the Rift

[DROP] From the Center of the Earth

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

Small quest completed, with help, of course, Torleik cast a concerned glance towards the sky. It had been nearly two full days since he had left to retrieve the gifts for this strange and abandoned babe and he worried the Earth Turtle would no longer be there. Perhaps someone had made it back before him and had been awarded the orb already? That would be...highly disappointing. As long as it doesn't go to the damn Pegasus, he growled in his head, thinking on the blue, winged mare. She had said nothing when she arrived and had kicked off the ground to the sky more quickly than either he or the other ground-bound mare had left to complete their quests.

The fish in his mouth was beginning to taste truly horrid and Torleik knew that it was likely going bad more quickly than usual under this oppressively hot sun. That was irksome, but as frustrating as a spoiling fish was to him, he knew that bringing fresh food was not the point. The babe would not be hatching the moment they all returned; the point was to show knowledge, indicate he knew what to feed the thing and that he could obtain such food.

Torleik snorted. He'd like to see either of the other two bring back a fish. He doubted the females even knew how to fish in any manner. His thoughts drifted back to when he was but a small child, gangly legs and stunted horns.

"Father, why are you taking the fish from the water?" he had asked, curious to see his large sire performing such an act.

His father had turned and smiled, looking up at the sky. "We fish for the birds in the sky, to pay them for their services." He nodded towards the rocky coast. "And we fish for tusked ones on the coast, so that they might guard our eastern borders."

Little Torleik had been confused. "But...can't they do that for themselves?"

"Yes, son," his father chuckled. "But we have little else to give them in trade or barter. Most of the thing we use or need they do not, for they live more for the water than for the land. So, our great-great-grandfathers learned from a wise raven how to tempt the fish with worms so that we might snatch them from the water. The raven, pleased with our ancestors' skill, taught their sons, our great-grandfathers, how to cast nets into the water and catch many fish at once. Grateful for the raven's wisdom, they repaid him in an abundant harvest of fish. And we have fished ever since for the birds of the sky - for they taught us how," he rumbled, pressing his muzzle softly to Torleik's tiny head in affection.

The dual-horned stallion of the present noticed his pace had slowed with the thoughts of his past, and he wearily picked up his feet. The ache in his chest for his family, his home - when would it go away? His father and mother, the stallions and mares of his village...he missed them so much. This place, Helovia, it was not home. Every new area he discovered reminded him of this and only widened the chasm in his chest.

That was why he needed to rescue this little babe. This thing, whatever it was, had been abandoned and had no home, no family, no place in this world. Torleik knew this pain and wished to shelter this poor, defenseless little creature from as much of it as he could. Gem-littered ground told him he was close and the rabicano stallion pushed through the tall grasses, eyes narrowing hatefully as he saw the blue Pegasus bitch had already returned.

And with what, grasshoppers and a mud-daubed nest? Torleik eyed her with scorn and wondered where the other mare was as his approach turned highly cautious. He still had major qualms about this molten hole in the ground and despised coming near it. But it was not quite as difficult this time, and he was relieved to see that the Earth Turtle and the babe were still there. So his slow steps brought him near, and he set down the fish on the ground, near the orb.

"I have returned," he said, reaching back for the mechanical nest attached to his back and mane. It released when his teeth clamped on it, and he set it down in front of the turtle. "It is foolish to think that a child can be raised wholly alone, so I sought help. I had a friend who is versed in mechanics craft this nest for the babe so that it might have a place to sleep." He paused. "In my time, I have noticed birds enjoy sparkly, shiny things - I thought perhaps since the creature looks half-avian, it would enjoy the gems on the nest." He moved it around with a hoof, showing how the stones sparkled when they caught the sunlight.

Picking the grasses out of the nest with his teeth, he popped the button on the side with his hoof and watched the nest morph into a bird-like toy, then pressed the one on the other side to make its wings flap about. "It is also a toy," he stated simply. Torleik returned the machine to its nest form and put the grass back. "As the avian part looks to be a bird of prey, I brought back a fish, assuming it has a carnivorous nature."

Torleik took a step back and gazed almost wistfully at the orb, then turned his attention to the blue Pegasus mare. The hate in his eyes was unmistakable. Pegasi were not nurturers of life, but takers of it. This bitch was not fit to have this small babe - it would die in her hooves, he was sure of it.

-------------------

Torleik's gift:
- a nest that is also a wind-up toy
- a fish for food
- ALL HIS FEELS AND LOVE

Torleik's face towards Ampere= >:-[

All were retrieved in this thread: Set Down the Blueprints and Get to Work

TORLEIK

"I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection."

[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
From the Center of the Earth - by Random Event - 10-04-2013, 06:14 PM
RE: From the Center of the Earth - by Torleik - 10-04-2013, 08:12 PM
RE: From the Center of the Earth - by Hotaru - 10-04-2013, 08:45 PM
RE: From the Center of the Earth - by Ampere - 10-06-2013, 11:55 AM
RE: From the Center of the Earth - by Ampere - 10-08-2013, 12:40 AM
RE: From the Center of the Earth - by Torleik - 10-10-2013, 04:57 PM
RE: From the Center of the Earth - by Hotaru - 10-10-2013, 07:23 PM