the Rift

curiosity. [open!]

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
We made a slightly unfortunate pair, the orange stallion and the black mare, both of us stained with white and misfortune. I found myself slightly surprised at his decision to respond to me, and pleased by the calm that seemed to be washing over him, now that the shock of my arrival wore off. As he looks at me, explaining his surprise, I cast my gaze back, letting it slide over him like water on a rock, stopping only where some groove kept my attention captive. The plait that ventures down the length of his neck and falls off his shoulder, out of my sight; the matching braids in his tail, long and tangled. The clean line of a blaze on his face. The matching, even socks. Everything is orderly, everything is contained - all but the ill-healed wound, the great scar so out of place upon this stallion. He spoke of discipline, of order - perhaps of war?

My examination was quick and subtle, gaze returning to focus upon Asur's eyes as he spoke again, three words so weighty that they sent a chill down my spine. I was betrayed, he said, and the tone of his voice leaves little doubt in my mind as to the sincerity of his words. For a moment, I falter in my distance; I want to comfort him, to lay my forehead against his neck and tell him that it will be alright here. For a moment, I want to be close to someone, and have them feel close to me.

But he shook his head and the moment passed, and when he spoke again I was calm, back under control - sympathy in my eyes, but not understanding, for I have never been betrayed. Asur looked back at me, and I tried to catch his gaze, letting a small smile drift across my lips. He told me more of himself than I would have anticipated, despite not truly telling me anything. Still, I asked what was no doubt a sensitive question, and his lack of hostility pleased me. I found myself curious about this stallion, intrigued by the mystery he surrounded himself with. In a way, it was a challenge, and I longed to rise to the task of earning his trust.

My musings were interrupted by his sudden statement, and I find myself grinning slightly at his mention of Mirage. "My younger sister," I agreed, nodding at his assessment of her leadership. Something occurs to me then, and I narrowed my eyes slightly. "Her deputy and mate is Vikram," I added, a hint of threat in my voice. Vikram and I may have had our differences, but I would be damned if any more stallions tried to win my sister's affections. Two were enough, although Torasin seemed to have drifted out of the picture somewhere down the line. Then I relax, for Asur's enthusiasm was adorable, and I did not want him to fall into discomfort. Things were going well. "If you have not pledged yourself to the Foothills, I am sure Mirage would have you among the Qian. I would vouch for you. You seem..." I faltered, suddenly realizing that I was offering him a compliment and probably should have left it alone. But I could not leave the sentence unended. "Good," I ended lamely, wincing at how bad it sounded against my ears. A bashful look was offered, more emotion than I tend to allow strangers to witness; it was a peace offering. I really did mean well.

Asur saved me from myself with his questions, and I nearly sighed in relief at the change in subject. Dark eyes drifted to the horizon, gaze directed into the distance and thoughts floating away. Why was I here? Why did I always leave, always seek the company of loneliness and empty space? Moments passed, sun beat down; at last I replied, without turning back to face him. "I came for the sunrise. I stayed for the view." Neck arched as I turned back to him, eyes slightly glazed and expression thoughtful. "It is lovely, isn't it?" I looked back at Asur, pale mane drifting into my eyes. It was so innocent, so hidden. All of these games we play, all the things we don't tell each other.

"I often prefer new places to new faces. Others do not always... I find comfort in solitude. I am close to my family, but have made few friends here." For a moment, the masks are dropped, and my voice dripped with sadness and frustration and longing. I shook my head, bright mane dancing across an onyx poll; raising myself, I let the mask fall back into place, eyes again glittering with casual curiosity. "What of yourself, Asur?" His voice was foreign and pleasant off my tongue; a slight, playful smile now creeps upon my face. "What are you doing here, on the top of the world? Did Smoke intimidate you so much, you needed to escape the Foothills already? Or perhaps you met their medic - I have heard she's quite the character." I laughed, a deep, pleasant sound, not often heard. I enjoyed the feeling of laughter, though, how it shook my body and filled me with warmth.

Messages In This Thread
curiosity. [open!] - by Asur - 06-20-2012, 05:53 PM
RE: curiosity. [open!] - by Rishima - 06-21-2012, 01:50 PM
RE: curiosity. [open!] - by Asur - 06-21-2012, 07:28 PM
RE: curiosity. [open!] - by Rishima - 06-21-2012, 09:16 PM
RE: curiosity. [open!] - by Asur - 06-22-2012, 05:41 PM
RE: curiosity. [open!] - by Rishima - 06-24-2012, 12:37 AM
RE: curiosity. [open!] - by Asur - 06-24-2012, 10:15 PM
RE: curiosity. [open!] - by Rishima - 06-25-2012, 03:13 AM
RE: curiosity. [open!] - by Asur - 06-25-2012, 06:27 PM