Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Ktulu</style>
when the sky turns gray and everything is screaming
i will reach inside just to find my heart is beating
</style>

Standing within the borders of the place that she had come to call home was beginning to weigh heavily on her mind. Rather than loving the place she was beginning to grow weary of it. Day in and day out it was the same thing over and over again. Patrol the borders because the warriors that had been instructed to do so were not. Accept new herd members that had no idea what the Grey was supposed to be about because they just seemed to be pouring in one after another. She was tired of trying to make the Grey work when everyone seemed content to watch it fail and just sit idly and stagnantly. The one contract they had received had been a botched invasion that had resulted in the death of her uncle. Archibald was right when he said that the herd was weak. That he was living among rats.

"Apollo!" She called into the darkness as she turned away from the border to face the heart of the land she had helped to capture. Eytan lingered by her side, gazing up at her with confusion and concern written clearly on his face. It was unlike his bonded to have such a mixture of emotions running so rampantly though her heart. Sadness, regret, defeat, and disappoint were emotions he'd rarely (if ever) had felt from her before. She had always radiated strength, stubbornness, authority, and determination. She just seemed to be broken now in more ways than one.

Ktulu flicked her tail as she waited, stone faced, for the Merciful to come to her. How would he take what she had to tell him? Would he be disappointed and angry with her or would he understand her decision and not give her any grief? There would only be one way for her to find out and she'd already taken a step in the direction of finding out his reaction. The black mare looked down when she felt a nudged against her leg. She lowered her head and nuzzled the top of the bear's head. "I'm fine." She assured the bear.

Image Credits

Icon by Tay

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow
A P O L L O

And how can you say that your truth is better than ours?
Shoulder to shoulder, now brother, we carry no arms
This blasted, damning darkness was testing them all to their limits, Apollo knew. When would it end? When would the sun return to shine down upon them and warm their backs? Shine and lead the way, give the inhabitants of Helovia something to look forward to on the long, cold nights? It seemed that the sight of the sun, of the giant glowing sphere in the sky that radiated warmth was nothing more than a distant memory, and Apollo was beginning to truly fear that it would never return.

Surely Helovia would eventually crumble without the sun? Maybe not today, or tomorrow, or a year from now... But eventually?

The stallion's thoughts were stolen from his dark and uncertain reverie when he heard the demanding vocals of the Constrictor echo his name. Ktulu's cry was urgent, marred and hindered with something else, but what it was he couldn't place. Never had he imagined hearing such a tone from his dark lady... Giving a snort to the dark sky, Apollo moved forward, one hoof in front of the other as he sought out the Constrictor. Worry bloomed in his chest and in the base of his mind, uncertain and fearful. Was everything alright? His hooves kicked at a few stray peppbles laying upon the layers of rocks and grass, but he paid them no heed, ears and eyes cast outwards in an attempt to find Ktulu.

"Ktulu? You called for me?" The question escaped his dark lips upon spotting the dark mare, despite the distance between them. Worry and concern both swelled within his warm, honey-brown eyes, and Apollo's head lifted upwards as he approached. Eytan was standing by his mistress' side, the stallion noticed, and he offered the brown cub a warm smile of greeting before directing his gaze back to Ktulu. The overo stopped and stood in place with only a tiny distance between them, hoping that Ktulu and Eytan wouldn't mind the close proximity.

Truthfully, Apollo was quite fond of the Constrictor. When he had first joined the Grey, he had been more inclined to speak with Ophelia with such ease, but since his promotion... Speaking to Ktulu had become easier. In fact, he enjoyed it. Witty, sarcastic, yet blunt and to the point, Ktulu's mind never ceased to amaze him. He had begun to understand her on ways that other did not even attempt, given her somewhat 'rough and tumble' demeanor. Honestly, the black and white stallion wished that there were more across Helovia that were like her. Too many in this land were ignorant of the ways of the world, ignorant and rather foolish... And despite her age, Ktulu understood what it took to survive. She understood how the world worked, and for that, he would always admire her.

"Are you unwell...?" The question was genuine, but when he asked, a smile tugged at his lips. Apollo's eyes shone brightly, tossing his head slightly to the left. "I discovered that my magic has returned, so if something is ailing you, I should be able to help..."

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Ktulu</style>
</style>

"Are you unwell...? I discovered that my magic has returned, so if something is ailing you, I should be able to help..."

If only it were really as simple as allowing someone with healing magic to tap into her and fix everything that was wrong with her. He would certainly have his work cut out for him, that was for sure. She gave a slight shake of her head before raising her head to look at the paint stallion. "What ails me you would be unable to fix." She finally answered him. Ktulu stood for a moment gazing at the stallion she had chosen to lead beside her not too long ago. She had known from the moment she'd chosen him that she'd made the right choice. Not once had she ever doubted his ability and even now she knew that he would succeed where she could not no matter how she tried.

Eytan grumbled quietly in his bearish concern, to which Ktulu acknowledged with a glance. "Sure?" he asked, looking almost skeptical. "I am." Ktulu answered him back. "This is for me." The bear grumbled again and Ktulu lowered her head and nudged him. "Everything will be okay." She assured him again and with that he ambled off to give his bonded and her friend a bit of privacy.

"I suppose I should just cut to the chase and tell you why I called for you." The Constrictor said as she looked at Apollo. "Over the past months its become abundantly clear to me that I'm not cut out to live in a herd." She said. "I tried living in the Throat and I left. The Grey." She said. "Was never meant to reach the scale it has. I never intended to take a herd land and become a leader, but I did so because the Grey had grown too large to live comfortably in the forest." Would he understand where she was heading with what she was saying?

"I am not happy, Apollo, and I have not been for a long time. Day after day I patrol these borders because the warriors that were supposed to be dedicated will not do it. More and more join our ranks who know nothing about what it is to be one of us. The basis of the Grey has changed and gone in a direction that I cannot turn around. When my sister and I originally founded this group we founded it with the understanding that we would fight for those that could not defend themselves. We have not done this." The dark mare paused and stared at Apollo before shaking her head and looking away. "Despite my instincts I accepted the Basin contract and because of my choice Donovan is dead." Ktulu paused again as if sorting her thoughts. "I take my leave, Apollo. You are more than capable of leading this herd to a peaceful existence than I am. I am sorry for being a disappointment." It was time she did something to make herself happy. "I desire to remain your friend if you will have me." She finally met Apollo's gaze and held it. "If ever you need me I will help you."

Image Credits

Icon by Tay

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow
A P O L L O

And how can you say that your truth is better than ours?
Shoulder to shoulder, now brother, we carry no arms
"What ails me you would be unable to fix."

A deep rooted fear unlike few he had ever felt slowly crept into his breast, curling within his blood and freezing it, causing his breath to hitch with genuine fear. What was Ktulu talking about? His magic could heal almost any wound. This had been proven when he and Midas had helped the ancient stag's daughter in the Heavenly Fields oh so many seasons ago. The young jackelope had been dying, poisoned... And yet they had saved him.

"... Ktulu?" The question was soft, barely there, simply a yearning to know just what was going on. Apollo knew that there was more to what the Constrictor was telling him the moment that she and Eytan seemed to speak within themselves, and the chocolate grizzly trudged begrudgingly away to allow them to speak alone. Apollo's eyes followed after Eytan for the briefest of moments before snapping back to Ktulu and giving her his full attention. Just as he went to ask, in finer detail, just what truly was going on, she spoke. And what Ktulu revealed was something that Apollo never thought he would hear.

Ever patient, however, Apollo listened. He remained quiet and respectful as Ktulu divulged to him her pains, her aches, her self-depreciating thoughts and self-proclaimed 'failures'. It was unnerving, honestly, to hear such words coming from his strong leader... For even though they led side by side, Apollo would always look to Ktulu for guidance. The overo listened as Ktulu spoke of the formation of the Grey, and what it had meant, and how along the way, the meaning behind the Grey had become muddled and distorted, lost amongst the normalcy of herd-life. Yes, he knew what the Grey was... He had bled for them. Fought for them. Seen them crumble from the glory that they were.

A breath, long and saddening finally pushed itself from his lungs, but never once did Apollo's soulful eyes leave Ktulu's remarkable crimson. He had not heard of Donovan's death until just now, and the news was heartbreaking. So much sadness and regret was laced in Ktulu's vocals, and Apollo wished that he could do something, anything to help rid her of her pain. Yet... She had been right; this was no wound that he could heal with his magic.

"I desire to remain your friend if you will have me. If you ever need me I will help you." Those words meant more to Apollo than Ktulu was probably aware of. Through his journeys in Helovia, he had met many individuals, both honest and decietful, but only had a small number of friends. To think that Ktulu considered him a friend, well... It was humbling.

Yet her words were hard to hear, and even harder to accept.

"Ktulu... I.... I don't know what to say," he began, honestly at a loss for words and struggling to grasp hold of them, "I don't know what I can say. Not to make you stay, but to make you understand. If... If your heart does not lay here, then I will not ask for you to stay." Apollo paused, head tilting slightly in thought. "Everything that you have told me will take some time to sink in, I think, and I... I regret having to lose you."

Fears bubbled up, questions and yet more uncertainties stacking them upon one another in his mind. What would they do now? What would become of the Foothills herd now that they were losing Ktulu? They had struggled upon the loss of Ophelia, and now... Would they survive it? They were already weak and vulnerable. Apollo released yet another exhale, then continued speaking. Was he capable of leading a herd alone? Apollo didn't know if he knew, or liked, the answer.

"You are no disappointment. You gave me what I had always wanted, and that was a family. I am grateful to you, Ktulu, forever and for always for what you have given me." Apollo hesitated, sucked in a breath, and went on. "I only hope for your happiness, because honestly, I believe that you deserve it. As I am to you, you will always be my friend as well, Ktulu."

"I have seen this herd thrive with my own two eyes, but you are correct that it is losing itself. I fear that soon... Soon the Foothills will no longer be home to any of us. Should that ever happen, I will seek you out. For now... I want to wish you the best, Ktulu." The stallion took a step forward then, his muzzle outstretched to brush tenderly against the Constrictor's own. Their friendship was perhaps an odd one, but Apollo found that he understood Ktulu in ways that he understood no one else. "I will remain and try and pick up what is left of this herd... I will stay until I no longer can."

Another breath, and when he sucked in, Apollo wished he could say that his throat didn't constrict. Yet it did, with painful emotion. "Promise me you will be well."

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
 LAKOTA</style>
 my heart is a hollow place for the devil to dance again</style>

It had taken a while for her brain to stop swimming after she'd been hit by the information Ktulu had given her. But she just couldn't let her go without...without saying goodbye. The right way. She had been too harsh to Ktulu in her distress, and the Chieftess did nto deserve that when she was leaving the family she'd created. So she'd sought her out, desperately scouring every nook and cranny of the Foothills, despairing over the idea that maybe she was too late. Maybe she had already gone, and Lakota would never be able to apologize or wish her well. The thought alone was nearly enough to make her stomach churn.

Who would Ktulu say goodbye to aside from her? Archibald and Circe had both gone, and she'd already delivered the news to Lakota. Ophelia was gone as well. And then in a split second she realized who: Apollo. So when the call sounded out over the hills for that stallion exactly, she ignored the fact that it was not her name in those vocals, and with a hard visage she turned on heel and sprinted faster than she had in her entire life across the soft emerald carpet beneath her hooves. Her breed was light-footed and swift, but she pushed it as hard as she could. She couldn't be late. She couldn't let Ktulu leave without telling her what she needed to say. There were so many unspoken words between them. It was time to finally speak a few of them.

Even when her lungs were gasping at the end, the portrait of Ktulu and Apollo standing together, somber looks upon their faces, lifted her spirit and calmed her restless soul. She wasn't too late.

Letting them speak while she steadied her heart rate and breathing, the shadow mare finally stepped out from the foliage that fought to be reborn without the sun to nourish it, and kept her eyes on Ktulu. Understanding was clear in her gaze, moving slowly as if stuck in syrup to stand by Apollo's side.

She had chosen.

For now, until she knew the paths of her siblings and loved ones, she could not follow Ktulu. Not yet, at least.

"Ktulu." She said it softly, so many words all piled into one, careful and sad. There was a long pause, and she turned her head and let her eyes flutter shut, reaching out to press her muzzle to Apollo's shoulder. Hoping he could give her strength to do this. The only other person who had stood by her all this time, dealt with her crazy personality...had been her friend. And now, he stood beside her as her leader. Funny how the world changed.

Opening her eyes once more she turned back and took a few steps forward towards Ktulu. "You will always have me at your side in the shadows, Ktulu. Even when I may not be there. You need only call." Taking in a deep breath she gave that same quirky smile she'd always had, and reached forward to attempt to nudge Ktulu's shoulder in a half-hearted playful motion. Retreating again, she did all she could to keep up her smile. Ktulu should not have to leave to sadness, did not deserve it. "You know how I feel about this, darling. When I know...I will tell you. You will be the first to know. But...just be safe, please? I can't be there to save you all the time now..." And oh how painfully clear it was in her face how much that bothered her. She should be there. She should be at Ktulu's side to protect her from those who wished her harm. If the dark mare was ever harmed...Lakota didn't know what she'd do.

"Be well, Chieftess." And in one exaggerated motion she gave a bow, gratitude and love, trust and faith, all displayed in one movement. Ktulu had given her everything and more simply by accepting her into the Grey.

It was time she gave back.

She stood back, moving to Apollo's side, and watched with side eyes her best friend, the one who held her heart, the one who had ruled over her for so very long. There was nothing more to be said or done. She loved Ktulu, but she had to let her go to follow her heart without guilt. After all, if you love someone, you must let them go. But...would she come back? Would Lakota?

Ktulu</style>
</style>

Part of Ktulu wanted for Apollo to be angry with her for just giving up and leaving him with a herd on his shoulders. Leaving under those circumstances would have been much easier than a humbling and sorrowful goodbye, but Apollo was calm as he always was, understanding as she knew only he could be. She appreciated it, she really did. Still, part of her wanted him to yell at her and it was for her own selfish reasons that she wished for him to go completely against his character. Instead he spoke of his fears and Ktulu knew that she had bolstered those very fears in her own heart since first taking leadership. It was what had made her so paranoid of outsiders and living in paranoia was slowly killing her.

"You are strong, Apollo." The Constrictor whispered, her muzzle reaching out to touch Apollo's. "Strong in so many ways and yet you doubt yourself. Don't." It would be his downfall. The Merciful spoke again and when he asked her to promise that she would be well she sucked in a breath. Her weight shifted and she stepped forward, her muzzle leaving Apollo's as she moved her head so her cheek rested against his own. "I won't make a promise I can't keep." She answered back. Dark lids fluttered shut as tears threatened her eyes. Not many had shown such concern for her in her life and it made her grateful that she had befriended the Merciful.

Ktulu drew back when the steps of another sounded in the distance. She remained quiet as Lakota approached, already wondering if the poisoner had made her decision to follow or to stay. Her named needed only to be said and Ktulu knew the answer. She would be leaving the Foothills with only Eytan at her side. She steadied her expression, not allowing it to show that a knife had been driven through her already tattered heart. She listened, all the while her heart screaming and tearing at her chest, the mask threatening to crumble away and reveal just how broken the mare was.

"I understand." She said to Lakota, her voice quiet and her words careful. She wanted to scream at her and demand why she suddenly would change her mind. Had Lakota not promised multiple times before that she would follow whatever Ktulu's decision? Instead she lifted her head and watched as Lakota bowed. "Don't." Ktulu responded with a shake of her head, forcing down the bitterness that had surged within her breast only moments before. "You should bow to no one. Neither of you."

With that she turned. "Farewell." She murmured as her hooves carried her away from the two of her closest friends. Eytan gave Lakota one last desperate look and a quiet whine before he turned and followed after his bonded.

Image Credits

Icon by Tay