the Rift

When Steps Become Miles [OPEN]

Zulu Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Her heart filled with a sudden anxiousness, sending a dull shock of discomfort through her muscles. Her step quickened from a fast paced walk to a steady trot. Once quiet sounds were now like echoes to her ears; the pitter-patter of wings of startled birds taking off behind this tree and that one were like bellows, constantly causing her to flinch, jump, and dodge. A rush of air hurried from her lungs in a snort, Where am I going?

She felt the need to hurry, though her destination was unknown. She felt the need to remain unseen. Unheard. Yet the ever constant sound of cracks and snaps of fallen leaves underneath her trotting hooves was a signal to any nearby being that she was indeed present.

Two amber eyes lifted and squinted towards the heavens. The crisp blue of a mid-day sky was now fading. Bright white clouds were quickly losing their glow as the sun began to retreat. It's getting late, and I have no clue where I am. The woods were spooky to her already, but bright sunshine peaking through the treetops was of some comfort. And now, that was fading.

Zulu was always an impulsive creature, but the mare had really done it now. Headstrong and naive, she would be the one to take off from home on a self-imposed journey to find new adventures. A new home. As brave and confident as the mare was she began to question her decision. She had been traveling these woods since the break of dawn and there was no sign of it's end.

A single slate hoof met a muddy puddle. Her foot sank, and it let out a horrible, shouting thunk. She spooked, she gasped, and she took off into a canter, flying through the woods and dodging a low branch there and a log here. Sweat began to bead and collect on her hide, her breath became frantic. Calm down... calm down. She sat back into her haunches, front legs like anchors dug into the ground. Zulu came to a sudden halt, taking air in deep to catch her breath and collect her thoughts. Amber eyes darted to and fro, observing her location. A clearing in the woods. Now where do I go? With a bowed head, the mare took in any scent hovering above the ground. For a second, she began to wonder if she was alone... or perhaps there was company near by.

ooc;; Eep, I've not rp'd in a while. Open to anyone.

Harmony Posts: 137
Deceased
Filly :: Equine :: 16.4 HH :: 5 § Frostfall
Wild.
harmony

My clefts once again brought me through the thick wood of the Thresh, as I liked to call it. Tonight, or today, whatever it was... was noisy. Many birds where awakening, rabbits making their appearances, and squirrels beginning to leap from tree to tree. With the sun still absent, many seemed confused, acting like this place they have woken to is unearthly, not what they are used to. We all have had these reactions. This new world, the darkness... We have gotten used to it now, or so I suppose. As for myself, the feeling of the moonlight spilling over my lush coat was now comforting. The dark shadows that hid my bodice seemed to be second nature. Night time, darkness... These where my go-to now. The one place I could find comfort.

I moved through a lush area, the grass, trees, and bushes have revived. The Earth God, must have made his way through here... He has returned I have heard. We all rejoice his appearance, yes we do. But do we wish for sun light? I don't know anymore, it's quite odd to think of stepping into the sunlight. Now, everything will be vise versa. At first, the darkness seemed to be unnatural, but now, the thought of sunlight seems not to lay just perfectly among the rest of the strategically placed puzzle pieces that make this world. Sighing, the muscles in my pillars flex with each step. My harks perked awaiting the noise of a new comer to reach them. So when the sound of loud thrashing echoes throughout the forest, I can't help but slip a small smile on my kissers, and suppress a small giggle. Stepping to my left, I look forward, my orbs scanning the forest floor for the translucent path that the being left. When I spot it, I set along it at a brisk trot, the cool night air caressing my long locks. As I near a small clearing, I spot a being standing within it, slipping to the shadows, I watch for a moment. Then I emerge, my orbs sweep across the dove's beautifully put together bodice. A nice contrast between the sheen-like bay and jet black are eye catching. I display a polite smile, my expression kind. Looking into her warm colored pools, I see that she is a scared soul. I step forward, my long pillars straightening in front of my frame.

"Greetings, beautiful Miss. Is there any way I can be of assistance?"

Deceased
Wild.
@[Zulu]

Unregistered

The woods were alive with active sounds, each seemingly blaring as the mare stood there in anxiety. The fluttering of bird wings and their songs. The buzz of
insects, aggravating little things, dancing around her face and body. She shook her neck, mane flinging to and fro in an attempt to shoo the insect nuisances away. Even the sound of the wind passing through the leaves and branches of the trees were all too noticeable. But there was something else.

A single ear flung itself to the side, listening. Was there something else there nearby? Perhaps it was simply the mare becoming more and more worrisome as exhaustion set upon her. A mind trick. Like a black wave her tail flicked around her hind in wary wonder. Another sound. Her haunches turned and she faced the disturbance. Amber eyes widened, nose flaring. Muscles rippled, warming, prepared to take off in a flat gallop.

There was indeed something there. Or someone, rather. She emerged from the shadows; a painted lady of a filly. The white off her hide seemed to almost glow in the surrounding darkness. This was far from what the mare had expected to lurk within these woods.

Zulu's eyes once again became soft. She dipped her head below her whither and let out a breath, releasing the anxiety and worry from her body. Her ears perked forward, "Oh, hello- greetings!
M' name's Zulu..."
She was pleasantly surprised and massively relieved.

"I... I supposed I'm a little lost. Zulu let out short, silly little chuckle then paused and cocked her head gently to the side. "Do you know where I... where we are? I was traveling and found myself here. I'm afraid I don't know where else to go now."

She hoped, she prayed, that this polite filly could shed some light on her location.

ooc;; apologies; I missed reading the Endless Night plot.

Deceased
Wild.
Harmony...

A slight smile began to grow wider, dancing across and pulling the tips of my kissers like sorrel ribbons. Lost, of course this dove was. Who isn't that steps into the Threshold? It is uncommon for one to arrive, knowing where they have set hoof, and knowing all there is to know about Helovia. Actually, I have never encountered it before. Taking a step forward, I acknowledged her polite greeting with a suddle nod, admiring her beauty as her coat shone in the moonlight, her unusual color pattern shining. This scared, or previously scared, dove was one of fair beauty, with a nice personality also. As I looked my orbs with hers, I used them as a hole to her soul. Peering past the frightened look they displayed, I noticed that this fae was kind, and meant no harm. But, who knows, I may be wrong... I am still perfecting my skills.

" Dove, you have entered the land of Helovia. A great, prosperous land with many opportunities. As of now, you are in the Threshold, a territory just before the lands that make up the great quantity of Helovia. Here is where all newcomers arrive. "

With a polite smile, I tried my best to explain to her. My mind was lingering towards the thought of herbs, medications, healing.... With a small shake, I attempted to clear the cobwebs, and focus on now. Not the future.

" AT Helovia, you are welcome to chose where you will settle. Or maybe, you wish not to settle, to simply get to know the land and then chose, or stay a wonderer. Here, we call beings that don't accompany herds, Outcasts. Outcasts are not allowed to enter the claimed regions of the four herds. Also, here in Helovia, Outcasts have formed their own herds, or as we call them, bands. Bands tend to be much closer, being smaller in size."

My words where rimmed with wisdom and experience. My voice soft but somewhat loud, hoping that she understood our ways. I hoped that she would possibly choose to become one of us, for that was what I am here for. But, sometimes, I mustn't think of myself and my family all the time. I must worry about these beings that cross these lands. Help them settle in a home in which they will be happy. This fae seemed as if she would blend perfectly with my family, the kind and dear Assassins. Our name is quite ironic, though. We are not ruthless killers, no. But, we are a force to be reckoned with. We are a kind hearted family, most of us. But, when it comes to battle, we are not to be messed with. We will defend one another with our lives, staying true to our family.

@[Zulu]

Artemis Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 4 Buff: NOVICE
Sei
Quote Quote Quote</style>

The threshold. This damned dark, sirty place. She was begining to really hate it. This place had become like a second home to the mare. Back and forth, back and forth, desperate to bring in new members for her small family. More often than not, she failed yet she did not give in. Artemis was somewhat lacking in charm or charisma, and struggled to portray the happy, peppy mare so often preferred in this dismal land or perpetual darkness, yet she was learning. He smile was often forced and her mannerisms far too polite yet she was slowly becoming more accustomed to the strange ways of others. In her old home, she had been a recluse, but for her very mother, and when she did meet horses she was taught to avoid gaze or be kicked bloody. It was a brutish place, and slowly, but surely, her homesickness faded. She no longer missed the North, nor the angry horses. No, Helovia was home.

She sighed, tugging through draping vines that tangled her mane and slung haphazardly in her path. She muttered insults under her breath directed toward the foliage. The vines seemed only to thicken with her words and, angered by not only the greenery but filled with frustration at herself, she slashed at the vines with her horn. They tore, breaking away under her spiral dagger and she plunged through once they had been weakened. About blood time, she though to herself with a satisfied flick of her tail, which served only to splatter mud upon her haunches. Groaning, she glared at her tail, before her ears caught a foreign sound.

It was no part of the forest and her head raised, audits twisting and turning to better hear. The voice sounded somehow familiar and slowly, cautiously, she made her way toward it. As she slinked out of the shadows, she caught sight of a young painted horse. She was sure she had seen her here before, but maybe she was mistaken? She smiled, raising her proud neck and glancing toward the newcomer. She was a brown, striped creature who stood shorter than the titan but had delicate, pretty features. "Greetings. My name is Artemis. I do hope I am not interrupting?" She asked. Of course she was. The painted mare was the same as Artemis; trying to pick up strays from the darkness. The difference was, Artemis could take her into the light, into her herd where bright trees illuminated the pathways. Harmony's path brought only gloom. "I come from the Foothills, a herd not too far from here. No doubt...." She paused, not knowing the youngsters name. "My lady here tells you of Helovia? I offer you a home, if you wish for it."

Think
"Speak "
Tagged:@[Artemis]
Words:
Notes:

Image Credits
Coded by Stephy
[Image: 258b4tv.jpg]

Unregistered

"Helovia," she quietly repeated the word that the painted maiden standing before her, who was so gentle and welcoming, spoke of. It had a ring to it; Helovia. Warm amber eyes peered around her as if she was trying to gaze beyond the woods, trying to see beyond the acres of trees before her and into the rest of the land. Two other words spoken by the paint filly also rung in her ears. Prosperous. Many Opportunities. Music to her ears. She was definitely intrigued.

Her eyes met the polite maiden's once more. "So I suppose these woods don't last forever then?" Zulu chuckled lightly to herself. The anxiety and fear that struck her bones just minutes ago was lifted. Now deep curiosity surged through her mind. She was always eager for new opportunities. Could this new land, Helovia, provide that for her?

"And these Outcasts you speak of... are you one of them? With whom do you call home?" Outcast. The word had an almost negative connotation to it. One who does not belong. But this painted maiden had seemingly nothing negative about her. Her air was warm and welcoming. She looked young, but she spoke with assuring wisdom. And if what she spoke of was true, that the Outcasts formed bands that were small and close in comparison to the four major herds, Zulu was more than interested.

A sound caught her attention. Ears swung sidewards to meet the sound, trying to analyze what had made it. Had she been alone, should would be been more startled. But with company, albeit one who she had only just met, Zulu's young confidence had returned. The mare turned to face the origin of the sound and without hesitation, another unicorn emerged.

Zulu bowed her crown in a slight nod, politely accepting the other mare's introduction. "M' name's Zulu, miss," she took in what this new mare, tall and pale with striking crimson markings, was telling her. "The Foothills? Is that one of the major herds here in Helovia?" Zulu wouldn't have admitted it out loud, but the painted mare's mention of "Outcasts" and small, close bands had already grabbed her attention.

ooc;; n/a

Deceased
Wild.

Harmony

This mare’s actions where polite, one of which we could use. We desperately needed polite, kind beings like this one to join our band, The Assassins. It is important to have ones that will walk the trail of peace rather than the one of violence. Zulu’s words rung from her kissers, echoing along the wind. Her questions where in good manner, I already respected this polite mare. She now asked me if these woods don’t last forever. With a light smile, I let a small chuckle escape my kissers. With a slight nod, I spoke quietly to her.

“ Why, no. They don’t. There is many landscapes in Helovia, they are all ones of beauty, and complexity. The World’s Edge, a herd land east of here, is located among cliffs, which drop to raging waters below. The Heavenly Fields, a place not occupied by any herd, is a large field, full of many different wheat's, bushes, and beautiful flowers. Those are only a few examples. “

My smile grew wider, noticing her sudden interest in the Outcasts. It was true, we were one of the most closely bound and wise ranks of the regions. Being an Outcast means sometimes you don’t have a whole herd to protect you, but you are independent. Although, all that is different if you belong to a band. The Assassins is more of a family than the World’s Edge, that’s for sure. My time there was miserable, I had to leave. Being part of the Assassins now gives me a feeling of importance. Zulu asks me if I am an Outcast, and I must force myself not to flex my muscles, and raise my dome in a confident, yet rude, way of saying yes. Instead, I nod to her, my smile polite and large. A small chuckle escaped through my throat before I responded.

“ Yes, I am. And, actually, I am quite proud of that. I belong to a close, and kind band, The Assassins. Aha, don’t be taken aback by our name, we are nothing of the sorts. “

Another giggle echoed from my kissers. With the noise of rustling, I noticed another was arriving. When the cream fae came into view, her pale coat darkened with a shocking, blood-hue like color protruding across it in certain areas. I dipped my head to her, recalling I have heard of her before... I believe it was something along the lines of Art? I don’t know... I flash her a polite smile, waiting for her to finish speaking, then turning my dome towards Zulu as she responds. I can tell, by the look in her orbs, she seems much more interested with myself, and the Outcasts. I can’t help but let my smile grow wider, and nod to each of them after their short speeches. I believe the pale coated one spoke her name, but I was too distracted by Zulu’s reply that I didn’t catch it. I simply smile again to the new comer, then speak a polite, kind greeting.

“ Greetings, miss. From the Foothills? Pleasure to meet one of such a great herd. “

I slightly bow my dome to her once again. I have heard greet things about the Foothills, yes. And, I believe the Assassins may have a good relationship with them. If not, I don’t mind. I must set aside those arguments, it is my job to always be nice, and welcoming. And, I wish to do so, for as long as I can.

Tags;
@[Zulu]
@[Artemis]

The life ahead can only be glorious if you
learn to live in total harmony with the Lord..

Hidden Account
Sei
on even ground</style>

Artemis smiled toward Harmony, giving a faint nod of acknowledgment. As far as Artemis was aware, the Assassins and the Foothills were joined by mutual gain, their bands allies. It was probably a good thing, considering all that had happened to her home recently. The abandonment of their lead mare was felt by most and had caused the herd to become downtrodden despite the rising of the new sun. Yet Artemis, who had no bonds with the mysterious and powerful Ktulu did not miss her. No, she knew Apollo - who had taken her from this place and into his home when he was simply a medic - would keep them strong. She hoped to return the deed and so had frequented this forest for new blood. Gods knew they needed it, yet the mare would not mind if she lost to her competitor, Harmony.

That being said, no one could predict the future. She hoped their groups would remain friends, lest she ever have to face the filly in battle.

That was what she loved about Apollo's leadership, however. Ktulu, upon Artemis' first day had asked the mare to shed blood for her 'family' and Artemis had done so unwillingly, badly hurting the young filly Laila. Yet she knew Apollo would not ask her to hurt the innocent again. She was almost thankful that the mercenary's were no longer just that.

The mare seemed more interested in Harmony by the way he spoke, yet Artemis did not mind. She simply smiled and nodded in response to the striped mare's inquiry. !Yes, there are four major herd lands; the Foothills, Dragon's throat, World's Edge and the Basin." She told the shorter mare with a smile. "And very pleased to meet you also Harmony. How are the Assassins? Well, I hope?" She asked politely, though she didn't know any of the other members since she never had a reason to bump into any of them before. She turned back to Zulu. "I invite you to join me, if herd life suits you. Otherwise, harmony here will take good care of you, I am certain." She spoke.

Think
"Speak "
Tagged:@[Artemis]
Words:
Notes:

Image Credits
Coded by Stephy

Unregistered

Zulu nodded and dipped her crown to the two present mares, grateful for the information they had shared. Something about them, both of them, told a story. That they may have been through quite a bit in these lands and in turn gained great knowledge and experience. But Zulu couldn't have known any better; it was all in speculation. What she did know was that these two mares were of great help and comfort. Not long ago she was traveling alone in these woods, spooking at every turn and headed in a direction she herself was unsure of. She left her former lands to seek a new home. A new adventure. There was nothing left for her there. But being the young, slightly naive, and quick to act being she was, she had few plans and little idea of the new lands she entered. Now at least she had some guidance, and she was fortunate. Who knows what troubles and dangers the mare could have gotten herself into. This wouldn't have been the first time Zulu had made such a hasty, ill-informed decision. But setting out on her own was, by far, one of the biggest decisions she's had made.

The other unicorn, tall with striking red markings adoring her face, spoke briefly of the Foothills, along with the other herd lands. Dragon's Throat. World's Edge. The Basin. Zulu was intrigued, and itching to know more about this land, Helovia. And all in due time, one would hope, she would gain more knowledge about this new world."Many thanks, Artemis, for the information and your offer. It is greatly appreciated." She smiled gently and politely dipped her head again.

The painted maiden mentioned her own group, a group of so called "outcasts" that were smaller than the four major herds. The name of the group took Zulu by surprise. "The Assassins?" she questioned quietly. Thoughts of shady beings, blood, and death raced through the mare's thoughts, but only for a second. Soon they were replaced with the thought of adventure. Belonging. Besides, if the pleasant attitude and welcoming presence of the painted maiden Harmony was any testament to what the Assassins might be about, Zulu doubted the group was of the unsavory sort. She cocked her head slightly to the side, more interested than ever in what Harmony was speaking of.

"The group you speak of, the Assassins," she started, clearing her throat and speaking softly as to not sound too eager.

"Do they welcome others? I've no particular skill but I'm all too interested to learn more."

ooc;; n/a

Deceased
Wild.

Harmony

Artemis’s kindness was highly appreciated, her friendly face was now one that I looked forward to see. Her kind words reached my harks, and in return a wide smile spread across my sorrel kissers. I have heard of The Foothills and the Assassins are friends. It’s good to hear, that I could reach out to another herd and be offered support. But, it may not be the same case with other’s from our two bands.

“ We are well, thank you Artemis. How are the Foothills? “

I had only heard small bits of information on their hard place; from Antheia. But it was none of my business, only the business of the ones that accompanied that land. I flashed Zulu a polite smile, before responded to the pale mare’s words. They where quite kind, yet again. harmony here will take good care of you, I am certain . This made me chuckle a bit, a feeling of worth while cloaking my bodice like a warm winter blanket. I nodded to her, my pools filled with joy.

“ Miss, your kindness is greatly appreciated. “

I could tell she was picking up on how Zulu was feeling, as well as I. Her interest in the Assassins was heightening. This made more joy engender in me. This was great, I am finally one that Antheia can be proud of, or so I hope. It would be great to present this new member to Tonka. The beautiful striped mare would be welcomed with open arms. But then I thought of the mare who accompanied our lands. She was cruel to me, but I hoped she wouldn’t set off this new fae. She seemed so kind hearted, and willing. Willing to be a great member, and a loyal member of our band. The beautiful dove questioned our name., as many usually did, then her next phrase made my smile spread even wider, I most likely looked like a fool... But who gives a damn?

“ Yes, the Assassins, I promise we do not live up to our name. “

I smiled and nodded to Zulu, my orbs still filled to the brims with joy. It would be great to bring her back to my band. She would be a great addition, and part of our new beginning. I am excited to tell her of us, and our ways, and how we do things.

“ Zulu, all are welcome that wish to accompany us. We will welcome you with open hooves, if you wish us to do so. You would be a great addition, Miss. We would rejoice your welcoming. “

I nodded again, waiting with an eager heart for a reply, praying she would accept my offer.

Tags;
@[Zulu]
@[Artemis]

The life ahead can only be glorious if you
learn to live in total harmony with the Lord..

Hidden Account
Sei
on even ground</style>

Zulu seemed too polite to openly reject the offer, so her words made the larger mare chuckle quietly. The offer was appreciated, the striped beauty told her, and Artemis nodded with a kind smile. Appreciated, but not wanted, she took that as yet she felt no irritation or unkindness toward her. Artemis was not one for cruelty based solely upon one experience, and she too had rejected those who had come to collect her from this place before she had stumbled across Apollo. Antheia had offered to take her in; the spirited young mare was kind and true, yet Artemis never had been one for leaping and prancing like a filly, just as this newcomer did not seem suited for war that would inevitably ravage her her land sooner or later. Artemis could feel it in the air. She only hoped the alliance with the Assassins was true and strong, for she suspected they may need their home soon enough.

Harmony responded pleasantly enough and Artemis felt a strong pang of fondness for the near-stranger. Though they had never met outside this forest, the young one was always in high spirits and never failed to bring a smile to the titan's lips. "We are... well. Sort of. These are troubling times for my brothers and sisters, but we will stand strong against adversity." She told the filly truthfully with a soft, audible sigh. It was probably best for Zulu that she did not come with the grey, yet they were desperate for new members. They were a broken family, after all.

She listened to the outcome and smiled, deciding she would walk with them for a while out of the vast forest before splitting off to head toward the Foothills. She had no idea where the Assassins were located and she had no desire to get lost, but she was not ready to leave so suddenly. She waited quietly, watching the smaller stripes vagabond and, when her choice was made, turned to walk with the others out of that gloomy, yet somehow welcoming, forest.

Think
"Speak "
[/b]
Words:
Notes:

Image Credits
Coded by Stephy