the Rift

Intentional Trespass [Mauja, Open]

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
Long evening shadows were cast from the trees, stretching across the ground to mesh and meld with their dark brethren. The day's heat lingered still, but breezes blew infrequently in from the coast to the west, bringing a whispering promise of a cooler night to come as respite. A dark figure paced easily amongst them, her coat in tones of gray and black offering her some brief camouflage amongst the gathering dusk.

It was only when the scents of the trees became almost overwhelmed with the scent of unicorns that she paused, head lowering to snuffle at the ground. A border, she knew. One that she likely passed to meet dark glances of disapproval and distrust. But pass it she did, lifting her head once more and stepping over and through the warning wall of scents that were meant to ward off trespassers. Dark eyes became more alert, watching the shadows for the figures of the patrollers that no doubt strode by periodically to reinforce the boundaries of their lands.

Perhaps she alone was the only leader to have not met the King here, but she had heard of him. Him and his herd. A bunch of unicorns that disliked equines, disliked pegasi. She'd heard of two who'd come to her Foothills, proposing to share medical knowledge, only to be met by distrust in turn. Heard of the King's venture there to gather support for a visit to the Veins. It was hard to keep secrets from a mare who had a second pair of eyes and ears carried on wings.

Not quite alone she ventured deeper into the wooded terrain of the Edge, a quiet confidence marking each step while a dragon crouched upon her swaying haunches. She gave a simple call to alert the unicorns as to her presence. They would not have the excuse of her 'sneaking in' to approach her with aggression. No, tonight Smoke came here with a cause, and anyone who had an issue with that was just out of luck, so far as she was concerned.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
The world was falling dark again, and the Edge King had taken himself the time for another "training session" with his pet stallion. Dýr was a curious creature, one that kept Mauja's mind occupied at odd times - he was like nothing else the glacial monarch had ever come across, and the temptation of learning all his secrets was simply too great. What he knew so far, was that his word was law: he was Master to Dýr, and it was with a mix of apprehension and excitement that he shouldered the role. He was afraid to walk out too far on thin ice and have it break beneath his hooves - afraid that the pure control he held over the stallion would go to his head, or that he'd misstep in his handling. When he'd brought him home, an incident had been so close to occurring... A myriad of doubts and fears had hit him, but a single no was all it had taken to halt the destructive stallion in his tracks. "Drip drop" was the kill command, and somehow he'd instilled the fact that World's Edge meant friends, and thus no drip drop. It seemed to have worked from afar too, since Mauja hadn't brought Dýr with him wherever he went, and none of his herd mates had been found bloody and beaten while he was gone. It seemed that taking possession of the tengill, the rope, had been what it had taken to solidify his command over the creature, and releasing it hadn't reversed things to how they'd been before. Perhaps it needed to be forcefully taken from him in order for him to lose his role of Master. Mauja wasn't too keen on finding out.

On the whole, he wasn't quite sure what to do with Dýr. The stallion had some base urges, like eating, drinking and sleeping, but apart from that, his main drive seemed to be violence, but there was no pattern to it. He just charged, flailed, no finesse, no tactic, just a barrage of death wishes. In order to be useful, and to not get himself killed the moment war came about, Mauja had to teach Dýr some basic fighting skills, but how? He couldn't use the command drip drop, for fear of becoming the victim and losing the weapon he held in his power. It was a problem that he hadn't yet solved, and felt no nearer solving as he stood there, observing the fiery eyes of his pet. He seemed mostly disinterested in the world, the hellish light of his killing drive dimmed. The tattered tengill lay upon the ground; Mauja was too afraid that putting it across Dýr's back would be like giving him freedom, and besides, it would just fall down again when he moved. It was a pity he kept tripping on it, and that he never learned to mind his feet, but that, too, was a later problem.

A trespasser was a much more immediate problem.

"No drip drop," was the first thing he said, wary of seeing the killing light turned on in his eyes. Mauja sampled the winds, alerted by the interloper's own cry; Foothills. What on earth did one of them want with him now? He growled slightly, before shaking his head. He didn't want Deimos accidentally downing yet another trespasser, so he'd best get there first. Besides, the Conscript ought to be a bit more careful in the future. "Follow," he instructed Dýr, before setting off at a trot. The Gods had done him and his herd a great favor when restoring his forest, as the ground was once more dark and lush, soft, and springs bubbled with clear water. A thin mist crowded the forest floor, swirling around his legs as the stranger came within view. She was a mare, a great deal shorter than Mauja, but only slightly shorter than his pet. Grulla in color, with the characteristic white patches caused by scars - from their uneven pattern, it looked like burns. Upon her haunches crouched an adult blue dragon, watching his forest with wary eyes. Something hardened in Mauja's belly. Dragon. Fire. And why was a Foothills mare here, coming into his home so brazenly? If she had patience enough to call for them, why not just wait at the borders like a decent horse? After the incident with Ophelia and Ktulu, Mauja had vowed to never barge into anyone's home again, unless it was ridiculously urgent business.

"At least you've got enough manners to let us know that you're in our home," he told her flatly from the deepening shadows, slipping into view with the black stallion as his shadow. It was tiring, to have others slip into his home like they belonged there, and then having the guts to argue with his guards when they tried to push them back out again. Mauja's eyes were more tired than angry, but something cold and guarded lay like a shield just behind his lenses, masking more from slipping out. It wasn't for nothing that he was called cold and Frostheart; he wore an icy mask like a second face, but those who were not annoying often experienced his much softer, warmer side. "Who are you? Why are you in my home?"

( Monster after me. ^^ )
night-fate-stock -- dreamofsandman -- deirdre-T -- deviantart.com // i-mi.deviantart.com
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Monster Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

He had no understanding of time, but a few times darkness had come and went since he met Master. He’d learned what the scent of the World’s Edge meant and he had learned to stay within the herdlands borders. He’d also learnt to lie in the shadow and wait for Master to come home whenever he was away. Usually when Mauja returned the Monster met him just a few strides from the outer border of the Edge, but never did he step over the invisible boundary.

Today a new scent tickled the blood red nostrils of the black stallion as he grazed of the grass that had been gone when he came to the Edge and then suddenly was there one morning when he woke up. He threw his head skywards and sucked in the air, but before the bloodlust and fire could lit up in his eyes a command came from Mauja; No drip drop. The Monster relaxed and lowered his muzzle to the ground. The black rope just happened to lay there beside him and he sniffed it like he’d never seen it before. Then, when Master asked him to follow, he picked up the rope in his mouth and proudly trotted after the pale king. He carried his black, tangled tail like a plume and he nodded his head like a colt saying; “Daddy, daddy! Look at me, look how smart I am!”

Then came the call of a mare’s voice and at the same time the wind changed - blowing her sweet scent towards the black beast. The proud pet dropped his rope and when the mare came into view a new fire lit up his eyes - a fire his master hadn’t seen in him before. Red and yellow his eyes glowed as a murmuring nigh rose from the black stallion’s throat. He arched his dirty neck and pawed the ground when Mauja spoke and then he launched forward - his desire clearly visible on his body. But his intended courting of the mare became short as he stumbled over the black rope and went crashing into the ground, the black, sleek horn burying itself in the soil.

Confused he finally ended up, sitting on his rear end gazing at Mauja as if he didn’t really know where he was.

Hidden Account
It was the dragon who sensed them first, head lifting and jade eyes focusing on the deepening shadows. The fans that normally lay against his neck lifted and extended to catch the sound of approaching hoof-falls. His shifting weight and sudden alertness had the grulla slowing to a stop and turning her attention in that direction as well. Soon enough a pale figure floated like a ghost through those shadows, and a male voice spoke with chilly calm before the spotted stallion stepped into the open.

Mauja the Frostheart, she recognized him immediately from rumor and by reputation. Calmly, she inclined her head to him in respectful acknowledgement. Measured steps swayed her body to face him and his dark shadow. Her identify and cause were demanded of her, and she opened her jaws to answer... But was interrupted.

A rumbling neigh vibrated from the dark one's maw, his neck arched and his body displaying his evident interest in her for all to see. One white-edged ear tipped back in bemusement before he plunged toward her... Reflexively she jerked her head up and back, and would have moved further had he not promptly tripped over the rope that was bound around his neck and hung around his hooves. It was almost comical the way he fell, impaling the ground with his horn. A soft snort escaped her as she deliberately stepped aside and out of the way for the fellow to regain some composure. A smile tugged at her features, and she was aware of the blue upon her haunches giving a smoke-laden snort of draconic disapproval.

Her voice was even as she spoke, hiding her amusement as though nothing had happened between Mauja's questions and her replies. "My name is Smoke the Wild Rose, Military Chieftess. I came seeking an audience with you, in fact. I apologize for coming so far into your territory, but I didn't want to have one of your border guards meddling before I could speak to you." Her gaze flickered briefly toward the black stallion that sat on his haunches with a bemused expression. "I wasn't expecting such an.... enthusiastic greeting though." Now her amusement fluttered in her voice, a tactfully round-about way of assuring Mauja she wasn't disturbed by his fellow's display. Though she doubted he'd've been overly concerned before learning that it was a herd leader and not just any mare seeking him out.
Ascended Helovian

His pet was learning, showing flashes of intelligence at times when in Mauja's company - like now, he picked up the rope and held it between his teeth, looking so pleased with himself that the King couldn't help a small laugh. "Good boy," he praised the dirty stallion, silently amused by his enthusiasm. Even his tattered tail was held high with pride, and a soft grin graced Mauja's face as he turned back to the way he was going. It wouldn't do to land on his face in front of the trespasser, now, would it? The warmth he'd shown Monster dissipated, replaced by an expression of neutral chill.

The mare didn't seem all that upset to see them, nor guilty about her rather blatant trespass. She just looked at him and seemed prepared to answer... when his pet made things take a turn towards something far more interesting. A clearly stallion neigh rumbled in Monster's chest, such a rich and exotic sound that Mauja actually turned his head to look at the black creature. What, he found Smoke attractive? He figured he should try to give him a lesson in racism next, then... Patient curiosity settled in his gaze as Monster proceeded with his attempts at impressing, pawing at the ground. Well, apart from his eternal mud spattering, he was quite the handsome beast. Slick black skin settled across a muscular frame, strong sinews and cords taut beneath his lackluster hide - Mauja arched a 'brow, knowing that the polite thing to do would be to tell him to not sexually harass the mare (and make her dragon set his forest on fire), but he was too curious to see where this would go to do that. A slight twinge of worry crossed his mind when the black stallion lurched forward, though he soon realized he had no reason to worry. The tengill did its job, tripping its carrier up and sending him faceplanting the ground. A fond chuckle rolled from his mouth, and as Monster gazed at him in confusion he reached out to give his neck a small nudge. "Someone else, later," he told him softly, knowing that he'd have to find a willing mare for him or face a potential wrath. Would Lotus be willing to have fun with a mindless stallion, just to sate urges..? Perhaps not right now... Just as a precaution, though, he picked the rope up, working his teeth around it until it lay comfortably through his mouth. It muffled his voice slightly, and usually made him growl out words, but hopefully it'd keep his pet from another attempt at courting their visitor. She probably hadn't come to the Edge just to get laid, after all.

Smoke the Wild Rose. Ah, the third leader of the Foothills, and the only one he hadn't previously met. So far, she seemed to posses a few more brain cells than Gossamer did, but whether or not she was worthy of his respect remained to be seen. A lot of the amused fondness he'd shown for his strange pet had faded away, replaced once more with his customary chill. And she'd come here seeking him? Well well well... That was all fine and dandy, he guessed, but he snorted a little all the same. "Had they found you before I did, they would've meddled more than if you'd stopped at our borders," he told her, his voice a blend of cold darkness and wariness. But, it was true. It was, however, more than likely she'd been denied an audience with him, unless the one who found her held enough respect for Mauja's foreign relations politics to grant her one. Ulrik probably would've sent her on her way and ruined his agenda totally, but Ulrik was Ulrik. Still, he ought to be thankful she wasn't pitching a fit about Monster... Not that he would've cared anyway, and he wasn't about to start either. Mauja gave the stallions a sideways glance, hoping he would contain himself until the promised later happened. That was a problem he could solve after dealing with Smoke, but one he had to solve all the same. "But, you have your audience," he continued, pale tail shifting against his hocks. "What is it that you wish to speak of, Smoke the Wild Rose?"
night-fate-stock -- dreamofsandman -- deirdre-T -- deviantart.com // i-mi.deviantart.com

Unregistered

Without any sign of being embarrassed the beast got to his feet and backed away from the mare. He had a word for bloodshed and violence, a word for the crimson life dripping out of an opened wound, but this particularly drive, ancient and powerful, woken by the scent of female had no word in his limited vocabulary. Still, or maybe because of that, he understood and obeyed Master. It was hard to tell if he’d gotten the part where he would get a mare later but he seemed content enough by the pale stallion’s side. Fiery eyes again dimed into glowing embers.

The physical link between master and pet was established and when Master held the rope it was more often that one could see a glimpse of intelligence in the beast’s eyes - like he suddenly understood the world a little better. Now he was carefully watching the situation, seemingly trying to learn, but he could just as well simply be ready to spring into action if Master spoke those two little words the Monster liked so much.

[ooc: feel free to skip me the next rounds, Monster is just standing there, watching and looking creepy and stuff x) If he moves or something I’ll let you know that I want to post ;D]

Hidden Account
With mild interest she watched the interaction between the two stallions, noting the apparant importance of the rope with all the attention Mauja put toward it, taking it into his mouth like he held the black one's leash. Perhaps he did. It was something to consider, knowing the spotted stallion controlled a creature who was obviously more primal than either of the other two horses present. How deadly would the black stallion be, should he be inclined to murder instead of ravage?

An ear tilted at Mauja's statement, and the grulla inclined her head slightly. "I suppose I would have had to deal with that as necessary." It did seem a little pointless to her to throw a fit over a solitary mare, regardless of her dragon. Were they that worried about others visiting their home? Were they hiding something, or just hated strangers of any sort that much?

"I came here with the intent of apologizing for the behavior of my warriors toward your healer and his assistant. And to clarify the reasons behind why they behaved as they did. Few of my herd mates who come from Isilme as I did have any reason to trust unicorns who believe as you and yours do. Racism ran rampant in our old home, and caused a number of wars and deaths. Paladin, one of those who sent your healer off, had a closer experience than most, when a mare with your ideals kidnapped one of his daughters and held her ransom against his leadership, before attempting to invade his herd."

Her gaze grew briefly distant. "Our lands were torn asunder more than once to satisfy the pride of racists." The old memories faded then, and her gaze sharpened. "But that is a different tale, for another time, perhaps. Regardless, my warriors did behave rather rashly without sending word to myself or my fellow leaders. I would have personally liked to speak to your healer, if his intentions were as he said, for I have some skills in healing myself."

A slight shrug was given then as she fell silent, waiting to see how her words would be taken.
Ascended Helovian

Whatever had overtaken his pet seemed to have passed. And in a way, Mauja envied Monster and how he could shut down his drives at a spoken command. One moment he'd been willing to court Smoke, and the next, he was okay with just standing there, watching with that primal, unhinged emotion rolling around the rims of his eyes, like fire just waiting to erupt into a bright blaze. If the Ice King possessed such iron control over his urges himself... Then, perhaps, he'd never have placed little crystals of ice in Keahi's bloodstream, or planted his seed in Lotus' fertile womb. In so many things he had nearly complete control, down to the seemingly subconscious twitches of his hide or the flick of his tail, but those urges - those hormones - were not his to control, or so it seemed. So how come such an instinct-driven, feral beast as his pet could quench them at a single word? Mauja took his gaze off the mysterious stallion, returning it to Smoke, the wild rose seeking to, for a moment, grow in the loam of his Edge.

He simply shrugged at her comment. To him, it was a thing of respect not to go into someone's home - respect for the herd, the leader, their paths. What if he sheltered individuals who had suffered greatly from war, and suffered from great trauma at merely seeing an equine? As it was now, it wasn't the truth, but you never knew. In a way, it also had to do with safety. Monster knew that those who smelled of the Edge were off his drip-drop list, but what if Monster had come upon Smoke alone, and had felt the need to murder her instead of sleep with her? What if the Throat and Foothills harbored such unhinged creatures, too? (If so, he had to steal them, and make a collection out of them.) Still - this mare took Monster's attention with an air of bemusement, but he had a hard time picturing Kri just laughing at it, or Gossamer not flipping. For those reasons, he was lucky it was Smoke who had come here, despite her blatant trespass.

Mauja inclined his head slightly as she begun to speak, acknowledging her apology.. or intent to apologize; did this mean that she did, or only had intended to, but wouldn't? He'd heard about the hostility with which d'Artagnan and Kou had been greeted, and in a way, thought it was such a pity the Doctor had taken it upon himself to trespass - but even as their mission was stated, they'd been disbelieved, treated roughly. She spoke of racism and of someone called Paladin. He knew the name from d'Artagnan and Descaro's rundown of their mission with Nyra in Isilme, and guessed that it was the very thing of which she spoke. Still, he could hardly tell her that the Moon Doctor had participated in such an event, could he? Instead, he feigned a look of woeful weariness, ears flitting bad slowly. He looked softer this way, sad even. Racism, racism, racism... They tossed the word around without ever confirming their belief by asking him! He let his blue eyes slide up to hers, thinking that perhaps it was for the better that d'Artagnan hadn't met her then. His intention had been, mostly, what they had said. But then again... he tried to keep his tongue in check when he was outside of the Edge on missions, so if they ran across each other here? Mightn't be ideal.

"Racism," he growled around the rope. "My ideals. Invasions." Silky mane danced around his head as he shook it. "Sometimes I wonder if there's something about me that I don't know, some secret that everyone else knows." In all honesty, he was getting tired of being doubted wherever he went, as if the gods were playing some joke on him and sowing distrust in the hearts of everyone. "There's several of the equines and pegasi in Helovia with whom I am on friendly terms, Indy among them.. individuals who I hope I will one day dare call friends. Me and mine, we live here in the Edge - those who wish to live among others are free to do so in your Foothills and the Throat, so who am I to deny those of my kind who feel slightly less comfortable around the other species a home?" Mauja himself was one of them, and if you had the ability to look within his heart, you'd know he was racist to the bone, but it was nothing he'd ever spoken out loud to anyone beyond the trusted Edge racists. That they would carry word back to Smoke was so unfathomable that he counted on it never happening. "To be completely honest, I'm tired of this distrust. My ideals? No one's ever bothered to confirm it with me. I'm not kidnapping daughters and raising an army to invade, or preaching about supremacy, am I? I have offered peace to both herds, and yet I feel as if I'm always looking over my shoulder, waiting for yet another horse to spring at me and call me racist." Bitterness crept into his voice as he spoke, but it never bordered on accusing. Somehow, it felt good to spill all of this to Smoke, in the hopes that she had enough sense to understand that they saw "all unicorn herd" and instantly stamped him racist, without bothering to confirm it first. It was downright unfair, and if he could do the slightest thing to quench some of their suspicions, he'd do it. He just hoped she wasn't as suspicious as Kri was, that she wouldn't decide to distrust him just because he was a white unicorn. After all, he gave nothing away as to what he really thought about Smoke and her hornless kin.

"Sorry," he mumbled, looking slightly abashed. "I guess it's been eating at me for some time."

Hidden Account
An ear tilted back as she listened to him, faintly amused by his defense of himself. He had a few points, she had to admit, and she politely waited for him to run out of wind.

"I am sorry." She said quietly, simply and honestly. "It is perhaps a knee-jerk reaction for those so accustomed to seeing an unmixed herd that keeps to itself so much and see it in a less than favorable light. Doubtless, there are racists in your numbers and they follow you willingly enough, but assumptions are not entirely fair." Not that she was going to straight up believe in, much less trust him farther than Zaffre's flames could reach. He'd done nothing to earn her trust, nor had his herd members. Polite respect was a different thing entirely.

A soft chuckle escaped her at a thought. "Honestly, I lived a number of years amongst equines who were racist, though I did not share their beliefs. Am related to one or two such. So it isn't fair of me to assume you are their equilvalent, regardless of who you keep company with." There was a wry smile on her features then. "Perhaps sometime I might tell you something more of your neighbors' pasts, I lived through enough of it. That is, if you are interested in learning."

(forever later, but post!)
Ascended Helovian

He'd hardly expected her to fall to her knees on the ashy ground and beg for His Holy Forgiveness, so the end result was pleasing enough. It was a start. That was the most important thing. It was not a promise to defend his name and his reasons, nor a foundation for any bridge; it was like the first smudge of pink on a pre-dawn sky, the hint of something to come. The sun always came, but with this he could not be so sure. Only time would tell if the sun would rise, or if it had merely been the last traces of its dying light.

Though, at one point or another, Mauja would tear it from the sky. Metaphorically, of course.

"And doubtless there are some in yours too, then," he said with the traces of a mirroring wry smile after her comment about having lived among them. So racist blood flowed in her veins; there was a certain kind of arrogance in the ideal, though Mauja could not for the love of everything understand why they thought themselves so great, these hornless vermin. He assumed it was very much for the same reason that he himself did, but once you went from the black and white reality of a racist into the gray zone of reason and speculation, you lost track of your own path. And reason, logic, we are one and the same, swallowed you up. He would not go there. He would relish the absolute and imperfect knowledge that he was better than the rest. Mightier.

Dangle information in front of Mauja's nose, and he's sure to grab the bait. Though he did know a fair share of the last days of the living on the shores of Anarore, there was a lot about that fantastical place which he didn't know. Many had come to Helovia from there, its past rich with secrets, plots and warfare. "Why not now?" he asked with open innocence, not bothering to hide his curiosity. "Surely you're not in a hurry on such a fine day." Finally giving up on speaking around the rope, mashing up his words and turning most things into harsh growls, he tossed a brief glance at his black pet before releasing the rope. Fondly he gave his muscular neck a muzzle bump, hoping the creature would stick around. He enjoyed the faint warmth coming off his body, and his silly, harmless antics.

Fortunately, they'd not had much of the dangerous ones.

Unregistered

The Monster had been hardly listening, what is the point in listening anyways when you don’t understand the words? He just absentmindedly watched their jaws moving, selected out the words and listened to the mare’s teeth clacking together and the strange sound of Mauja gnawing at the black rope. When he grew tired of that he decided something in his tail was itching and after almost getting tangled in his rope he managed to bend his body so much that he could reach the spot. Like that he stood for a while, gnawing at the rough hairs.

When Mauja let go of the rope however his whole body tensed and he was just about to run off when realized the ice king would not chase him this time. Master was too occupied with the mare and whatever she was saying. The black beast snorted, his red and yellow eyes gleaming with boredom. He walked around himself two times before he lay down on the ashy ground. He did not at all mind the dirt, his pelt was full of dust and mud anyways.

He studied the stocky mare, her grulla hide and white splotches on her chest told a story he would never know, he would never even learn the words to use for asking. Not that he cared or even considered other people stories, but he was sometimes in the back of his mind wondering why he himself didn’t have a story. But those thought quickly drifted away.