the Rift

Trick or Treat: Character #2, Daphnee
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
I traveled north with Fina for the first time since my washing back into the land of Helovia. Having returned from that awful place, my duties kept us home to play catchup during the last few weeks. Tonight was mild, eerily silent aside from the stray cry of a crow or wolf. Tonight the moon was high and magic seemed to be churning in the blood; I could feel something—almost threatening. Ahead were lights glowing an odd color of autumn, brightly shaded in hues of the sun, yet also dimmed by an unexplainable darkness. My wings curled themselves nervously tighter into the barrel which housed them; Fina ruffled shifted and glanced up from the slumber she had been resting in.

A practical mind caused me to pause midstep on an unfamiliar trail head, I could sense a dozen, likely more horses further on. Something seemed to radiate from this creepy trail—pulling me in a almost tantalizing way. Fina croaked in alarm and tugged my mane urging me to go back. I glanced at the bouncing flames, watching as their faint light cast ghostly shadows. Wary and oddly tense, “What is this?” Fina asked in a hushed whisper, as if anyone could hear her. I huffed and shook my head silently, also not wanting to speak aloud, lest a demon that ruled this nightime forest take notice of our presence.

There had been so much strange magic lately--one would think to have seen everything possible. How convenient that this world seemed keen on proving me wrong.

Treading lightly as if the ground would sink away the moment one hoof touched its dark contours. I took a hesitant step forward. Unsurprisingly earth remained where it was and we didn't suddenly vanish into a sinkhole. Still...something was different. The further we walked the more tingly I felt.

A steady breeze drew me down the one lane path, somewhere beyond the timber, someone screamed a blood curling shriek that caused us both to freeze. Turning toward the sound halfway expecting a monster to leap from the woods. Fina shrank into my feathers, hiding.

But the cries were the least of present concerns...something....began to slide across my skin. A spotless garment of unstained white lashed itself into the width of shoulders; it draped over my feathers and was tailored into position by an unseen force. Fina gasped and flew out from under the cloth, chirping all the while in surprise. I stopped and glanced back completely awestruck.

The cloth met around my neck, fashioning into the golden center that was my plated collar. Mane drew itself back by invisible fingers and a form fitting head-dress fell across my brow. The helmet of sorts was coated in gold and bore two tiny wings that seemed nearly lifelike in appearance; for they were formed from actual feathers.

My feet clicked across black stone, as the tingling went from spine to limbs. Fina landed on my back again, digging her feet into the pristine cloth, (though no matter how hard her talons lashed, they did not leave a mark.) Legs too had been adorned, weaving leather of ebony flowed along my limbs. It fashioned itself snugly against my skin, feathers sprouted from all four hooves. Tiny lifelike wings began to beat against the ground.

Surprised, but not entirely afraid by all this. I would have been given a chance to simply accept a sudden change of attire, alas, Fina's scream robbed me of such pleasure. I regarded her with eyes the size of plates. She was no longer a bird of fire, but one of gold. Two thick threads of lace fell from her head and down the crest of her body, it flowed much freer than feathers and trailed nearly four feet behind. Looking closely at the threads I could see a shape woven into the fabric. The body of a serpent. They danced without wind, slithering like a real belly crawler.

For a moment all I could do was just stare in disbelief as she thrashed around. My mouth had fallen slack, (luckily nothing flew in.) We both came to the same conclusion, sadly, when I glanced toward the opening we had just ventured from our hearts fell a foot lower. Said path was completely close off by thick brush. How convenient. Apparently the environment could sense my hesitation, for the moment I even broached the idea of flying off— overhanging limbs which appeared dead to my eyes, moved closer together. Blocking the sky from my vision and darkening a nearly pitch black trail.

Fina squawked one final awkward time, then fell silent as she also realized that our paths of escape had been closed off. Somewhere in the trees, a hissing laugh mocked our situation. "Come," it whispered when the snickers had died off. I shivered, though the cold hadn’t bothered me. Fina leaned forward tensely.

After a steadying breath, we started down the only path that could be taken. Voices got louder and eventually we came to a gathering of individuals who seemed to be clustering around a canine of sorts. I lingered in the back, falling into a spot near the front as it came open. Fina glared protectively at the nearby horses, her feet were digging marks into my flesh. The gathering gave us some semblance of comfort. Said dog started to speak and it was then that I noticed our company wasn't part of this living world. Fear gnawed at my chest, fear of the unknown. Fear of being dragged back into the portal of existence that didn’t suit those of mortal blood.

She offered up her name and a menacing dare. I stiffened and said nothing as the voices rose up all around me, Fina hissed out of spite—daring the monster to attack. Quietly I soothed her by saying softly, “Be easy, no reason to make an enemy when it might not be necessary.” All others came to a quick conclusion that said individual wasn’t dangerous, they thrust forward with bold statement absent concern for wellbeing or trickery. I frowned but shoved the bile that had risen in my throat. Stepping forward my quaking vocals where surprisingly still and I forced words to slide free without a tremble, “Let's see then.”

OOC: Midas is dressed as the greek god Hermes, and Fina is his living staff.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd268...olour1.jpg

^Image of Hermes^ Only difference, Midas is wearing a white robe.

Image Credits
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trick or Treat: Character #2, Daphnee - by Korra - 10-17-2013, 01:34 PM
RE: Trick or Treat: Character #2, Daphnee - by Elita - 10-17-2013, 02:42 PM
RE: Trick or Treat: Character #2, Daphnee - by Speirling - 10-17-2013, 06:04 PM
RE: Trick or Treat: Character #2, Daphnee - by Sikeax - 10-17-2013, 08:10 PM
RE: Trick or Treat: Character #2, Daphnee - by Midas - 10-17-2013, 11:05 PM
RE: Trick or Treat: Character #2, Daphnee - by Eribor - 10-18-2013, 08:22 PM
RE: Trick or Treat: Character #2, Daphnee - by Leovan - 10-19-2013, 05:49 PM