the Rift

[OPEN] Of Sapphires and Rubies [Open]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Kahlua walked with purpose, a far cry from her usual meandering gate. Earlier she had traveled from Threshold to Throat with the intention of visiting with Onni. Her visit had gone perfect, with the exception of a small hiccup. Having spent the night on the sands, in the flickering light of the burning pyre, she was headed home now. However, before going home, she had a goal. She had passed by a pool of the clearest water she had even seen on her way south, the glimmering red stones in the bottom drawing her attention. That was what she searched for now- the pool with the shining rubies.

Guided by the light of the moon, Kahlua wandered through the darkened forest. She was somewhat unnerved by the way the shadows twisted and danced between the trees, but she tried to keep her head high. She was attempting to prove herself useful to Aaron and show that she was worthy of the Glazier title that she hoped to someday obtain. Even though the crafting magic was still gone from Helovia, she could still gather materials in preparation for the gods' returns.

Coming upon the pool she had seen in the moonlight the day before, Kahlua stopped at its edge and looked down. The way the moonlight played upon the stones drew her in and she forgot, as she usually did, to be aware of her surroundings. Stepping oh so gently into the waters, blue eyes watching the waves ripple out from her forelimbs, Kahlua smiled. Keeping to the shallow portions of the pool, Kahlua dipped her nose into the cool waters and grabbed several stones from the sandy bottom. Dumping them on the shore, then, she took great care to nose apart the small and well-formed stones. Shoving the ones she deemed unworthy off to the side, Kahlua dipped her nose into the waters again.

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Brisa Posts: 386
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 15.4 :: 7 HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Hikari :: Common Kitsune :: Fire nickel

Well things had been interesting so far over the past couple days that she had come to reside in the new lands of Helovia. She had met a couple others who overall didn't seem all that bad, maybe this was just the second start that she had been hoping for all along. Finally a chance for her to start over and begin to heal herself from the inside out. Her nerves were still a little wary over things in general but she was nowhere as skitzy as she had first been upon coming to the dark lands. Its amazing what a few kind words can do to a girl she thought thinking back to one of the first horses she had met in a place called the threshold. The black stallion was who stood out in her mind the most as he had offered her a home she had gladly accepted but also took time to show her that he would not harm her like so many others had before. Destrier was the one who seemed to always linger on her mind despite her attempts to think of other things. She couldn't really believe that a stallion like Destrier would ever be interested in someone like her, especially after the horrid first appearance she had made. Speaking of first appearances, what had ever happened to the other mares that had greeted her back then?

From what she could remember they had all kinda just drifted off their own separate ways. Harmony and Kahlua she remembered silently thinking back to them. Maybe whenever she found her way back home again she could ask someone if they knew of them, maybe then she could potentially speak with them again. Now if only she could figure out a sense of where the hell she was. Continuing along under the light of the trees she gazed around hoping to see something familiar that would point her in the right direction. Hearing what sounded to be splashing she stood stock still listening trying to figure out where it was coming from. A little nervously she stepped forward off the path to her left urging herself to keep moving. In the shadows ahead she could make out a figure moving around in what looked to be a pond or something, why would they be doing that she pondered. Hesitantly stepping out of the brush separating their view from each other she hoped she was not making a mistake but was pleasantly surprised to see a familiar face standing in the pond.

Kahlua seemed to be fishing for something within the gravel of the water but with the darkness it was hard to make out exactly what it was. Clearing her throat hoping not to scare the mare she spoke softly. "Kahlua? What are you doing?" Pricking her ears forward she took another step forward to the edge of the water stopping to gaze down with curiosity at what the other mare was up to.

TAGS: @[Kahlua]
MUSE: Good
NOTES: Totally forgot about this thread, so sorry XD

Table and Image by Moonstone Designs
[Image: brisa_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobm.png]
-- Please Tag Me In Posts --
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Icon base: Bronzehalo

As she continued to fish through the waters, Kahlua forgot to keep track of her surroundings. She rarely did pay attention to what was going on around her, trusting as she was that no others would hurt her. Perhaps she should have learned her lesson by now. She had only been here two seasons and already she was a veteran of two fights. One her own fault, having said something to any angry horse. The other a defense of her home, though she had not known it at the time. So, as she stood now, the rustling of the trees was the farthest thing from her mind. Of course, it caused her some surprise then, when she was joined by another.

Kahlua? What are you doing? Kahlua stiffened at the sound, her head jerking upward as she looked for the source. Upon finding it, she flicked her ears to the mare and studied her intensely. She did not remember the mare, but obviously she had met her at some point. Since the other knew her name, Kahlua decided she must have simply forgotten their previous meeting (so unlike her). Smiling then, Kahlua nodded and spoke, her dancing voice breaking the silence that now sat between the two. “You'll have to forgive me, my friend. I seem to have forgotten your name.”

Looking back to the two or three worthy stones she had left sitting on the pool's edge, she then responded to the rest of the mare's question. “I'm a craftsman for the herd. I'm collecting these stones, in case they might be valuable for my trade at some time.” Dipping her nose back into the waters, she drew a few more stones out and began sorting through them with her nose as she waited for a response from the mare. As she waited, she wondered how many of these stones she could carry in her mouth. Having nothing to carry them in, unless she was able to think of something, her mouth was the best she would be able to do for now. She sighed, making a mental note to ask Aaron or Lace to make her something reasonably bowl shaped.

@[Brisa]- No worries at all! Did you want to be tagged every post? Please don't tag me :)

Watching the mare carefully she wondered if she was just imagining having met this mare before. No surely this was the same mare that had greeted her at the threshold, she was positive. At first her approach seemed to startle Kahlua but slowly she seemed to come around to the idea she was not going to hurt her. Who ever had said meeting others was simple had obviously never felt as utterly hopeless at greeting new people as she did. Give it time, she thought to herself trying to stifle her indecisive worries.

"My name is Brisa, remember we met back at the threshold." She responded gently offering a small smile before turning her gaze down to the stones that were laid out on the shoreline. She wondered what kinds of things that could be made out of them but could think of nothing. They were definitely prettier than most of the stones she had come across before, they must have some value to them for something. Did her herd make use of things like this as well? She would have to remember to ask someone later on if she could ever find her way back home again. What other things could be used to trade or to make things with, other coloured stones maybe? Her curiosity was intrigued just thinking about all of the things that she had yet to learn about this place. "That sounds neat, how do you know where to find things like this are they everywhere?" She questioned watching the paint mare continue sorting through the stones. How did she know what was useful and what wasn't?

"I'm not disturbing you am I, if I am I can leave?.." She said feeling a little hesitant suddenly aware of her rudeness at just approaching the mare. Taking a small step back she contemplated whether it would be better to leave now. Maybe Kahlua did not want any company especially from someone she could not even remember. It really wasn't a huge surprise to her that she was forgettable, there wasn't anything special about her anyway. Its not as if she had any talents or could be useful for anything that was important.

TAGS: Kahlua
NOTES: Yes please tag me in responses so that I know that you have replied. I tend to lose track of some threads on occasion XD

-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --

My name is Brisa, the other mare said and Kahlua racked her brain for the name. She was usually good at remember faces and names, but this one seemed to escape her. Still, the mare must be speaking true. Brisa knew her name, and that had not come from nowhere. Kahlua wished, in this moment, that she knew how to lie or that she was capable of crafting convincing tales. She wanted to say 'Oh, yes, I remember you now!' Unfortunately, she was not capable of such things. Lies out of Kahlua's mouth were as see-through as the air. “I don't, I'm afraid. But I'm glad to meet you again.”

As the mare went on to speak a few more times, Kahlua could not help but laugh kindly. “Of course you're not disturbing me,” she said kindly. If she was anything, Kahlua was a social butterfly. The happy company of others was always welcome in her midst. Unhappy company was another story, but as far as Kahlua could tell this white mare had good intentions. “It's nice to have company in all the darkness and shadows. As for the stones... they're not everywhere...” she trailed off a moment, furrowing her brow in thought. Thinking was not always an easy task for the painted mare. Her dancing tones and happy demeanor were quick to return, though. “I happened upon this pool by accident a few days past. I've only seen colored stones in one other location... Helovia's Heart.” Thoughts of the other place made her shake her head slightly. Too much had happened there for her to wish to return.

Realizing that digging about in the cool waters was chilling her joints, Kahlua grabbed one more pile of stones from the waters' bottom before stepping out of the pond onto dry land. As she continued sorting the stones into ones she thought were pretty or not, she chattered on to her new companion, her dancing tones filling the dark surroundings. “If we met, you call the Edge home then?” She looked to the mare for conformation before continuing on. “I hope you'll come to love it as much as I have over these past seasons. I've found purpose in the Edge, and a family I can count on. Mirage gives us a good home.” She closed her eyes for a moment, reveling in the love that she felt for her home. It was not often the mare felt an emotion as complex as love, but the atmosphere of the Edge had done much for her soul.

@[Brisa]

There was something about the small red stones that fascinated the white mare. Maybe it was just the novelty of them or the fact that they were all varying shades of reds and pinks. The only stones she had ever come across was the plain old ordinary ones which never really changed much in appearance, perhaps if she had been able to pay closer attention to her surroundings before she may have found some interesting things. Making a mental note to try and find some stones or something that may be of value in the future. At least it would be something that could possibly help out the herd if things were as Kahlua described.

"Yes I have decided to call the edge home. So far it doesn't seem all too bad." She commented managing a small laugh. If her friend called the edge home as well maybe she might know somethings that she might be able to do. Wait if she remembered correctly did she not say that she was part of some other herd in the threshold. Not thinking too much of it she listened contently to what Kahlua had to say enjoying the company as well as learning different things about the red stones in the process.

"What all else is there to do around here?" She asked curiously gazing around into the darkness not really expecting to see anything. Not much of the land had been shown to her so far so anything beyond those areas was a mystery to her. Surely there must be lots of things that one could do. "What is Helovia's heart that you mentioned before? What kind of things can you find there?" In the lands that she once used to call home she could remember exploring everywhere finding different sights and sounds and trying to guess what they were. Back then it was more of a foolish game to pass time but now it was something essential that she figured she should know. The more she knew about this land the better she could handle what was thrown at her, right?

NOTES: Oh so curious xd

I have decided to call the Edge home. Kahlua loved to hear the words. Recruiting from the Threshold was one of her favorite pastimes, perhaps only topped by doing her job. Of course, crafting was of dual purpose to the mare. She was doing something she loved and proving her usefulness to the herd and Glaziers. Someday she would be promoted to the position, she absolutely knew it and would not rest until it was otherwise.

As she continued sorting, she listened contentedly to the mare. She was glad to be in the company of another who spoke so easily. Once the mare finished, Kahlua went on speaking. It was rare that she should be the on teaching while another listened. She was hardly the educated sort; however, the questions the mare had asked were simple enough and so Kahlua did her best to answer them. “Well, if you're looking for a job in the herd there are the warriors, of course. Spies, medics... the crafters.” She hurried past the last word a little. She was conflicted about whether she wanted others to be crafters or not. She wanted them to share her joy, but she did not like the competition for a job. “And then the scholars are left, I suppose.” She looked to the mare to see if any of the jobs had sparked her interest before answering her other questions, about the heart.

“Helovia's Heart is to the...” she stopped to think and orient herself. “West of here. It is a strange hole in the ground filled with fire and lava. The land around it is rather beautiful, covered in multicolored stones as it is but...” She trailed off and her ears fell back upon her head. She didn't like the memory, but she couldn't think of a reason to hide the knowledge. Onni had told Kahlua, Kahlua could share with Brisa. “When I was passing through one evening, a giant, flaming lizard crawled from the pit. I was lucky so many others were near-by. They brought the monster down. I guess it came because the gods were gone.” she motioned to the moon that never left as if to emphasize her point. “I have seen nothing like it since,” she added at the end. Perhaps it was to comfort herself, or perhaps it was to comfort her new-found friend. Kahlua could not say.

@[Brisa]

Listening intently as the mare spoke of her experience with the giant lizard thing, she was thankful that they did not seem all that common. That was the last thing that she ever wanted to see lurking about in some dark area or anywhere. To hear of such a creature it made her wonder what all other things lived out there in this land? Did she really want to know? Doubtfully she thought to herself knowing that she would panic if something came at her or even appeared before her with such characteristics. Snakes and anything like that already did not sit well with her, it was just something about them that caused her nerves to twitch.

Forgetting about the many creepy monsters that could be lurking she turned her attention to the many different jobs that Kaluha was describing. None of them immediately jumped out at her as to appealing, she would have to learn more about them before making any decisions. She also did not want to just assume a role should she be expected to do something else and cause trouble. Crafting sounded interesting but the thought of wandering around looking for things was a little unnerving especially with the new knowledge of giant lizards roaming around. It could be alright she supposed if someone came with her, but likely it was something that was done alone. Maybe something more herd bound may suit her a little bit better at least to start off with.

"How is it that one is to decide on a role? Are there any that are always needed or do they come and go fairly often?" She asked pulling herself back from her thoughts. So many questions floated around it would take years to find all the answers. "Don't be afraid to ask me things, I feel as if I might be annoying you if I am the only one with questions." She said offering a chuckle at her rather out of character comment. Normally she shied away from revealing too much about herself but with Kahlua somehow she felt a little more comfortable with the idea. She would hate to make her new friend hate her for talking so much.

NOTES: So very sorry for the delay, have been working crazy hours.

As she was forced to dwell on the thoughts of the fire monster that had crawled up from the pit of hell, Kahlua could not help but shudder. She had been more than useless against the thing, herself. Screaming was about all she had accomplished, almost getting herself killed until Onni came down and saved her from the wicked claw of the beast that had almost smashed into her. Shaking her head to drive away the thought, she was glad when the white mare began speaking again. It provided amble distraction to throw the picture of the flame monster out of her mind.

How is that one is to decide on a role, she began, then carried on. Kahlua listened happily, already thinking of answers to the mare's questions. Before she could answer, the mare added something else, don't be afraid to ask me things, and Kahlua couldn't help but smile and let a bright laugh fall from her lips. She did not laugh because she was fearless, far from it in fact. Rather, she laughed because she rarely stopped to think about whether or not she should be saying something. Without a doubt, her running mouth got her in to trouble more often than it should have.

“I suppose you just do what you like... or do nothing, if it suits you better. When I came into the land I saw someone wearing a necklace with a jewel on it and... I could not help but know that I wanted to make things.” To the other question, she did not have very much of an answer. “To be honest, I'm not sure on the numbers in each trade... we seem to manage well enough on all fronts.” Her smile faded slightly, she was hiding something. To her knowledge, she was the only crafter in the herd besides the Glaziers Lace and Aaron. They certainly needed more, and yet... she could not bring herself to say it aloud. She could not bring herself to give up what little advantage she had towards becoming Glazier herself.

“Forgive me,” she said then, her apology heartfelt. “I guess I'm talking an awful lot about the boring parts of life. Work, and no play,” she smiled as her blue eyes tried to catch sight of the white mare's. Stepping back into the pool, she began digging at jewels again before deciding what to talk to the mare about. She didn't want to ask about the mare's history, so many who came here had sad stories to tell. Kahlua did not want sadness, she wanted happy. “What would you do if you were invisible for a day?” She winked then, and shook her head. The question was meaningless nonsense, but she actually found herself interested in the answer.

@[Brisa]

After going for so long without making connections or talking to anyone but herself things in a way seemed to slip by her as time went on around her. Never before had she ever really considered herself as the type who would enjoy a lot of talking but right now she was quite enjoying the endless chatter with Kahlua about nothing really in particular. It was actually in a way kinda fun if she thought about it. Hearing about the different jobs had intrigued her curiosity into the world she now found herself in, before her only concern was making it from day to day never really with what happened on a daily basis. She had sure been missing a lot during her past life of desolation.

The question that came next was even more random but fun. Invisibility, how handy would that have been, was it even possible? Who knows but letting her imagination wander to places it never had before brought many new images into her head. What would she do? "I've never really thought about it before but...hmm.." She trailed off thinking to come up with an answer. So many things could be done when one was invisible without anyone ever knowing it. So far in life she had nothing to show for and no real friends she could name so living a life of invisibility would only allow for herself to further distance herself from the rest of the world.

"I really don't know what I would do." She admitted honestly. "What is it you would do?" Maybe if she returned the question she could think of something that she would actually like to do but have no one know it was her doing it. "If you could gain something magical like a power, what would you want?" Opening her mind was rather fun as it brought many things to the table instead of just the normal thoughts and such. Her magical power that she wished for was a way to heal others. Maybe if she had known something about medicine she could have saved those most dear to her heart. Her parents, her child... The thought was depressing but one that she could never forget. In the same situation could there have been some way to change the result for the better? What would she be like today if things had been different?

NOTES: None :p.

I've never really thought about it before, the mare chimed in and Kahlua smiled at her kindly, happier now that the discussion had turned away from work. As the mare admitted she didn't know what she would do, Kahlua bobbed her head in agreement. She knew that some of the thieves of the land could call upon the gods to turn themselves invisible. “I think I would be afraid,” she admitted finally. The childish mare was not a good liar by any means, and hiding things was often beyond her capacity. Only her selfish desire to become Glazier was hidden away, as if by some miracle that the gods allowed it.

It was not strange that the first thing the mare thought of was fear, though. She had found herself so afraid, so often recently, that she could not help but have it on her mind all the time. After Onni's prophecy of the terrors in the darkness coming true, Kahlua found herself fearful of everything that even hinted at evil. At least her mind was a simple one. She only feared those things that were immediately present to her. She did not have the creative quality that allowed her to imagine terrors that were yet unseen.

“I want...” She trailed off because she knew that want was not the right word. “I need magic that lets me turn the rocks into light sources... I suppose I just don't want to be in the dark any longer.” She looked up to the moon and sighed. The Moon Goddess was kind of the World's Edge and gifted them with many things; still, Kahlua could not help but feel that she would rather it be an endless day. “Have you thought what you would ask the gods for?” The mare chattered on as she stepped out of the water, finally pleased with the small collection of stones she had amassed. Shaking herself off carefully, trying not to direct too much water towards her new friend, she began to nose the stones into a pile that she would be able to gather up. Perhaps Brisa would be able to provide her company on the way out of this dark forest. She certainly did not wish to stay here any longer than she needed to.

@[Brisa]