the Rift

my mother told me i had a chameleon soul*

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
Look down, the ground below is crumbling
Look up, the stars are all exploding

The startled posture which swept through the raven, winged mare caused Africa to pause; to recalculate her approach and soften her confidently casual manner. It was far easier for those of their species to read each other’s familiar body-language than perhaps understand the regal, timeless sort of poise demonstrated by a Unicorn. Africa, though she did not ordinarily choose to mingle with the horned or antlered kind- they were so dissimilar and difficult to relate to really, found Silas to be a far less complicated companion. The young mare’s lacework of mottled grey wing feathers smoothed quickly, streamlining her outlook dramatically (though not nearly as much as it might have with two wings), so that she would not appear overly imposing or overbearing.

Perhaps the respectful gesture was well received because as she watched carefully, thoughtfully and vigilantly through the gentle amber eye issued that way, Africa did notice the other settle somewhat. She smiled quietly, as the black Pegasus returned a surprisingly deep and pleasant greeting; nodding reassuringly to each of her fair, though unsettled questions. It became all too apparent to the dappled, one winged mare then that her and Silas’s nervous company had only just stumbled into this maze of shaggy redwoods which was Helovia’s Threshold.
Africa chuckled softly, not because she found the other’s discomfort entertaining, but it was more that she could relate indeed- having been here herself one whole year ago (when Midas took her under his wing; hypothetically speaking). At that moment, when her rough, grey whiskered lips parted to comfort the other horse, another stepped through the thick veil of shade towards them.

Her neck curled around so she could view the new comer as he appeared between two large pines; to assess the fashion of his approach in one swooping motion with her perceptive, intelligent gaze. Silas too had shuffled around and was regarding the unfamiliar stallion with a cagy, cautious eye. He need not have been concerned however, because as Africa recognized her herd-brother her eyes lit up with joy, and the corners of her wrinkled mouth followed suit.

Levi greeted them both charmingly, and Africa smiled easily in response. Then, as though struck by some phenomenon unseen by either she or her beloved, he came forward with an outstretched neck to allow his soft muzzle to brush tenderly against her own. Their friendship was as innocent and fresh-faced as an infant, and should there have been more opportunity in the seasons past for them to grow that bond, undoubtedly it would have prospered. Never the less she blew gently against the trail of his whispering breath as it broke into bright melody, appreciating his unrestrained kindness. Africa could feel the heat between them radiating, magnified by the stewing morbid warmth of the day, though she cared little in that moment.

She was not the submissive sort, nor passive or meek (not since her ‘rebirth’), though fell into a cooperative silence when the stallion appeared to want to speak again. His gaze was gentlemanly- much how Africa recalled it to be, and it had been centred upon their glossy black company, the newcomer to their world; Helovia. Africa’s wing fidgeted by her rib-lined barrel, sleek black flight-feathers tickling the muscular bulge of her thigh; then lifting away slightly so that any slip of rogue breeze might find its way between.

Patiently she listened as the silver-eyed soldier spoke, nodding appropriately as she agreed with his various, and thorough explanations. “Our family is intimate and spirited.” Africa offered as a valid after-thought, tilting her face shrewdly as she added her own, more feminine perspective to his introduction to their home. “There is no pressure of course friend, and you are more than welcome to bed within our secure borders for any length of time, should you need time to process our offer, and think about the opportunity it presents. I would be more than willing to share with you my knowledge of Helovia’s lore- to give you a greater perspective, I mean.” Her young face lowered as she concluded, blinking softly through a generous smile. “What is your name? Forgive our enthusiasm!”

credits

Messages In This Thread
my mother told me i had a chameleon soul* - by Ilacta - 10-30-2013, 06:39 PM
RE: my mother told me i had a chameleon soul* - by Ilacta - 10-31-2013, 09:54 AM
RE: my mother told me i had a chameleon soul* - by Africa - 10-31-2013, 06:04 PM
RE: my mother told me i had a chameleon soul* - by Ilacta - 11-01-2013, 10:22 AM