the Rift

[OPEN] Keep Your Enemies Closer [Vertigon, Acceptance]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
K A H L U A
As she walked with the wolf, letting him keep several steps ahead as per his suggestion, the mare tried hard to get her brain to ponder. For all you know you have just given a scout, sent out to find food, enough information to locate your home. The words troubled her because the wolf was right. Though she had been frightened, she had decided to trust the wolf enough to tell him of her home. She could hardly help herself, after all. She loved the place so much, she wanted everyone to love it and become a part of it. Everyone that upheld their standards, of course. Still, try as she might, she could not get her brain to figure out if he was trying to teach her a lesson or was being strangely open about clandestine plans- reverse psychology, if you will.

The thoughts were more than she could bear and more than once she had sighed in frustration on the walk from Threshold to Edge. I know you are taking a great risk in offering me a place amongst you, or a chance at least. You are lucky I am not a threat to you or your home. The other words that had followed had left her mind no clearer. She needed Smoke, or Kaj, or someone more suited to thinking about such things. Even Aaron, hot-headed as she had found him, would be better for the contemplations of the world she was attempting. Thor would think the best of the wolf, of course, kindly as he was... for one of few moments in her life, Kahlua wished she was smarter.

You never truly know who is the wolf or the lamb, until one bites you. It was like she could not get his words out of her head. Somehow he knew so much more than she did about the world. It was not hard to know more than her, she knew this, but a simpleton cannot become a rocket scientist just by wishing on stars. Still, as they walked, she found herself become more comfortable with his easy attitude and friendly manner. It was kind of him to stay several steps ahead of her, to let her guide him from behind so that she could see him as she went. If he had hoofs instead of claws, certainly they would have been the best of friends by now.

“Halt here,” she said finally, finding herself brave enough to come up beside him. The mists that shrouded the land before them marked the line between World's Edge and out lands. With the moon shining down brightly above, the mists almost twinkled in the darkness. It was strangely beautiful, Kahlua thought. “These are our borders. Certainly someone will smell us and come soon enough.” Just for good measure, though, she nickered. As she stopped speaking, she almost felt bad for treating him as guilty until proven innocent. He had done nothing to her thus far, the many hours they spent together on their walk peaceful as the cloudless night. Taking a deep breath, she turned to look him in the eye. The vibrant orange of his coat was becoming of him, she decided. “You'll have to forgive me when this is all over, my friend.” A gentle smile crossed her lips.

@[Vertigon]

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Vertigon Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

He had remained quiet through the entire trip, obediently following Kahlua's instructions as they walked. More then once he had heard her deep sighs, his ears flicking back to listen before turning forward to face the path ahead once more. It seemed his presence and words had caused her quite a bit of stress, she certainly had been given a lot to think about. Her brain was probably hurting from thinking so much, he felt bad for speaking so cryptically. Maybe he shouldn't have suggested that he might be an enemy. Yet again he allowed himself to get carried away and he could end up paying for it the long run. He simply shook his head, disappointed in himself.

When the woman called for him to halt Vertigon obeyed, sitting down to wait for her to come up beside him. He cast his gaze down the way, admiring the way the moonlight played upon the fog. So this was the edge of their territory. The fog certainly served them well. With so much moister in the air it would dampen the scents, when thick enough it'd cut off all sound after a short distance. Not to mention any horse capable of using the moisture in the air as a weapon would be made all the more powerful.

He shuttered to think what damage water could do when formed into a blade or turned to ice that crept into the lungs of an enemy and freeze their heart. He was far too imaginative for his own good, but could he really blame it all on imagination? He had seen far to much of the world to believe that such horrible tactics were only in stories or dreams. This fog was deadly, anyone could be lurking not far within its white embrace, watching, waiting. Enemies could be trapped within their depths uncertain of the terrain whereas the natives could easily move within it, unhindered as they silently attacked.

Of course that natural defense could prove to be a weakness if used against them. It appeared as if someone put some thought into the land they had claimed for their herd. This was good, if Kahlua was anything to judge the other's by they'd all be pretty and very kind, but dim. Although he liked her, don't get him wrong she seemed like a sweet girl, he just wasn't entirely sure if he could deal with more then one of her.

Flicking back his ears his titled his head to the side so he could meet her gaze while still facing the mist, he flashed her a mischievous grin. "Don't worry, there is nothing to forgive. I would have done the same, my friend" he answered. Of course he wouldn't have given away information as easily as she, he would not have trusted himself if he had been in her hooves. He sat there allowing silence to envelope them once more, eager to see who would appear out of the mist to greet them.

Although patient he was still a teenager and his youth often made it hard to remain still for long. But he had learned how to keep himself still, if worse come to worse he could always pace up and down the border. For now, rather then allowing his body to move he let his mind be active as he wondered what these horses who had accepted Kahlua were like; and if they'd accept him or try to attack. With that thought he smiled, for all they knew he was some odd wolf holding the mare hostage. He would have to be ready for a hostile greeting just in case.

Unable to resist teasing her any longer, Vertigon spoke. "So, do you think they'll like me? I am a big scary wolf after all." he asked, grinning like a Cheshire cat in a way that was sure to show as many teeth as possible. Snorting in amusement Vertigon lowered his lips over his ivory fangs until they were completely covered, his lips still remaining curled in a sly grin as he tucked his chin close to his chest. His eyes narrowed in amusement and the tip of his tongue poked out of his black lips.

Walk "Talk!" Think

Table Made by Aztec: Credits

@[Kahlua]

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
and i'd tell that i miss you but i'm sure it doesn't matter at all
What was going on? Res didn't want more new members. She didn't know who to trust anymore! The invasion had made her head spin. They still had the same lands, but now anyone could be a threat. She could only trust Quil, Kaj, Smoke, Mirage, and the others whom she had met before the invasion or spent time with immediately afterward.

The fact that there were so many people coming toward the Edge now was unsettling to her in the least. And, so she wished to only find some of those anti-anxiety herbs which had done so well for her earlier. She needed to find a way to calm down. She needed to find a way to move on and try and not think everyone was a threat. So, she continued to move forward. One foot after the other. One. Two. Three. Breathe in. Four. Step forward. Five, breathe out. Six. Another step forward. Continuing the pattern, though just a bit faster after actually settling into the rhythm which it created for her broken mind.

That was when she heard a whiny fill the air close to the border line which she had been travelling near in search of those herbs. She couldn't exactly recall the specific area that the herbs had been, and so now she needed to actually hunt. But, with the call ringing in her audit she inched closer toward it. Her body swaying delicately as she high-stepped her way over toward where the noise had come from, careful to not make too much noise or to step on anything that might cause her to trip in the process.

And, when she saw Kahlua there her gaze brightened up a little. Though, it was still filled with the sadness of the shattered heart and mind she possessed. She was simply grateful that it was not someone new - someone with horns. But, of course, life was not to go too well for the claybank mare with the missing ear. For, the air stunk of wolf, and as she began to get closer and closer to the painted mare she noticed that there was, indeed, a maned wolf sitting down right beside her. Confusion flooded her face as panic slowly began to set in. God. Don't let it attack. She didn't want to have to crush another wolf's skull.

Memories of her children and mate getting torn to shreds by the hungry wolves were flashing through her skull. The blood. The cries. The pain. The fact that she could really do nothing. Her mind was distant. Every inch of her looking as though she had fallen into a daze. But, on the inside she was crying. She was screaming. She was kicking. She was fighting. And to no avail. She had lost them, again.

Shaking her head violently she pulled her mind back to the present before allowing her silken vocals to float out into the sky and wrap themselves around the mists. "Did you gather a companion, Kahlua?" she whispered, still uncertain about the creature beside her. Friend? Foe? Another part of the painted mare's soul?

She couldn't be sure...

529 words
;3

Credits
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

K A H L U A
Kahlua felt a sense of accomplishment as the wolf stated that she had done the right thing. Perhaps she not have let herself to drawn into his game so easily, but she had no sense otherwise. If he was evil, if he had nefarious plans, she was in his clutches. She was no stranger to schmoozing, laying on compliments when they would gain her ground with the right horses, but apparently she had no sense to know when (potentially) the same was being done to her. So, instead of thinking too much about it, she just smiled stupidly, glad that this philosopher wolf found her actions acceptable.

As the wolf sat thinking, Kahlua stood doing nothing. She had done her best to forget his words from the Threshold and had nearly succeeded. They were not gone, of course, still somewhere far in the back of her mind, but they were not close enough to bother her the way they had. She still kept one eye on the wolf, something in her heart of hearts preventing her from trusting him with her life, but for the most part she was happy with his presence.

Do you think they'll like me? His words interrupted nothing, as she was doing nothing. She looked down just in time to see him grin and her ear twitched at his smile. She couldn't help it. Perhaps someday she would not think twice about being in his presence but for now she could not help being cautious. She did not jump back this time, though, and that was an improvement. In an instant, though, her fear melted away. The way the wolf tucked his head down and poked his tongue out made her laugh, a brilliantly bright sound filling the air between them. “Of course, sir Vertigon Estray,” she said decidedly, shaking her head at him.

Rustling in the mists distracted her from the wolf then and she looked up to see her friend Resplendence appearing from the swirling darkness. Her ears perked and her smile became wide, she was glad to see the mare again. She had seen much of her since the invasion and she never got tired of the healer. Kahlua, as unobservant as always, failed to notice the dazed look on her friend's face and went right on about her business as normal. Bobbing her head in greeting, Kahlua all but missed the violent shake of the mare's head.

“Of course,” she responded to the mare's words immediately, not understanding that the claybank meant a soul companion. “He was in the Threshold, he requested a home.” Looking to the wolf for a moment she smiled, sure that Resplendence would find him as easy-going as she had, before turning back to the mare. “This is Vertigon,” she finished, not bothering to wonder whether the wolf would want his name revealed or not.

Unregistered

He smiled once more, making sure to keep his lips drawn over his fangs knowing that it unsettled her. "I hope you are right." He said. A sound reverberated in the male's ears causing them to perk, angled toward the approached horse before flicking to face either side to allow his to detect any sounds approaching from left and right as well as behind. He didn't want anyone sneaking up on them, Kahlua might be safe near the borders of her land, but he was not. His eyes picked out the approaching figure wreathed in the fog, his keen orbs instantly recognizing the tense and uncertainty that filled every muscle.

Her cautious steps spoke of her distrust for him, yet poor Kahlua didn't detect any of this as she happily spoke to her friend. Ver gave a small shake of his head. Unbelievable. He thought. Offering a slight nod when Kahlua introduced him, his lips curling in a small smile. Standing Vertigon stepped back, putting distance between him and Kahlua before sitting down once more. Hopefully this would ease this new mare's worries about her friend.Of course it left the clay baked mare plenty of room to charge at him now that he didn't have Kahlua shielding him. The risks he'd take in order to find a home he'd probably destroy. Was this all worth it? Could he bring so much pain to another happy family?

He knew he was being selfish in asking to be apart of this herd, but he couldn't deny that he needed a family unite, if only to survive. That did not mean he had to remain close or form bonds, he could protect them without allowing such things to happen. That way if something did happen, he would not be as scared by the event as he was now. Even as he sat here looking to enter Kahlua's herd, his heart ached with the constant pain of loss.

This beating pain was intensified by his current actions and Kahlua's love for her home. He still loved his home, but all that remained of it was dead and rotting corpses, too numerous for him to bury. He couldn't think of this, not now, he had to focus, he had to make a good impression. "It is a pleasure to meet you miss." He said. "I'm sorry if I have startled you, I know my looks can be rather..." His mind said deceiving, but instead his tongue formed the word. "daunting. "

Flicking his tail over his paws he gestured toward Kahlua with his head. "Like Kahlua said she found me at the Threshold and was nice enough to offer me a place among your peaceful herd, if deemed worthy." Coming from a land where companions were few Vertigon was completely oblivious to the meaning behind Res's words, simply believing she meant a new friend or herd-mate instead of a companion bound to her soul. The idea would have been rather mortifying to the young wolf, he may like Kahlua well enough but he didn't want to bind his soul to her's. He remained silent preferring to only talk when spoken to in these kind of situations.

Walk "Talk!" Think

@[Resplendence]

Resplendence
we'll raise ourselves up, thanks for nothing at all, so up off the ground
She was uncertain. She didn't feel comfortable. Everything was changing! She couldn't deal with all this change. She wanted some sort of baseline to start to get used to all of this. She wanted to be wrapped up under Quil's wing and to be told that this wolf was not going to cause her any trouble. But, she would not allow him to lose any of sleep. She would not allow him to have to worry about her all the time.

Now was the time to be strong again. So, she asked Kahlua who this was. A smile rested on the painted mare's face, saying that she had met him in the Threshold asking for a home and then granting her his name. Res shuffled her feet uncertainly. So, he was not her companion. This was going to make matters a little bit trickier.

A pleasure to meet her, sorry if he had started her. Looks being daunting. That was an understatement. He flicks his tail over his paw before tilting his head toward Kahlua and confirming her story. If deemed worthy. Fine. He had manners. Maybe she could survive with him. It still did nothing much to calm her down anymore. "Resplendence, you may call me Resplendence," she offered, attempting to lighten the air a little. "I, unfortunately, cannot be the one to say whether you are deemed worthy or not. I am not of a high enough rank. But, if you keep the manners I don't see why one wouldn't allow you in." She explained, shifting her weight a little, muscles trembling ever so slightly. Her orbs glanced back up to Kahlua, still unsure of the entire situation.

284 words
it sucks ._.
Credits
When I'm ready to fall
With love

Hellena Posts: 64
World's Edge Seer
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 26 Buff: NOVICE
Whit
There was movement in the woods. Shadows, darkness, silver light from the Moon above, all convoluted, dancing, swirling, swaying, carved by the contours of the breeze that whispered through the thick trunks. Mists seemed to move of their own accord, not by the wind or the weather, their foggy touch breathed with a life of its own. The shapes it carved were the shapes of those who resided here, in the World's Edge, the lands had gifted us with the ability to become its very mists - an ability I embraced, and used quite often. My connection with the mists had always been deep, they obeyed my call, they followed me wherever I walked, they informed me of danger, of news, of change that occurred on our borders and lands, and now, they allowed me to travel as part of them, truly.

So I became one with the mists, and the tendrils of my nerves seemed to become a part of the lands themselves. There was no delay between their communication with me - I felt every footstep, saw every motion, comforted every member who was welcomed in the herd they called the Qian. And now - what was that? A newcomer, crossing the borders for the first time, being welcomed into the family that always seemed to be growing, expanding, gaining new blood, new ideas, new inspiration. I moved myself towards them, my ears forming atop my pewter crown just as a horn extends from my brow. There was something different about this one, something more foreign than an equine of a different shape - he was different in every way, from the paws that held him upright, to the teeth that lined his gums. The Qian accepted creatures of all walks, however, and so if this one proved to be of an obliging nature, I could see no barrier that would halt him from making this his home as well. As I came into existence before the gathered, I tilt my crown to each of them, beholding them with my violet eyes, considering them carefully.

"Greetings, and welcome to the World's Edge. I am Hellena." My voice is a smooth hum, a deep and reassuring stroke of an artist's brush against their eardrums. With smooth strides, I near the shivering form of Resplendence, a mare I recognised when speaking to a former prisoner we held. I offer my muzzle to her, my shoulder for her to lean upon, should she need it. The fragile girl was so close to breaking, and I felt genuinely saddened by that thought. "Please forgive us for our quiet, our Protectors have recently defended our home from invaders, and many are still recovering." I add, as a quiet explanation for the lack of a greeting party. A small frown creased my brow at the thought, though it passed swiftly. My expression softened again as I looked to the new creature, my inquiry gentle and light behind those deep violet pools. "What is the name of the newest soul to walk amongst our borders?"

bg - table

K A H L U A
As the wolf stepped back, Kahlua looked to him, thankful that he was so mindful of feelings. Still, she couldn't stop from taking a step back and to the side herself, to keep him even or in front of her. Though she felt sorrow for treating him as an outcast, she couldn't fully shake the primal instinct that demanded he was an enemy. The wolf was speaking then, apologizing to Resplendence as he had to her and for a moment, Kahlua actually thought something. She wondered how many times he had apologized for something he could not change, the form he was born with. She wondered how many times he had apologized for being himself. But as quickly as the thought was there, it was gone again, the stupid mare again listening idly to the conversation.

As Resplendence began to speak, then, Kahlua reveled in her words. She owed this mare her life- or her leg, at the very least. After the war Resplendence had taken Kahlua to find herbs when the rest were so worried about matters of more importance. Kahlua would not forget the action, for surely she would not have found the plants on her own. Here now, with the fallen angel suggesting that the wolf may be allowed in, Kahlua was quite pleased with herself. Perhaps she had done well after all. It would be a shame to do something that damaged her good name in the herd.

It was then that another appeared from the mists, forming from nothing and giving no indication as to her arrival. Kahlua stiffened and backed away a few steps, her heart racing from the surprise. Her ears flicked to this older mare immediately, Kahlua almost forgetting her fear of the wolf beside her. Her fright was quickly assuaged though, the mist mare's words smooth and reassuring. Hellena, Kahlua repeated to herself several times as was her habit. At the mention of the war, Kahlua bobbed her hears. The warriors were repairing and regrouping deep within the land, seeking solace in what they knew. Kahlua had left for the Threshold after being healed, taking comfort in something different. “This is Vertigon. I met him at the Threshold,” she explained for a second time, her voice dancing and bright as usual. Bowing her head then, to this mare she supposed was her superior, she fell silent and looked to Hellena with eager eyes. All she wished to do was please those above her, give them reason to find her useful. Perhaps, with this mare, it would be difficult to do- standing so near the elder mare, Kahlua's attitude seemed comical and especially childish, a collision of two worlds that would be hard pressed to find something in common.

Unregistered

He nodded slightly at Resplendence, taking care to never reveal his teeth when ever he smiled. "Lets certainly hope that others of higher rank think so." he said, amused. He could never fully guarantee how he would react or treat another, even that of a high rank. Tending to match another's personality with his own special blend that tended to light some fuses. he was fully aware of kahlua's actions even though he did not glance her way. She still did not trust him, although understandable the woman's actions were becoming rather tiresome.

Seriously with all the signals she was giving off a predator that was out to hunt her would have a hard time resisting their instinct to attack, even if it meant a bigger payload at the end. But he made no complaint, he understood and would not hold it against her. Her fleeting thought mirrored Vertigon's to some degree as he found himself wondering if he would have to apologize to every single horse he came across for being born a different animal.

It wasn't that he didn't like being a maned wolf, no he was quite proud of what he was and what he could do. But his appearance made things rather frustrating when trying to approach prey animals such as equine, no matter how pure his intentions or friendly his tone and body language most creatures fled from him. One could allow such depressing things to ruin their attitude, but Ver saw it as a challenge for him and a test for others. If one were to pass such a test and actually see past his ruff exterior then they would find a friend who's loyalty was beyond measure. But few saw his true heart, only seeing the teeth and scars.

Something was coming. It was not his senses that told him this, for the next stranger to appear gave no sound nor scent to her presence until she was upon them. Rather a gut feeling or instict informed him that another was approaching a second before she materialized. Vertigon's right ear twitched then angled downward as Kahlua panicked at the sight of the unicorn appearing out of the mist . Like he said, horses could use the mist to their advantage add a pointy horn on top of their head and you have death waiting to happen, well, for the person that ticked that unicorn off. Of course if it was Kahlua with that sharp stick atop her head everyone would be in danger of being stuck, most likely in a very unpleasant place.

A normal predator would have reacted to the painted mare's fear by attacking, their instincts would push them to sink their fangs into her flesh. But he had long since forced that side of himself down, stamping the instinct into a dark corner by training and willpower. It didn't hurt that he had spent a few years with other animals such as horses, allowing him to become accustomed with their presence, behavior, and tendency.

Instead he moved a little closer and ahead, making sure to keep within Kahlua's sight, allowing him to be able to intercept the unicorn if it proved to be a threat. His body language was calm his eyes still pools as he watched the white mare, nodding a greeting in return. "No forgiveness or explanation needed." He answered, saying little seeing as Kahlua had taken the liberty of introducing him once again. "I am sure your protectors can rest easy knowing that the borders are being watched over by other, dedicated members, as they recover."

The comment Helena made although innocent enough revealed precious details to Vertigon. The warriors of this herd had indeed fought off the attacking force, but it had been a hard won battle and many were injure. So many in fact that their patrols were reduced enough to be of mention even in casual conversation. This could mean little, some horses were eager to gossip about anything and often blew things out of proportion to make it all the juicier. But he didn't feel that was the case here. There was his tactical side rearing its head once again, always looking for an answer, advantage, or weakness he could exploit. The darn thing made it rather difficult to think of anything else aside from battle and survival. Next he would start thinking of worse case scenarios for himself and this herd of another enemy should attack while they were recovering. As he was now.

His soul heaved a heavy sigh giving a resigned mental shrug, what was a guy to do? There was no way he could change the wiring of his brain this late in the game, might as well just deal with it, ignoring in in hopes that it would go away certainly wasn't working. of course it was handy, but only when he wanted it, he didn't wish to dissect everything and assess is military power or use. If only he had a switch he could flip to make his mind somewhat normal.

What was a normal teenager's mind supposed to be anyways? The only creatures he ever really knew of his own age were ones he had been pitted against in a fight to the death. Again he gave himself a mental shake as he realized he was allowing his mind to wander as he settled into a mode where his senses merely paid enough attention to the world to know if there was danger afoot. Not the best mode to be in when you're trying to appear somewhat acceptable. Maybe he wasn't as far from an average teenager as he had thought.

Walk "Talk!" Think

@[Hellena] @[Kahlua]

Resplendence
and i'd tell that i miss you but i'm sure it doesn't matter at all
It was a struggle for her, to find a way to stay completely strong and keep her mask on. Kahlua seemed to be the only one who consistently believed that she was fine and that nothing was bothering her. The wolf nodded, giving a tiny smile, before saying he hoped the others would think the same. He was obviously amused with the situation and highly attuned to all of Kahlua's actions. She had managed to keep her mask fairly well, while the canine had spoken but, when someone randomly appeared from the mists her entire facade dropped. Instantly, she was stumbling a few strides forward, as Kahlua had done the same (only going backwards). My eyes were widened as she lets out a shaky breath, panic placing all of her limbs. But, upon the sound of her voice she shake myself out of the panic and shuffles back the few paces she had moved.

Hellena pulls her frame closer with smooth strides and offers her muzzle, as well as her shoulder to Res. Instantly, she bumps her muzzle with the mare in welcoming, not daring to say much else as she felt it wasn't her place, before pulling her frame up even closer to the elder mare. Trembling against her form, Res attempted to force her breathing to match that of the white mare's as she listened to her speak, feeling the vibrations against her side from her voice circling into the mists.

She asks for the new arrival's name, and Kahlua grants it with her explanation of the Threshold once more before she watches the eager eyes for approval that she gives Hellena. The canine moves forward and a little in front of Kahlua, as if to protect her from her own panic attack before allowing his voice to radiate in the air. No explanation necessary. No forgiveness needed. Sure that the protectors can be pleased knowing that others were taking the job upon themselves to keep everyone safe. But, would one really care if they saw Resplendence at the border, telling them to leave? She highly doubted it. They wouldn't even need to raise a hoof in protest, they'd probably be able to fake charge her and she would be out of their path before one could clack their jaws.

Still, she keeps her head down, and her frame against Hellena. Weak. She feels weak. But she's tired of trying to be strong. She had been strong to try and accept death and it had not come. It was now that her mind would shatter on itself if she did not allow her mind and body to have a chance to be actually weak...

446 words
Sorry it took me so long guys ._.
Credits
When I'm ready to fall
With love

World's Edge Seer
Whit
It was intriguing to watch the dynamic of a predator amongst us, conversing in a civilised manner. The Edge and Qian welcomed sentient creatures of all shapes and sizes - as long as their souls believed in the same core values, that of equality, and justice. My gaze looked to Kahlua, my smile tilting as she introduced the canine who stood before us. I wondered just how much she had explained of the World's Edge to him. However, I trusted her enough to have brought only the finest to the borders - not everyone earned themselves an invitation, those who did usually were accepted and welcomed. The shivering mare by my side seemed to find some comfort as her warm skin pressed against my own - I felt for her, but I was more used to the strange that Helovia offered us, more understanding of the violent nature these lands seemed to draw out of even the most innocent of beings.

My gaze flicked to the wolf as he spoke, a single brow raising at his comment. "Indeed, we have many strong Protectors and other dedicated members more than willing to ensure the safety of the family which resides here." I confirmed for him, my posture shifting slightly - I did not take a step, for I did not wish to separate myself from the mistily decorated Resplendence, but I did lean somewhat closer to the canine. I showed no fear, for I held none within myself. I could turn to mist at will, I held a horn upon my brow, and I had some faith that this brute was not like most other predatory beings - he had self control. "Tell me Sir, are you interested in joining our ranks, and lending your teeth, claws and cunning to the cause of defending our home?" I asked him directly now, unwilling to dance around the subject any longer. Would he join us? Was he willing to commit to the cause of the Qian?

[ Sorry for the wait! ]
@[Kahlua]

bg - table

K A H L U A
Though Resplendence was still flightly, Kahlua found Hellena's plain demeanor calming. Taking note that the old mare did not seem to think the wolf a terrible threat, Kahlua did her best to remain calm and allow herself to trust the wolf. Normally so open to strangers, the idea was becoming easier for her. Surely she would still skitter away if he jumped from the shadows at her, but perhaps she would be able to call him friend soon enough. As he stepped forward toward the old mare, Kahlua watched him and tried to relax her body language. She allowed one of her hooves to cock, allowed her ears to relax and rotate freely, and allowed a smile to resettle upon her lips.

Across from her, Resplendnece seemed to be doing exactly the same. The elder mare had a dominating presence despite the frailty that aged graced her with and she seemed to have an ability to comfort those around her. Kahlua did not know this mare, but she decided instantly that she liked her. Hellena's smile only strengthened her resolve- both in liking her and finding her way back to her fun-loving, happy demeanor. Perhaps someday soon the wolf would be privy to her childish side, her more natural side.

As Hellena investigated the wolf's potential, Kahlua watched eagerly. With all the conflicts in her mind, she had not been sure if the wolf was welcome in the lands or not. She was interested to see how Hellena decided this. Otherwise, for one of very few time in her life, Kahlua remained silent. This was not her task now, it was Vertigon's. Only he could help himself, though Kahlua did not think this in her head quite so eloquently. Finally, she let herself smile at him. She found herself wanting him to become a member of the Qian, strangely enough. Hopefully Hellena found his intentions pure.

OOC| I apologize for the short post- I'm rather busy, but didn't want to hold this thread up. I know you're eager to get going with Mr. Vertigon

Unregistered

[Sorry for taking so long, life has been hetic.]

Resplendence's reaction to the woman who had appeared was sad but funny at the same time, how easily one's mask falls when caught off guard. Tucking his chin to his chest he gave a soft sad smile, it was depressing how many people had to pretend to be strong, he was no exception. Over the year he had carefully stitched his broken soul back together only to have it torn open again by his families death, now with a new patch upon his heart he hid the sadness and grief behind a mask of joy and calm. So he did not laugh at the clay baked mare's fright, no matter how much his less sensitive side desired to. In all honesty it would feel good to allow his body to be wracked with unbridled laughter, but not at this not at her, no he wished to laugh alongside a friend light he had done not so long ago. But he would not have that, not here, he could not afford to become attached to this family only to bring them ruin. He would stay and if their values proved similar to his own he would help protect them, but right now he was not ready to create bonds, to truly love again.

When Hellena spoke his ears perked, he had seen the way she had leaned toward him with no fear and had held his ground. If she had truly wanted to kill him she would have done so, instead she was giving him the benefit of the doubt, most likely because K had brought him here. Had he come alone he'd most likely end up dead, seen as an enemy instead of a potential ally. He remained silent for a moment, holding the mare's gaze as he thought about her words. Did he truly desire to devote himself to this herd? He knew little about, going off of what Kahlua had said and the examples given by her and these two mares. If a herd had Resplendence in it did not desire strength above all, for she was emotionally weak and easily frightened, Kahlua was most definitely not a warrior or a cunning tactician.

No a herd centered around strength would not allow either of these mares to be apart of them. Hellena was strong, confident, but gentle and accepting at the same time, she was a better example of what the herd as a whole would be. She had not flinched or judged him by his outward appearance, but looked within to determine his true worth as a creature. She was someone he felt he would come to respect. His gaze had drifted to the paint and clay bake before returning to Hellena looking her directly in the eye. "I am." he answered simply and honestly, holding her gaze steadily. Did not expound upon his words and would not do so unless asked, preferring to allow this mare to gaze into his eyes and determine the truth of his words.

Walk "Talk!" Think

@[Resplendence]

World's Edge Seer
Whit
Strength of the body was different to strength of the mind. The two were often compared and forgotten, each described as important and yet, never truly understood. The young Resplendence that shivered by my side was perhaps seen as weak for showing her fear so openly, but why would she have been accepted into this herd if our WeyrLeader had not seen something worthwhile within her? Everyone had something to give, and perhaps I was being too judgmental in assuming that this wolf had only teeth and claws to offer - maybe he had more beneath that rich auburn pelt of his, behind those deep, inquisitive eyes. He replied to me, and I considered his words, and found myself satisfied. It would be interesting indeed getting to know him further, which was something I found myself wanting to do. Perhaps he would prove to be a scholar as well as a protector. Perhaps he would prove to be nothing more than a mindless predator when exposed to the youth of our herd.

Could he be trusted?

"Very well," I said, dipping my horned crown to his as silent affirmation. "Be sure to seek out our WingLeaders, Destrier and Kaj." I could accept him as a citizen, but he would need to gain the approval of more than I to be raised to a Protector. "Welcome." I added, before nudging the mare beside me, and sweeping the mists around us with my leonine tail, I allowed myself and Resplendence to be absorbed by our home, to find peace and security within the misty darkness of the realm gifted to us by the Goddness of the night.

[ Sorry for the wait! Just wrapping this up. Abba gave me permission to say Res followed Hellena <3]

bg - table