the Rift

[OPEN] Rain drops are black in the night (Midas's kiddos)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 Midas</style>

The sands welcomed me like a favored son. I stepped onto them willingly and without stumbling forward as a man whom never walked upon the softened texture might have. Nay, it felt right to breath in the heavy musk of rain and mist. A wave of orange moon rain was coming, thick, dark clouds were rolling in from the ocean. It moved to cover the throat in a blessed shadow – shielding it from the heat of an afternoon sun that lay hidden behind many layers of cloud cover. I smiled, another crack of dry lightning painted the sky with fury and light. A sheet of solid rain could be seen on the distant dunes, far off from the border – but close enough to taste its effects on my tongue.

Fina screeched, displeased by the turn of weather; she didn’t favor storms.

We halted at the border, knowing better than to spread a step further into a territory that was no longer mine. No longer home. I scanned the heaven, looking for a patrol that would surely be posted nearby – hoping beyond hope that perhaps Cera or my youngest child would come drifting in from the desert. I’d come to pay them a visit after all, check up on the happenings of their life. Too much time had passed since our last palaver.

Children of sand, and I was still their father in many ways. So many of my kin remained in the throat, leaving me to live in a distant land.

Image by: Sei
Table by: Brit
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit
Cera
all i've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you

Wounds ache along a pale frame as the cats clear from the border, and the youth feels the deep scores of claws sinking into the meat of his bodice. Sikeax's scream of his name lingers in his head as she stumbles, Ilaria's worry like a pulsing beacon in his head, and he is just so dizzy. Waving away the others at the border, knowing Tandavi would likely attempt to heal him, he brushes his muzzle against Sikeax's shoulder before limping away. He needs time to think, to nurse wounds that Ilaria is weaving her magic into. There is not much she can do, her magic far lesser than what their Physicians held, but Cera refuses to be healed when his mind is in such a scramble. Ilaria's emotions are blaring in his head, and he wishes he had the energy to shut out her fear as he walks away. Murmuring that he just needs a minute alone.

What was initially a minute becomes longer as he heads to the Oasis, glad his wings are uninjured as they carry him away from the concerned faces and back to the water that saps the crimson from his skin while Ilaria persistently attempts to make them shallower. That's all she can truly accomplish, for scrapes are the majority of what she can heal, but much like her bonded she is stubborn and will not let him stray from all proffered healing. Instead, Cera allows her to worry, letting the minutes turn to hours as a storm rolls in on the cusp of autumn. Chasing away what little remains of the summer sun that had drawn the predatory cats in like a magnet.

Sighing, he realizes he must seek out Sikeax, and with a tired lurch of wings he rises from the water to fly back towards the borders in hopes that either she had remained or that he could figure out where she had strayed to apologize for worrying her. But how could he explain himself? He had seen the cat springing for her, had felt the horror that accompanied the movement like a hammer against his heart. Never before had he felt such fear for someone else that was not family. He knew she may be upset with him, for blatantly sacrificing his own body to the claws of the beast in order to save her, but Cera did not regret his choice. Even as the sting of claws, phantoms, continued to drag through his skin he couldn't find a single ounce of regret in his body.

It isn't the pale cream form of the lovely dame that he finds as his head lays low and tired while he drifts upon the currents, but a far more familiar painted figure straddling the border in solitude. Even more significant is the orange and red glow of his father's companion, and Cera briefly considers his current physical state and wonders if he should attempt to engage his father at that moment. After all, he thinks with bitter amusement, what better way to make his father doubt Cera's ability to remain safe in the desert alone than to appear bleeding and scored up with the marks of a feline?

But he is tired, and in his weary heart he cannot imagine Midas caring too much. He was a soldier once, after all. So the painted cherub drops on shuffling wings, landing as gingerly as he can manage to prevent irritation of the fresh wounds. Striding towards his father slowly, the green eyed Diviner offered an empty smile. They had ended their last encounter on a sour, heartbroken note. Cera had not forgotten.

"Hello, Father."

Image Credit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 Midas</style>

Minutes went by slowly, I was surprised that no patrol arrived to greet me; nay, not a single soldier trailed in from the sky or ground. Ivory locks flashed hard against my left flank, two pairs of eyes were drawn to the distant storm which continued to grow – we watched it in silence. Eventually I saw a familiar figure, darting in and out of the clouds. His body a handsome cream, powerful wings thrashing misty heaven aside. Fina had long caught sight of that dusty form, her sharp raptor eyes a boon to seeing distant things. She sidestepped along my body, waving back and forth in anticipation. The son of a general and leader noted our presence.

Fina cooed warmly, fondly spreading wings and beating their heat against the dry ozone. Tail flared out, shinning like a true rival to the hidden sun. Cera came soaring down moments later. Painted limbs stood their ground and unadorned crown rose to greet my middle child; my prodigy. A warm, paternal smile laced its way across lips.

The desert caked his body with a warm musk that was ever familiar to my senses; however, there was another fragrance lingering like a bad omen. Yar, copper. I knew the taste from battle and spar alike. Brows visibly narrowed, pools filtering some of the inner concern that was bubbling toward the surface. “Yar. I say hail to ye, son.” His scuff marks drew uneasiness, but it was common for all parents to worry of their kin. Fina chortled, demanding attention from the young diviner – smirk inched higher, tenderly I added, “She worries of ye.” We both did. Dark muzzle extends, attempting to brush across his velvet to solidify our meeting, “I’ve come to visit ye and Ranjiri.”

“How fairs ye?”

Cera

A beacon of glowing golds and enchanting reds is the goal for his body to aim for, the beautiful bird he adored in similar a fashion the fussing cub upon his back. Cub though she was no longer, Fina and Ilaria were two of the most precious parts of his life though they held forms that differed from most he conversed with. In the darkening greys of the sky held aloft, seemingly sinking towards the earth with the pressure of the oncoming storm, the phoenix was a lurid figure of hope and love on the distant sands. Warm inviting coos were his greeting, sore bodice limping across clay clumps and carmine sands, saturated into a drab wasteland of greyscale hues with the oncoming thunder and rain. A tired smile twitched upon reluctant lips, a silent reciprocation of her love and welcoming. Though it was a welcoming no longer...these were not her lands, nor were they Midas's, and so the task of greeting lay upon the youth's shoulders, a burden he did not appreciate. It was a reminder of the anger and injustice he still felt towards his father, of their last encounter that had ended on far too sour and broken a note. Cera selfishly did not dwell on that day, setting aside the duties of his rank when they dared to apply to his own life.

Old linguistics, familiar and roughened with age and grizzled personality, soothed a mindset Cera was unaware had ever been frazzled. Fina's singing caused Cera to gasp out a pathetic variation of a laugh, and he turned to a more verbose way of greeting aside the prior curl of lips. "Hello Fina. You are as beautiful as I recalled." The stab of his own words drove into his heart. Recalled. But this was not a time to fight, to inspire frustration and hatred nor to tender it like fire where instead his task was to carry the torch of warmth rather than destruction. This path of thought led to hesitation to accept the proffered muzzle, the dark lips seeking his own touch, his reciprocation of love.

It was broken soon enough, pale whiskers reaching forward to return the embrace, though it was kept brief and chaste if only for the fact that questions were to be answered. "There is no need to worry, though I doubt she will heed my words. The sun guides me true, and he has named me his patron, his speaker. It was to protect someone I hold dear to my heart, that I hold these wounds." Eyes softened, turning to a face Midas could not see, with quiet eyes and a tentative smile set into soft buttermilk canvas. An embrace among cherry blossoms, a whispered promise. The well of horror in his painted chest to see wicked claws seeking to devour her, the instinctive drive to protect her, to sacrifice himself if it meant she walked away unharmed.

His father had given up the right to know such things about Cera's life.

"Ranjiri is likely with her son Ryuu. The weather is likely taking its toll on the poor colt's hooves, she has surely bedded him down beneath the magnolia." The magnolia where he had grown up, as well. Cera only prayed he did better by Ryuu than his own upraising. Midas had done his best, but with his rank and the absence of a mother and siblings, Cera had been lonely most his foalhood. The latter question was already half-answered with the revelation of Cera's new rank, but he had little else to share. "My Lord has given me the gift of crafting, alongside my task of leading and advising. He has similarly chosen to gift me with a quest, to pursue my own magic. There is little else to share, I have been endlessly busied. Advising my Sultanas, tending to my people's worries, helping Jiji raise Ryuu, crafting for the herd...it's nice to be needed." Lyrics softened with the soft admission, almost embarrassed to speak it aloud into the tense air of the oncoming storm.

Image Credit
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 Midas</style>

I listened to his reply quietly and without interruption. Truly I’m pleased with what he voices, it would seem my son had finally found a slot in this world; a place where he felt needed and appreciated. My grin is gentle and small in measure, though my eyes are soft with a warming pride. “There is no greater purpose,” I whispered. Previous worry was washed aside by understanding. Protecting those who hold a tender spot in spirit and flesh. “I’m proud ye have entered such a titled position; I’m sure ye will honor it.”

He didn’t elaborate further and I didn’t press for an answer. Let the boy tell what he would, when he chose – it was Cera’s right to share or remain silent. When his words turned toward Ranjiri and the mention of a son I visibly frowned, for a moment I was unable to contain my surprise. Jaws fell apart, slack and wordless, “A child?” I repeated, finding the words tight behind the folds of throat. Gaze narrows, though not out of anger, “I hadn’t realized she was with foal…” Brows raised expectantly, “Could we walk on? I’d like to see them.”

It felt strange asking for permission into a land that had been my birthplace and home for many a year. Yet, I’d given up the privilege to come and go freely – all for the sake of a god. He had also mentioned a quest and the desire for magic, “What quest did the sun grant ye? Perhaps I could aid ye in it.”

Cera

Though Cera had worked all his youth to see the glow of pride and accomplishment in those familiar golden eyes, suddenly he felt quiet and reserved. Midas did not have the right, any longer, to be proud. Cera felt sick, to hear the words fall from shadowed lips like acid rain. His smile was withdrawn, strained. Silent. His voice does not ring out to assure Midas that of course he would honor his position, of course he would love and cherish it and the help it granted his people. There is nothing but the forced curl of his lips and the blank slate of his emerald eyes, a mannequin with a painted smile. Hiding his thoughts from his father, not sure himself what they entailed of in the first place. Merely knowing it was a storm he could not weather in that moment. Later, in the crook of Ranjiri's shoulder, with Ryuu's quiet eyes and solemn face watching on, would he absolve himself of his sorrows and the plague of his convoluted thoughts. Only in the dark velvet of her skin, knowing she understood the abandonment, the loneliness and pathless wandering, could he let these torments free. They only had each other, anymore. They were all they had left. How dare Midas appear and...and...try and rip apart the tiny family they'd finally managed to create? Why? Why did he have to create waves to disrupt the happiness they'd worked so hard to grow?

But none of this is visible, instead he merely appears weary and worn, as he well should be after battling a cougar headfirst. Cougars gave wonderful hugs with their claws, Cera would be one to know. Yet when Ranjiri is brought up, he cannot help but feel smug for his success with his own vague reveal. Surely he cannot let Midas suffer, assume that Ryuu truly was the blood of his sister, but...was he not? He looked every bit like Ranjiri, and when Cera had first found them on the borders, the waning foal easily hidden behind a single wing...well, he had certainly thought the colt was Ranjiri's. Would it be the right thing to do? No. But on the other end of the debate, Ranjiri loved Ryuu so fiercely, she considered him hers in everything, blood included. Damn away all that any other soul could attempt to combat her with. Cera didn't even dare to say that Ryuu was not hers by birth. She was a terrifying mother. "I wasn't aware until she appeared in the desert with the babe, small enough to be concealed by wing, begging for entrance." The truth, of course. Though it pressed even further the shock of the situation, for since Ranjiri was born Cera had never strayed from her side. She had been his princess all his life.

A strange sort of power, even a perverse pleasure spread like venom through Cera's system at Midas having to request further steps into the herdlands. And Cera knew firsthand the effects of poison. Even so, he nods without further hesitation, turning and limping inland. "Of course. They will be ecstatic to see you." At least, he hoped. When Cera had finally found Ranjiri, she had been a sobbing mess. Ilaria slid from his shoulders to race forward and seek out Ranjiri and Ryuu, while Cera led his father onwards. The reminder of his quest brought attention to the amulets hung round his frame, normally forgetting them with how they lay upon his skin all hours of the day. "To encounter fire and store them within these amulets until all are used, and return to him." A simple enough quest, but one Cera was finding increasingly difficult to complete with having to help raise a colt and tend a herd.

Image Credit
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 Midas</style>

He had nearly completely withdrawn from me. I felt it, sensed it. Without words or the lack there of – I knew this boy. Who else had been around to nurture his early days? Had Cera forgotten the countless Tallsun afternoons we’d spent by the sea? Or hours upon hours learning to glide down the slopes of Thistle Meadow. Yar, I couldn’t mend the wounds in his heart, nor the bitterness. He wouldn’t forgive me, even though I’d asked for it. As a parent I would continue to reach out for as long as he allowed it. Even if it hurt us both. Because I loved him as a father would love a son. As my father had loved me.

I listened to how he hadn’t know little Ranjiri to be child – which gave clear indication that he also wouldn’t know the sire. Without replying I nod and start moving forward at his word, glancing over as Cera began limping painfully ahead. The Diviner answered my question about his quest, I remained silent for a moment longer before speaking.

Memories of a certain lass who could control fire came forefront, “I know of a woman who can harness flames.” Last I’d seen her, she’d been burning down trees and other manner of flora, “Her name is Aurelia, I last saw her on the floating island near the ocean.” Perhaps the girl could be persuaded to help, perhaps not – there was no harm in sharing the information. “and would flying do ye better?” He could hate me for caring and I could hate myself for trying and failing…and thus a circle would continue until one broke away forever.

Cera

Forgiveness was difficult when abandonment was already a deeply seated issue for the young stallion. But he said nothing more on the issue, lips pressed to a fine line. Those years Midas was ruminating on only compounded the betrayal Cera felt. But as all wounds did, he would heal, and he would make it through whatever else was in his future. All he had to weather was one meeting, long hours of a family reunion he wasn't keen on having. Ears pricked upon familiar name, and Cera smiled to himself, recalling the sweet gilded mare with the pale alabaster skin and the fated connection between her and Ryuu. "I've met Aurelia. I was not aware she held such magic, however. When I see her next, perhaps I will ask for her aid." Gazing over at the bright sunspot Fina embodied, his curiosity piqued.

"Perhaps Fina could aid me?" As they walked on, regardless of whether it was a valid addition to the quest his Lord had placed upon him, Cera began hoping that Ranjiri would appear sooner rather than later. Midas, ever worried for Cera's well-being, voiced his concerns. Cera shook his head, unashamed to admit that he was hurting. He knew his body better than anyone else ever could, knew the extent of his ability to manage pain. "No, my shoulders ache with the creature's claws. It would do me more harm than good." It wouldn't be much longer, anyways. He could already see the tree on the horizon.

Quickening his steps, the youth shuffled his wings to better hide the injuries, not wanting to subject Ryuu to such a sight. He was a sensitive creature, and it would surely upset him. Ranjiri's concern would be more than enough to deal with without encouraging her worry through Ryuu's agitation. A single call, a soft trumpet beckoning the dark shapes beneath the boughs closer, he slows his previously hurried steps. The magnolia was no longer his and his father's. It had been re-purposed, passed down to the next generation, chosen instead to shelter Ryuu as the next orphan to find peace under the shadows of its form. They come to him, slowly, for the cold and the length of the day are sure to be hurting Ryuu's hooves beyond measure, and Ranjiri would never hurry the boy unless his life was in danger.

"Jiri," he greeted softly, presenting his muzzle for their daily ritual greeting and goodbyes. Then he turned to Ryuu, brushing his cheek to the colt's and getting a shy flicker of mismatched eyes back up at him. "Hello, Ryuu," he murmured, and the colt gave a tiny smile. Silent as ever. Ilaria clambered down the bone of his wing before scurrying up the colt's tail to curl upon his tiny spine. Just as Fina had adopted Cera, so Ilaria had adopted Ryuu. It was all too perfect a circle, sometimes. Nodding his head towards Midas, he never took his eyes off Ryuu, knowing the colt was devastatingly shy and it would give him courage to find familiarity with Cera. "This is mine and Momma's dad. He's your grandfather." Eyes try and catch his sister's, a subtle shake of his head and a warm look just between the two of them.

Ranjiri wanted nothing more than for Ryuu to be her own child. Cera would give her that as much as he possibly could, even if it meant withholding the meaningless truth from their father.

Image Credit

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
 ranjiri & ryuu

so while you're outside looking in, describing what you see remember what you're looking at is me

There were times when I adored Orangemoon and there were times when I loathed it. The times when we were able to move quietly through a wooded area and see the drastically changed colors of leaves was something I thoroughly enjoyed. I also liked the way the cool breeze would lift my mane from my neck and whip it around wildly before setting it down gently once more. However, there was a sense of urgency the farther Orangemoon progressed that set me on edge. Every animal was rushing to get food stored for Frostfall, preparing for the inevitable icy chill that would seep through skin and muscle and settle into bones as a dull ache until Birdsong came to chase away the chill. There were also the evening storms that I hated and it appeared that this evening would be no different than the one before.

Lightning split the sky and thunder rumbled as I guided you back to the tree where we usually spent our nights. It would serve as a bit of shelter for me while I sheltered you from the downpour with my wings. Had it been a typical summer storm I would not have been so bothered with it, but it was Orangemoon and there was a chill in the air. I did not want you to become ill, you already had enough problems with your hooves. Topping it off with a cold was not my idea of a good time. As we settled down I let my wing rest over your back and I looked to the horizon, watching the storm as it gained in intensity and size. "It'll be over soon." I murmured as I turned my head to touch my muzzle to your ears.

My own ears twitched at the sound of my name and when I saw your uncle I smiled and extended my muzzle to greet him. My smile faded when I saw the condition he was in, but I said nothing on the matter so I would not worry you over something that was not proper for you to worry over. My gaze then shifted to my own father and I belatedly realized that there was a tension in the air that had nothing to do with the storm in the distance. I looked from one to the other and began to wonder if we would be weathering two storms tonight.

As your uncle introduced you to your grandfather I lifted my wing so he could see more of you, but it was only for a brief time. I know how shy you are when it comes to meeting new horses and instinct whispers that I should shield you even from individuals that I know. The look on my father's face is one that I cannot read and it leaves me ill at ease. I look to Cera and the look he gives me makes my confidence grow and I look to my father again. "Dad, this is Ryuu. My son."

"."

"."

Credits

aud pixel!
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 Midas</style>

Aye, I’d not thought of it. But perhaps Fina could indeed help him. Her feathers had caught things on fire before, I remembered how the living moss back home had twisted and burned beneath phoenix rage. Appearing to scream soundlessly as it crumbled to the ground, withering, dying. I turned one eye her way, “Would ye aid his quest?” Interest spiked, she prodded with rare keenness at the conversation that transpired by sorting through my memories. I silently translated his words in a language she understood. Those aqua pools sharpened, turned to him as a soft warble came forth.“Yar,” a small smile stretched higher, “She wants to aid thee.” Of course. Fina wouldn’t ever deny him.

What creature had harmed him? I wondered but didn’t ask. Cera seemed content to allow our walk to lapse into silence. I didn’t say anything more, or suggest anything else that would prove helpful to the situation. It wasn't long before he'd led us to our destination. The old magnolia. A tree that had stood firm against storms and all manner of tribulation. Fina took to heaven – climbing high and angling toward a familiar branch. There was sadness in us both, a bitter grief that was sour in our mouths. Even if we left the Falls today. Rejoined our family here in the Throat. Would it ever be the same? Would they even welcome us? I swallowed and gazed down at sand.

Finally we drew near enough for shadowed shapes to become clear. I looked up and saw Ranjiri. Beautiful as always, my sweet daughter. The siblings exchange scents and I’m forced to pause as an onlooker. She looks to me after Cera's introduction and I find myself frowning without realizing it. Her wings part and beneath is a little colt – fragile looking, but no less magnificent. For a moment I simply gaze at the three of them, Fina turns to me then, softly brushing my mind with her warmth and security.

Her confidences gives me resolve and a warm smile chases the shadows from my eyes and face. “Ranjiri. I’m glad to see ye is in good health.” Crown dips to the golden child of mine and muzzle stretches to brush across the tempting heat of her cheek, “and hail Ryuu,” tone softens, deepening into a velvet and paternal tenderness. He is a handsome fellow, carrying multiple horns upon brow – their spikes just beginning to procure. His pelt gives my mind no thought toward adoption or the like. For all I knew the child was of her blood and mine, (though it wouldn’t have made a difference either way.) “I’m honored to meet ye.” Crown lowers to his level.

Ryuu Posts: 28
Outcast
Colt :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 1 Year
Mali :: Rough Collie :: None Brit
 ranjiri & ryuu

so while you're outside looking in, describing what you see, remember what you're looking at is me

I flinched as the growling of the thunder invaded my tiny ears, drawing me tight to your side. My shivering was borne of fear rather than cold, though I knew you would protect me. Weather or wild beast, I did not doubt you could conquer it all. You were untouchable, unbeatable. I had yet to understand your mortality, because when I looked in your eyes the immense love I saw was strong enough and big enough to consume the entirety of the world. What could possibly exist in the world that could combat something so tangible? No, I was convinced that simply because you loved me, you could never be hurt. If you held such fire of devotion in your eyes alone, surely you must harness those powers in every facet of life. And though I knew this, I could not help the clench of my throat round rattling whimpers as the crescendo of impending storm rose ominously in the distance. Your side was warm against my skin, the kiss of your feathers a comfort as I tucked my cheek to your shoulder. Hiding in the darkness of your skin, away from the lioness in the skies that caused my insides to quake.

"It'll be over soon." My tiny head nodded, for your words could never lie to me, and I would traipse happily into Hell itself should you ever give the word. Soft breath mussed my forelock, kisses from velvet lips at the base of my longest horn. "It's loud," I wanted to say. "Why are the skies angry?" I contemplated whispering. But my throat gripped each syllable like a death grip, and I remained silent as the grave. Would I ever be worthy of your love, if I could not even form the simplest of words? Why? Why could I not simply speak? Why was I so imperfect, and how could you stand to let me be such a disgrace? Surely I had no reasoning for the silence of my tongue, when my mind was ever singing. So instead I sighed, hating myself a little bit more, and tucked my cheek to your breast. Awaiting the end of my first storm, tucked hidden and safe beneath your wing where I belonged.

Your name doesn't register at first, for I know you only as Momma, and I am tired and drooping against your frame as the night wears on. It is unusual for me to be up so late as it is. I blearily look up to see Uncle standing before us, grassy eyes warm as he reaches for you. I've come to understand that there is something aching between you, old and unforgotten though it may be. It drives you together, and I see in the pair of you a need for reassurance that shines brightly through the consistent brushes of skin. A reminder of life and togetherness. But what was it that you had lost to cause this to exist?

I'm careful not to ask.

It is my turn soon, and I wearily lift my crown to Uncle's to return his caress, appreciative of his perception and the quiet tone of his voice. I am tired, and the stress of the storm will not allow me peace. I hope he has come merely for a visit, but I can feel the ripple of Momma's frame and that desire is immediately torn asunder. Ilaria's sudden presence is only underlining, though her warmth is both appreciated on a physical and emotional level. Uncle's eyes flicker away, and his frame begins to move, until my mismatched eyes fall upon a stocky paint with a collar round his muscular neck. I shrink back against Momma, even as Uncle's words reveal that this is my grandfather. Grandfather? But why had I never met him before?

I am sure he cannot see me, one of the benefits of the frail form I was cursed with. I selfishly hope to hide myself from his gaze, because blood or not, he is a stranger to me. But in my head I hear your words, telling me to be brave. That it's okay to be fearful, so long as I attempt to face it. The absence of your wing is a smooth motion, but the sudden reappearance of the piercing cold winds do nothing to encourage me. It is odd, to be laying on the cold sands when I am introduced, rather than standing. As if I could look any less pathetic on my split and aching hooves, but it was the thought that counted surely?

The stallion...no, grandfather. Grandfather approaches, muzzle lowering as his tongue forms my name with an accent I am unfamiliar with. It is pleasing to hear, though. Shyness dips my head at the loving look in deep golden gems, gaze flickering from the ebony of my prone bony knees to his eyes. "H-Hello Grandfather," my tongue manages to unstick from the roof of my mouth to say. I flicker my eyes nervously between Momma and Uncle. "Where...why didn't you come see me? Do you have a job like Uncle Cera?" It doesn't strike me that Grandfather could possibly live in another herd. The desert is all I know.

It doesn't register that I have forgotten those early memories of Aurelia and the Edge. I don't even remember much about Momma adopting me. Surely I am her real son?

It is a kindness, to forget.

Credits

Plot with me here!