the Rift

[PRIVATE] strings and hammers

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

Archibald's movements were still stiff, an after thought of his battle with Lace and Lakota's healing works. Even so, the wrathful giant moved with pride and power, muscles rippling beneath his swarthy pelt. His golden eyes were cold, his mind masked from the prodding of his companion. Loudly, in his the back of his head, gnawed the memory of the sound of Fajira's squeak when Loretta crushed her between her jaws, followed by the hollow thud after the bitch dropped her to the ground. Loretta, feeling the memory tugging at his anger, stayed loyal at his heels, but walked with her head low and tail curled between her hind legs, wrapping around the left pillar. She felt no remorse for her actions, but she felt the ice of Archibald's disappointment and anger in droves. She knew, from the moment she tasted dragons blood, that their bond would take much care and gentleness to rebuild.

Finally, their hooves and paws met the Thistle Meadow together, their new chosen home. The meadow was an optimal choice--the grass as lush and flavorful; the stream full; the barricade of trees offering them careful protection. Together, they would thrive here. Taking in a breath, the Dauntless shifted to his knees before finally to his side, his mammoth body resting on the dark ground, bathed in moonlight. Loretta, slowly and carefully, took a sphinx position in the shadow of Archibald's neck. Archibald closed his eyes as the wind swept over the meadow, bringing a plethora of scents to his palette. His ears twitched, gathering information above his crown. Quietly, his mind and heart thrummed with the desire for Circe to move from the darkness of the forest, for her to reveal herself. Archibald wished for her to follow him, to be with him, as his mare and not his warrior. He was no longer her General, he had no claim over her except for the wracking emotion that tugged at the corners of his heart. Before the blue-grey mare, Archibald had not given love or procreation any thought, for he was merely a weapon of destruction, but the death of Mandrake had changed so much within the mind of the combatant. Snorting, Archibald opened his eyes again.

She will come. She loves us. Loretta mused in an attempt to comfort the Dauntless. Narrowing his eyes, Archibald turned his head, shielding his molten gaze from Loretta. Whining, a small and fractured coo, the dog lowered her head to rest on her paws, stained between the toes with soil and foliage. Above their cold pair, the Moon glistened, casting an eerie light over the Meadow that seemed to entrap them, savoring their silence.

@[Circe]

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

Call out to nobody, call out to me
Chip on the shoulder, the dime in the teeth

image credits

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Circe Posts: 101
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
M.E.
Circe

The shadowmere would heed his wish soon, for the dark mare indeed stood in the shadow of the tree line for the time being. Her eyes floated in the din, drops of mist as they contemplated the shadowy bulk that lay in the cool embrace of the moon’s luminescent shadow. Her gaze was tender as it lay upon him—just look . He was a beast of war, an earthquake that rocked the planet and tore asunder the worlds of his enemies. He was a monolith, a frightening golem who undoubtedly went into war with a bloodlust unmatched, excepting the bitch that followed his heels. Circe had wanted to see this lusty side of him; had wanted to stand by his side as they slew those foolish enough to stand in their way. Call it a gory day-dream if you must; it was a little piece of heaven to the shadowmere. Yet now, as the Dauntless lay in the grasses of a tranquil meadow, he seemed positively peaceful, a golem of justice, and Circe’s heart twinged with worry as she watched him. Her heart fell heavy; her stomach knotted in painful ropes.

Circe refused to hide her treachery from him. Sooner or later—and she rather it was sooner—the shadowmere would have to reveal her crimes against the Foothills and the sparkling Pegasus mare who dared call herself family. The notion of spilling her gut and telling him all that transpired sent trills of fear up the shadowmere’s spine; how would he take it? Would they see eye to eye, or would he find blame within the sorceress’s actions? Archibald seemed most distant after his return from the invasion; something was broken in his icy stare, something that quite evaporated the previous irritation that tugged at Circe’s mind, irritation at being left behind. Something had happened; Circe was sure of that. Would the news of her treachery ignite the dormant passion in his breast; would it finally unleash his disquiet?

Regardless of these musings, Circe wanted him. The feel of his pelt and mane, the headiness of his scent, the weight of his bulk, the rumble of his voice—she needed to be close to him, even if she was in danger of rejection. And so, in the quiet of the moonlit glade, Circe stepped from the shadows, approaching her General with a walk like smooth, serene waters. A soft nicker escaped her lips in greeting; her tail curled at the tip in a sign of her pleasure, languidly sweeping the grasses behind her.

“Archibald,” was all she said; her voice was a sigh and a purr, laced with the nip of her trepidation. Seeing him lying on the ground, some piece of her wanted to join him—but her limbs refused to bend. Tired as her body was, the comfort of lying down wasn’t deserved by the shadowmere. Not while she could still hear the echo of the bird-creature’s squealing pain ringing in her mind as an afterthought. “Speak to me.” The ribbon of her words fell from her maw hesitantly; the mistiness in her voice suggested her question for his seeming disquiet, alluded to her creeping fear. In this moment, her anger towards Phaedra began to snowball into a sensation more akin to hate; it had been so long since she had been in the sole presence of the Dauntless, yet even in this intimate place the legacy of the Spy’s impudence poisoned the atmosphere. Circe would be rid of this guilt; her conscious wanted to be free.

Beneath the moon no creature stirred. The darkness covered them like a solid force, trapping everything under its heavy rein. The Dauntless is motionless in the grass, letting the dew settle on his swarthy body. The warrior looks peaceful, for once, in his battle-torn skin. The stretch of his pelt over rocked muscle glistens in the chilled night of Birdsong, with his faithful bitch laying stark next to him. To unknowing eyes, the two are simply just beings, brought together by the great force of the Gods. To the hearts of their enemies, they are the bringers of death.

Finally, she entered. Archibald turned his head to watch her, an ethereal being, moving towards him with gallant movements. Eyes of piercing blue watched him, absorbing is very being. Her presence pulled the air from his lungs, the torturous way her body moved as she neared. Ripple of muscle, newly mended by the same touch that wrapped his own not long ago, sent his heart thudding hard against the labyrinth of his chest. It was without thought, without effort, that the giant regained his footing to meet her, level, his very being drawn to her silent command. Was this love? Was this that godforsaken feeling, pushed down by the melanistic jaguar for so many years? Was this, finally, the life that Archibald was designed for?

Anything is possible.

Speak to me. Molten eyes flickered down to Loretta, and it is his icy glare sending her off. The bitch stood, stretching her tired limbs before she lifted her maw to look at Circe. Her amber eyes danced in the ocean of the shadowmere's cerulean iris' as her tail curled over her back. Inwardly, Loretta wished for Circe to be able to mend the bond between the bitch and the Dauntless, and her pressing stare intended to throw the idea into the sorceress' mind. Huffing, the dog turned her heels and troteed into the depths of the surrounding forest, a meal on her mind, forced by the black draft. With a sigh, Archibald flicked his ears black against his neck, aggression deceased. "What do you wish for me to say?" He asked, his tail flicking behind him, swatting at his hind legs, reminding him that he could still feel something of himself. "Do you wish for me to apologize? For me to slander the territory I have called home since the destruction of my birth land? For me to weep at my decisions? I will not--I am Archibald the Dauntless, and I could not stand alongside weakness for another day, with or without the sun." Archibald's voice was cold, colder than he meant it to come forth, but he cannot change it. "I am a machine, Circe, a mechanism of war--and I am damn good. I am not, however, a machine willed by anyone. I was crafted carefully, meant for one commander, and I killed the first one. I baptized myself in the dark liquid of her life, christening myself to stand as the sole wielder of my destiny. I cannot live while under the contract of others. I am too destructive. I need to be free."

The dark knight took several quick steps forward, pillar-like legs swallowing the distance between his might and her warmth. He reached forward to touch his muzzle to her's, to breathe his own breath into her lungs. Blinking, slowly, he let her scent caress his cheek, intoxicate his senses until he lets his militaristic stance soften. "But I wish not to be alone." There is something between them, something dark that he wished to express. She needed to understand him, to know who he was before he asked her to pledge herself to his side. But would she stay, knowing the depths of his past? The box had barely opened, Pandora's lithe fingers curled around the edge of the top, ready to reach inside and release the gut wrenching horror. Archibald lowered his head, falling silent.

"I want you so much, but if you knew what I have done you would not wish to stand alongside me."

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

image credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Deceased
M.E.
Circe

The chill in the air was palpable as the Dauntless sent his bitch away; Circe could almost taste the thick tension as it slithered in their wake, and in that moment she was certain there was something amiss between the warrior and his companion. Loretta’s eyes found Circe; the shadowmere could feel the voiceless plea that came from the malamute. Something was broken between her and Archibald, and somehow Circe would be able to fix it….but how? It was neigh impossible that the two of them would break in the first place; it must’ve taken something truly harrowing to cause such a rift. How did one such as the shadowmere find the power to fix a bond that was supposed to have been unbreakable?

Archibald granted her wish; he indeed spoke to her cold words, defiant words, words laced with crackling anger and pride. Circe listened; she did not run from his mounting anger, his passionate outburst, with her tail between her legs. She didn’t feel her insides boil with indignant, misplaced anger; she didn’t feel the need to rebuke his words. No; she listened. Every word that fell from his maw were hammer blows in the shadowmere’s core, resonating within, an echo of thought and emotion that flowed on the same wavelength and heartbeat. Did she understand him fully? No; Circe would admit that, in the great scheme of things, she knew relatively little about him. “Are we not of the same mold, though?” she whispered, almost murmuring to herself. Because it was true; his desires were her own, his urges were her temptations. Circe hadn’t been born in a herd; her purpose was to destroy them. The experiment of the Foothills confirmed that. She was a creature of family—but of a herd? There was no place for her. She was too savage for that.

Archibald came close, and though his movements were coarse, he satisfied the innermost wishes of Circe’s body. As his muzzle came to touch hers, something sparked within her chest, something achingly familiar and still so alien. Some piece of her whispered in her mind, gently, You’ve done this before. There’s nothing to be afraid of--but it was wrenching control out of her hands. The night sky, the glade bathed in moonlight; these things were quickly becoming forgotten, as it was the presence of the Dauntless that started to dominate Circe’s perception. How he stood in the lush grass—how his tail lashed behind him in his anger—how his voice rumbled like an avalanche and shook the marrow in her bones--how his eyes broke the darkness, almost glowing, watching her, causing her hear to pulse unbearably in her chest—

*"I want you so much, but if you knew what I have done you would not wish to stand alongside me."*

“Don’t tell me what I would or would not wish,” hissed Circe; her words were hoarse and fierce, but it wasn’t with anger. Whatever was happening to the shadowmere forced these things from her throat. She couldn’t control it—and as she deduced what her body craved, Circe debated whether or not she truly wanted to regain control. “I turned my back on the Foothills because they proved to break the bond of brotherhood. I attacked one of them, Archibald; I attacked her and almost killed her companion in the process. I didn’t—“ a thin crack appeared in the surface of her voice; she rallied almost at once, “I didn’t mean for such bloodshed. Her maw needed to be closed; foolish things, she said to me. She said I was your pet.”

A blaze became lit, the same rumbling anger that had exploded all over Phaedra’s chest and Stella’s tiny heart. “I’m more,” she said, and Circe moved closer to him; she moved to bury the side of her face into his thick mane, to drink him in and feel his bulk, as her desires wont her to do, “I’m more to you than that. I’m more—I could be more. She refused to see her careless mistake; so she paid the price, and I took my leave. I will not be wasted.”

“You’ve…never wasted me,” Circe continued; a certain thickness was overcoming her voice; her tail curled with increasing intensity, and she knew what she wanted to do with it. The mechanics of nature were taking over. “I wanted to go to battle with you so bad, Archibald. I...was angry for a time. I wanted to be with you, but even then I wasn’t wasted. I never was. Don’t…” her voice was falling into a whisper; she moved her maw upwards, towards his ear, “Don’t presume me lost. Don’t expect me to leave your side. I’m more than some wayward pet of yours. I’m more….I’m…”

She was losing it; stars seemed to pop in front of her eyes, and focus was gone. The speckled Spy and her unfortunate companion ceased to exist in Circe’s mind; things became warped black shapes on the edges of her sight, and she was dimly aware of the white plume that settled near her withers. She barely had a voice anymore; all that was left were ragged breaths. “I…Archi….” She backed away some, so that her eyes may find his. Should she regret this later, or find shame in her actions—it mattered little, because these were the churnings of natural discourse, and those were a sort that refused to be disregarded.

It was her eyes that spoke: If you want me so bad, take me. I'm yours.

Archibald waited, readying himself for the lash of anger he predicted to stem from the sorceress. Archibald knew her, he knew of her pride and of her tongue, and he knew that he should never underestimate her. When her words came, they were hot and white against his skin. Were he any other being he might have flinched, taken the words and moved away with them. She had attacked a herd member, Phaedra, and had almost downed her companion. Those words sparked a flame to ignite within the Dauntless, for all he could feel was pride towards her. He was not angry with her actions, no, for if it were he in the position he would have done the same. The pride, however, mingled with the sense of belonging. She had almost killed Stella, and Loretta had demolished Fajira. The dark pair was more connected than he had believed before.

Her following words were ice against his skin, cooling and igniting a new range of passion and pride. The husky, mellow tone that lingered on every word pulled him closer to her, his body moving to engulf her presence. She called upon him, willed him to take what he wanted. But, the stallion was not taking anything. The matrimony between the pair would linger with them forever, tie them in a golden noose that could not be broken. Archibald rolled his lips over her back, massaging down her spine, nipping gently at her skin. His entirety tingled, body screaming to take further actions. Circe's body reacted, tail curling over her back. With a drunken half-smirk, Archibald shifted his behemoth frame, lifting on sore legs, and gave into desire.

The moments of bliss soon faded and the black stallion removed his weight from the shadowmere. Rolling his shoulders, Archibald shook out his body before moving to meet Circe's eyes. "Do not fear." His words, quiet and yet bold, were a warning and a plea. The knight predicted that the mare's thoughts would travel to their lost daughter, their first progeny taken before her first step. He wished not for her to dwell on that pain, but for her to use it as motivation to protect whatever was the outcome of their meeting in this night.

Reaching out again, Archibald lifted his neck to curl over her's, and he pulled his chin down, hoping to pull the grey-blue mare in as close of an embrace as she would allow. He wanted to fit her under the curve of his neck, rest her against the muscle of his chest, bring her into the safety and protection that was his very essence. Closing his eyes, Archibald drank in her scent, drank in the moment of solace, before, on the horizon, small bursts of light erupted from the depths of nowhere.

The sun was rising.

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

image credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Deceased
M.E.
Circe

….Who would’ve thought, the shadowmere thought shrewdly, that the only thing the sun was waiting for was for me and Archibald to screw?

Indeed, the horizon was ablaze with a dewy green light, twinkling over the edge of the tree line and the foothills dotting the backdrop of dying night. Some dark pain of glass broke; the night was being done away, and so did some black shroud over Circe’s spirit, the forbidding veil that had settled on her mettle like a weight these passed moons. Had Frostfall been so frigid—had Birdsong been truly so lusterless? It wasn’t until this point, with the dawn of a new day and the death of the previous, that Circe truly appreciated the depth of her despair. The fireflies had done their part well to help her accept it; but now the sun was here to obliterate it, to shake the loss from her shoulders, to clear her mind as water might wash upon a sullied crystal dipped in the tar of nightfall.

Circe snorted softly; she recognized the warmth in her figure, the fading radiance that the Dauntless had left after the conquest of her body. She settled in his embrace, melted by him, bones shattered and mended and rebuilt and caressed by him, her face buried by his mane and her neck obscured by the knots and muscles of his form. She was complete in her contentment, doing her best to heed Archibald’s words. Because he was right; it was wise of him to advise her to forget her fear. Even in those moments of the afterglow’s caress, terror bubbled in the pit of her stomach; panic threatened to break through this new-found peace. Circe knew exactly what was happening in her body, knew that both she and the Dauntless were fertile creatures; she also knew that, if she looked upon another Callisto after feeling the glow of a mother’s love….well. She didn’t know what she’d do. She’d only know her own destruction.

Cheekiness proved to be Circe’s salvation from her growing horror; a sly word leapt into her mouth, just as Archibald’s rough bass died away. “I haven’t driven you to speechlessness this time?” she purred against his hot skin, against that bulge in his neck she loved so much; a chuckle slithered from her lips and into his mane, and once more the bliss of his presence settled over her; her tail curled behind her in playful contentment, the new-born sunlight beginning to crest over the trees and enchant them into a brilliant gold. “Archibald, tell me something,” she continued, piqued by sudden curiosity; she pulled away from him slightly, his mane spilling from her horn and her eyes looking up to gaze into molten pools of gold, “Why did you believe me so willing to leave you side?” Her voice was quiet; there was still a purr somewhere, but it was direct enough, and in the throaty tones her interest was evident.

She melted into him, succumb to the darkness that engulfed her. Darkness of his heart, of his spirit, of his body. The imposing, behemoth figure of the Dauntless seemed to be caught in a state of drunkenness, the opiate of lust coursing through his muddied veins. His eyelids drooped, pulled down by the drug that was Circe. Oh, but she was hemlock, laced with valerian and lavender. The sun spilled over them, encasing them like golden statues. Archibald shifted his weight as the shadowmere moved away, his ears pinning some against his nape, confusion morphing his brow. Sighing, the dark knight squared his weight and thought about the answer to her question.

Truly, he did not, until this moment, think about why he thought she would abandon him. Despite that, the answer was blatantly obvious, at least for anyone that knew anything of the Dauntless' past. Mandrake was the reason. "I have nine brothers, Circe. One mother, one father. Even still, I have been alone most of my life." He started, his eyes hard on the blue seas of the mare before him. "Mandrake is my mother's name. I do not know the name of my father, but I am the very essence of him. My twin brother's name is Vincent. I have not seen him since Knox's birth, almost three years ago. My other brothers are Wilder, Evers, Casimir, Tajheri, Kipp, Emerson, Knox and Darwin. None of them share the same father as I do, save for Vince. Mandrake birthed some of them, myself and Vince, Casimir, Knox and Darwin, but Wilder, Evers, Tajheri, Kipp and Emerson were stolen from their families. After Mandrake bore or stole a son, the other sons were to slay the father or families. I made my first kill when Casimir was born. His father was weak, and I was but just over a year. Knox's father, Roanne the Sentinel, once my leader in Isilme, fell under the hooves of my brothers and I in the deep forest. He was my first kill in Helovia. Finally, my brother Wilder, father to my brother Darwin, was slain. Alongside him, we killed Mandrake."

Archibald turned his head away, looking off into the glowing distance. He felt vulnerable in this moment more than he had ever in his life, even when he was a colt. "I was the favorite son, the best, the machine. I killed without question and did anything that Mandrake ordered, until I learned of Darwin's conception. I knew then that the monster had to die. Since then, I have seen little of my brothers. Knox joined the Foothills, but ran off soon after. Evers left the Foothills as well. The others, well, they could be dead for what I know." Archibald's voice was lowering, getting quieter and darker and more angry with each word. The rage that pent up in the chest of the warrior was finally spilling forth. As he spoke, Archibald realized that he hated his fucked up family. "I believed you so easy to leave me, for blood does not tie us, and even the ones that share blood with me, figurative or literal, have left. I am too strong, too domineering, too controlling of them. I know clearly of Tajheri's hate for me, but I believe my other brothers follow suite."

Archibald sighed again, the muscles in his shoulders and neck tight as they began to shake with rage. He felt so angry at his family, at the Grey, at everyone--except her.

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

image credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me