the Rift

home is a fire; open

Gabriel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

"Afraid of decision, I buried my finer feelings in the depths of my heart and they died there."

He smiles politely as they answer, giving each his attention as they spoke, and when they finish he nods. “Thank you. That's certainly welcome news.” The unicorn's answer – Xanthos, he reminds himself – was in particular a politician's sort of reply, whether or not he meant it to be one. But what kind of answer had he expected? 'No, we're all at peace here, and always have been,'? He was not so naïve as that.

Regardless of what might happen, Gabriel would not be drawn into a fight – not a war and not a spat between herd-lands. Battle was brought on by beliefs, and there were precious few things the red stallion believed in. It was good to know that, for now at least, there was no trouble stirring. Perhaps he'd finally found a place he could stay. Even wanderers needed a rest now and again.

But not quite yet. Another breeze was stirring, and as evening drew on the stifling, thick heat would give way to something else. Despite the salt-sweat on his skin, the weariness through his lean body, the burrs and dirt and the ribs showing beneath his red sides, he felt drawn further in. Further in, and, eyeing the hills rising along the horizon, perhaps further up.

“I'm grateful for you welcome, friends, but I learn best if I wander alone – and there's much to learn here.” The chestnut flashes a quick smile, inclines his head to both of them and lets his coffee-dark eyes rest for a moment on the young cat. “I hope to see you both again someday.”

And he walks on, though his thoughts linger with the unicorn and the cat, wondering what it might be like to have such a companion – and beyond that, to never be alone.

gabriel

Messages In This Thread
home is a fire; open - by Gabriel - 10-26-2013, 12:27 PM
RE: home is a fire; open - by Solace - 10-26-2013, 03:25 PM
RE: home is a fire; open - by Xanthos - 10-26-2013, 04:45 PM
RE: home is a fire; open - by Gabriel - 10-26-2013, 09:17 PM
RE: home is a fire; open - by Solace - 10-26-2013, 10:48 PM
RE: home is a fire; open - by Xanthos - 10-27-2013, 09:24 PM
RE: home is a fire; open - by Gabriel - 10-30-2013, 08:39 PM