the Rift

Something to say [Open/Quest]

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
His dragon's rise is met with Kali's shrill screams; although much smaller than the older companion, she shows no sign of fear, scrambling up my nape and spreading her pale wings wide, talons slashing at the air as she attempts to rise onto her hind legs. Sadly, any awareness of the consequences her actions may have on others is still too complex for her young mind, and I wince as she grips my mane with ferocious claws, stabilizing herself against my head as she continues her onslaught. Her furious cries pierce my ears, painfully intense; I wince against her chattering, willing her to hush. We're fine, it's fine, I run on repeat through my mind, even as I resist the urge to flinch against the movement of dragon wings. There was a time when I would have criticized Torasin for 'hiding' behind his bonded, but now I could understand all too well the stubborn tenacity of companions.

Kali finally relaxes in her protective stance, although her blue eyes still glare at the brown, long ears flat against her avian skull in obvious disapproval. With a low growl she retreats, leaping gracefully from my shoulders, ivory tail held high in the air as though to say, you know what? I'm done with all of you and your foolishness. She pads away through the grass, wandering towards the poor child who must be incredibly confused by our drama; I can feel Kali's interest in the stranger, and watch from the corner of my eye as she rises onto her hind legs and coos at the pale mare, tilting her head in interest. Surprisingly, I immediately miss the support of my tiny gryphon... but I am glad that she is safely out of harm's way.

Meanwhile, Torasin has begun his justification, and I turn my attention back to him, heart growing harder as I leave thoughts of Kali behind. The raging fury that the idea of his betrayal had stoked cooled into a frosty prairie, a delicate vale of icy ridges and deep crevasses that beckoned threateningly, daring him to attempt a cross without sinking to his doom. There was little room for error, less for lies; I stare at him intently, dark eyes scanning his face as he explains his reasoning. And... what? Disbelief edged into my mind, a strange sense of incredulity that is tinted with blank amusement. I glance at Solstice, willing the painted damsel to back up my surprise, but she seemed understanding, even supportive of Torasin's reasoning.

Confusion dances across my brow.

"Really?" I question, dark and accented tones seeking for some piece of reason in this puzzle. There is genuine curiosity in my tones, sincere wonder at the staunch confidence in the Sun's superior ability. "The Sun alone can grant healing power? What of the earth, of plants that purge and soothe ailments? What of the strength of water? I have seen many types of healing that do not involve light; is Helovian magic truly so exclusive?" It puzzles me, this inability to look for other options, this belief in one path and one alone. And, in truth, I still knew little of the properties magic held in Helovia. Every land seems to be different, to obey certain rules. I would have to ask the Lady for further enlightenment on this matter.

But I had fallen off subject, had become distracted by my ever present thirst for knowledge. Shaking my head, I turned back to Torasin, pale mane hanging lazily against my eyes. For a long moment I examine him, contemplating his words. He has chosen this path for the Qian, he says, and how can I fault him in his desire to help those he loves? Was there any limit to what I would do for my family, the lengths I would go to? And yet, to preach of a tyrant's greatness, to firmly proclaim that the 'glorious sun' had reached out his purging light, as though the lands scarred by flame had deserved to be so marked? I had seen the Edge as it burned, watched as lives were shattered and innocents flayed with livid fire. No, I could not preach of the greatness in these actions. I have made my judgement. I shake my head, gazing at Torasin with sorrow in my eyes.

"Your cause is noble, but your methods are not." I sigh softly. Perhaps I have simply lived too long, seen to much to be tolerant of bigotry and tyranny, to be able to deceive myself and lie. "I take no issue with your seeking the Sun's help, Torasin, and I know Mirage would not either, but I simply cannot believe that spreading these... this filth is the only way you can achieve your goals. Perhaps, had you seen the destruction in the Edge, you would comprehend just how cruel your support is. Even we did not escape unscathed; he took his fury out on Mirage, my brothers, and myself, when all we did was attempt to calm the situation." The sharp pain of flames licking at our hocks remained a distinct feeling, and although I had escaped with the least damage, even I had not been untouched.

Messages In This Thread
Something to say [Open/Quest] - by Torasin - 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM
RE: Something to say [Open/Quest] - by Torasin - 08-12-2012, 03:13 AM
RE: Something to say [Open/Quest] - by Query - 08-14-2012, 04:58 PM
RE: Something to say [Open/Quest] - by Torasin - 08-16-2012, 04:59 PM
RE: Something to say [Open/Quest] - by Query - 08-17-2012, 10:34 PM
RE: Something to say [Open/Quest] - by Solstice - 08-17-2012, 11:32 PM
RE: Something to say [Open/Quest] - by Rishima - 08-18-2012, 01:21 AM
RE: Something to say [Open/Quest] - by Torasin - 08-18-2012, 06:23 AM
RE: Something to say [Open/Quest] - by Query - 08-18-2012, 01:56 PM
RE: Something to say [Open/Quest] - by Solstice - 08-20-2012, 02:02 AM
RE: Something to say [Open/Quest] - by Rishima - 08-23-2012, 02:16 PM