping to die…” she whispered, her voice trembling as she closed her eyes and ducked her head away. She couldn’t look the shadowed one in the eye, it was humiliating. The mare believing that Res was such a great character, only to learn she had been completely suicidal in the beginning. But, the shadowed’s voice emerged again, saying that plenty bothered her. Saying that she couldn’t let it affect her for too long. Saying that if it lingered so much that she wouldn’t be able to lead those in a way that they deserved. A tiny pause from Res as she takes a breath in. ”And this, Ma’am, is exactly why you are strong and I am not…” And then, she lets her breath out and finally allows her golden orbs to look back up to the shadowed mare who was a rock for the entire herd…

546 words
so sorry it took so long!

Credits
When I'm ready to fall
With love