the Rift

steadfast [vol vs nizho]

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

Sand crunches beneath colossal feathered hooves as the Indomitable moves smoothly through his home, his ruby gaze seeking his designated opponent. Considering his almost year-long stint in the Throat, he hasn't actually done a great deal of fighting upon its sands, and that is a problem he knows he needs to rectify. It is now apparent that the black warlord is going to be here for the long haul, and he is determined to test himself against whatever his home can throw at him. This season's designated spar seems the ideal time to begin his practice.

The Gladiator's process of choosing seasonal spars is not particularly high-tech. His dragons use their dextrous fingers to apply wet clay to a variety of stones in the vague shapes of the markings of his warriors - his stone is a large black one with one side painted in crusty faded clay to represent his white face, Nephele's has a crude approximation of some antlers, Ampere's has a jagged lightning bolt, and so on. One of the dragons then lifts these stones into the sky and drops them, and whichever stones land closest together are paired up as sparring partners for the season.

This time, Volterra's half-white stone lands next to one that has a small dappling of clay upon one side; he realises that this represents Nizho, the herd's youngest warrior. It would perhaps be understandable for the titan to breathe a sigh of relief and think he has been given an 'easy' duel, but he is quite the opposite - Volterra has learned never to underestimate an opponent, and just because Nizho is young does not mean he is going to be a pushover. The Indomitable himself is evidence enough that youth does not denote a poor warrior - he isn't even in his fourth year yet and already has the fighting experience of a man twice his age. This will be difficult, as all his battles are.

The early evening sun still holds some warmth, and Volterra feels a light sweat beginning to bead across his body. Each formidable muscle is cast into sharp relief by the rays of the dying sun, his powerful stride slowing to a halt as he finally locates his opponent. "Nizho," he rumbles in greeting, dipping his skull towards the pegaus. Ah, wings - aside from the shortlived fight against Tae, this will be the first time he's tangled with a pegasus out in the open, as he's usually engaged them among the trees. That will present a new sort of challenge, he's sure. "Are you ready?" It would be unsporting to attack the smaller man without warning, he thinks.

A small tower of sand billows into life at the giant's feet; it is a windy evening, and he wonders idly how that may affect the proceedings. Up in the heavens his dragons are wheeling about on the hefty breeze, having been forbidden from helping during this particular spar. Volterra narrows his eyes against any errant grains, and waits.

Seasonal DT spar for @Nizho !

Set in the Throat on a windy Birdsong day, early evening-ish. Feel free to have the first attack!

0/3 - 499 words

I NEVER FEAR DEATH OR DYING, I ONLY FEAR NEVER TRYING
I AM WHATEVER I AM, ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME NOW

image credits

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]