the Rift

Walk to the Sun

Kelec Posts: 18
Aurora Basin Crafter
Stallion :: Other :: 18 hh :: 24 Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
One step forward, two steps back. Oh yes, it was how it always went. Just when he thought that he was on to something the trail ended and he found himself forced to return to where he had started. Only, this time the return had somehow sidetracked him, shipwrecked him on an island in the middle of the sea with no way of knowing in which direction he should start swimming.

A deeply frustrated sigh made the leaves on a nearby bush flutter as the tall creature came to a halt. A deep furrow dug its way into the face between the arched brows as he looked around the forest, too utterly perplexed to even want to admit it to himself. There was definitely something strange with this area. He had been walking for what felt like the greater part of two days, and yet the sun had not set. The moon had been his only guide for a long time, visible only here and there through the heavy boughs of evergreen trees. The shadows on the ground were thick and felt almost solid, a cold mist that chased away what should have been a balmy summer evening and turned it to something that more closely resembled spring. The leaves of the trees contrasted this however - they were large, well developed, their branches bowing with the beginnings of fruit that would ripen come fall...

"But not without sun they can't.." he muttered and reached out a muscled arm to gently pluck a green fold from its place, suspiciously holding it to the nose as he rolled it between the fingers. The scent made him none the wiser; only the fresh, green scent of chlorophyll reached him, and with a discontent snort the centaur continued forward again, lifting hoofed legs high over rocks and roots as he went.

He was tired. The road behind him had been long and arduous, and it was becoming increasingly hard to remember exactly what he was doing. The overall goal was clear of course, he had to find his kin, find out what happened to them and discover why they had simply up and left their home - without leaving a trace of panic, illness, war or even a sign that they had left at all. It was impossible to forget. Even after the three years that had passed since he finally left to search for them the memory of the empty landscape was vivid in his mind, like a waking dream too horrible to close the eyes from. Sadly, the clues as to where they could have gone were desperately few. Like chasing shadows, trying to catch smoke, Kelec ran from guess to guess without allowing himself to rest, driven by the need to know, to understand why things had become the way they were.

As the road grew longer and more arduous, it became more tempting to give up. Especially now after this trail through unnatural darkness he found his thoughts turning foul, gloomy emotions smothering the determined blaze that had driven him on in the first place.
"Maybe a sign would be in place" he hummed aloud to himself, a habit developed over years of maddening solitude. "Should I take a break? I'm tired, my feet are aching, I have very little provisions left... If it's meant for me to stop now then give me a sign."

Again he stopped, head jerking to fling the long mane of red hair away from the face as the young stud scoured the surroundings, blue eyes sharp as they searched for something, anything that was out of the ordinary.

Just then, as though called by his uttered words, something drew his attention upwards, beyond the canopy. A soft, pale light had begun to brighten the sky in the east, and with widening eyes Kelec stared at the rising sun as though he had never seen it before. A faint breeze pulled through the top of the trees, tugged at the long locks and teased the tassels of the crimson tail. He barely felt it. Too transfixed by this the most magnificent of displays, the centaur felt how a deep sense of awe spread within the depths of his chest.

This must be it. The sign he asked for. How else could the sun had risen just when he needed it the most, just after his voice had disappeared into the silence of the night? He swallowed thickly, gripped by a tidal wave of mixed feelings. Regret, relief, sorrow and longing, all too tangled and deep to separate - it threatened to chose him, made lights dance before the eyes. He took a deep breath, suddenly realizing that he had been holding it for some time; and with a soft chuckle he gave a small smile and pulled a hand over the hair, steadying himself as he looked around with renewed interest.

"A yes then... Thus the search ends. Sorry mother - I tried to find you" he whispered to himself. "Guess this will be my home now... wherever this is." The gaze turned skeptical as he turned the head back and forth, taking in the meager soil and the towering trees. It would be more than just hard to eke out a living in this forest. While a decent hunter he couldn't live on meat alone, and even though his kind was resilient and could endure the seasons, shelter was still a necessary part of survival. This particular area... was not suitable.

Shrugging slightly the red-haired male extended furry legs and carried on, heading steadily towards the light of the swiftly rising sun - for surely, if he just walked towards it long enough he would end up where he was supposed to be. Surely.

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
[Image: rB9lYic.png]

Mender, Doctor… Nightshade. Names given to him, names that were empty. At least, they were without Kou. She had made him fit for every one of those names and now he felt like a wilted outline of what he once was. It was one of those normal dark days, the shade had left his home to think, to perhaps find a clue before he started rampaging through every herd on Helovia. As that was his last resort. He’d walked past the rolling green of the Foothills and onwards towards the Threshold, a part of him wondering if his pale lover had left Helovia. If she had, he would surely find her scent here. Wide open plains met deep dark woods, both horse and hound entering undisturbed, senses alert and their mission clear. They would have quite determinedly carried on like that if it wasn’t for something quite spectacular that captured their attention. Hooves and paws slammed to a halt to observe the rising of the sun through the gaps in the trees, darkness making way for tender orange light that stung his eyes even through the branches. Days, seasons… How long had it been since the pair had seen the sun? Could Kou see it? Could Sacre and Roux, Aviya and Nao? Did the moon still follow her son, or did the golden rays even reach Mesec?

For a fair few minutes the bonded duo stood and watched, their eyes slowly and painfully adjusting, for the first time d’Artagnan could happily say he had missed the sun and the comfort it brought. A strange feeling and one he would remember for a while. The Doctor would have continued staring for longer if it wasn’t for a strangers voice that pierced his thoughts and sent Aramis into growling fits. This scent… Was strange. d’Artagnan had never smelt something like this before, what in hells name was it?! The Nightshade quickly turned, the rising sun forgotten for now, and followed his guard dog to find the source of the strange presence. Turning corners and dodging the odd rearing root, for the second time the blood coloured stallion slammed on the breaks and almost sat down in his halt.

What was that? It? Thing?

If one looked down you would see the quite natural four legs covered in flaring red fur and the solid hooves of a herbivore. A horse. Like himself. Yet, if one continued to travel up the sight before him became even more perplexing, more alien and quite frightening. d’Artagnan maintained a large distance, unusual for the normally upfront Nightshade, as he tried to order his scrambled mind to the creature before him. Who stood a full hand higher than himself and was seemingly half hairless. Aramis was crouched down in front of his bonded, muscles rippling under thick fur as sharp teeth bared through a series of warning growls. Getting louder as the hell dog sensed d’Artagnan’s confused fear.

The Nightshade hesitated, then haltingly began to speak in his deep and brusque vocals "Who are- uhm" swallowing, he frowned and rephrased his question. His startled face was framed by the rising light from above. "What are you?" He rather demanded, refusing to travel any closer to the unnatural being.

For forgiveness you could always pray
that the sickness it could go away

Lights they always blind me

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Aurora Basin Crafter
Adoptable
He spotted them about the same time as they spotted him, yet it was clear that the startle was greater for the duo than it was for Kelec. He too came to a halt - for the third time, this was turning out to be quite the jarred start to his new life - and watched with intrigue as a tall bay horse froze between the trees ahead, guarded by a very impressive, very protective.. well, not dog exactly. There had been canines living side by side with his family and he knew them well enough, as he knew the wolves of the wild, the foxes and the jackals of the southern deserts. This creature was something else, something more basic than that. Like the purified form of a hound, with all the intensity of a dying star. Quite frankly it was impressive, and the face of the hybrid brightened in admiration of the magnificent beast.

His attention was torn towards its larger companion however as a deep and rough, albeit somewhat frightened sounding voice cut through the air. Eyebrows flew up towards the hairline in astonishment, and without thinking Kelec moved forward, intrigue and excitement clearly visible in his entire being. Ice blue eyes ran like clear water over the frame of the equine, taking in the similarity and the difference between them, touching upon the horn and the metallic marking on the flank...

"Amazing" he said, more to himself than to the horse and quite indifferent as to whether he would understand or not. "I thought... But apparently not. Seems the legends were wrong after all."

A warm smile broke out on the lips of the red-haired, and after a calming breath he straightened the back and attempted to meet the gaze of the unicorn - quietly hoping that it -he?- wouldn't have been scared off already.
"I am Kelec, a centaur" he presented himself and gestured with the hands towards his chest, forming the words overly clearly in case his speech would be less easy to understand for the other than the horse's were to him. "I mean no harm - do not be afraid."

Letting the arms fall to the sides the young stud mulled over the situation for a moment, then slowly allowed the knees to bend beneath himself and sank down onto the ground, legs folding neatly below the heavy body to make himself seem smaller, less intimidating. His gaze lingered on the odd pair hopefully as he fingered a string of beads that hung from one of the many braids in the hair, thoughts almost visibly spinning within his mind.

"I didn't know I could understand equine tongue" he finally said, head tilting as he studied the glass-horned bay curiously. "While we certainly knew that your kin possessed more intelligence than the average animal, we never mingled with you, and never did you make any attempts at communicating with us. The legends claim that you are mute, but apparently that isn't true..."

As he spoke the centaur began searching the pockets of his vest with long fingers, a practiced dance that after a minute produced a slice of cured meat. He held it out by the tips of his fingers, gingerly offering it to the way flame-beast - prepared to let go quickly should it decide that a hand looked tastier than dry deer.

The thing moved forward and d’Artagnan stepped backwards, Aramis snapping and inching closer. All in all it was a rather tense dance of creatures who were coming to terms with legends. It spoke and the shade froze, the words were strange, horse words upon a carnivores lips and an accent that was foreign to him. At least he could understand the brute, though the Mender wasn’t quite if he wanted to or not. The first few words seemed to be more comments to himself and the Nightshade’s head tilted to one side, legends? Who was he calling a legend? He watched through narrowed eyes as a smile broke out on a hairless face and he introduced himself as Kelec… A centaur. Carefully, he took a few steps forwards before stopping again, a ray of light catching the side of his face sending sparkling colours through his glass horns. Aramis had quieted a little, but the mutt’s gaze was steely and his tail thrashed from side to side. It was then that the beast did something strange and sank to the floor, legs folded beneath as he spoke once again.

What legends was he talking about? Had he never seen a unicorn before? Maybe this centaur really was… An idiot. The only legend here was his royal half hair. d’Artagnan felt a little more of his confidence returning and he stepped forwards to stand beside Aramis. Eyes still held a twinkle of confusion, his body still tense in a confused kind of fear, but his voice had grown surer. "I’ve never heard of your kind, but I can assure you we are far from mute, half horse." Something about that one wrong fact tickled the shades humour. Mute? Surely not.

"I am d’Artagnan, a unicorn. The hell born is Aramis." He nodded to his bonded, who sounded his presence with a sharp growl before falling quiet again. "What do you want here?" He asked as his hound crept forwards and snatched whatever was in the strangers… Claws? They most certainly weren’t hooves. What is it? The shade asked of his dog who made short work of whatever it was. Meat d’Artagnan grimaced, so this Kelec was a meat eater? Or did he too have a carnivore companion too? Too many questions, he thought about attempting to take it back to the Basin, though one look at the hairless limbs and he wondered if the centaur would even make it up the mountain.

For a moment he stared at the floor, a small smile on his lips as his mind drifted to wherever his blue eyed Nurse was.

Dear Kou, what would you do?

filled with rage

Aurora Basin Crafter
Adoptable
He had to hand it to the unicorn, he sure wasn't a coward. Despite the hesitance and the strict upholding of the distance between them, the mere fact that the horned one chose to remain and listen rather than run away spoke of courage, stubbornness and quite a lot of confidence. Kelec didn't doubt that he would be in trouble should he have to face the large bay in anything but quiet conversation - not that he wanted to. The dramatic coloring and a hot temper aside he was a rather peaceful soul, more used to lazy afternoons by a murmuring creek with a fishing rod in hand than he was with the clamor of a battlefield.

"It is a pleasure indeed to meet you both" the centaur smiled after the red horse awarded him with names and gave the suspicious hound a steady look as it snatched the meat and retreated, outwardly not the slightest bit intimidated by the fearsome display. "Originally I had no intention of coming this way at all. I am searching for my kin, we got... separated, some time ago. Judging on your reaction however it is safe to assume that they haven't come this way."

The glance d'Artagnan received glittered with quiet amusement and exasperation, knowing from experience that this reaction was going to become standard for every new encounter he made from now on.
"I have decided to take a slight break in my search however, and had just decided that I should find a suitable place to settle... You wouldn't happen to know of any fertile ground in the vicinity, would you?" Kelec folded the arms loosely in front of the chest and shifted a bit, taking weight off slowly numbing legs.

All in all, this encounter had proven interesting. Not only were they a positive sign that one could sustain themselves on the land, but unicorns almost always meant that the region was rich on aethera; life substance, the arcane source, also known as magic. If questions were spinning through the mind of the Doctor then they burned red-hot on the tongue of the half-man and it was hard to keep them to himself.

"You must have questions, d'Artagnan. Ask and I will answer to the best of my ability" he said instead, accepting without arguing that he was the guest, the unnatural one, the invader who had to be interrogated before allowed passage. He certainly wasn't in a hurry. The sun was warming the air to more pleasant degrees as it rose and with the new light both birds and beasts were making their appearance, blinking and exalted to finally be able to greet the dawn. It was a beautiful morning and after the fingers of his hand had made a new dance and produced the last piece of a fragrant cheese from another pocket the chestnut found himself quite content with sitting there, nibbling on his breakfast.

d’Artagnan awaited a response to his rather demanding question, his mind still trying to wrap round the strange situation he had suddenly been put in. He didn’t know if this Kelec was friend or foe, horse or alien and surely with such a small head there could not be any of his kind that could bare the noble horn. How unfortunate. An inky black tail flicked to swat a fly as the half horse gushed his pleasantries, his smile strange upon pink lips that were framed in a brief dash of hair. Ears twitched to catch his odd accents that layered his voice which spoke words of indecision and kinship. A topic than d’Artagnan could finally relate to. Perhaps an unknown and scary beast to the eye, but his heart seemed to beat in the same patterns and that was a slight comfort to his own hammering muscle that sounded loud in his lobes. His own greying lips formed a grimacing smile and he subconsciously tilted his head southward. "Helovia is a large place, a series of battles have ravaged the land recently, perhaps they were missed… Though I doubt one of your appearance would be likely to go unnoticed."

His words were emotionless, blunt and to some, probably rather rude. He spoke his doubts and let his uncertainty lace each word, it was the only form of defense he knew, rarely the Nightshade came to such an event where his own courage would be tested. Cold hearted honesty was all he knew when situations got… Weird. He kept the grimacing smile as the centaur threw him an amused look and he almost curled back his lips to ask him what his barely hairy face found so funny. However, the beast spoke and took the fire from his sails, instead he listened.

It appeared all the Nightshade could really do so far was smile grimly. Was this what his life had really come to? Strangers in the night and dejected smiles. The normal d’Artagnan might have laughed or sneered or taunted the centaur in some way, but right now the world seemed to be crashing down around him with the only hope flaring away in the sky. He didn’t feel like reaching out to taste this half horse’s blood and it showed through his dull eyes. "I can’t say, I come from the cold mountains where the foraging in rough, but there is food to be found in plenty if you know where to look." Kelec then moved on to inquire after the shade’s own mind, questions he might have or must have. Finally d’Artagnan laughed a rough husky laugh, the hardness in his gaze lifting and Aramis sat back on his haunches as the tense air lifted.

"Questions are for those who have time and I do not. However, I can’t offer you a place to settle as I’m still not sure what you are even though you say you mean no harm. I will take you to my land if you wish and you can seek my herds approval. Or by all means-" he ushered to the land around in an elaborate wave of his head. "explore." The Nightshade paused then, his mind still had not decided whether he liked this creature or not, instead all he found was a puddle of confusion. He didn’t know quite why he offered to take him to the Aurora Basin, after this being wasn’t pure, there was no horn upon his tiny head. Yet, something about leaving such a strange being here alone felt wrong, it was like when one found a new piece of land and stuck his flag in it. This was d'Artagnan's discovery and most of all, he wanted to see the reaction on his herd mates faces. Perhaps then his confusion would become clear.

filled with rage

Aurora Basin Crafter
Adoptable
A gleam of interest lit within the blue eyes of the half-man as he listened to his new acquaintance. The name Helovia said nothing to him, but if the area truly was as big as the bay implied then it was sure to hold plenty of opportunity for both living and adventure. Kelec couldn't help himself; no matter how horrible a situation would seem, no matter how many other things he should be focusing on, the prospect of learning the hidden secrets of the world always made his heart beat faster. It was a shame indeed to hear that it was a land wrapped in struggles, but to the centaur that meant little - it was not a strife that had anything to do with him, and he'd had to be hard pressed to stick his neck into the affairs of the natives.

"There is truth in that" he mumbled absently around the bite of cheese, gaze resting thoughtfully on the unicorn and it's companion. "I suppose there is just as bit a chance of them finding me while staying here as there is with me running around half the world." Without thinking much about the prospects of his race jumping out of the bushes just because he stayed in one place, it did make him feel slightly better. Perhaps this wasn't so much an abandonment of his search as it was a.. different tactic, so to speak.

The smile faded from the mouth of the stud but the open expression of the face did not change even as something about his words made the tall stallion before him burst into laughter. A single eyebrow lifted in surprise over the words that followed, and once again Kelec found himself having to adjust the opinion of the one he was speaking with. Courageous, strong and generous, not to mention wise. The implication that he was not a leader of his people surprised the red-haired, d'Artagnan certainly seemed to possess the qualities needed for such a position. He didn't mention his thoughts however, instead only inclined the head in a courteous bow.

"I am honored by your offer, d'Artagnan" he said and began unfurling his legs once more, hand popping the last of the cheese into the mouth as he heaved himself up on sturdy hooves - an rather interesting thing to behold that left the centaur towering over his host. "I shall trust that the fates know what they are doing and take you up on it. Do lead the way - I would be very interested in beholding the home of such a noble race as yours. "

It definitely sounded intriguing that his fate would be determined by horses. Many a race he had encountered during his travels and often had he seen in the distance herds of the wind-born and earth-bound cousins. But never before had he tried to live among them, and the thought was amusing enough to draw a wide grin over the face. Now he would surely be able to learn plenty of new things...

"Lead the way, my friend" he nodded and drew up beside the glass-horned, prepared and enthusiastic before the journey north.

d’Artagnan grunted and continued to watch the flame haired centaur in caution, he wondered again how such a creature came to be. There was nothing quite devilish about it and if the beast was a devil then the Nightshade was sorely disappointed, which begged the question of how many of these centaurs were there? Was he the beginning of a new wave of species? d’Artagnan wrinkled his nose at that thought and toyed with the idea of killing the half horse now before more of its disturbing kind decided to pack their things and move in. Yet, the closer he took it to the Basin, the more chance he had of killing it. He doubted this one centaur would pose much threat to his beloved ice manor and if the brute should pick to wonder by himself… Then the shade would have to take a chance and attempt to bring it down. Hell dog watching Kelec with intensity, the pair waited breathlessly for the beast’s decision with fight mode half on.

The duo almost jumped in unison when Kelec gave his verdict and d’Artagnan felt his heart beat slow a little. So he decided to take the journey up the mountains after all. He watched the other rise to his more natural feet, a strange mixture of emotions littering the red bay’s face and forced himself to remain still as alien form drew up alongside him, Aramis always watching through beady eyes. Mind lost in the strangeness of the new day, he pondered his last hypothesis that perhaps Kelec was a being like the earth monster he had fought nights ago, but there was something different about the air around the being.

Mismatched gaze dropped to the claws that could bend and pick things up, they looked flimsy and fragile, hairless again. It was the last thing he looked at upon the creature before turning abruptly and walking off through the wood, attention on the Basin whilst his bonded loped beside him. Who knew what would happen when they reached their destination, perhaps he would have to kill him in the end, or maybe they’d find a use for him. He wondered what Kelec thought of him, a friend he had called him, if only the half horse knew the shade's true self. Maybe he wouldn't have been so inclined to follow.

Pushing all thoughts away for now, he picked his pace up into a bouncy jog.

[thread in Basin coming ^^]

filled with rage