the Rift

[OPEN] dreams are for those who sleep

Cantante Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The first of the stallions was there from the beginning, having arrived before and then remaining as a silent audience to the windstorm heralding Cantante's appearance. He is a handsome fellow, this bystander, of a graceful build much like her own and even sharing in that very Spanish abundance of hair. His presence was not noted when she surveyed the area as a possible landing spot. An oversight on her part and quite possibly a dangerous one. What else might she have missed in this exhaustion induced haze? She was lucky this time or so appearances would suggest. Of course appearances can not always be trusted…

A calm, deep voice wakes me and I stiffen reflexively for I know I should not have been asleep. I’d managed not to startle though, maybe he will not be able to tell how low I’d let my guard slip. White eyes peer out from beneath my thick forelock and a momentary spark of hope surges in my heart as it always does when I come to a new place. He is not Kabear, I am not quite that optimistically delusional. Maybe Kabear is here though, maybe this stranger knows of him. I almost forget even that faint hope as my gaze meets his angelic blues, all I can think of then is what very big, very dangerous eyes he has.

What was it he’d said? Oh yes… “no harm”. They were words spoken with what sounded like sincerity and, trusting soul that I am, I believe him despite the eyes. I take a few steps forward and extend my muzzle reaching for comfort, for welcome, for understanding, for support, for simple warmth… for anything really, that is how lost I am feeling right now.

The mare does not run from the stallion and that is how it is, the should haves are now behind us. That caution and worry she seemed so wrapped up in upon arrival has deserted her rather quickly. But, to be fair he is acting gentlemanly.

Enter stranger number two…

My sudden desperate reach does not connect before hoof beats shake me out of the waking dream I seem to have fallen into. Ears flick back to catch the sounds I should have heard much sooner and turning about I am suddenly confronted with a white, skull-like face. Perhaps the dream state isn’t entirely shaken after all. “Pray tell me what brings you here so close to the reapers time...” the other had said. Maybe he meant it as a warning, maybe that warning was too late. My eyes widen in fear and my only thought is to get away but my body does not respond as it should, I have been too cruel to it of late.

One was acceptable but two it seems is more than she can take. She stumbles backwards showing none of her usual grace and only just manages to maneuver around the tree that was previously supporting her. At that point in the retreat she happens to look up again and catch a full glimpse of this new male. Halting she turns her head away rather sheepishly, “Oh! Sorry, I thought… well, never mind.” Her voice is dry, scratchy and sounds as if it is paining her to speak.

Yes, never mind what you thought Cantante. This is certainly no Reaper for what Reaper would ever appear wearing green? No, he is just another kind native equine here to welcome the poor lost wander to his fine home. I relax again and then notice that both males, like my dear Bellisima, suffer from whatever mutated gene results in the lack of wings. My heart leaps for them both, what a thing to do without! Still, a small unkind part of my mind rejoices to know that it is not a loss endured my daughter alone.

Their words sink in now and I look back and forth between them. Blue eyes offers a place to rest, to recharge and green hair, who calls himself Solace, offers a home and a family… at that I take a step forwarded almost without realizing it and he could not possibly have missed the longing in my eyes. It does not last though, this is his home, his family that he offers and what I want is my family… my dead family. No one can give me that. A place to rest, to recharge and be away to the skies again in the morning… that sounds better. But oh, I do not know! I do not know and this frightens me. I have always been so sure, so confident in myself and my choices.

The pale white eyes squeeze shut in confusion, indecision and the mare sways again back and forth as if fighting against two warring forces. “Water...” she croaks the word out at last, “can you show me the nearest water?” The inquiry is directed to the air between the stallions rather than one or the other and her eyes do not open as she awaits a response.

@[ARLO] @[SOLACE]

OOC: Nope! Don't mind at all, nice to meet you both!

Messages In This Thread
[OPEN] dreams are for those who sleep - by Cantante - 10-07-2013, 01:39 AM
RE: [OPEN] dreams are for those who sleep - by Cantante - 10-09-2013, 02:00 AM
RE: [OPEN] dreams are for those who sleep - by Cantante - 10-15-2013, 12:59 AM
RE: [OPEN] dreams are for those who sleep - by Cantante - 10-16-2013, 12:54 AM