the Rift

:: Seasonal Storytelling :: [Voting!]

Farai Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The Great Frostfall Miracle
By: Noella

The striped filly steps into the circle, the warm crackle of the fire warming the Plague past their regular coldness. Tonight was a night of celebration, storytelling. And, though most of her memories were fleeting from her, the calmness of the star-bitten night had brought one tale back into her mind as if she had heard it yesterday. “I have a story,” she calls out, a smile touching upon her black maw. “Mother told me this story, and I added to it.” With a glint in her eye and excitement in her voice, she begins, the flicka telling her tale of The Great Frostfall Miracle.

“Many, many years ago, even before Myrddin was a colt, there was a small band of horses. The land was always green, lush with wildflowers, and plenty to eat. The horses loved their home, enjoying every day and night in their safe haven. Soon, orangemoon came, and it was time to prepare for the coming Frostfall. But the horses were too busy playing and enjoying the sun to prepare for the coming seasons. Frostfall had never been harsh to them, as their valley protected them from the inclement weather. The gods frowned at their foolishness, and decided to remind the herd to respect the land, instead of take advantage of it. The weeks flew past, and the green world turned brown. Frostfall fell upon the herd, and at first, they enjoyed it. The colts and fillies romped in the snow, and even the adults enjoyed the snowy wonderland. But it didn’t take long before they realized how grave a mistake they had made. There was no food to eat, and soon the herd began to starve. The foals forgot how to play, and happiness was lost.

Soon, the head stallion decided he had to do something to save the herd. He left, wandering north, to see if he could find nourishment for his dying family. He wandered for miles, and as the days past, the herd lost hope that their king would ever return. They made due with tough sprigs frostfall had to offer, ignoring the pain in their stomachs and the regret in their hearts.

Late one night, many days since the head stallion had abandoned them, the horses rested fitfully under a full moon. Then, a noise roused several from their slumber. Keeping silent so the foals would stay sound asleep, the adults conversed, debating on the origin of the noise. No one could recognize the ringing sound, but they did identify the sound of hoof beats approaching quickly. Forms began to emerge from the darkness. One, two, three strong unicorns approached the herd in formation, one in front of the other. Stallions with magnificent antlers upon their brows instead of horns. Their fur was white, feathering upon each leg, and they were plump and fat with food. Leather strips were wrapped around their waists, bells attached and releasing their airy ring. Behind them they hauled a sleigh.

“My Family!” a familiar voice called out. It was their lead stallion, back from his voyage. “I traveled far north, and I found these lovely brothers. They had plenty of food stored for the winter, and I told them of us, of our hungry children, and they agreed to share with us.” The three unicorns released themselves from their burden and uncloaked their load, showing plentiful grasses and dried fruits upon their sled. The mares and stallions unloaded their feast, and even after filling their aching stomachs, there was still plenty more to carry them through the winter. They then made rounds, placing a mouthful of grass and a piece of fruit before each of the foals, a surprise for the morning as each awoke. The unicorns told the herd that they were welcome to keep the food, as long as they agreed to be kind to each other throughout the year, and to always provide for strangers as the unicorns had for them.

“So every year,” Farai exclaimed, finally done with her story, “If you’ve been a good colt or filly, the kind antlered unicorns of the north with deliver yummy treats to you! But if you’re bad, frostfall will come and keep you hungry until the snow thaws. And this time of year is when we celebrate our families and friends, and helping each other through times of need, and remember the miracle the unicorns gave that herd many years ago.” The filly smiled, proud, and cuddled back down in the circle of her new family. She hoped they had enjoyed her story, and eagerly listened for more unicorns to share theirs. Resting her head down she soon slipped off to sleep, her mind dancing with what will be left for her to feast on in the morning.

WC | 795
OOC: Here we go! I have Aud's permission to name her character. I may make a few edits, but here it is!

Messages In This Thread
RE: :: Seasonal Storytelling :: - by Farai - 12-11-2012, 02:56 AM
RE: :: Seasonal Storytelling :: - by Frost Fyre - 12-11-2012, 07:09 PM
RE: :: Seasonal Storytelling :: - by Chernobyl - 12-11-2012, 09:47 PM
RE: :: Seasonal Storytelling :: - by Shyr - 12-14-2012, 06:00 PM
RE: :: Seasonal Storytelling :: - by Tor - 12-14-2012, 07:32 PM
RE: :: Seasonal Storytelling :: - by Lena - 12-20-2012, 07:17 PM
RE: :: Seasonal Storytelling :: - by Lace - 12-26-2012, 04:03 PM
RE: :: Seasonal Storytelling :: - by Official - 01-01-2013, 12:20 PM
RE: :: Seasonal Storytelling :: [Voting!] - by Shuler - 01-06-2013, 10:17 AM