the Rift

[OPEN] dreams are for those who sleep

Cantante Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
A mighty evening wind pushes the clouds about in an aggressive manner. Not being heavy storm clouds they haven’t the strength to fight back and so are shoved this way and that across the darkening sky. One looking up from the ground of the Threshold would be hard pressed to tell what exactly is going on but the winged creatures currently in flight all know of it and battle to maintain their chosen courses against the violence of that wind. It could not have existed so in the still heat of the Tallsun day but as night creeps ever onward it gains its power. Only one among the swirling, swerving birds is too big and strong to be blown off track by this malevolent gust. In fact she is not a bird at all but one of the winged equine beings that call this planet home.

This planet might be home but the fragment of continent below her now is new, unknown. She peers down through the wind vs. cloud battle surrounding her in an attempt to take the measure of this land. There is not much to be seen through the dense tree cover. None the less, whatever she did make out must have met with approval for she banks and circles gliding down towards the ground.

I have not slept well in years it seems. My nights are haunted by the ghostly scolding of Kabear. It is not truly his ghost of course, but merely my own conscience praying on the guilty thoughts and memories that I do not guard closely enough. I should have gone looking for him but at the expense of what, our child’s safety or even her life? He would not have thanked me for that in the end. So I made the safe choice as it seems I always do and this time it came at the cost of my own sanity.

Time passes and I grow oh so weary, the distances that I can travel in a day are not as great as they once were. Today’s possible distance has been pushed to its very limit and I must land now whether I like my options or not. What I can see of the ground below seems inviting enough and so, after spying out an area where the trees grow further apart and allow the space needed for landing, I begin the downward climb.

The landing strip singled out is an area where the trees grow tall and wide leaving larger than usual spaces between them. There among the ancient, towering giants the bird girl makes her landing. Her legs, tucked up under her belly for most of the flight, stretch to meet the ground and her large wings rotate flaring out and pushing back to help break the forward momentum. She manages a graceful, if slightly wobbly landing. It is clear from her unsteady legs that she has been flying for the better part of the day. She walks as one unused to land swaying slightly side to side. Her wings fold, long black feathers trailing on the forest floor behind her as she moves towards the base of a redwood tree.

My legs want to buckle beneath me but I force them to hold my weight. This is no time to sprawl unconscious upon the ground no matter how tired I am. I am in an alien land, one that I do not known and that does not know me. There could be any number of dangerous creatures waiting for the chance to sneak up on incautious pray. So I keep my feet and come instead to lean against the rough bark of a large, red tinted tree trunk. At least now I won’t fall over and can move quickly if needed. There I stand fighting to keep my eyes open and knowing that I need to find water but not quite able to muster the energy to go in search of it…

Messages In This Thread
[OPEN] dreams are for those who sleep - by Cantante - 10-07-2013, 01:39 AM
RE: [OPEN] dreams are for those who sleep - by Cantante - 10-09-2013, 02:00 AM
RE: [OPEN] dreams are for those who sleep - by Cantante - 10-15-2013, 12:59 AM
RE: [OPEN] dreams are for those who sleep - by Cantante - 10-16-2013, 12:54 AM