the Rift

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. [Complete]

Ree Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
[Image: reej.png]

Ree was nothing if not diligent. She listened to Cassiopeia’s discourse of this new world intently, soaking up the information as it was given to her, thirsty for the knowledge. It was a comforting feeling to have something else to think about, to have a decision to make, and as the roan mare described the different herd lands, Ree painted grandiose pictures of their landscapes and leaders in her mind’s eye as Cassiopeia described them. She wondered at the talk of Gods and Goddesses. She did not come from a family of strong, profound spirituality, but the idea of a higher power had always intrigued her in a terrifying, spectral sort of way. To know that another being entirely held your fate in their hands was beyond Ree’s logical, forward way of thinking. Perhaps she would like to visit this volcanic island of legend and other worldly beings someday.

She couldn’t help the reflexive shiver of delight as she imagined warmer, sunnier climates than this winter encased woodland she had stumbled upon. And though all the lands sounded intriguing, the childish amazement that sometimes drove some of her more conceited, petty thought yearned to visit this land of winged horses the blue roan mare spoke so fondly of. The genuine look of kindliness on the mare’s pretty face was encouragement enough for Ree, who felt drawn to the prospects of a real friendship, something she had never truly experienced. For so long her life had consisted of relationships in which she had been used, emotionally and physically. Recalling the people and places involved in them was an unwanted, painful reminder of the baggage she still carried. But it strengthened her too, invigorated her and made her even more determined to begin again. A phoenix rising from the ashes.

“Though I might be out of place amongst your winged brethren, I would gladly follow you to your home. Warmer climates would be a reprieve against this horrid cold.” Ree gave a soft chuckle, the sound accompanied by the wisps of her smoky breath on the cool, frostfall air. From beneath the wild, wayward strands of her forelock she peered back at the roan with an equally earnest grin, bespeaking a confidence that had not originally been there. “I have enjoyed your company as well, if I may be so bold. Solitude is not something I am accustomed to, and I have not liked it in extended quantities. If nothing else it would be a relief to share the journey with you, another voice to talk to – besides the ones in my head – would be a welcome change.”

Ree began to feel warmer, a radiance that had not previously been there, fighting back against the windy, wintery chill. Maybe this was the first step, the first in many of a long road she had yet to travel. Helovia in all its mystery and allure might hold the key to fixing the broken foundations and the cracked walls of a lonely, shattered soul. So many things had led Ree here to this, the triumphs and tragedies of life that had created who she was. A storm of emotions collect in her chest, she imagines in that space where her heart would be, and they fuel the searing burn of regret that lingers there, the sadness of loss. For a moment what would appear to be inexplicable sorrow shades the bay mare’s expression, a quick glimpse of heart break that is gone almost as quickly as it had come.

All healing occurred in due time, but some things once broken could never be mended again.

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep,
and miles to go before I sleep."

table by imi

Messages In This Thread
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. [Complete] - by Ree - 11-22-2012, 04:25 PM
RE: The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. [OPEN] - by Ree - 11-24-2012, 10:21 PM
RE: The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. [OPEN] - by Ree - 11-26-2012, 10:59 PM
RE: The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. [OPEN] - by Ree - 11-28-2012, 01:29 PM
RE: The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. [OPEN] - by Ree - 12-01-2012, 08:05 PM