the Rift

General Writing Help

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Kahlua/Sevin:

Interesting that you should bring up Oxy. When I first started reading him, I will admit I was thoroughly thrown off by the second-person narrative I read. I think that comes from the fact that I'm not used to reading second-person narratives. It isn't a common POV chosen for fiction writing - authors usually either go with first-person "I" narratives or third-person ones.

That said, honestly, I think the second-person perspective allows Oxy to have funny moments in different ways. For example, in Dalibor's threshold thread, when Oxy realizes he's being rude and you wrote, "Nice. You'll make a lot of friends that way." or something similar, I actually chuckled. I think the format lent itself to making that particular part of the writing more powerful.

If it helps you get into his character, there's nothing wrong with that. As for readers getting into his character...well, I can't speak to that other than for myself. It took me a good while, and I'll be honest: I didn't like it at first. It had nothing to do with the quality of writing, because you write well, but I'm just not used to second-person style, and my brain is kinda snooty. It likes what it likes, and what it's used to.

However, now that I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me much. I have a thing against other writers ordering me what to feel or think or experience when I'm reading, and second-person sort of amplifies that because everything is "you did" or "you said" or "you felt." Well, no I didn't because I'm fully aware I'm not that character. Strangely enough I don't have the same amount of mental resistance to first person "I saw/I said/I felt" sort of things...perhaps because I can clearly delineate that it is the author or character whose mind I'm getting a front row seat to view.

Anyway. This is rambling. Bottom line: To help others get immersed, I personally prefer third-person narrative the most, but first-person narrative can also be highly effective. Second-person narrative I can deal with, but I'm never fully comfortable with the sense of immersion - after all, I know I'm not a huge, drug-addicted, hilarious oaf, now am I? But that's not to say you can't write in second-person. For others it may be just fine, and if it's how you write the character best, then I certainly can't argue with that.

^ I doubt any of that was helpful :P I apologize.
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
General Writing Help - by Torleik - 11-01-2013, 02:06 AM
RE: General Writing Help - by Cypress - 11-01-2013, 05:49 PM
RE: General Writing Help - by Kahlua - 11-02-2013, 01:10 PM
RE: General Writing Help - by Torleik - 11-11-2013, 04:02 PM
RE: General Writing Help - by Kahlua - 11-11-2013, 06:09 PM
RE: General Writing Help - by Torleik - 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM
RE: General Writing Help - by Aurelia - 11-11-2013, 04:21 PM